Feeling Sorry For God

WeberHome

-
Mark 12:30 . .You shall love The Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.

One of the aspects of love is empathy; which can be roughly defined as emotional responses related to things like compassion, pity, and sympathy.

It isn't necessary to like God in order to comply with Mark 12:30, but it is necessary to feel sorry for Him; i.e. feel God's pain whenever He's upset about something; viz: to commiserate with God's sorrow.

I've had people actually tell me that God has no feelings; i.e. He doesn't get emotional-- He's above all that. Well; I have no clue how anyone can read the Bible and come to the conclusion that God has no feelings because even in the Bible's very first book we find God in remorse.

Gen 6:5-6 . . Now The Lord observed the extent of the people's wickedness, and he saw that all their thoughts were consistently and totally evil. So The Lord was sorry he had ever made them. It broke his heart.

And although God didn't particularly like the people whom Moses led out of Egypt (Ex 32:9-10) at the same time, He commiserated with their suffering. (Isa 63:9)

For some people; it's asking too much for them to commiserate with God because they were born with defective amygdalae; which are portions of the brain that trigger emotional responses.

The thing is; just as there are people who can recognize humor while at the same time not be tickled by it, so there are people who can recognize suffering while at the same time not be moved by it. Those kinds of empathy-challenged people are often labeled callous, insensitive, and hard hearted. The really bad cases end up labeled monsters because the horrific things they are capable of doing to their fellow man are beyond humane comprehension.

Seeing as how non compliance with Mark 12:30 is worthy of the sum of all fears; then how are empathy-challenged people to have any hope of escaping it?

Well; the answer to that is of course the Xmas story.

Luke 2:10-11 . . I bring you good news of a great joy which shall be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a savior

Webster's defines a savior as one who rescues. Everyone has seen examples of rescuers-- lifeguards, firemen, cops, emergency medical teams, Coast Guard units, snow patrols, and mountain rescue teams. Rescuers typically get people to safety who are facing imminent death and/or grave danger while utterly helpless to do anything about it.

1John 4:10 . . In this is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His son to be the propitiation for our sins.

/

WeberHome

Re: Feeling Sorry For God

-
Well; I have to admit it is very difficult to sympathize with someone while at the same time disliking them immensely.

BTW: Rom 1:28-32 lists malice towards God as a depravity. Whether or not that's really true is of course left up to each individual to decide for themselves.

/

WeberHome

-
Adam wasn't a precise replication of God, but he was pretty close.

Gen 1:26-27 . . God said: Let us make man in our image, in our likeness. So God created man in His own image.

Later on, God brought out a much better replication of Himself than Adam.

John 1:14 . . And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 14:8-10 . . Philip said: Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us. Jesus answered: Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say show us the Father? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?

Col 2:9 . . For in him all the fullness of divinity dwells in bodily form.

Heb 1:3 . .The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His being

Now, if people can prove to me-- clearly, conclusively, and without ambiguity and/or clever sophistry --that Christ has no feelings; then maybe I will accept that his Father has none too.

/

WeberHome

-
Disappointment can be defined as the emotion felt when one's expectations are not met.

By the time most people are adults; they've no doubt undergone at least one disappointing experience wherein they've been let down so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to empathize with God's disappointments.

Frustration can be defined as exasperation; viz: the feeling of impatience or anger caused by another's repeated disagreeable acts.

Again: by the time most people are adults; they've no doubt encountered at least one difficult individual so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to empathize with God's frustrations.

I think God would sincerely appreciate a little sympathy from us for the numerous disappointments and frustrations He endures in his dealings with mankind.

I've heard it said that half of us go to funerals to honor folk we couldn't be bothered with when they were alive, and then lie through out teeth when we tell the family "I'm sorry for your loss."

Well; I suspect that most people don't give God even that degree of pity let alone honest and heart-felt pity. Humanity, on the whole, is indifferent to God's feelings; far from tender and sensitive, humanity's attitude towards God is thoughtless and cruel.

