Garden talk

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Four wheeler riders better stay out of my yard. I only have two acres. My garden is right next to the white wooden fence that surrounds the barn yard (my driveway turnaround) for the barn that belongs to my next door neighbors. My neighbors own five acres in the middle of a twenty-five acre farm (owned by the wife's step father) and their land is unfenced.
That's hard on us four wheeler riders.

The Nazis used to stretch piano wire across the road and it'd take off one's head when riding in a jeep. They used to place a vertical blade on the front of jeeps and they'd here the wires twang as they drove down the road.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. But, this year, the cicadas are coming out (They've been talking about it on the news for the last two weeks.). Basically, the cicadas come out during Mothers' Day week sometime and will be out for about two months before dying off for another 17 years.
Nori, have ya'll had trouble with grasshoppers in your area?
The last couple of years, they have been thick around here.

I have heard someone say that they were going to try and place a smoker in the middle of the garden and keep a small fire going everyday.
If they are bad again this year, I may try that for a few days and see if it actually works.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Four wheeler riders better stay out of my yard. I only have two acres. My garden is right next to the white wooden fence that surrounds the barn yard (my driveway turnaround) for the barn that belongs to my next door neighbors. My neighbors own five acres in the middle of a twenty-five acre farm (owned by the wife's step father) and their land is unfenced.

:salute:

I'll stay out. :)

theophilus

Deer are easy to keep away. Take to posts (I use the thin ones that farmers use to string barbed wire on) and string fishing line at knee height and chest height (on a deer). The deer can't see the line so when they hit it, it scares them. To keep all but birds away, try planting in straw bales. To keep birds away, cut up an old garden hose into about eight to twelve inch pieces. They think they're snakes.

Hey Nori,

Elaborate, please, on planting in straw bales.

Thanks!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, in the fall, I bought about fifteen straw (not hay) bales. I soaked them really good with a water hose and let them sit all winter. That allowed them to turn to mulch on the inside. In about a week or so (depending on the weather), I will be planting my starts out in the bales. You can plant on all the sides but the bottom. I'm going to have to get some more plants from the nursery because I didn't have enough cups for all the starts I wanted to do. But, that's all right. Once I get my garden started outside, I will have my daughter take some photos for me so you can see it. But, I'm including some photos I found online so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

View attachment 24064View attachment 24065View attachment 24066
Hey Nori,

Elaborate, please, on planting in straw bales.

Thanks!

theophilus

Well, in the fall, I bought about fifteen straw (not hay) bales. I soaked them really good with a water hose and let them sit all winter. That allowed them to turn to mulch on the inside. In about a week or so (depending on the weather), I will be planting my starts out in the bales. You can plant on all the sides but the bottom. I'm going to have to get some more plants from the nursery because I didn't have enough cups for all the starts I wanted to do. But, that's all right. Once I get my garden started outside, I will have my daughter take some photos for me so you can see it. But, I'm including some photos I found online so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

View attachment 24064View attachment 24065View attachment 24066

And straw bales will keep the varmints out of the veggies?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From what I've read, yes. Rabbits and moles can't dig through the straw bales. And, if you look up companion planting, you can plant certain herbs and flowers next to certain vegetables and fruits to keep bugs away. I'm going to plant lavendar next to my front door to keep mosquitoes away. And, I know that marigolds and other flowers are good to plant in a vegetable garden. And, I'm actually thinking about planting a sunflower patch for the birds in the far corner of my yard, away from my garden and berry bushes.
And straw bales will keep the varmints out of the veggies?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm soooo excited about my garden! My seeds have started to sprout. I have tomato sprouts, cucumber sprouts, kidney bean sprouts, squash sprouts, and artichoke sprouts. Plus, my catnip and lavendar have doubled in size and I've got strawberry roots started in hanging pots.