He is the propitiation for our sins:

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloved57

1 Jn 2:1-2

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Who is the He here in Vs 2 and how is He the propitiation for our sins ?

The He here is found in Vs 1, Jesus Christ the righteous !

Now its important that He's called Jesus Christ the Righteous

First He's Righteous in and of Himself Acts 3:14;7:52, He's not like us who when we're born sinners, in and of ourselves, none is righteous Rom 3:10

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

This applies to all mankind by nature, elect and none elect.

But in addition to Jesus Christ the righteous being righteous in and of Himself, He also is the righteousness of all them He died for, all for whom He represented. Paul writes that of God Christ was made unto all for whom He lived and died 1 Cor 1:30

30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

And included in His suretyship obedience for them He died, they are made righteous Rom 5:19

9 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Jesus Christ the righteous isn't only individually righteous in and of Himself but is also the righteousness of all for whom He propitiated God for, or all for whom He lived and died.

Last edited:

beloved57

He is the propitiation for our sins:

Now the word propitiation equates to Justice satisfied; Gods wrath having been appeased by Jesus Christ the righteous, and not by ones act of believing or Faith, Christ's Blood propitiated God, and nothing else, lest we believe heresy. Therefore the whole world in 1 Jn 2:2

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

This whole world has been reconciled to God Heb 2:17

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

The word reconciliation here is the greek word hilaskomai

hiláskomai (akin to 2434 /hilasmós, "propitiation, appeasement/satisfaction of divine wrath on sin") – properly, to extend propitiation, showing mercy by satisfying (literally, propitiating) the wrath of God on sin; "to conciliate, appease, propitiate

Its in the same family of words propitiation 1 Jn 2:2 is.

And those God has promised to be merciful to their what ? Heb 8:12

For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

The word merciful here is the word ἵλεως in the same family of words as above and means:

(an adjective, used back in Attic Greek about appeasing divine wrath) – properly, propitious, describing God's covenant-mercy

God has promised to be propitious to the sins, of His elect, based upon the blood and mediation of Christ the righteous Heb 8:6

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Now naturally men think that this New Covenant Promise of propitiation belongs to only ethnic jews, but thats wrong, and thats why there is the emphasis in 1 Jn 2:2 that it applies to the whole world, all ethnicities of Gods elect

It also applies to all Gods sheep in all stages of world history.

Now does it apply to sinners under Gods wrath ? Jn 3:36

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

No it doesnt, it cant, that would contradict what propitiation means:

hiláskomai (akin to 2434 /hilasmós, "propitiation, appeasement/satisfaction of divine wrath on sin")

appeasing divine wrath

Folk, Gods wrath isn't and cant be appeased for sinners His wrath abideth on !

Last edited:

Nanja

[h=2]He is the propitiation for our sins:2[/h]
Now the word propitiation equates to Justice satisfied; Gods wrath having been appeased by Jesus Christ the righteous, and not by ones act of believing or Faith, Christ's Blood propitiated God, and nothing else, lest we believe heresy. Therefore the whole world in 1 Jn 2:2

2 [FONT="]And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of[B] the whole world.

[/B]This whole world has been reconciled to God Heb 2:17

[FONT=&]17 [/FONT]Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, [B]to make [U]reconciliation[/U] for the sins of the people.[/B]

The word reconciliation here is the greek word [COLOR=#001320][FONT=Trebuchet]hilaskomai

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#001320][FONT=Trebuchet][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#001320][FONT=Trebuchet] [/FONT][/COLOR][I]hiláskomai (akin to [URL="http://biblehub.com/greek/2434.htm"]2434[/URL] /hilasmós, "propitiation, appeasement/satisfaction of divine wrath on sin") – properly, to extend propitiation, showing mercy by satisfying (literally, propitiating) the wrath of God on sin; "to conciliate, appease, propitiate
Its in the same family of words propitiation 1 Jn 2:2 is.

And those God has promised to be merciful to their what ? Heb 8:12

For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

[/I]The word merciful here is the word ἵλεως in the same family of words as above and means:

(an adjective, used back in Attic Greek aboutappeasing divine wrath) – properly, propitious, describing God's covenant-mercy

God has promised to be propitious to the sins, of His elect, based upon the blood and mediation of Christ the righteous Heb 8:6

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Now naturally men think that this New Covenant Promise of propitiation belongs to only ethnic jews, but thats wrong, and thats why there is the emphasis in 1 Jn 2:2 that it applies to the whole world, all ethnicities of Gods elect ! It also applies to all Gods sheep in all stages of world history.

Now does it apply to sinners under Gods wrath ? Jn 3:36

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

No it doesnt, it cant, that would contradict what propitiation means:

hiláskomai (akin to 2434 /hilasmós, "propitiation, appeasement/satisfaction of divine wrath on sin")

appeasing divine wrath

Folk, Gods wrath isn't and cant be appeased for sinners His wrath abideth on !

[/FONT]

TY for an excellent study, Amen to both parts !

God's wrath shall always abide on the children of disobedience, that's why they can't believe on Him John 3:36, because Christ was not the propitiation for their sins: His Suretyship Obedience was never applied to them.

Eph. 5:5-6
5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

These shall enter the second death Rev. 21:8 to pay the wages for their sins Rom. 6:23a.