"When others are happy, be happy with them. If they are sad, share their sorrow." (Rom 12:15)

I cannot think of even one valid reason why God should not be included among others right along with everyone else in that category.

/

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
-
Disappointment can be defined as the emotion felt when one's expectations are not met.

By the time most people are adults; they've no doubt undergone at least one disappointing experience wherein they've been let down so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to empathize with God's disappointments.

Frustration can be defined as exasperation; viz: the feeling of impatience or anger caused by another's repeated disagreeable acts.

Again: by the time most people are adults; they've no doubt encountered at least one difficult individual so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to empathize with God's frustrations.

I think God would sincerely appreciate a little sympathy from us for the numerous disappointments and frustrations He endures in his dealings with mankind.

I've heard it said that half of us go to funerals to honor folk we couldn't be bothered with when they were alive, and then lie through out teeth when we tell the family "I'm sorry for your loss."

Well; I suspect that most people don't give God even that degree of pity let alone honest and heart-felt pity. Humanity, on the whole, is indifferent to God's feelings; far from tender and sensitive, humanity's attitude towards God is thoughtless and cruel.

"When others are happy, be happy with them. If they are sad, share their sorrow." (Rom 12:15)

I cannot think of even one valid reason why God should not be included among others right along with everyone else in that category.

/

I said
Your taking God off His throne and bringing Him down to our level. That is an insult to Him. We are suppose to fear God.

[Luk 1:50
50 And His mercy [is] on those who fear Him From generation to generation.

WeberHome

-
Your taking God off His throne and bringing Him down to our level. That is an insult to Him. We are suppose to fear God.

You're stuck in fright mode, wary of an iron-fisted despot, because you have no feelings for God; i.e. you're just another run of the mill John Que pew warmer rather than one of His friends.

1John 4:18 . .There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Rom 8:15 . . You should not be like cowering, fearful slaves. You should behave instead like God's very own children, adopted into his family-- calling him: Father, dear Father.

/

Last edited:

WeberHome

-
Hos 1:2a & 3 . .When Yhvh began to speak through Hosea, Yhvh said to him: Go, take to yourself an adulterous wife, and children of unfaithfulness. So he married Gomer; daughter of Diblaim.

God had a special purpose in mind when He ordered Hosea to take an immoral woman to be his spouse.

Hos 1:2b . . Because the land is guilty of the vilest adultery in departing from Yhvh.

God was in the process of dispatching Hosea to lay a guilt trip on His people for their gross negligence to honor the covenant they made with Him as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy-- a covenant which God apparently regards equivalent to a wedding vow.

But God didn't want Hosea's preaching to be more dispassionate barking and threatening like Jonah's because in this case, the element of jealousy was a factor. (Ex 20:5)

However, in order for Hosea to convey God's disappointment with His people effectively, it was necessary to put Hosea through some of God's troubles so he could not only convey God's disappointment, but also project it. Like it's said: one cannot truly know what somebody is going through till they themselves go through it.

If some of you guys out there have never experienced the pain of a two-timing lover or a cheating spouse, then you cannot even begin to appreciate how God feels when His people are unfaithful. It hurts, and if you don't think so; just ask somebody who's been there; or better yet, somebody there now.

/

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
-

You're stuck in fright mode, wary of an iron-fisted despot, because you have no feelings for God; i.e. you're just another run of the mill John Que pew warmer rather than one of His friends.

1John 4:18 . .There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Rom 8:15 . . You should not be like cowering, fearful slaves. You should behave instead like God's very own children, adopted into his family-- calling him: Father, dear Father.

/

I said
[Psa 33:8
8 Let all the earth fear the LORD; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.
[Psa 119:161
161 SHIN. Princes persecute me without a cause, But my heart stands in awe of Your word.

