Give me liberty of give me death!

tieman55

I vaguely remember reading those words in a school text book, many years ago. I recall those profound words being characterized as "Patrick Henry's immortal words". Boy was that text book ever wrong about being immortal! I wonder if those words are ever even utter in an urban class room today, let alone taught?

As I re-read Henry's speech this morning, many passages came to remind me of current events. But one sticks out and I thought of Trump. The quote is "This is no time for ceremony". That hits Trump head on.

The supporters of Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders surly wouldn't have the slightest concept of liberty or dying for the sake of it. What would the common refrain be from one of their supporters?

So, juxtapose Henry's word's "Give me liberty or give me death" to the common tenets of the left and what words do you get?

Perhaps you will hear something like this: "Give us what we want or we will burn it down!"

Patrick Henry link: https://www.history.org/almanack/life/politics/giveme.cfm

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Apparently, the right is your problem:

The Texas Board of Education has been meeting this week to revise its social studies curriculum. During the past three days, “the board’s far-right faction wielded their power to shape lessons on the civil rights movement, the U.S. free enterprise system and hundreds of other topics”:

— To avoid exposing students to “transvestites, transsexuals and who knows what else,” the Board struck the curriculum’s reference to “sex and gender as social constructs.”

— The Board removed Thomas Jefferson from the Texas curriculum, “replacing him with religious right icon John Calvin.”

— The Board refused to require that “students learn that the Constitution prevents the U.S. government from promoting one religion over all others.”

— The Board struck the word “democratic” from the description of the U.S. government, instead terming it a “constitutional republic.”

https://thinkprogress.org/texas-boa...-jefferson-out-of-its-textbooks-477678f05e7f/

Patrick Henry was only their first. They're trying to remove any vestiges of freedom from history and government classes.

Why did Jefferson get the boot? Apparently, the right was offended by his advocacy of religious freedom. So instead of Jefferson being presented as an important influence in our laws, we have...

John Calvin, who thought it was a good idea to burn alive anyone who disagreed with him on religion.

Gary K

Banned
The Board struck the word “democratic” from the description of the U.S. government, instead terming it a “constitutional republic.”

I came close to squirting my morning beverage out my nose and ears when I read this as listed as something that the Texas Board of Education has done. I'm still chuckling as I write this. Why? Because Barby quoted this as being terrible behavior. That tells you what Barby thinks of truth. The truth is this nation has never been a democracy. It was conceived of, and created to be, a constitutional republic.

Barby shows his utter ignorance once again.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Republican politicians today are the most anti-liberty people in the US . They want "liberty ", but for themselves . If you're LGBT , a woman seeking to control her body, her life, her health and her future , an atheist, etc, forget it .
To the right in America , only heterosexual Christians, preferably evangelical ones , as Catholics are suspect , have any rights . And men definitely have more rights and freedom than women , who are supposed to be dutiful housewives snd mothers .
The GOP and its allies in the religious right are anti-progress, anti-freedom, anti-justice and ant-equality . All men are created equal, except for women, blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, Jews,
LGBT people, the poor, the struggling middle class, poor children, the disabled , seriously ill people who can't afford health care, the elderly and infirm , non-christians , and so forth .
the right in America is trying to take America back - right back to the dark ages .
Of course , most Christians in America are nowhere near as extreme in their views as the religious right, so please don't accuse me of "hating Christians ". I certainly don't .
Ad Trump, a man with absolutely no principles, ethics, morals, conscience, compassion, wisdom,
honesty and integrity , is cynically exploiting the GOP and the religious right in order to gain maximum power and wealth for himself . He's an opportunistic con man , nothing more .

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... Trump, a man with absolutely no principles, ethics, morals, conscience, compassion, wisdom,
honesty and integrity , is cynically exploiting the GOP and the religious right in order to gain maximum power and wealth for himself . He's an opportunistic con man , nothing more .

and he's still better than hillary would have been :banana:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

I vaguely remember reading those words in a school text book, many years ago. I recall those profound words being characterized as "Patrick Henry's immortal words". Boy was that text book ever wrong about being immortal! I wonder if those words are ever even utter in an urban class room today, let alone taught?

As I re-read Henry's speech this morning, many passages came to remind me of current events. But one sticks out and I thought of Trump. The quote is "This is no time for ceremony". That hits Trump head on.

The supporters of Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders surly wouldn't have the slightest concept of liberty or dying for the sake of it. What would the common refrain be from one of their supporters?

So, juxtapose Henry's word's "Give me liberty or give me death" to the common tenets of the left and what words do you get?

Perhaps you will hear something like this: "Give us what we want or we will burn it down!"

Patrick Henry link: https://www.history.org/almanack/life/politics/giveme.cfm
Starting with the Reagan Administration, America's 1% orchestrated a massive upward shift in private wealth over the next 4 decades - all under the guise of promoting "individual liberties!"

Perhaps "tieman55" would care to comment on the fate of those "liberties" once enjoyed by America's middle-class and displaced workers in the manufacturing sector who all had their "American Dream" unceremoniously terminated?

After inflation adjustment, the average salary of America's public school teachers, the glue that helps keep society functioning, has actually decreased since 2000!

The other 99% of American society have been waiting patiently for their turn and if Elizabeth Warren/Bernie Sanders can deliver it for them, Patrick Henry would approve!