But those Christ propitiated for, appeased God's Wrath for their sins, delivers them from His wrath to come 1 Thes. 1:10

Amen, and God only Loved One World John 3:16 [kosmos] of mankind of all ethnicities 1 John 2:2, which from eternity consisted of those Christ was Surety Heb. 7:22 for in the Everlasting Covenant of Grace, to be the propitiation for their sins Is 53:6.

1 John 4:10
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

beloved57

The Whole World of 1 Jn 2:2 is a Justified World, made so by Christs propitiation for their sins. Now God acts in mercy in regards to their sins, He will be merciful to their unrighteousness Heb 8:12

12 For I will be merciful[propitious] to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Their unrighteousness covers a multitude of sins, their unbelief ! The word unrighteousness here is also translated iniquity:

Like here in Luke 13:27

But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity

Its the same word unrighteousness found here in Rom 1:18 twice

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

So those who are of the whole world of 1 Jn 2:2, God because of Christ hath promised to be merciful unto their unrighteousness, that includes their pre and post conversion life !

Nanja

The Whole World of 1 Jn 2:2 is a Justified World, made so by Christs propitiation for their sins. Now God acts in mercy in regards to their sins, He will be merciful to their unrighteousness Heb 8:12

12 For I will be merciful[propitious] to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Their unrighteousness covers a multitude of sins, their unbelief ! The word unrighteousness here is also translated iniquity:

Like here in Luke 13:27

But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity

Its the same word unrighteousness found here in Rom 1:18 twice

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

So those who are of the whole world of 1 Jn 2:2, God because of Christ hath promised to be merciful unto their unrighteousness, that includes their pre and post conversion life !

This Justified World of 1 John 2:2; Heb. 8:12, whom God's Mercy was always upon, regardless of what they have done or not done,
are none other than His Vessels of Mercy!

Rom. 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

beloved57

This Justified World of 1 John 2:2; Heb. 8:12, whom God's Mercy was always upon, regardless of what they have done or not done,
are none other than His Vessels of Mercy!

Rom. 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
Exactly Sister !

Right Divider

Body part
You just dont receive the truth !
Wrong again.
Isa 42:1-3 KJV Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. (2) He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. (3) A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
In that passage... CHRIST is the "elect" of God. Did Christ die for Christ's sins?

beloved57

The whole World of 1 Jn 2:2 simply because Christs is the propitiation of it, its a saved world, its a whole world saved from the wrath of God 1 Thess 1:10

And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

Rom 5:9

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

For this world, Gods Wrath has been forever appeased by the Blood of Christ !

beloved57

The ones for whom Christ was their propitiation, He has actually by that taken away their sins ! 1 Jn 3:5

And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

1 Jn 4:10

10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

So the whole World of 1 Jn 2:2 is a whole world without sin ! Cp Jn 1:29

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Where there is no sin, theres no need for wrath, hence there's no wrath for the propitiated world of 1 Jn 2:2 !

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

1 John 2:2​

King James Version​

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

What don't you understand about the whole world?

Nanja

The ones for whom Christ was their propitiation, He has actually by that taken away their sins ! 1 Jn 3:5

And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

1 Jn 4:10

10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

So the whole World of 1 Jn 2:2 is a whole world without sin ! Cp Jn 1:29

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Where there is no sin, theres no need for wrath, hence there's no wrath for the propitiated world of 1 Jn 2:2 !
Amen, exactly !

beloved57

For the sins of the people !

Heb 2:17

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

The word reconciliation here is the greek word hilaskomai:
  1. to render one's self, to appease, conciliate to one's self
    1. to become propitious, be placated or appeased
    2. to be propitious, be gracious, be merciful, to expiate, make propitiation for,"
  2. to expiate, make propitiation for

The word is in the same family of words whereby we get propitiation in 1 Jn 2:2 hilasmos

Now whose our sins ? Hebrews 2:17 tells us, for the sins of the people ! Not the whole World, or everyone without exception

The People in the original has the definite article meaning a specific people

So its the same definite people in 1 Jn 2:2. The difference is, the definite people are not confined or restricted to one nationality of people, the ethnic jews, but the definite people is scattered out throughout the whole entire world.

But the main point is, its a definite people, a specific people !

beloved57

For the sins of the brethren He is propitiation 1 Jn 4:7-11

7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

So propitiation is for spiritual believers or those who shall be believers from all nations.

Derf

For the sins of the people !

Heb 2:17

The word reconciliation here is the greek word hilaskomai:
  1. to render one's self, to appease, conciliate to one's self
    1. to become propitious, be placated or appeased
    2. to be propitious, be gracious, be merciful, to expiate, make propitiation for,"
  2. to expiate, make propitiation for

The word is in the same family of words whereby we get propitiation in 1 Jn 2:2 hilasmos

Now whose our sins ? Hebrews 2:17 tells us, for the sins of the people ! Not the whole World, or everyone without exception

The People in the original has the definite article meaning a specific people

So its the same definite people in 1 Jn 2:2. The difference is, the definite people are not confined or restricted to one nationality of people, the ethnic jews, but the definite people is scattered out throughout the whole entire world.

But the main point is, its a definite people, a specific people !
Agreed! The sins of the Hebrews, since that’s who the book is written to.

Status
Not open for further replies.