Hello TheologyOnline!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtB

I guess for my first post, I will try to explain my current position.

I'm recently left the military after 6 1/2 years, E-5, honorable discharge with 1 combat tour. Iraq changed my life forever, and I now have seen the potential for grave harm from religion first hand.

I'm an Atheist first, Deist second. Do I believe in god? No, but I admit the possibility of a god who does not write books, does not care about your sex life and does not interfere, because that's all I see evidence for.

I was raised Christian but it never really took. When I was a kid I liked scary movies and stories. So I defined very early what I thought was real and what wasn't. I had no fear of anything I considered not real, I was scared of real stuff, falling off my bike. I realized as an adult that it never even occurred to me to be scared of the attic, the door to which was in my own bedroom closet as a young child. I think god never took in my mind because I had no fear of his reprisal. I played at being Christian until about age 17. I finally decided that my unvoiced internal battle of "did I believe this" finally got to me, and I decided I really cared if my "religion" was true.

I began reading, studying voraciously. This has continued as life allows since. Sometime less, sometime more, sometimes not at all. I started keeping track of it all about a year or two ago.

But I did not find the bible to be reliable for many reasons we can discuss another time. I also mention I am going through the Qur'an now. I have read all of it, but have only started my notes for the text recently. One day, I might gather it all into a book.

I will say simply that my conclusion was, our human mark is on those texts, not a god's.

Politically I think in terms of secular society, small government and non-intervention. Fix this nation first, then we can see about helping our neighbors.

In science, I am currently perusing a dual major in electrical engineering and physics. I intend to study electromagnetic activity in space, a point where I believe the gravity model universe proponents including Mr. Einstein, has failed to properly account for. (not that I adhere to plasma cosmology.)

I look forward to sharing and learning.

Finally, I submit to you, that I can see donkeykong's wennie, :DK: which has distracted me by waving back and forth on right side of my screen, the entire time I wrote this. Put that thing away man!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm recently left the military after 6 1/2 years, E-5, honorable discharge with 1 combat tour. Iraq changed my life forever, and I now have seen the potential for grave harm from religion first hand.
Thank you for your service!

Can you also see great harm from atheism which has been the cause of many many more millions of deaths word-wide than religion?

In other words... seeing religion misused shouldn't be a determining factor on it's validity otherwise nothing could be valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.