Global Warming, Is It A Man Made Hoax?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Thanks. I've downloaded that chart.
It looks as if the average sea level rise over the last 20 years has been about 2".
But that could accelerate sharply as ice melts and leaves the continents.

It is accelerating; Greenland icecap is melting faster than anticipated.

One method of Highest Tide control that we have been working on is all about NOT trying to reclaim low marshlands as a permanent agricultural feature, but rather to use such wetlands for pastoral farming only and in emergencies to open barriers so that the sea can surge in, thus slowing the tidal impetus further up an estuary and helping to save a city. One feature of estuaries is that tidal waves take time to travel up them, a noon high tide where I live, out in the Thames estuary doesn't reach London Tower Bridge until about 1530hrs. Thank goodness it's not the other way 'round. :

Yes. We call them "tidal bores", where a wave rushes up an estuary.

I often think about the low countries...... Holland has always been an outstanding example of land reclamation and civil engineering, but a meter rise in sea levels would be a fraught situation for it. A sea wall failure wouldn't kill hundreds...... it would be thousands and thousands.

I would think they'd be finding ways to reinforce earthworks, and to have emergency plans at hand. They may need it.

eider

It is accelerating; Greenland icecap is melting faster than anticipated.
Yep....

Yes. We call them "tidal bores", where a wave rushes up an estuary.
We only call tidal surges 'bores', like the Severn bore which surfers can ride for several miles.
The Thames (for example) doesn't have a tidal surge, just an indiscernible wave which is what any high tide is.

I would think they'd be finding ways to reinforce earthworks, and to have emergency plans at hand. They may need it.
They sure are the tidal-wall engineers. In 1954 a Dutch engineer designed the sea defences to protect our cliffs here from washing away any further. 65 years later we haven't lost another inch of cliff edge. They do know their stuff, alright. But if the sea rises one meter........ :help: