Guns - The Second Round

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uberti has a SAA replica. Also not made in the USA. I suggest a firearms handling course offered by off duty LEO as a side business, or former service members. You can learn to handle it and how it works before they have you shoot. They will follow the protocol of craw-walk-run.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love my Pietta 1858 Remington clone. Cabela's has them on sale now for $250 with an 8" or 5 1/2" barrel and they seem to always have better sales near years end. There are a couple of companies that sell 45 LC conversion cylinders for them.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I love my Pietta 1858 Remington clone. Cabela's has them on sale now for $250 with an 8" or 5 1/2" barrel and they seem to always have better sales near years end. There are a couple of companies that sell 45 LC conversion cylinders for them.

Sounds like I need to head up to Cabela's and have a look.

The Tanner a Gun Show is in Denver next weekend. The Cowboy Shooting Association has a booth set up so it looks like once again I will be doing something that was never in my life plan; go to a gun show. It will be fun.

whitestone

Yes, there is a lot of work to do both on the horse and on me. That's where I was tonight, working on the horse. I have a good friend who is into Cowboy Shooting. A little different but similar enough that they have invited me over to check out their guns and holsters.

The work has begun!

good,when you talk to them ask then certain questions ,,,

If I buy a new model Vaquero answers going to be yes. Then ask them about the others Colt,Cimmaron,Taylor ect.,,,the reason why is they'll tell you in cowboy action shooting all of these pistols will work (but.lol) most of them will come new in the box "needing work/alterations" eg they(C.A.S) may need longer hammers(for fanning) but it depends on what type actual event they will shoot.

The other thing is if you are a small man or woman then a larger frame/weight pistol might not "feel right to you". Some pistols are smoother on the edges,others have a sharper contour(this will cause sore spots on your hand from handling it a bunch),,,So which on of these pistols "feels right to you in your hand" is something to bare in mind.

Past that,,if you buy a 400.00 replica(because it feel's right when you use it and the others don't),will it work,Yes and will be a great pistol after you have another 400.00 dollars worth of alterations/timing ect. done to it(is there a gunsmith close to you who can do this?),,

Ask them about a Colt,,(great pistol's),,but will you need to take the brand new pistol you just bought and have anything done to it,,,yes you will,but if it is the one that fits your hand and size of your arm then it is the one you actually need.

The Just of it is when you look at any of these pistols all of them have worked very well for somebody,but early ever do they work well for everybody. It's pretty much like buying shoe's or gloves you kind of need to "try them on".

Past that ask them if some of these pistols break/malfunction more often than others (think trips to the gunsmith),,Anyway a few years ago I considered getting into Cowboy action shooting so to me after holding a "new Vaquero" in my hand it felt right,is smoothly contoured(wont wear stone bruises on me),has very smooth action,and works straight out of the box in a shoot,but it might not work for you.

I would search the net for "C.M.S.A." find their meets closest to you and search the web then for "C.M.S.A. guns for sale",,if you go to the meets they will be buying and selling parts,pistols,holsters,horses ect. and the pistols will most times be already set up for the shoot(eg tuned,altered,ect.),,so will the holsters,and the horses they are selling will be better for the shoots because they were already taught,but the person riding them may be too heavy,light,ect. for the Horse(think cutting horse!),,,but make a list of questions to ask the friends of your in C.A.S. but then also make friends In C.M.S.A and ask them the questions on the list that pertain to mounted shoots.

oatmeal

I am looking at getting into mounted shooting. I will need two guns that are required to be, ".45 Colt caliber, designed prior to 1898, or reproductions thereof." I don't currently own guns so I am looking for any advice you may have with guns for quick draw. You can see in the video that the contestants have to change guns half way through the run so I need something that you can fast draw yet with a barrel long enough to be reasonably accurate.

Mounted Shooting

BY the way Chrys, this is an awesome thread title!

Enjoy your journey and future achievements.

Patience, endurance, consistency, faithfulness, temperance, clear objectives and goals, forgiveness should be ingredients in your progress and achievements

whitestone

Competitors use the
New Vaquero in competitions
all over the U.S. for the
horseback balloon shoots,
I would bet in most associations
it is legal. It is the design that
qualifies it, not the manufacture
date.

thats why I keep suggesting it to Cabnetmaker see (page 7,9-b) http://www.cmsaevents.com/cmsapdf/2010Rulebook.pdf then shop online for a Colt,Remington,S&W and you'll be in the 1000.00-? price,,then price a reproduction (250.00-300-00)+conversion cylinder(250.00-300.00)=5-6 hundred+(needs tuning by gunsmith,so total cost is?),,,and then price the vaquero(6-700.00) out of the box shoots at the competition and has Ruger's "fix it is on our dime" warranty,,

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I have been reading some and the Taylor's & Co. "Runnin Irons" have gotten good reviews. One of the things the reviewers like is the I house tuning the guns receive before leaving the factory. There is a local dealer close to work so I can look them over. Anybody have any experience with Taylor's?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
We bought our first gun today. It a Herritage Manufacturing .22 cal single action revolver with a 6" barrel. They call it the Rough Rider. We figure it will be a good gun to start training the horses and ourselves. We also learned about different grips and springs and hammers so we have a much better idea of what we want in a .45.