Hi Guys

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Welcome to TOL, STR!

I love to listen to RC Sproul though I disagree on his Covenantalism and Preterism.

I've got lots of cassette tapes by Sproul that I've listened to over the years.

S.T. Ranger

I've heard MacArthur say that no baby (while still a baby) is or was ever condemned to hell, but that all babies that die are saved.

I am not surprised, MacArthur is one of the most sound Teachers in our day, as far as I am concerned.

I think if we consider the teaching of Scripture in it's totality we see a general pattern for God judging men based on the revelation provided to them, their understanding of that revelation, and what they do with it. While it is popular to think that anyone who has never heard the Gospel and accepted it will go to Hell, we look to Paul's teaching concerning the revelation of God in Creation, the hearts of men, and the Word of God. Now Gentiles that did not have the Law can be seen to be said to have fulfilled it, despite not having specific revelation. So too with those that have never heard the Gospel, they will neither be excused nor abandoned because they are not completely without revelation, namely, that of Creation and the internal witness of God given to all men. Those that have received specific revelation will be judged according to their response, whether accepting or rejecting. Those that have rejected the Gospel of Christ as it has been revealed under New Covenant conditions (as opposed to the prophecy of Christ in the Old Testament that, while spoken of, was not revealed in specifics) will be held more accountable than those under the Law, because they have specific revelation concerning Christ, meaning their rejection is not through ignorance or misunderstanding, but because it is the Holy Spirit Who has revealed to them...reject Christ understanding that which they reject.

Going back to babies, it would seem reasonable that God would be just in judgment of those that have not had opportunity to understand to the point where they are held culpable. This would, in my view, extend also to those who may be mentally incapacitated.

I believe firmly that God has made provision for babies just as He has done consistently for all men throughout the Ages, judging justly and according to the response men have given to the revelation of Himself provided to them.

The same is true for us as Christians, not in the eternal sense, but in regards to reward: we are all held to accountability for the revelation of God to ourselves, in our own understanding, and according to our response to that revelation. We have the possibility of obedience, just as we have the possibility of disobedience, but, one thing we can comfort ourselves in, being children of God, is that the One that demands parents to train up their children in the way they should go will not fail, as our Heavenly Father, to that very thing for His children.

God bless.

S.T. Ranger

Sproul has many good videos on youtube, some of which I have posted elsewhere on this Forum. Since I believe a child begins life at conception, my wife and I believe we have two children in Heaven already. (We lost two during pregnancy ... but that's for another discussion.) It seems obvious to me too in spite of their differences, Sproul and MacArthur are friends.

Very sorry for your loss, though I would not count it as loss, but gain. I too believe life begins at conception and when you arrive in Heaven you have that distinct honor of, for eternity, having children there. My wife and I have had no children, and sometimes I am grieved at that, but at other times I look at this as a blessing of sorts as well. And it Eternity which comes to mind when it comes to children, and that is where the grief comes from.

But that is just how the Lord has decided for us, at least for now, so I do not worry overmuch about it.

These guys set a good example how certain doctrinal differences don't necessitate enmity, which is something I try to practice. I look at my own errors over the years and understand that we are all likely in error about something, lol. One preacher said "There's a little bit of heretic in all of us," lol. If we use doctrinal differences to divide ourselves, then we will never use doctrinal positions to unite. Of course I do not mean we are to abandon a firm position on sound doctrine, only that we do not use that as an occasion to lower others or worse, lift ourselves up.

God bless.

S.T. Ranger

I hope you're ready to "lose your religion" and believe the Bible, S.T. ! :wave2:

Funny you should say that, because I am in fact opposed to religion and the religious.

Of course, understanding what Religion is can help all of us.

God bless.

S.T. Ranger

Why can I not see the "Exclusively Theology Board?"

I have posted on a thread there, reaching it from a link on the homepage, but I don't see it when I click on Forums.

God bless.

alwight

Why can I not see the "Exclusively Theology Board?"

I have posted on a thread there, reaching it from a link on the homepage, but I don't see it when I click on Forums.

God bless.
I think you may need to exceed 100 posts or serve out a period of time first, I can't remember exactly which, but keep posting and don't go away is my advice.

S.T. Ranger

I think you may need to exceed 100 posts or serve out a period of time first, I can't remember exactly which, but keep posting and don't go away is my advice.

I assumed that might be the reason, but thanks for advice.

Terrible being a "rookie," lol.

By the way, if you have any advice concerning grammar please let me know. Seriously. I appreciate constructive criticism.

And by the way, not sure if I mentioned it in my OP here, but I usually try to limit my posts to about a 1000 posts on each forum, and then move on. I do have a few where I revisit from time to time, but I hope to get to as many forums as I can.

alwight

I assumed that might be the reason, but thanks for advice.

Terrible being a "rookie," lol.

By the way, if you have any advice concerning grammar please let me know. Seriously. I appreciate constructive criticism.

And by the way, not sure if I mentioned it in my OP here, but I usually try to limit my posts to about a 1000 posts on each forum, and then move on. I do have a few where I revisit from time to time, but I hope to get to as many forums as I can.
If you are referring to "Atheist" rather than "atheist" my spell-checker doesn't want me to use "christian" rather than "Christian" but "theist" and "atheist" are just fine. :)

S.T. Ranger

If you are referring to "Atheist" rather than "atheist" my spell-checker doesn't want me to use "christian" rather than "Christian" but "theist" and "atheist" are just fine. :)

Okay, just keep in mind that it is for emphasis and distinction, lol. The term Christian is always capitalized, of course, which is a testimony to the respect I think the title is given.

God bless.

alwight

Okay, just keep in mind that it is for emphasis and distinction, lol. The term Christian is always capitalized, of course, which is a testimony to the respect I think the title is given.

God bless.
Then perhaps you are respecting a "religion" that pretty much all atheists imo don't have because you have decided it is?
Must all people have a religion perhaps?