WeberHome

-
I honestly don't know how it's any more ridiculous to pity God than it is to pity one's fellow men. In point of fact: I sincerely believe that God would appreciate people taking some interest in some of His personal affairs.

For instance, how do you suppose God felt when His son was brutally beaten and bloodied beyond recognition, nailed to a cross, and stabbed with a spear? Do you really think God was somehow indifferent to all that and no more disturbed by it than if the Romans had accidentally stepped on a garden slug?

The Bible says that God loves His son. Well; in my mind's eye God's love for His son is just as strong an emotional attachment as the love that ordinary people feel for children.

Real love is a bonding agent. People unable to pity God are that way because their hearts aren't knit with His; consequently they have no interest in His feelings when He's upset.

Pity is in the Bible as a holy virtue. In point of fact, there are instances in the Bible where God condemns people for their lack of pity; and those who have shown no pity, will be judged without pity.

Matt 5:7 . . Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

The koiné Greek word for "merciful" in that passage means: compassionate. People who by nature are uncompassionate would do well to use the time remaining to them to begin preparing themselves for the worst because Heaven is a society where only caring people are allowed to remain.

/

WeberHome

-
Matt 9:13 . .Go and learn what this means: "I desire mercy, not sacrifice."

In order to properly understand Christ's statement; it's necessary to go back into the Old Testament from whence he got it.

Hos 6:4-6 . .What can I do with you, Ephraim? What can I do with you, Judah? Your love is like the morning mist, like the early dew that disappears. Therefore I cut you in pieces with my prophets, I slaughtered you with the words of my mouth; My judgments flashed like lightning upon you. For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Love that's like the morning mist is just a vapor; there's no real substance to it.

In other words: God accepts Temple sacrifices when they're offered by people who exemplify the milk of human kindness, and He fully rejects the offerings of thoughtless clods and insensitive jerks, which is exactly what the Pharisees of his day were. They were religious to their fingertips; i.e. they knew, and they practiced, the letter of their covenanted law-- they dotted all the I's and they crossed all the T's. But though they were so religious; they lacked compassion. Their callous regard for a woman Jesus healed on a Sabbath proves it. (Luke 13:10-16)

Maybe you never miss a Sunday of church attendance, and maybe you tithe faithfully every week; but let me tell you something: God is rejecting every last bit of your superficial worship if you are by nature indifferent to suffering, need, and misfortune. You'd be better off spending Sunday morning at a sports bar rather than wasting God's time at church.

Mic 6:8 . . He has told you, O man, what is good-- and what does Yhvh require of you but to love kindness.

Conclusion: Unkind people shall be judged with neither sympathy nor pity, and then afterwards; slammed with cruel and unusual punishment. Fair's fair.

Jas 2:13 . . For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy

/

Last edited:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
-
I honestly don't know how it's any more ridiculous to pity God than it is to pity one's fellow men. In point of fact: I sincerely believe that God would appreciate people taking some interest in some of His personal affairs.

For instance, how do you suppose God felt when His son was brutally beaten and bloodied beyond recognition, nailed to a cross, and stabbed with a spear? Do you really think God was somehow indifferent to all that and no more disturbed by it than if the Romans had accidentally stepped on a garden slug?

The Bible says that God loves His son. Well; in my mind's eye God's love for His son is just as strong an emotional attachment as the love that ordinary people feel for children.

Real love is a bonding agent. People unable to pity God are that way because their hearts aren't knit with His; consequently they have no interest in His feelings when He's upset.

Pity is in the Bible as a holy virtue. In point of fact, there are instances in the Bible where God condemns people for their lack of pity; and those who have shown no pity, will be judged without pity.

Matt 5:7 . . Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

The koiné Greek word for "merciful" in that passage means: compassionate. People who by nature are uncompassionate would do well to use the time remaining to them to begin preparing themselves for the worst because Heaven is a society where only caring people are allowed to remain.

/

I said
Like I said your bringing God down to mans level. That is an insult to God.

