Gospel repentance commanded !

beloved57

Acts 17:30

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

This is not a general command to everyone in the world without exception because that wouldnt be evagelical repentance in line wth Jesus charge here Lk 24:44-47

44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Paul was in obedience to this charge when he preached repentance in Acts 17:30 and so this repentance, evangelical is joined with remission of sins, and it was to be preached among all nations, or among all men everywhere.

The key however is that repentance is commanded to only the ones amongst men who have by and through the Lord Jesus Christ, His Cross Work and Blood remission of sins.

There is no Gospel reason for anyone to repent if Christ didn't shed His Blood for them, for the remission of sins. Where God gives repentance He has given forgiveness of sins Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

FineLinen

As a matter of fact, repentance must "be granted" by the Holy One. Furthermore, faith is not even ours, "we live by the faith of the Son of God." Faith from beginning to end flows from Abba! What a wonderful Realm of Him we have entered!

"In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him." -C.S. Lewis-

Are our broadest hopes broad enough? Shall there be a nook or abyss, in all the universe of God, finally unlightened by the Cross? Shall there be a sin, or sorrow, or pain unhealed? Is the very universe, is creation in all its extent, a field wide enough for the Son of God?

beloved57

As a matter of fact, repentance must "be granted" by the Holy One. Furthermore, faith is not even ours, "we live by the faith of the Son of God." Faith from beginning to end flows from Abba! What a wonderful Realm of Him we have entered!

"In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him." -C.S. Lewis-

Are our broadest hopes broad enough? Shall there be a nook or abyss, in all the universe of God, finally unlightened by the Cross? Shall there be a sin, or sorrow, or pain unhealed? Is the very universe, is creation in all its extent, a field wide enough for the Son of God?

Did you understand the OP ?

beloved57

Some would repent and believe !

The Call to repent in Acts 17:30 was to an elect remnant of Christ Sheep among them at mars hill, God sent Paul there with the Gospel and they heard Christ's voice and believe Acts 17:30-34

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

33 So Paul departed from among them.

34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

beloved57

Gospel repentance is joined with Faith in Jesus Christ Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

So the repentance commanded in Acts 17:30 has a view to Faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ which can only apply unto them Christ died for and is their Savior, His Righteousness imputed to them. This cannot apply to the non elect.

Nanja

Gospel repentance is joined with Faith in Jesus Christ Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

So the repentance commanded in Acts 17:30 has a view to Faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ which can only apply unto them Christ died for and is their Savior, His Righteousness imputed to them. This cannot apply to the non elect.

Amen to all 3 parts !

In Acts 17:30, Paul is particularly addressing the Election of Grace: Spiritually Regenerated persons of all nations, whether jew or gentile Acts 11:18, which were given Faith Gal. 5:22 to believe the Gospel through Grace Acts 18:27.

Repentance was never an offer to the lost / unregenerate of all mankind without exception:

But exclusively "to all men everywhere" Acts 17:30, the People that are God's Elect, whom He had Chosen in Christ to receive remission of sins through Christ's Blood shed for them by the New Covenant / Testament Mat. 26:28; 2 Cor. 3:5-6.

Eph. 1:4-7

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

And the Election of Grace Rom. 11:5 is also Israel, both jew and gentile; the only portion of humanity given Repentance and forgiveness of sins that is Promised Salvation Is. 45:17 !

1 Cor. 1:30
But of him [God the Father] are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

beloved57

Blessed be the name of the Lord

Amen to all 3 parts !

In Acts 17:30, Paul is particularly addressing the Election of Grace: Spiritually Regenerated persons of all nations, whether jew or gentile Acts 11:18, which were given Faith Gal. 5:22 to believe the Gospel through Grace Acts 18:27.

Repentance was never an offer to the lost / unregenerate of all mankind without exception:

But exclusively "to all men everywhere" Acts 17:30, the People that are God's Elect, whom He had Chosen in Christ to receive remission of sins through Christ's Blood shed for them by the New Covenant / Testament Mat. 26:28; 2 Cor. 3:5-6.

Eph. 1:4-7

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

And the Election of Grace Rom. 11:5 is also Israel, both jew and gentile; the only portion of humanity given Repentance and forgiveness of sins that is Promised Salvation Is. 45:17 !

1 Cor. 1:30
But of him [God the Father] are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

beloved57

The repentance commanded isnt for all without exception as its mistakenly taught, for not all are spiritually equipped to repent at Gods command. The command here in Acts 17:30

Is not for the unregenerate natural man ! The natural unregenerate man is still legally married to the Law of God, and doesnt have the legal right to be married to another Rom 7:1-4

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Those sinners Christ didn't die for are consequently not dead to the law by His Body, and are bound to it as long as they live. So repentance and faith in Christ isn't their right, but they owe perfect obedience to Gods law which they cant fulfill.

beloved57

Why does it read therefore " but now commandeth all men every where to repent"

Because Gospel repentance was not only being given by Christ to men and women in the state of israel, but it was being granted amongst the gentile nations to the gentiles Acts 11:18

18 [FONT=&quot]When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

These Gentiles are everywhere amongst all nations Lk 24:47

[/FONT]
47 [FONT=&quot]And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations[everywhere], beginning at Jerusalem.[/FONT]

beloved57

Why does it read therefore "but now commandeth all men every where to repent" ?

