• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Evolutionists: How did legs evolve?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian, I did warn you before, that I am hard to impress, like a bad date.

This is less for you than for people who are approaching this with a less locked-in opinion.

Looking at http://www.zobodat.at/stable/pdf/ANNA_83_0083-0090.pdf and reading about Parvancorina, this is an extremely "complex" organism, so it just pushes back the question from "where are trilobites ancestors?" to "where are Parvancorina's ancestors".

Of course. It's the classic YE creationism story "every transitional just creates two new gaps."

The Ediacaran period is described by many as an experimental period.

Like pretty much every other. During the therapsid radiation, there was a huge variety of mammal-like reptiles. Ultimately only one line of them went on to survive.

During the Pliocene, there were many, many different forms of horses that evolved, and then went extict, with only one branch of the tree surviving to today.

During the Ediacaran, there were many, many forms of complex organisms, only a few of which survived into the Cambrian.

Depending on one's disposition, experiment by evolution, or experiment by God? I am the only one on this forum (that I know of) who pushes the idea that God experiments, particularly where there are major changes, like transition from unicellular to multicellular, transition from animal to human, transition from water to land.

If get that. But for most of us, that's not an option,given God's omniscience.

Because God overdoes Himself in creating every variety and shape and size and bizarreness of creature, it makes it easy (even for a 3 year old) to arrange critters in order of similarity of body form.

If that were true, we'd be able to show transitional forms for everything. But there are no feathered mammals, no arthropods with bones, no whales with gills. The fact of transitional forms everywhere that they should be, is impressive, but less so than the fact that there are no transitional forms where they shoudn't be.

I even object to the idea of the "complexity" of life, that some animals are "complex" (highly evolved) and some are "simple" (not highly evolved).

Well said. Biologists tend to not remind others of this fact. If one was challenged to say whether an octopus or a deer was more complex, one would have a lot of difficulty in determining that. Over time, life has tended to be more complex, only because it was necessarily simple in the beginning.

This way of judging organisms implies that complex is better/advanced/more like us. Its evolutionary thinking.

It's creationist thinking. From the standpoint of evolution, all existing life is highly evolved, winners in the competition for survival.

Anything that lives successfully and reproduces itself has finished a winner.
Cyanobacteria, the first to be fossilised, and still with us today, have a winning formula.

Yep.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian notes that Dr. Wise refers to intermediate forms as "transitional forms."
Towards a Creationist Understanding of Transitional Forms
DR KURT P. WISE
https://creation.com/images/pdfs/tj/..._2_216-222.pdf

Yep. See above. It's dishonest of you to pretend otherwise.

What I said was... "Augustine goes the opposite direction from that which you wish.

That is also dishonest of you. As you know very well, St. Augustine pointed out that the "days" of Genesis could not be literal ones; exactly what I told you.

He, like some others thought God had more of an instantaneous creation.

An initial creation which contained the potential to develop from there. Remarkably consistent with modern science and orthodox Christian theology.

Right Divider

Body part
Barbarian notes what God says in Genesis:
Yes. Notice that God didn't directly make life, but used pre-existing natural things to do it. So the earth produced life, as God intended.
Genesis 1:24 And God said: Let the earth bring forth the living creature in its kind, cattle and creeping things, and beasts of the earth, according to their kinds. And it was so done.

It's what God says. Take it up with Him.

Actually, the word used in Genesis is "Yom", which can mean "day", "always", "in that time", and so on. Since forcing it to mean "literal 24 hour day" would require having mornings and evenings with no Sun to have them, most Christians have always recognized that they are not meant to be literal days.

The notion that they are literal days, is a modern revision to Genesis.
Baloney!

Exod 20:9-11 (AKJV/PCE)
(20:9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: (20:10) But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates: (20:11) For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The Bible makes it CLEAR that the six days of creation were SIX DAYS....

iouae

Like pretty much every other. During the therapsid radiation, there was a huge variety of mammal-like reptiles. Ultimately only one line of them went on to survive.

If that were true, we'd be able to show transitional forms for everything. But there are no feathered mammals, no arthropods with bones, no whales with gills. The fact of transitional forms everywhere that they should be, is impressive, but less so than the fact that there are no transitional forms where they shoudn't be.

I made a trip to the museum the other day to check out the fossils. The therapsids resemble the mammals, just with big canines. The whole Mesozoic or age of the reptiles/dinosaurs seems totally unnecessary to me. We could have gone from the Palaeozoic to the Cainozoic/Cenozoic and skipped the whole Mesozoic thing, and that would have been a smooth transition.

The dinosaurs are a transitional form where they should not be in my book.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I made a trip to the museum the other day to check out the fossils. The therapsids resemble the mammals, just with big canines.

Some therapsids are almost mammals. Others are more reptile-like. Over time, they lost cervical ribs, reduced the lower jaw configuration (thereby gaining 2 more bones in the middle ear), and so on.