You Must Fear God
[Luk 1:50
50 And His mercy [is] on those who fear Him From generation to generation.Rev 19:5-6
5 Then a voice came from the throne, saying, "Praise our God, all you His servants and those who fear Him, both small and great!"
6 And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty thunderings, saying, "Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!
Rev 14:6-7
6 Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth-- to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people--
7 saying with a loud voice, "Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water."
1 Pet 2:17
17 Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.
Acts 13:26
26 "Men and brethren, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you who fear God, to you the word of this salvation has been sent.
Acts 13:16-17
16 Then Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand said, "Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:
17 "The God of this people Israel chose our fathers, and exalted the people when they dwelt as strangers in the land of Egypt, and with an uplifted arm He brought them out of it.
Matt 25:24-30
24 "Then he who had received the one talent came and said, 'Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed.
25 'And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.'
26 "But his lord answered and said to him, 'You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed.
27 'So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest.
28 'Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
29 'For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away.
30 'And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
Luke 19:20-27
20 "Then another came, saying, 'Master, here is your mina, which I have kept put away in a handkerchief.
21 'For I feared you, because you are an austere man. You collect what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow.'
22 "And he said to him, 'Out of your own mouth I will judge you, you wicked servant. You knew that I was an austere man, collecting what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow.
23 'Why then did you not put my money in the bank, that at my coming I might have collected it with interest?'
24 "And he said to those who stood by, 'Take the mina from him, and give it to him who has ten minas.'
25 ("But they said to him, 'Master, he has ten minas.')
26 'For I say to you, that to everyone who has will be given; and from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.
27 'But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.'"
(NKJ)

xxx One must have the proper fear of God to know God.

Heb 12:4-12
4 You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.
5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: "My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives."
7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?
8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons.
9 Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?
10 For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness.
11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
12 Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees,
(NKJ)

xxx Those who dont fear God.

Rom 3:10-18
10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands; there is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside; they have together become unprofitable; there is none who does good, no, not one."
13 "Their throat is an open tomb; with their tongues they have practiced deceit"; "The poison of asps is under their lips";
14 "Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness."
15 "Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 Destruction and misery are in their ways;
17 And the way of peace they have not known."
18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
(NKJ)

WeberHome

-
Victims of malicious pity in the form of cruel mockery and/or demeaning comments deliberately intended to hurt their feelings, tear them down and make them feel bad about themselves; and people in dysfunctional families where courtesy, thoughtfulness, and respect for one another's feelings is non existent; are sometimes conditioned by too much of that kind of negativity to become sympathy-challenged; and to mistrust any and all pity-- even sincere, honest pity --as a knife to the heart instead of an expression of good will.

That kind of conditioning is very difficult to overcome-- difficult, but not impossible; at least not impossible for Christ's believing followers.

Rom 8:11 . . If the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you.

At first glance that passage appears to be speaking of the body's future resurrection, and it probably is; but it's also talking about the here and now regarding the power of a supernatural benefit package called the fruit of the Spirit. (Gal 5:19-25)

/

Last edited:

WeberHome

-
The fruit of the Spirit as per Gal 5:19-25 wasn't a new revelation in the days of the apostles. It was predicted many years before them in the Old Testament.

Ezek 36:26-28 . . I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

An "heart of flesh" would normally be regarded in modern Sunday school classes as a bad thing; here in Ezekiel, flesh is juxtaposed with stone to indicate that God is talking about tenderness; which can be defined as gentleness, kindness, sensitivity, and deep affection; i.e. the warm, softer emotions.

A heart of stone is a cold, dead heart like those great granite monoliths in Yosemite Valley. They feel not the slightest bit of pity for climbers who lose their grip and fall. Nope, those big rocks just go on like nothing ever happened; silent, indifferent, unconcerned, non grieving, uncompassionate, and unsympathetic; i.e. they feel nothing: nothing at all.

Col 3:12 . . As God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion

/

Last edited: