Hello, my first post here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azazel8300

Hi,
This is my first post and just wanted to say hello. This seems like a very interesting forum. I like intelligent discussion on a variety of topics and since there seems to be many here in regards to Science, Religion, Philosophy, etc., I hope I am in the right spot. Well, that is all for now, nice to meet you all and I look forward to being here.

Azazel8300

Dena

Hello! Good to meet you. May I ask what the "other" means as far as religion? If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine too. I'm just nosy.

Azazel8300

Hello! Good to meet you. May I ask what the "other" means as far as religion? If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine too. I'm just nosy.

no prob :)
Basically for me it means that I was raised Catholic, I have read the bible, which I find interesting, I do hope there is a God and a Heaven. But at the same time I am very into Science and many such topics that seem to be debated here often, that I understand and follow such as evolution. But I keep my religious views and scientific understanding separate as best I can. So for me, I try and live my life as a "good" person as I was raised, but my understanding and following of science makes me question some things that are said through religion. So I am kinda in the middle. If that helps and makes sense :), Nice to meet you all!

Azazel8300

Azazel eh? Awesome. Hope you shed some light on your personality there. :e4e:

I know that Azazel is a demon in many sources, I don't worship Satan or anything like that, but I find the stories of Demons and Angels fascinating. It also happens to be the name of a Demon antagonist in my favorite TV show :p for a simple reason I chose the name.

Azazel8300

Azazel8300

Forget hope, do you think there is?

Don't let dogma force you to doubt the existence of the spirit and the fundamental function of God.

Well, I am of the mind that there is a God. I am not so sure that he is exactly like any of the religions out there describe him to be. But if there is a God, I believe that for something to be all-powerful and all-knowing and to have set in motion all of existence there is no possible way the human mind could even begin to grasp or comprehend all that. The sheer complexity and vastness of the universe is to huge for us to wrap our heads around. So its hard for me to take a literal understanding of many things said in the bible and such. But I understand and follow much of what is said as it pertains to living a good life and helping others.
Again I kinda end up in the middle of things here. I understand and follow two paths that not only are infinite, but sometimes seem to clash in their explanations. That make sense? I know that was a little more of a explanation that whether I hope there is a God or not. :p

Quincy

I know that Azazel is a demon in many sources, I don't worship Satan or anything like that, but I find the stories of Demons and Angels fascinating. It also happens to be the name of a Demon antagonist in my favorite TV show :p for a simple reason I chose the name.

Azazel8300

Yea the old hebrew is a fascinating read.

Azazel8300

Yea the old hebrew is a fascinating read.

Isn't it tho?! I find the stories of the war between Angels and Demons very interesting. I found Revelations weird, but interesting as well, where the angels open several cans of whup *** onto earth :p . The Book of Enoch, etc. All of the not so well know stories and information about some of the darker sides of religion and history is both scary and interesting to me.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
HI!
This is my first post and just wanted to say hello.
Hello.
This seems like a very interesting forum. I like intelligent discussion on a variety of topics and since there seems to be many here in regards to Science, Religion, Philosophy, etc.,
There are many AMAZING discussions happening as I type- especially in the etc. category!!
I hope I am in the right spot.
If you can leave your feelings outside, DEFINITELY!!
Well, that is all for now, nice to meet you all and I look forward to being here.
We are glad to have you!!;)

WizardofOz

Well, I am of the mind that there is a God.

:thumb:

I am not so sure that he is exactly like any of the religions out there describe him to be.

I agree. God is ineffable and beyond human ability to box him in by putting him and his nature into mere words.

But if there is a God, I believe that for something to be all-powerful and all-knowing and to have set in motion all of existence there is no possible way the human mind could even begin to grasp or comprehend all that. The sheer complexity and vastness of the universe is to huge for us to wrap our heads around. So its hard for me to take a literal understanding of many things said in the bible and such. But I understand and follow much of what is said as it pertains to living a good life and helping others.

Well said.

Again I kinda end up in the middle of things here. I understand and follow two paths that not only are infinite, but sometimes seem to clash in their explanations. That make sense? I know that was a little more of a explanation that whether I hope there is a God or not. :p

I understand completely. Literalistic/fundamentalist dogma seems to come up wanting when science is considered, but that only indicates that such simplistic views of God and interpretations of scripture are inaccurate depictions.

Azazel8300

Thanks for making me feel welcome. :)

I was looking at some of the sections and posts and it seems that many people seem to really get into heated "discussions" on here. I think that discussion and listening to others points of view is very important and a good way to keep your mind open. Of course just like politics, religion is another topic that no amount of arguing is going to change another's mind, and I think that shouldn't be the point of any such topics. But to see the many sides of an issue and to come your own conclusions is part of what being a conscious, sentient living being is all about. At the end of the day, if you are happy with your life and living it the way you want to don't let anyone tell you differently. At the same time don't dismiss something just because. I find it remarkable at the sheer vastness of human knowledge, of course the same can be said of human stupidity :p but to each his own, right?

zoo22

Thanks for making me feel welcome. :)

I was looking at some of the sections and posts and it seems that many people seem to really get into heated "discussions" on here. I think that discussion and listening to others points of view is very important and a good way to keep your mind open. Of course just like politics, religion is another topic that no amount of arguing is going to change another's mind, and I think that shouldn't be the point of any such topics. But to see the many sides of an issue and to come your own conclusions is part of what being a conscious, sentient living being is all about. At the end of the day, if you are happy with your life and living it the way you want to don't let anyone tell you differently. At the same time don't dismiss something just because. I find it remarkable at the sheer vastness of human knowledge, of course the same can be said of human stupidity :p but to each his own, right?

Hi. Welcome. I'm certain you'll liven up some conversations here. :)

Quincy

Isn't it tho?! I find the stories of the war between Angels and Demons very interesting. I found Revelations weird, but interesting as well, where the angels open several cans of whup *** onto earth :p . The Book of Enoch, etc. All of the not so well know stories and information about some of the darker sides of religion and history is both scary and interesting to me.

My favorite material is the stuff involving Lilith. Her story is very interesting when compared to modern understandings of Adam and his "first" heh. Plus she is a perfect archetype for western culture. Rather interesting.

Azazel8300

My favorite material is the stuff involving Lilith. Her story is very interesting when compared to modern understandings of Adam and his "first" heh. Plus she is a perfect archetype for western culture. Rather interesting.

I agree, I kinda think of Lilith being more of someone women would want to identify with that Eve. Eve being made from Adam and subservient to him, where Lilith wanted to be equal and was created equal and at the same time as Adam. If I remember correctly. Then there is the stories involving Lilith becoming a Demon that steals and kills children and other such scary things. I don't think people would want to identify with her then tho :p

Quincy

I agree, I kinda think of Lilith being more of someone women would want to identify with that Eve. Eve being made from Adam and subservient to him, where Lilith wanted to be equal and was created equal and at the same time as Adam. If I remember correctly. Then there is the stories involving Lilith becoming a Demon that steals and kills children and other such scary things. I don't think people would want to identify with her then tho :p

Yea there are way to many stories about her. She is even in the Holy Bible, :chuckle: . Anyways, awesome to come across someone else who has studied this stuff :e4e:

Azazel8300

Yea there are way to many stories about her. She is even in the Holy Bible, :chuckle: . Anyways, awesome to come across someone else who has studied this stuff :e4e:

I agree, I think the obscure or not to well known stories to be the most interesting. It is nice to meet another that has heard and read that stuff too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.