ECT Good works only in union with Christ

Jamie Gigliotti

"...created in Christ Jesus for good works..." Ephesians 2:10

There are two kinds of attempted good works. One actual kind.

1. Good works done with the conscious or subconscious intent of puffing one's own pride/ego/self. Seeking righteousness in and among oneself. These ultimately are not good works.

2. Good works done in union with Christ/His Spirit; done because of His love and grace and the desire of Christ's own to honor and glorify and love Him. These are genuine good works that demonstrate who we are in Christ.

nikolai_42

1. Good works done with the conscious or subconscious intent of puffing one's own pride/ego/self. Seeking righteousness in and among oneself. These ultimately are not good works.

2. Good works done in union with Christ/His Spirit; done because of His love and grace and the desire of Christ's own to honor and glorify and love Him. These are genuine good works that demonstrate who we are in Christ.

I submit that the works we do that are genuine good works are not our own in a very radical sense. We may be given them, but they are not ours, nor can we own them (but God graciously commits them to us). Otherwise, it would be hard to see this as true :

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16

And even the only begotten Son of God said this :

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
John 14:10

Jamie Gigliotti

I submit that the works we do that are genuine good works are not our own in a very radical sense. We may be given them, but they are not ours, nor can we own them (but God graciously commits them to us). Otherwise, it would be hard to see this as true :

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16

And even the only begotten Son of God said this :

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
John 14:10
Agreed. And the question arises are we His servants or self serving.

genuineoriginal

Those are the works that look good to men, but which God doesn't care about.

Colossians 2:20-23
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.​

Those are the works that naturally come when you have the fruit of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-24
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.​