The whole Mesozoic or age of the reptiles/dinosaurs seems totally unnecessary to me. We could have gone from the Palaeozoic to the Cainozoic/Cenozoic and skipped the whole Mesozoic thing, and that would have been a smooth transition.

Makes no sense from the concept of design, does it? But the great Creataceous extinction wiped out just about every land animal larger than a few kilograms in weight. And that left the birds as the sole survivors of the dinosaurs.

The dinosaurs are a transitional form where they should not be in my book.

Don't see how. The are nicely placed between the thecodonts and the birds, just where they should be.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Is that a calculation based on a random assembly of amino acids? Then it isn't evolution you've disproved, since none have claimed that a modern genome was assembled randomly - evolution isn't random. I smell intellectual dishonest from you Clete. ;)

See what I mean, everyone?!

Evolution has no definition, it has no core, it has nothing that can be disproved!

In actual fact it does but when you get to an argument that cannot be refuted by anyone the goal post is moved.

It's all certified B.S! It's a flat out lie and they ALL know it.

gctomas here rails against being called dishonest. Well its worse than I thought. He's a liar and a fool, thinking we are all so stupid that we can't remember having explicitly stated that DNA that reproduces itself by whatever means is hopelessly too complex to have arisen by accident. It doesn't have to be a "modern genome", which is where he wants to move the goal post too. It's any genome! Any genome that exists or that anyone has any evidence has ever existed or that even could exist will do because the singular salient point that matters is that no matter how simple it is, it has to be sufficiently complex to have the instructions for reproducing itself INCLUDED in the very first "proto-type" version or else it dies without passing on its genetic data. Such a feat is pure fantasy not science.

You lie to yourself, Tom! You probably think that this stupidity you posted was clever. You're an idiot.

Clete

Arthur Brain

I was interested but I didn't come to this thread having never explored the issue of evolution.

That isn't to say that I wouldn't have allowed my mind to be persuaded had someone presented a surprise argument that managed, by some means, to be persuasive in manner that I couldn't refute. Nor does it mean that had I been presented with an argument I'd never heard before that I would simply ignore it. At the very least I'd look into it and either find a good refutation or admit that I could not do so. That's precisely what it means to "sharpen one's steel". Intellectually honest people aren't afraid to breach nearly any topic precisely because of this exact process. They know that either what they currently believe will be enhanced and strengthened or they will the learn. The intellectually honest are never afraid to learn the truth or to reject error.

Okay, then let me ask you this. Did you initially question evolution from a genuine scientific perspective or because it couldn't add up with your faith? I'm asking that because from many a creationist viewpoint, the biblical creation account has to be read literal verbatim and as such automatically has to preclude any science that contradicts an earth older than circa ten thousand years.

What exactly is your point here anyway? Do you come here to be convinced away from your worldview or to defend it and poke holes in those worldviews that appose it?

A few reasons. On this particular subject I find it fascinating on a number of levels.

I've been here for a very very long time, AB. If you think that anyone is here to be persuaded by anyone, you're wrong. It happens from time to time but coming here thinking that you're going to convince anyone of anything is an exercise in frustration, to say the least.

Well, in total I've been here for over eleven years so it's not like I just signed up a fortnight ago...;)
I don't expect there to be many times where people are persuaded to change their mind or be open to possibilities outside of their belief system but it does happen and it often depends just how entrenched people happen to be in those positions. I've seen people change on here over time by way of and it's not like I haven't felt inclined to question certain things myself where a challenging debate has occurred.

I entertained one alternative cosmology as an intellectual exercise. And the video I posted here is only evidence in the sense that the information is presents is evidence. The video itself is only as good as the content in it. Are you suggesting that the molecular biology depicted in the speaker's computer animations is false or in some way misleading or made up? Surely that isn't what you are suggesting.

Well, what was it debunking exactly? G C Thomas has rebutted you on this.

As for the electric universe thread, it isn't quite dead yet. There are still five more videos in that series and I intend to post them all. If you can refute one word of the material they present, I invite you to do so. It's what the thread is intended to be for. If anyone on TOL ever shows up to do a good job of refuting their arguments my intent is (was) to take the debate over to their own forum and either defeat them in a debate or be defeated myself. Either way, I win.

Well, if that's the parameters for evidence then you've failed to refute the established scientific model whatsoever. You assert that evolution is impossible. The scientific community disagrees. Why not present your evidence to a journal and see what happens?

See, this is where you need to be intellectually honest yourself. If evolution could be so easily disproved then it would have untangled already. Unless you believe there's a world wide conspiracy to suppress the truth for some reason, then the information presented on your video would be available widespread and the theory would go up in smoke if the evidence passed muster. Scientific theories are constantly under review and scrutiny and there's a reason why evolution is globally accepted outside of creationists and fringe 'science'.

