Greetings from another PNW resident

iason

Hello everyone,
I'm a husband to a beautiful wife and we have 4 wonderful boys. I'm a new christian and eager to learn all I can. Ive always believed in God but never took the time to learn about him or read his book, I'm well over due!

I've been poking around on this forum for a few weeks and I'm amazed at how divided Christianity really is and I ask you to take it easy on me if at all possible :)

I do study on a regular basis but I'm lacking in the history and context so may ask silly questions on things that I don't understand.

I have recently started going to a non denominational church, not many choices in my area. So far I have been very happy with the members and the pastor.

Anyway, that's enough about me for now, where would one recommend me starting on this massive site?

God bless you all!

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Hello everyone,
I'm a husband to a beautiful wife and we have 4 wonderful boys. I'm a new christian and eager to learn all I can. Ive always believed in God but never took the time to learn about him or read his book, I'm well over due!

I've been poking around on this forum for a few weeks and I'm amazed at how divided Christianity really is and I ask you to take it easy on me if at all possible :)

I do study on a regular basis but I'm lacking in the history and context so may ask silly questions on things that I don't understand.

I have recently started going to a non denominational church, not many choices in my area. So far I have been very happy with the members and the pastor.

Anyway, that's enough about me for now, where would one recommend me starting on this massive site?

God bless you all!
Can't go wrong with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Welcome and the Apostles' Creed gives a summation of NT teachings.

Apostles' Creed

(1) I believe in God the Father Almighty;
(2) And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;
(3) Who was born of (de) the Holy Ghost and of (ex) the Virgin Mary;
(4) Crucified under Pontius Pilate and buried;
(5) The third day He rose again from the dead,
(6) He ascended into Heaven,
(7) Sitteth at the right hand of the Father,
(8) Whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
(9) And in the Holy Ghost,
(10) The Holy Church,
(11) The forgiveness of sins;
(12) The resurrection of the body.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01629a.htm

The word "ghost" is an archaic word for spirit.
The word "holy" means set apart.

iason

Can't go wrong with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Thank you for the link.

I skimmed over that till I hit article 5, Christ decended into hell... Why would he go to hell, he never sinned or became sin. He took our sins and died for them correct? Didn't he tell the thief while on the cross they would be in paradise today?

I'll have to use my googlefu for more on this topic...

iason

Apostles' Creed

(1) I believe in God the Father Almighty;
(2) And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;
(3) Who was born of (de) the Holy Ghost and of (ex) the Virgin Mary;
(4) Crucified under Pontius Pilate and buried;
(5) The third day He rose again from the dead,
(6) He ascended into Heaven,
(7) Sitteth at the right hand of the Father,
(8) Whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
(9) And in the Holy Ghost,
(10) The Holy Church,
(11) The forgiveness of sins;
(12) The resurrection of the body.

The word "ghost" is an archaic word for spirit.
The word "holy" means set apart.

Thank you jamie

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Thank you for the link.

I skimmed over that till I hit article 5, Christ decended into hell... Why would he go to hell, he never sinned or became sin. He took our sins and died for them correct? Didn't he tell the thief while on the cross they would be in paradise today?

I'll have to use my googlefu for more on this topic...
This statement of the confession draws from 1st Peter 3:18,19,20.

keypurr

Welcome to TOL Iason.

If you are looking for a good Bible study program for your computer there is a free and a good one to download at:

e-sword.com

It lets you see many things from many translations.
You can compare very easly on it.

iason

This statement of the confession draws from 1st Peter 3:18,19,20.

Thank you!

So far I have found several interpretations of this verse. I also found it was one of the most difficult texts and many people have struggled over this one... I may save this one for the future... :)

I do appreciate it all thank you.

iason

Thank you keypurr,
I will definitely check it out. I use you version and logo's software currently. I also have 5 study bibles and two parallel bibles, and many different translations for my studies... I'm desperately seeking the truth which is not so easy to find as a beginner... Everyone seems to have a different view.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello everyone,

God bless you all!

Hi. :wave:

What is a PNW? :idunno:

iason

:think:

Hi from possibly the only TOL member living in the PNE. :wave:

Although I am from the PSE. :cool:

Are you going to buy a subscription?

:)

More than likely, I don't mind supporting a site. I'd like to see how things turn out first...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Hello everyone,

God bless you all!

Welcome! A good place to get started here would be to check out the welcome center stickies (the links in yellow at the top of the newbie forum and the feedback and info forum, lots of information about how the site works there.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Sadly, there are many still today, such as the above, who think that faith in Jesus is about believing some particular doctrines or keeping some particular set of laws.
Jesus died to set us free from that.
We have become sons, not subjects. Our faith does not consist in formulas but in relationship. Not words but power.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Sadly, there are many still today, such as the above, who think that faith in Jesus is about believing some particular doctrines or keeping some particular set of laws.
We have become sons, not subjects. Our faith does not consist in formulas but in relationship. Not words but power.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL.

Do as Paul said.
Listen to everyone, but check the scriptures to see if what they say is true.

Acts 17
(11) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

iason

Welcome to TOL.

Do as Paul said.
Listen to everyone, but check the scriptures to see if what they say is true.

Acts 17
(11) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Yes absolutely, thank you :)

iason

Welcome! A good place to get started here would be to check out the welcome center stickies (the links in yellow at the top of the newbie forum and the feedback and info forum, lots of information about how the site works there.

Thank you :)