ECT Exodus 24:9-11

nikolai_42

What's going on here? I honestly don't know that I ever remember thinking about this passage. I'm sure I've read it (years ago) but I read it as though for the first time last night :

Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel:
And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.

Exodus 24:9-11

While I have other questions about this passage, one of the chief is how the seventy could see "the God of Israel" and survive? Was this just a reflection? A representation?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
While I have other questions about this passage, one of the chief is how the seventy could see "the God of Israel" and survive? Was this just a reflection? A representation?

They saw the preincarnate Christ who led the people of Jacob out of Egypt.

For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:4 NKJV)​

glorydaz

What's going on here? I honestly don't know that I ever remember thinking about this passage. I'm sure I've read it (years ago) but I read it as though for the first time last night :

Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel:
And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.

Exodus 24:9-11

It's interesting. The description given reminds me of Ezek. 1 and Rev. 4....as if they were looking up through the crystal floor. :think:

achduke

They saw the preincarnate Christ who led the people of Jacob out of Egypt.

For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:4 NKJV)​

Do you think Christ is an angel?

Exodus 23:20 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.

Exodus 23:21 Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Do you think Christ is an angel?

Exodus 23:20 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.

Exodus 23:21 Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.

Angel meaning messenger?

I got no problem with it.

achduke

Angel meaning messenger?

I got no problem with it.

If indeed the angel in Exodus was Christ then why did not Stephen say so while he was preaching before his death by stoning?

Act 7:38 "This is he who was in the congregation in the wilderness with the Angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our fathers, the one who received the living oracles to give to us,

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
If indeed the angel in Exodus was Christ then why did not Stephen say so while he was preaching before his death by stoning?

Act 7:38 "This is he who was in the congregation in the wilderness with the Angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our fathers, the one who received the living oracles to give to us,

He's talking about Moses, what's yer point?

achduke

He's talking about Moses, what's yer point?

He talks about Moses and the angel but does not mention Christ when he has the chance?

The point is the angel may have been Christ pre-incarnate but there is no scripture that absolutely points to this.

Paul also talks about this but does not mention Christ was the one giving the law at that time..

Galatians 3:19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator.

Hebrews 1:1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe

The angels worship Christ.

Hebrews 1:6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,

Let all God’s angels worship him.”

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The point is the angel may have been Christ pre-incarnate but there is no scripture that absolutely points to this.

And God spoke all these words, saying... (Exodus 20:1 NKJV)​

God spoke? Was this the one who became Jesus' father? No.

You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. (John 5:37 NKJV)​

Did anyone see or hear Christ?

So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (Genesis 32:30 NKJV)​

The Hebrew Bible affirms Christ as God.