Hello From The Stan

TheHermit0985

Hi Everybody!

I was surfing the net looking for a place to have an intelligent conversation and this place popped up. Can't say I'm big into posting in places like this, but my present company is a little sparse for the kinds of dialog I would like to partake in.

A bit about me, I am currently serving overseas in Afghanistan. I am a soldier with the National Guard, and a Military Police Officer. Don't take that to mean I am an officer. I'm an enlisted grunt, putting in the leg work. Although my LT is better than most about things like that.

Anyway, I am an atheist, former Christian, and I am a bit to the left on social issues, but more right leaning on things like the economy. I guess some would call me a libertarian, but I don't call myself that. I consider myself an informed voter.

Its been a long time since I've argued religion with people that seem to do it full time. I look forward to challenging, and being challenged. I've got a thick skin, and enjoy a good debate.

Hope to hear from people soon. :)

bybee

Hi Everybody!

I was surfing the net looking for a place to have an intelligent conversation and this place popped up. Can't say I'm big into posting in places like this, but my present company is a little sparse for the kinds of dialog I would like to partake in.

A bit about me, I am currently serving overseas in Afghanistan. I am a soldier with the National Guard, and a Military Police Officer. Don't take that to mean I am an officer. I'm an enlisted grunt, putting in the leg work. Although my LT is better than most about things like that.

Anyway, I am an atheist, former Christian, and I am a bit to the left on social issues, but more right leaning on things like the economy. I guess some would call me a libertarian, but I don't call myself that. I consider myself an informed voter.

Its been a long time since I've argued religion with people that seem to do it full time. I look forward to challenging, and being challenged. I've got a thick skin, and enjoy a good debate.

Hope to hear from people soon. :)

Welcome to TOL. A "thick skin" is almost an essential in order to survive here.
You will prosper if you remember:
No blasphemy
No dirty talk or use of swear words
No stalking of other members
Otherwise feel free to share your thoughts and comment on the words of others here.
By the way, thanks for your service.

TheHermit0985

Bybee,

Thank you for the welcome. I don't intend on cussing anyone out, I get that enough in the real world. As far as blasphemy goes, I won't call out anyone's god if that is what you are talking about.

I believe it is more than possible to have a civil discourse with someone of faith without resorting to petty name calling.

My battle buddies and I thank you for your support.

TheHermit0985

if you are an informed voter

who do you vote for?

I have voted libertarian, democrat, and republican in the last few elections.

It depends. But since I put on the uniform I found myself becoming more and more "a political."

To put it out there, I voted for Obama when he first ran, wasn't in the service at that time) voted republican for most house and senate races, and cast my vote for Paul in the primary of my home state.

Lately I'm of the opinion that regardless of who we vote for, it doesn't really make a difference. People can promise one thing all day on the trail, and then do a 180 as soon as they are in office.

I'm not really jaded by the process, I'm just realistic about it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I have voted libertarian, democrat, and republican in the last few elections.

It depends. But since I put on the uniform I found myself becoming more and more "a political."

To put it out there, I voted for Obama when he first ran, wasn't in the service at that time) voted republican for most house and senate races, and cast my vote for Paul in the primary of my home state.

Lately I'm of the opinion that regardless of who we vote for, it doesn't really make a difference. People can promise one thing all day on the trail, and then do a 180 as soon as they are in office.

I'm not really jaded by the process, I'm just realistic about it.

if you vote republican for house and senate
why not vote republican for president?

TheHermit0985

Simply because I thought McCain was a mad man, and I didn't like Sarah Palin in the slightest bit.

Besides, I wanted to believe the message of hope and change. McCain was more of the same old same old.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Simply because I thought McCain was a mad man, and I didn't like Sarah Palin in the slightest bit.

Besides, I wanted to believe the message of hope and change. McCain was more of the same old same old.

how do you feel about hope and change now?

TheHermit0985

how do you feel about hope and change now?

There are things I won't be able to say to much about being a service member.

But I will say that there have been a lot of missed opportunities.

Will a person ever totally agree with everything the person they voted for does? No. Will there be times where you slap your forehead? Yes. But, at the end of the day I still stand by my decision. Given those two choices again, I would still make the same one.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...I am an atheist, former Christian...
Not possible. :dizzy:

"Jn 10:28-29 The security of Jesus’ sheep rests with Him as the good shepherd, who has the power to keep them safe. Neither thieves and robbers (vv. 1, 8) nor the wolf (v. 12) can harm them. Verse 29 makes clear that the Father ultimately stands behind the sheep’s security, for no one is able to steal from God, who is in sovereign control of all things (Col. 3:3). See notes on Rom. 8:31–39. No stronger passage in the OT or NT exists for the absolute, eternal security of every true Christian." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 1604). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

Welcome.

See:

Can a Christian lose salvation?

TheHermit0985

Not possible. :dizzy:

"Jn 10:28-29 The security of Jesus’ sheep rests with Him as the good shepherd, who has the power to keep them safe. Neither thieves and robbers (vv. 1, 8) nor the wolf (v. 12) can harm them. Verse 29 makes clear that the Father ultimately stands behind the sheep’s security, for no one is able to steal from God, who is in sovereign control of all things (Col. 3:3). See notes on Rom. 8:31–39. No stronger passage in the OT or NT exists for the absolute, eternal security of every true Christian." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 1604). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

Welcome.

See:

Can a Christian lose salvation?

While I appreciate the quotes, and the link, it is entirely possible to lose faith, if the god you have faith in doesn't actually exist in the first place.

Sorry. But all of the theology in the world wont save you from something not existing.

JosephR

Hiya ,
Welcome to TOL, I once doubted a God and put all my beliefs in science, but that led me right back to God. I am former Active Army as well 13 B, tell your battle buddies and yourself we appreciate you guys , with all sincerity .

I don't vote are pay much attention to politics, I'm like that Dwarf from Lord of the Rings, I care not for the goings on of men. :)

Stay safe bro and come home alive .

Posted from the TOL App!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
While I appreciate the quotes, and the link, it is entirely possible to lose faith, if the god you have faith in doesn't actually exist in the first place.

Sorry. But all of the theology in the world wont save you from something not existing.

Actually, if the truth be told; you NEVER were a true Christian! For a
short period of time, you may have given intellectual assent to a belief
notion; however, you were not sealed by the Holy Spirit and were
never part of the Body of Christ! If you were, you would have
continued in the faith!