I've responded to the arguments made. None have been made that don't automatically fall apart once removed from an evolutionary paradigm. I'm telling you that evolution is flawed on a conceptual level and that is the level at which I will keep the debate until such time as the evolutionist had earned the intellectual ground that he must stand on in order to offer interpretations of data. You want me to concede that ground by responding to specific "evidence" as though it were legitimate evidence because you know, perhaps just intuitively, that for me to do so concedes the entire debate. I won't be making that mistake.

Your assertions don't mean anything where it comes to science. Nor do mine for that matter but the evidence does.

That was my strategy in a nutshell, yes.

It worked out rather nicely although not with the impact I envisioned at the beginning.

But what you call credible support for evolution is only that if you accept the premise of the evolutionary paradigm. As such it isn't support, its question begging. A point I have made repeatedly and that has not been refuted. In fact, if anything, it was acknowledged, if not conceded.

So, you're starting off with the premise that evolution has to be false? Then the onus is on you to show why the global scientific community has things wrong and why you, have it right.

Everyone is entrenched, AB. Everyone! Every scientist, every pastor, every expert or even skilled laymen on any topic you care to name. Every single person that spends the time and effort to learn gets more and more entrenched into whatever worldview he has chosen to accept. This is so precisely because of the time and effort he has put into the learning of it as well and the relationships he has built within and around that effort, whether its people he's learned from or with or people he has taught. The secret is to have dug your trench honestly and to have provided a means for escape from the hole you've dug if error is detected. There is one and only one single way to accomplish that. Sound reason! Unfortunately for you, logic is intellectual ground that atheists haven't earned and cannot use without borrowing from the Christian worldview. That alone disproves evolution but I almost never make or use that argument because it implies that I really ought not even be having the conversation in the first place because to do so implies your right to use the logic that rightly only belongs to my side of the argument. That sort of make TOL a boring place to be.

Well, where it comes to science then that's not true. Science works independently from human beliefs, emotions etc. If the data doesn't hold up then the theory is discarded or modified depending. In essence, science is neutral. You or I may have strong opinions on certain matters but that matters squat where it comes to actual science. logic isn't dependent on belief and that's you trying to shoehorn an opinion that you can't actually substantiate with the thing you claim to value so much - sound reason. FTR I'm not an atheist, not that it would matter on that score regardless.

Oh it flies alright. It flies so unbelievably well that none of you evolutionists have hardly touched the subject matter and none of you has addressed the actual argument I've made based on the information presented in that video. That argument being, in a nut shell, "Legs from fins, doesn't explain the legs found on molecular machines inside every cell that just so happen to not only have hip, knee and ankle joints but that are long enough so as to "step over obstacles" as the speaker put it in the video." There was, as best as I can recall, no explanation at all about where other legs come from. Legs from fins was pretty much the only thing offered. I could have chosen to press the issue by pointing out that fins are just water born legs and insisted on an explanation of where fish legs (fins) come from but I knew that doing so would prematurely back you guys into a corner and so chose to accept it for the sake of argument and instead attempted to get some explanation for where insect and spider legs came from. The closest we got to that was a claim as to where spiders themselves came from but no form of any creature related to spiders or even insects was presented that didn't already have fully formed legs, and when it became apparent that nothing along that line was forthcoming, I pulled the trigger and presented the video.

Admittedly, the video didn't have the impact I was hoping for but that was because I naively expected a far more robust explanation of how evolutionary "science" believes legs of all sorts evolved. The ensuing conversations where not expected at the outset. They evolved from my attempts to draw what I was expecting out of whomever I could draw it out of but it never came. As a result the video which was intended to refute every explanation for all sort of legs only got to directly impact the legs from fins idea. It still refutes other leg evolution ideas in that it refutes evolution itself but just not with the impacts that I wanted. That is sort of the beautiful thing about the truth though. When you're stuck in a falsehood, robust explanations are indeed rather rare and hard to come by and when presented, whether in video form or otherwise, the truth still refutes the lie whether the lie is fully fledged or not.

Clete

If it flies as well as you believe it does then why hasn't it gone viral as the debunking of evolution? Why is it even allowed to still remain in the public domain if the evidence is so compelling and scientists would prefer it 'covered up'? If you're really as concerned with intellectual honesty then some alarm bells should be ringing for you now Clete. As before, if evolution could be so easily disproved then logic dictates it would have happened long before this thread (and a myriad others) even began.

gcthomas

[MENTION=2589]Clete[/MENTION], now that you have for the latest round of unprovoked name calling and juvenile insulting off your chest ...

Before you congratulate yourself too much over my 'modern genome' comment you should remember that I was responding to a post where you raised the impossibility of tamimly assembling human DNA. You introduced the modern DNA into the discussion, numpty.

And to the odds calculation question that you roundly ignored while producing the distraction of insults, hoping that no-one would notice.