Because Gospel preaching and repentance is under the auspices of the Abrahamic Covenant, regarding Gods Promise to Abraham Gen 12:3

3 [FONT=&quot]And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Gal 3:8

[/FONT]
8 [FONT=&quot]And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Giving the Gentiles Faith and Repentance is the fulfillment of Gods promise[/FONT]

Nanja

Why does it read therefore "but now commandeth all men every where to repent" ?

Because Gospel preaching and repentance is under the auspices of the Abrahamic Covenant, regarding Gods Promise to Abraham Gen 12:3

3 [FONT="]And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Gal 3:8

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]8 [/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="]And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Giving the Gentiles Faith and Repentance is the fulfillment of Gods promise[/FONT]

Amen to parts 8 thru 10 !

The Gospel command to repent is directed exclusively to Abraham and His Spiritual Seed, the Seed of Christ Gal. 3:16, 29; God's elect "everywhere" Acts 17:30, from all nations of the world Rev. 5:9. It's only to these Spiritually regenerated persons to whom Gospel Repentance is commanded, for they are only ones who will Hear God's Command John 8:47a.

beloved57

Gods commandment to men to repent is efficacious and not in vain. The ones its intended for to come to repentance will repent/obey because its to them a causative command.

Ezk 36:26-27

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

And so the Spirit in them causes and energizes them to do His Commandment, hence it is written Ps 147:15-18

15 He sendeth forth his commandment upon earth: his word runneth very swiftly.

16 He giveth snow like wool: he scattereth the hoarfrost like ashes.

17 He casteth forth his ice like morsels: who can stand before his cold?

18 He sendeth out his word, and melteth them: he causeth his wind to blow, and the waters flow.

God through His Gospel preachers or their word will cause men every where to obey Gospel repentance.

Nanja

Gods commandment to men to repent is efficacious and not in vain. The ones its intended for to come to repentance will repent/obey because its to them a causative command.

Ezk 36:26-27

[FONT=&]26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

And so the Spirit in them causes and energizes them to do His Commandment, hence it is written Ps 147:15-18

[/FONT]

[FONT=&]15 He sendeth forth his commandment upon earth: his word runneth very swiftly.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]16 He giveth snow like wool: he scattereth the hoarfrost like ashes.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]17 He casteth forth his ice like morsels: who can stand before his cold?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]18 He sendeth out his word, and melteth them: he causeth his wind to blow, and the waters flow.

God through His Gospel preachers or their word will cause men every where to obey Gospel repentance.[/FONT]

Amen! Gospel Repentance is commanded to all men everywhere Acts 17:30, meaning men from all nations which have been given remission / forgiveness of sins Eph. 1:4-7, and a New Heart in New Birth Ezek. 36:26-27.

And resembling Ps. 147:15-18 is:

John 3:7-8

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

And also:

John 7:38
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

beloved57

Gospel repentance is a grace , produced by the regenerating power of Christ through the Holy Spirit. Its the repentance Christ as Saviour gives unto His spiritual seed Israel Acts 5:31

31 [FONT=&quot]Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Its the repentance He calls His lost sheep unto Matt 9:13

[/FONT]
13 [FONT=&quot]But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

So its a repentance God gives, through Christ unto life Acts 11:18

[/FONT]
18 [FONT=&quot]When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

This repentance results in spiritual life, or its a product of being given spiritual life, or [/FONT]
repentance is an evidence of spiritual life

Thats why repentance along with remission of sins should be declared in Christ's name, for they both proceed from Him Lk 24:47

47 [FONT=&quot]And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
[/FONT]

Nanja

Gospel repentance is a grace , produced by the regenerating power of Christ through the Holy Spirit. Its the repentance Christ as Saviour gives unto His spiritual seed Israel Acts 5:31

31 [FONT="]Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and [B]a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.[/B]

Its the repentance He calls His lost sheep unto Matt 9:13

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]13 [/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="]But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

So its a repentance God gives, through Christ unto life Acts 11:18

[/FONT]
18 [FONT="]When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, [B]Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted[U] repentance unto life[/U].[/B]

This repentance results in spiritual life, or its a product of being given spiritual life, or [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#001320][FONT=Roboto]repentance is an evidence of spiritual life

Thats why repentance along with remission of sins should be declared in Christ's name, for they both proceed from Him Lk 24:47

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]47 [/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="]And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Amen ! Gospel repentance is commanded exclusively to Elect Israel, God's Chosen People in Christ, the Election of Grace Rom. 11:5; 2 Tim. 1:9 before the foundation to have forgiveness / remission of sins Acts 5:31; Eph. 1:4, 7 from every nation Rev. 5:9, whether jew or gentile Acts 11:18. And it's only God-given repentance in New Birth, being Born of the Spirit John 3:5-6 that results in His Elect having a precise and correct knowledge of the Truth because they were chosen to it Titus 1:1-2; 2 Thes. 2:13.