Gillette Attacks Men and Masculinity

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You have been brainwashed by Big Razor.
Your face wont itch once the protective covering has been reestablished. The oils from the hair and skin work together to protect the face, just like the head.

let it all grow for a year once

never stopped being itchy

and i don't buy gillette anyways - use an old school double sided safety razor - had to order blades online last time - a pack of five lasts me a couple years

i'd go cordless electric (and probably will in the future), but i only shave once a week or so right now - winter waterlessness - pain in the neck to shave from a pot of water heated on the stove

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Boycotting rarely works. However, I will never stop pointing out that Gillette hates their customers based on this ad.

It's too bad. I used to sell Gillette products and they never had quality problems which made them easy to sell. The company liked their customers and always jumped to clear issues with great customer service even at higher levels if I escalated a problem. But that was many many many years ago and I'm betting with the hatred they are showing their customers now those sentiments have changed 180 degrees.

fool

Hall of Fame
let it all grow for a year once

never stopped being itchy

and i don't buy gillette anyways - use an old school double sided safety razor - had to order blades online last time - a pack of five lasts me a couple years

i'd go cordless electric (and probably will in the future), but i only shave once a week or so right now - winter waterlessness - pain in the neck to shave from a pot of water heated on the stove

Ok, shaving once a week isn't being clean shaven.
When you had the beard how did you care for it? Perhaps the itching was from the soap/ shampoo? I treat my head and face the same as the rest of my body with one product in the shower. I first stopped shaving when I had a bad case of Eczema, one of the first I had and I was researching it and found that the stuff they put in shampoos, conditioners, lotions and shaving creams could be the trigger.
So I eliminated all that, got one product so I could control my exposure.

I'm not going to tell you I could have built a Ferrari with the time I've saved not shaving but I sure have hit the snooze button a few and not bought razors or used water a whole lot.

genuineoriginal

Feminizing Boys as We Masculinize Girls

There is no question that today parents are being urged to encourage their sons to be sensitive to the needs of others, emotional, and helpful; and not to be aggressive. At the same time they are encouraging their daughters to defend their beliefs, take leadership roles, and be self-reliant and competitive.

The problem for boys and men whose masculinity is being subject to attack is that many studies have shown that both women and men who scored higher on the masculinity (than the femininity) scale were more likely to have higher self-esteem (which often correlates with success). The original thinking by Bem and others was that the most highly successful people would be androgynous – defined as scoring above the median on both masculinity and femininity; so it was surprising to many that this was often not the case, but rather that scoring higher on masculinity was frequently the best predictor of success.

I am not saying that extremes of masculinity, which could include violence, are acceptable. But given the association of masculine traits with self-esteem and success, something which our society has now at least tacitly recognized for our daughters, and given the many ways in which boys and young men are lagging behind girls and young women in their education as well as many other ways, it seems unwise to feminize our sons while we encourage independence, self-confidence, and competitiveness in our daughters.

Finally, if evolutionary psychology means anything at all -- and there is much evidence that it does -- will our independent, strong, and confident daughters ultimately want men who don’t share these traits?

ok doser

Ok, shaving once a week isn't being clean shaven.
When you had the beard how did you care for it? Perhaps the itching was from the soap/ shampoo? I treat my head and face the same as the rest of my body with one product in the shower. I first stopped shaving when I had a bad case of Eczema, one of the first I had and I was researching it and found that the stuff they put in shampoos, conditioners, lotions and shaving creams could be the trigger.
So I eliminated all that, got one product so I could control my exposure.

I'm not going to tell you I could have built a Ferrari with the time I've saved not shaving but I sure have hit the snooze button a few and not bought razors or used water a whole lot.

what can i say?

i'm a sensitive guy with a pretty face :)

when i ended the year long experiment (many many years ago), i had my dad give me a buzz cut and shaved off all the whiskers

people at work didn't recognize me :chuckle:

genuineoriginal

me-after-every-shave-15386423.png

why-men-shaving-meme.jpeg

theres-a-name-shaving-meme.jpg

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let your beard flag fly!
But seriously, I think plucking is the preferred method for that, I had an inch long corkscrew type hair erupt from my forehead overnight once. I didn't start shaving my forehead.

There gets to be too many for that after a certain age is reached. A clean face is preferred. I am one for the tidy look, being a veteran and all.

ok doser

well, not of the day, but surely you were trained in fire rescue, scott air packs, respirators for hazardous materials handling, gas masks, etc

heck, i'm currently retired and i wear a face mask at least a couple times a week, for paint fumes, grinding, cutting and sanding, fumes and dust, etc

genuineoriginal

well, not of the day, but surely you were trained in fire rescue, scott air packs, respirators for hazardous materials handling, gas masks, etc

heck, i'm currently retired and i wear a face mask at least a couple times a week, for paint fumes, grinding, cutting and sanding, fumes and dust, etc

The beard caused no problems with those face masks for me.
:idunno:

ok doser

The beard caused no problems with those face masks for me.
:idunno:

i remember the scott air pack being an issue, way back when i was working security in an industrial plant and had a lot of fire safety training - we were required to be clean shaven

and i remember doing a lot of drywall work at one time when i was bearded - the streaks along my beard showed very clearly where all the dust was being drawn past the mask into my lungs