Consider a 30 amino acid long peptide string potentially capable of replicating. There are 20^30 combinations, which is about 10^39. Given a weak peptide concentration of one milli-molar, and 10^21 kg of water in the oceans, then you will get about 10^62 peptides of that length per second, or ten thousand trillion self replicating peptides per second. The thing about having oceans full of amino acids is that you can get through trillions of possible combinations simultaneously. Self replicating combinations are almost inevitable with enough water.

(Could you reply without quite so much random insult and name calling please? It is rather off putting for what should be a grown up discussion. Thanks)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Just for the record, biological evolution is defined as "change in allele frequency in a population over time."

A very clear and testable definition.

I think the issue is, many people confuse evolution with common descent. Evolution is a directly observed process. Common descent is a consequence of evolution.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Okay, then let me ask you this. Did you initially question evolution from a genuine scientific perspective or because it couldn't add up with your faith? I'm asking that because from many a creationist viewpoint, the biblical creation account has to be read literal verbatim and as such automatically has to preclude any science that contradicts an earth older than circa ten thousand years.
I brought it up because I happened along that video showing what happens inside living cells. I have not made a theological argument.

However, the bible is either true or it is not. If one accepts it as true then anything that would constitute an inherent contradiction to the truth is false. Not every truth claim has to be independently verified on it's own merits. If someone claims that the sky is normally a splotchy orange color with patches of burgundy and emerald green, I don't have to go outside to check. Likewise, if the God I serve tells me that He created the universe and that He did so in six days and then you come along and tell me something contrary to that, who am I to believe, you or God? What you want is for people to question the very existence of the God they love and the entire life paradigm which surrounds that worldview purely on the basis of your claim to the contrary. And when they aren't willing to do so, you cry foul as though they should just know intuitively and without cause that, of course, you couldn't possibly be wrong or be making any attempt to deceive them.

Well, in total I've been here for over eleven years so it's not like I just signed up a fortnight ago...;)
I don't expect there to be many times where people are persuaded to change their mind or be open to possibilities outside of their belief system but it does happen and it often depends just how entrenched people happen to be in those positions. I've seen people change on here over time by way of and it's not like I haven't felt inclined to question certain things myself where a challenging debate has occurred.
Right, of course. But the point is that you are here to be convinced of anything, that isn't the reason you do this, nor does it need to be.

Well, what was it debunking exactly? G C Thomas has rebutted you on this.
no he hasn't. He has barely engaged the topic at all. Him calling them cranks, doesn't count as a rebuttal. What it counts as is his inability to articulate an intelligent argument against, if he's so damn smart, ought to be an easy thing to accomplish. I've presented more cojant arguments against the electric universe model than he has on that thread and I'm the one who's supposed to be arguing the affirmative side! gcthomas is a complete waste of time. I've taken him off of ignore for the last time.

Well, if that's the parameters for evidence then you've failed to refute the established scientific model whatsoever.
I've made no effort to do so! Good grief! Doesn't anyone understand how debate is supposed to work? That thread is making an affirmative case FOR the electric universe model, not a negative case against something else. I understand that there is some overlap between those two things but I don't have to debunk one theory in order to argue in favor of another. There is no rule anywhere that even suggests that such a thing is required. Not in debate circles nor in scientific circles.

You assert that evolution is impossible. The scientific community disagrees. Why not present your evidence to a journal and see what happens?
That has been done (not by me).
Also, it isn't a mere assertion and the argument wasn't my idea.

PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS SUPPORTING INTELLIGENT DESIGN

See, this is where you need to be intellectually honest yourself. If evolution could be so easily disproved then it would have untangled already.
This is not true. There are people that believe all kinds of incorrect things. The average person thinks that we would float off the planet if the Earth stopped spinning. There are people who believe the Earth is flat and the the Illuminati are real. There are television shows on nearly every single day featuring people who believe in poltergeists and ancient aliens.

You are effectively making an argument from popularity. "Millions of scientists could all be wrong!" Well, yes they can be and regularly are.

Unless you believe there's a world wide conspiracy to suppress the truth for some reason, then the information presented on your video would be available widespread and the theory would go up in smoke if the evidence passed muster.
Did you watch the video?

Do you understand what YouTube is and just how many people have access to the internet? How much more widespread availability do you think is possible? Something like 650,000 people have watched that video with no advertising or outside promotion of any sort. And that's just one of several videos showing similar computer animations of things are are not in dispute within scientific circles.

And there doesn't have to be a conspiracy. The power of paradigm (I'm gonna write a book with that title one of these days) is all that is needed. Most of these people are not liars. They really "see" this evidence all over the place. They have, however, invested their lives into their paradigm and don't dare question it. It never occurs to them to question it. They see what they see even though it isn't what they think it is. They see it for the same reason (psychologically speaking) that people in Holland saw a month's pay worth of value in a single tulip bulb during the early 17th century. They see it because they want to see it and because they think their peers see it and they like to be liked and respected by those peers.

Scientific theories are constantly under review and scrutiny and there's a reason why evolution is globally accepted outside of creationists and fringe 'science'.
Yes, there is a reason - just not the one you think it is.

Are you really this incapable of seeing the error in this thinking. Why would someone who shares your paradigm not interpret data the same way you do? On what basis would they question it? The only possible answer is, "From another paradigm." which scientists who have invested their entire lives into an evolutionary paradigm are not going to be willing to do in large numbers. And the ones who do are called instantly called cooks and fringe and cranks and they loose their funding and their tenure and their careers. That is at least the risk they'd be taking.

Your assertions don't mean anything where it comes to science. Nor do mine for that matter but the evidence does.
I have not made bald assertions.

So, you're starting off with the premise that evolution has to be false? Then the onus is on you to show why the global scientific community has things wrong and why you, have it right.
No, it isn't. That's what you want the burden to be but you don't get to decide that.

In fact, that's precisely why I started the thread by having evolutionist present their own explanation for legs in their own words. Once that is accomplished, all that is left to do is to present reality to the audience and let it do my arguing for me. Nothing anyone has said on this thread even comes close to presenting any idea at all as to how the legs on motor proteins COULD possibly evolve or even what the evolved from, never mind how they actually did evolve.

Further, what you suggest is precisely what modern biological science has accomplished. Scientific theories are intended to make affirmative explanations of how things work. If there is data that openly contradicts that explanation then the theory must either be modified or discarded.

Further still, you keep talking about "the global scientific community" as though science is about a popular vote or consensus. It isn't. Science is about the facts of reality, not convincing anyone of anything.

Well, where it comes to science then that's not true. Science works independently from human beliefs, emotions etc.
Yes, it is, AB. EVERYONE is entrenched. The quicker you figure that out, the better off you'll be. If you think that any human endeavor can be divorced from emotional and psychological and political considerations then you re living in fantasy land.

If the data doesn't hold up then the theory is discarded or modified depending.
Bull!

I understand that this is the way it's supposed to work but people with rose colored glasses on see pink everywhere.

In essence, science is neutral.
Science is, but it's the scientists that are the problem. They are all humans with these pesky emotions and ambition and lusts for power, fame, influence and respect.

You or I may have strong opinions on certain matters but that matters squat where it comes to actual science.
I have made no arguments that are based on opinion.

logic isn't dependent on belief and that's you trying to shoehorn an opinion that you can't actually substantiate with the thing you claim to value so much - sound reason.
In actual fact, logic happens to be dependent on belief but that's a philosophical discussion for another thread. I'll take you to have meant that logic isn't about beliefs and opinions, a point with which I agree. If I'm wrong then make the argument, I have.

FTR I'm not an atheist, not that it would matter on that score regardless.
I don't know who FTR is. I give anyone arguing for evolution the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are atheists until given good reason to think otherwise but, as you say, it's really irrelevant. Theists are just as capable of making errors as anyone else.

If it flies as well as you believe it does then why hasn't it gone viral as the debunking of evolution? Why is it even allowed to still remain in the public domain if the evidence is so compelling and scientists would prefer it 'covered up'?
The power of paradigm. Those who believe in evolution will watch that video and see evidence for evolution just like the speaker suggests at the beginning of the video. It isn't my fault that they are delusional (i.e. see things that aren't there and/or fail to see things that are.) But it also isn't invalid for me to point out the deluded state.

If you're really as concerned with intellectual honesty then some alarm bells should be ringing for you now Clete.
As if I'm to establish my intellectual honesty on the basis of everyone else's.

As before, if evolution could be so easily disproved then logic dictates it would have happened long before this thread (and a myriad others) even began.
As before, the power of paradigm is almost universally underestimated. Although you seem to underestimate it to the point of juvenile naiveté. What panacea have you discovered where every who carries the title of "scientist" is pure as the wind driven snow.

You need to do some reading on ad populum arguments. They are irrational precisely because whole groups of otherwise well meaning people can be, and often are, wrong.

Good post, by the way.

Clete

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Clete would be better served by going to his local college/university and tracking down a biologist. My guess is however, he has neither the intellectual curiosity nor courage to do that. Plus it would mean he would have to leave the house.

Arthur Brain

I brought it up because I happened along that video showing what happens inside living cells. I have not made a theological argument.

However, the bible is either true or it is not. If one accepts it as true then anything that would constitute an inherent contradiction to the truth is false. Not every truth claim has to be independently verified on it's own merits. If someone claims that the sky is normally a splotchy orange color with patches of burgundy and emerald green, I don't have to go outside to check. Likewise, if the God I serve tells me that He created the universe and that He did so in six days and then you come along and tell me something contrary to that, who am I to believe, you or God? What you want is for people to question the very existence of the God they love and the entire life paradigm which surrounds that worldview purely on the basis of your claim to the contrary. And when they aren't willing to do so, you cry foul as though they should just know intuitively and without cause that, of course, you couldn't possibly be wrong or be making any attempt to deceive them.

Right, so effectively you're arguing this from a "creationist" perspective then. That being that the earth was created in six literal twenty four hour days as we know them now. So, inevitably you will dismiss anything that contradicts your faith in a literal reading of the creation account, science or otherwise, correct? However, what you must surely acknowledge is that theological thought on the original texts allow plenty of room for allegory and poetical narrative where it comes to Genesis. You might not agree with it but plenty of Christians find no cognitive dissonance with an old earth/evolution and belief as evidenced on here. I'm not 'wanting' people to question the existence of God whatsoever here in light of that.

Right, of course. But the point is that you are here to be convinced of anything, that isn't the reason you do this, nor does it need to be.

Sure, but if someone posts something that gives pause for thought then great.

no he hasn't. He has barely engaged the topic at all. Him calling them cranks, doesn't count as a rebuttal. What it counts as is his inability to articulate an intelligent argument against, if he's so damn smart, ought to be an easy thing to accomplish. I've presented more cojant arguments against the electric universe model than he has on that thread and I'm the one who's supposed to be arguing the affirmative side! gcthomas is a complete waste of time. I've taken him off of ignore for the last time.

Well, that's up to you of course.

I've made no effort to do so! Good grief! Doesn't anyone understand how debate is supposed to work? That thread is making an affirmative case FOR the electric universe model, not a negative case against something else. I understand that there is some overlap between those two things but I don't have to debunk one theory in order to argue in favor of another. There is no rule anywhere that even suggests that such a thing is required. Not in debate circles nor in scientific circles.

My point there was in regards to evolution, not electric universe theory.

That has been done (not by me).
Also, it isn't a mere assertion and the argument wasn't my idea.

PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS SUPPORTING INTELLIGENT DESIGN

Well, that's taken from a conservative Christian website so there's already a bias in play no? Look, if you start off with a concrete notion that the age of the earth and the universe has to be no older than 'X' amount of years then it's inevitable that any theory that doesn't comply with that belief has to be discarded yes? However, that's not how science works and given that scientific theory is constantly under test, review, due process etc it's not like evolution could hold up if it were in fact a load of absolute bunk.

This is not true. There are people that believe all kinds of incorrect things. The average person thinks that we would float off the planet if the Earth stopped spinning. There are people who believe the Earth is flat and the the Illuminati are real. There are television shows on nearly every single day featuring people who believe in poltergeists and ancient aliens.

Sure, I won't deny it but science has a habit of rooting out erroneous theories that don't pass muster due to continual peer review process.

You are effectively making an argument from popularity. "Millions of scientists could all be wrong!" Well, yes they can be and regularly are.

Well, no, I'm not and who are you to say that global scientific consensus is 'wrong' when you're effectively arguing from a position of religious faith, a particular one that renders a reading of creation as uncompromisingly literal? That's your entrenchment right there. From a logical, objective and rational perspective it makes far more sense to acknowledge that the reason evolution is accepted as fact across the board is because of the evidence. Otherwise, what? There's some sort of conspiracy going on to hide the real age of the universe etc?

Did you watch the video?

Do you understand what YouTube is and just how many people have access to the internet? How much more widespread availability do you think is possible? Something like 650,000 people have watched that video with no advertising or outside promotion of any sort. And that's just one of several videos showing similar computer animations of things are are not in dispute within scientific circles.

Yes, and there's plenty others that make similar claims or that there's proof that boogeymen live under the Vatican etc. It's just not evidence. If there were irrefutable proof that evolution was bunk it would be uncovered as that's how the process works. Look, even if there were those that were desperate to keep to such a theory the peer review process would root it out as it's ongoing and subject to ongoing testing across the board. You'd have to be one heck of a conspiracy theorist to think that could happen.

And there doesn't have to be a conspiracy. The power of paradigm (I'm gonna write a book with that title one of these days) is all that is needed. Most of these people are not liars. They really "see" this evidence all over the place. They have, however, invested their lives into their paradigm and don't dare question it. It never occurs to them to question it. They see what they see even though it isn't what they think it is. They see it for the same reason (psychologically speaking) that people in Holland saw a month's pay worth of value in a single tulip bulb during the early 17th century. They see it because they want to see it and because they think their peers see it and they like to be liked and respected by those peers.

You have your own paradigm Clete and you won't entertain anything that contradicts it yourself, no matter how much evidence is presented. You have a belief that precludes anything that possibly could. See how this works both ways?

Yes, there is a reason - just not the one you think it is.

Are you really this incapable of seeing the error in this thinking. Why would someone who shares your paradigm not interpret data the same way you do? On what basis would they question it? The only possible answer is, "From another paradigm." which scientists who have invested their entire lives into an evolutionary paradigm are not going to be willing to do in large numbers. And the ones who do are called instantly called cooks and fringe and cranks and they loose their funding and their tenure and their careers. That is at least the risk they'd be taking.

How do you suppose the theory came into being in the first place? Because of the evidence. That's how science works. From a 'creationist' perspective you have your own paradigm that's pretty much set in stone and works the opposite of science.

I have not made bald assertions.

Um, yeah, you kinda have...you've pretty much declared evolution is impossible.

No, it isn't. That's what you want the burden to be but you don't get to decide that.

Then neither do you.

In fact, that's precisely why I started the thread by having evolutionist present their own explanation for legs in their own words. Once that is accomplished, all that is left to do is to present reality to the audience and let it do my arguing for me. Nothing anyone has said on this thread even comes close to presenting any idea at all as to how the legs on motor proteins COULD possibly evolve or even what the evolved from, never mind how they actually did evolve.

Well, yes they did, Barbarian for one but no matter what you were presented with you'd have dismissed it anyway. Look, if evolution could be proven to be false then I'd welcome it from an objective perspective but so far all you really have is an objection to it based on your literal reading of the creation account.

Further, what you suggest is precisely what modern biological science has accomplished. Scientific theories are intended to make affirmative explanations of how things work. If there is data that openly contradicts that explanation then the theory must either be modified or discarded.

Sure, and if there's falsity it gets dumped or amended accordingly.

Further still, you keep talking about "the global scientific community" as though science is about a popular vote or consensus. It isn't. Science is about the facts of reality, not convincing anyone of anything.

Well, no to the former and yes to the latter. That is the scientific community.

Yes, it is, AB. EVERYONE is entrenched. The quicker you figure that out, the better off you'll be. If you think that any human endeavor can be divorced from emotional and psychological and political considerations then you re living in fantasy land.

Which is where peer review process comes in and across the board. 'Dr Egghead' from Siberia may be personally convinced he's found a cure for measles in vegemite. Unless he has verifiable findings and tests that corroborate that theory then Dr Egghead's passions, beliefs etc mean precisely bugger all.

Bull!

I understand that this is the way it's supposed to work but people with rose colored glasses on see pink everywhere.

No, it isn't and as above.

Science is, but it's the scientists that are the problem. They are all humans with these pesky emotions and ambition and lusts for power, fame, influence and respect.

Which again, is where peer review process comes in. I think you seriously underestimate just how stringent that is.

I have made no arguments that are based on opinion.

Sure you have, in the above no less.

In actual fact, logic happens to be dependent on belief but that's a philosophical discussion for another thread. I'll take you to have meant that logic isn't about beliefs and opinions, a point with which I agree. If I'm wrong then make the argument, I have.

Well, no it isn't. That's just assertion on your part and one I'll wager you can't substantiate outside of subjective opinion. Else define "logic".

I don't know who FTR is. I give anyone arguing for evolution the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are atheists until given good reason to think otherwise but, as you say, it's really irrelevant. Theists are just as capable of making errors as anyone else.

'FTR' stands for 'for the record'. That you assume people to be atheists for accepting evolution is not entirely unexpected but it's rather assumptive given how many Christians have no issue with it.

The power of paradigm. Those who believe in evolution will watch that video and see evidence for evolution just like the speaker suggests at the beginning of the video. It isn't my fault that they are delusional (i.e. see things that aren't there and/or fail to see things that are.) But it also isn't invalid for me to point out the deluded state.

The power indeed, your own is staring right back at you. ;)

As if I'm to establish my intellectual honesty on the basis of everyone else's.

You should if you're going to call theirs into question.

As before, the power of paradigm is almost universally underestimated. Although you seem to underestimate it to the point of juvenile naiveté. What panacea have you discovered where every who carries the title of "scientist" is pure as the wind driven snow.

Oh, I don't, I recognize it in those who's parameters won't allow them to see such in themselves even...

You need to do some reading on ad populum arguments. They are irrational precisely because whole groups of otherwise well meaning people can be, and often are, wrong.

Good post, by the way.

Well, if it were merely an argument appealing to popularity then you'd be correct, but it isn't. An understanding of how scientific review process works ironically precludes it.

Still, a civil conversation (I hope)

:e4e:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I read your post too fast and looked right over this!

This is PRECISELY the sort of thing I'm look for.

What data?

I don't need detailed specifics just in general, what do you mean by "genetic, anatomical and fossil data" and what does it tells us about where legs come from?

I read some of this when first posted. Sort of a trick question.

What God created with legs, has legs.

All the speculation about fish climbing up on land and the growing legs is a lot of hooey!

It is all a rebellious alternative explanation to exclude God. Stupid really.

6days

Clete said:
I agree that we are degenerating as any system does but I think that the mutations are no so deleterious as you suggest. Not that they are good but merely that they aren't as bad as some have suggested. There are mutations that occur that do, or at least may, not have any effect at all. We have to remember that there is a whole lot more about how DNA works that we don't know than what we do know. It is at least conceptually possible that an acceptable error rate was designed into the system. We know that there is a direct error correction mechanism that exists in the actual replication process but that doesn't mean that there aren't other mechanisms that are there to overcome at least some of the errors that make it past that process. One possibility, just to give an example, is that much of our DNA may not have useful information in it. The useful information may be hidden inside a mass of data allowing for what is, in effect, a safety in numbers sort of strategy similar to a sardine swimming in a school full of millions of other sardine as a means of protection against the Swordfish.
Undoutably we will continue to marvel as new layers of sophistication is discovered in the genome.

Re. how bad the genetic load is, it's bad enough that there are many secular articles that try to understand how it is humanity has survived if common ancestry is true. Ex....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9950425/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9237985/

or, Kondrashov wrote an article in Theoretical Biology titled ' Contamination of the Genome by Very Slightly Deleterious Mutations: Why Have We Not Died 100 Times Over'

Oh... and I think it was geneticist Crow who referred to the high mutation rate as ' THE human time bomb with a long fuse.

Clete said:
but the point is that the 150 errors (to use your number) that occur don't necessarily translate to 150 bad things that happen.
The rate may be higher than 150 But I get your point. However, the only way you can determine if there was absolutely zero effect, was to know that the nucleotide effected was totally useless... and even then it still might cause harm. Geneticists graph mutation rates in humans and the graphs usually show most of the mutations piling up at near neutral... none that are totally neutral, (and in the zone where selection can't detect them) and none on the beneficial side. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16592684/

Clete said:
That is clearly not an accurate number. (each successive generation, has about a 1% loss of fitness. The race would be extinct in a hundred generations.
No...Theoretically You would never reach 0% fitness, but in any case... Genetist J.F.Crow in PNAS article linked above says "The decrease in viability from mutation accumulaion is some 1-2% per generation"

Arthur Brain

I read some of this when first posted. Sort of a trick question.

What God created with legs, has legs.

All the speculation about fish climbing up on land and the growing legs is a lot of hooey!

Why would science do that and to what purpose?

:AMR:

The only people with an agenda on this are those who's faith can't encapsulate anything outside of biblical literalism and those using similar means to push atheism or whatever. Science cares nothing either way.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

The fossil record clearly shows gradual evolution of legs. But fish didn't climb up on land and grow legs. Legs on fish existed long before vertebrates were able to walk on land.

6days

Science doesn't imagine fish growing legs. Evolutionists do that.
The only people with an agenda on this are those who's faith can't encapsulate anything outside of biblical literalism and those using similar means to push atheism or whatever. Science cares nothing either way.
You are correct in that science cares nothing about peoples beliefs about the past. You and I have different beliefs... We both have our own biases. Just because someone puts on a white lab coat, they don't magically become a blank slate. Evidence is interpreted through a persons world view / biases / training/ etc.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The rate may be higher than 150 But I get your point. However, the only way you can determine if there was absolutely zero effect, was to know that the nucleotide effected was totally useless... and even then it still might cause harm. Geneticists graph mutation rates in humans and the graphs usually show most of the mutations piling up at near neutral... none that are totally neutral, (and in the zone where selection can't detect them) and none on the beneficial side. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16592684/

You've been misled about that. There are numerous examples of useful mutations. Would you like to learn about some of them?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

:AMR:

I think science cares like it has its own need to survive. Not natural.

What makes me have less faith in science is it's limitations; one has to wonder why there is no working sleeping pill that puts one to sleep for so many hours, say seven or eight hours without addictive side effects, or other dangerous effects?

Why can't science make some drug or serum where I stay warm as much as an average person. Friday, I went out in 50 degree weather and spent most of my time in a store and now I have been with a bad cold all weekend, why is that, why can;t science make a serum that would make me warmer?

I do not have much faith in science because it moves so slow on what people really need.

Where things move fast is technology, but all those new gadgets do not really make life better, it just makes it so people can relate without ever seeing anyone in person.

If I go down to Florida it is only to get out of winter; there I will have to make all new social friends over again. Staying here the people I know think my sudden withdrawal is some kind of rejection.

Now if medical doctors did some tests on me and proved conclusively, I had rare monkey genes, where warm weather like in the equatorial jungle was my natural environment, I might think there was some meaning in evolution, but no one has any monkey, tropical genes.

Here is a question: do monkeys live in paradise, do any monkeys ever sin. If no, then some people might have been better off being monkeys?

Is it normal for people to take in cats and have their claws removed by surgery and castrate them and let them do their business in a box? How is that right, has anyone asked a cat if they like it? Do cats go to heaven, or do they live in paradise until people take them out of paradise? Is paradise just being unaware of good and evil and death? Maybe Adam and Eve eating the pomagrant, I do not remember the Hebrew word for it, but it was no apple, did eating that fruit make them aware of good and evil and their punishment is loss of innocence and also knowing death is inevitable, not really escaping it, but being aware life always ends in death, was that the fall of man? Theology goes far beyond what most people believe it is. Maybe we are the great adversity when we hate our knowledge? You don't look into these questions studying science.

Where is my keep warm pill, and my stay asleep pill? So much for science.

Last edited: