God in relation to time

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
ALL.. and I do mean ALL,,every thing your simple HUMAN mind can come up with and beyond,is possible with God..

Jesus Said... I tell you things of the Earth and ye do not believe me,How can I ell ye things about Heaven.
:up: Excellent.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Paraphrase, I assume.

Saying this does not make incoherence coherent. Square circles, married bachelors, 2+2=4 and 5, etc. are not possible for God or us just because His ways/thoughts are higher/not ours (a context of redemption, not logic).
Time is a noun is . . . possible.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Rationality is a noun. So is life. And love.
So you read "God is subject to no noun," and you thought I meant that there are no nouns that equate to the noun God?

Nope.

Just to clarify, and this is just off the top of my head:
Nouns and noun phrases that are equated with the noun God:
(I.e., you can add either "GOD IS" or "IS GOD" to each of these.)

Christ Jesus
The Word
The Truth
The Holy Spirit
The Life
Whom I Have Believed
The Lord
The LORD
One
The Father
The Father Almighty
Almighty God
The Creator
Love
The Son
The Trinity
The Holy Trinity
The Almighty
Jesus Christ
The Only Son of God
Jesus Christ our Lord
Christ
The One God and Savior
The Spirit of Christ

There are others.

("Rationality" is more of a fabricated noun, it's more naturally "rational," an adjective/adverb. God is rational. More of an attribute, not a statement of equation.)

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
("Rationality" is more of a fabricated noun, it's more naturally "rational," an adjective/adverb. God is rational. More of an attribute, not a statement of equation.)

OK. Then I would say God is in time just as He is rational and loving.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Then Time is your god.

No, the triune God, YHWH, is my God. Love, grace, mercy, endless duration, omnipotence, etc. are also descriptive of God's experiences, attributes, character, but that does not mean any of these things are my God.

:rapture:

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
...if He experiences time sequentially like we do, or does He experience all of time all at once because He created time and is above it?

A tongue-in-cheek answer is "Yes" to both and to all conceivable concepts. But I need to object to the use of the word "experience", although I realize there may not be a better one.

All of our understanding of who God is and what His attributes are, in relation to time, must be restricted to His revelation of Himself in Scripture. All else is less than futile guesswork. And the best place to start that process is probably 2Pet 3:8KJV which teaches that God is outside of, or not affected by, time as we think of it.

What Desert Reign has said on this is, in my opinion, absolutely correct. Time is not an actuality, or a thing, that it can affect anything. It is simply a way we have devised for measuring our grey hairs so to speak. And we have decided that the best way to do that is to base it on God's creative acts regarding day/night and the resulting periods set by the earth, moon and sun.

Sin, on the other hand, is an active reality, from the Fall of Adam, that continues its work of decay in our physical bodies creating more and more 'grey hairs' for us to measure. God does not have 'grey hairs' nor does He sin. To ask the question, then, "How does God experience time?", is to misunderstand how utterly 'other' God is.

To put it another way, how can God 'experience' a human fabrication designed to measure the outworking of sin?

On the other hand, by His grace, He can and does accommodate Himself, in Scripture, to our limited, earthly understanding of how things work and will speak to us in linear terms for our ease of understanding His precepts. Consider Gal 4:4KJV to appreciate how He is Lord over even that which does not exist, working with it, without getting His hands dirty, to fulfill to the letter all judicial and prophetic requirements with only our good in mind.

Welcome to TOL

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame