eBay prohibits textbooks for homeschool teachers

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51702

"As you may know, eBay does not permit items that are illegal, dangerous, offensive, or potentially infringing. Additionally, eBay has just recently made the decision to prohibit the sale of Teacher's Editions of textbooks and solutions manuals that are intended solely for use by teachers. Since eBay strives to be a level-playing field, all Teacher's Edition textbooks, manuals and guides will be covered under this policy. Unfortunately, home schooling Teacher's Editions are not exempt from this policy and this policy will apply to all grade levels."

That is their new policy on selling teachers' editions of textbooks. Of course, I quoted it from WND. But, I checked out the link to where it says that on eBay.

Because of this new policy, eBay has lost a customer.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
ebenz47037 said:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51702

That is their new policy on selling teachers' editions of textbooks. Of course, I quoted it from WND. But, I checked out the link to where it says that on eBay.

Because of this new policy, eBay has lost a customer.
I think the title was a little misleading. They are prohibiting the sale of all teachers editions. The title made it seem like they were singling out homeschoolers.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
I think the title was a little misleading. They are prohibiting the sale of all teachers editions. The title made it seem like they were singling out homeschoolers.

Well, I got the link (and the title) from a homeschooling loop I'm on. :doh: What do you expect? :chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
kmoney said:
I don't think its misleading. After all, public school teachers don't buy teachers editions on eBay so guess who this rule is aimed at???

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight said:
I don't think its misleading. After all, public school teachers don't buy teachers editions on eBay so guess who this rule is aimed at???

Besides, the quote from the public school teacher is quite telling:

A public school teacher defended the policy, saying she cannot get a teacher's edition from a publisher unless she provides proof of her teaching employment. "It is quite costly for publishers to research and develop curricula and it is copyrighted."

Since when do public school teachers have to buy teacher's editions? They get them from the school they are employed at. The proof of her teaching employment has to be made to her employer. :darwinsm:

Dr. Hfuhruhurr

BANNED
Banned
ebenz47037 said:
Since when do public school teachers have to buy teacher's editions?

Knight said:

And Others

Obviously quite a few people are oblivious to the reason behind eBay's decision. It was implemented to prevent students--students in all learning venues--from obtaining books that contain answers only printed in teacher editions. eBay has no idea if a buyer is a bona fide teacher, home school or not, and they probably have no desire to go to the trouble to find out. If a parent wants to home school their little darlings then they best prepare to pay the price of obtaining their teacher materials through normal channels. They may whine--as they are certainly doing--but a far greater good is served by keeping these books out of the hands of students.

Of course the home schoolers and religious wingnuts have chosen to cast ebay's decision as one directed solely at them--says a lot about these people doesn't it. "Woe is poor me......er... never mind the other guy. Woe is poor abused me." WingNut Daily even does so with its headline in spite of recognizing the all encompassing nature of the decision. "The policy, which is inclusive of all teachers' texts . . . ." source

Dr. Hfuhruhurr

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
Yeah... students just rush out to buy those $80 teacher editions on eBay for their history class.

And you think $80 is a lot to pay to pass a class, that is if a bid ever did go that high? Boy are you living in the dark ages. The fact is, student purchases is exactly why eBay made its decision, whether you believe it or not.

Mustard Seed

Dr. Hfuhruhurr said:
And Others

Obviously quite a few people are oblivious to the reason behind eBay's decision. It was implemented to prevent students--students in all learning venues--from obtaining books that contain answers only printed in teacher editions. eBay has no idea if a buyer is a bona fide teacher, home school or not, and they probably have no desire to go to the trouble to find out. If a parent wants to home school their little darlings then they best prepare to pay the price of obtaining their teacher materials through normal channels. They may whine--as they are certainly doing--but a far greater good is served by keeping these books out of the hands of students.

Of course the home schoolers and religious wingnuts have chosen to cast ebay's decision as one directed solely at them--says a lot about these people doesn't it. "Woe is poor me......er... never mind the other guy. Woe is poor abused me." WingNut Daily even does so with its headline in spite of recognizing the all encompassing nature of the decision. "The policy, which is inclusive of all teachers' texts . . . ." source

This is alot of bunk. If there were copyright issues or issues beyond raw financial gain and job/career security etc. then the companies providing these materials would do such on a lend agreement in which every individual allowed a copy of the book to use would be required to sign a legal document and the company would maintain the right, under any breach of contract, to demand the copy of the book. This has nothing to do with protecting the material, it's copyright, and the claim to keep teachers editions out of the hands of students is a convenient means to shroud the primary aim of this policy. If these books can be sold by school districts or disposed of by the school districts with no contractual obligations to the publisher than the only one that stands to benefit is those who advocate public education to the degree of trying to supress the likes of homeschooling. I'm sure it wasn't untill some big wigs in public education realized that the disposal of teachers editions in education was, through means like the internet, posing a serious risk to the overall nigh-monopolistic status
enjoyed by the public education industrial complex that prompted them to apply presure to those avenues that were most dangerous to their nigh monopolisitic hold on the text-book industry. This way would clearly be preferable to requesting the text-book industry to pull the copyright card, cause then all that legalistic mumbo-jumbo and added cost and loss of control must be enacted so that the copyright argument will have a leg to stand on. Or on the other end they didn't want to tick off directly those who were selling the text books, especially since common sense seems to bare out that such individuals would be those from within their own rank and file. So applying presure to the likes of the largest online trading entity, on with nigh monopolistic capacity, to act as the 'bad cop' in this 'good cop bad cop' scenario. Big education gets to secure their ties to text book companies without complications, text book companies are happy to oblige, especially those ones with massive contracts with large public education entities across the nation, and then a substantive segment of your up and coming industry competition is put at a significant disadvantage as you've placed them, in the minds of the naive public, in the sad camp with those unscrupulous students, and it seems they never even have to address directly those who would be willing to sell such items in the past to those bad bad students who do little worse than what many an poorly educated teacher does with the teacher's edition, use it as a crutch and a source for busy work.

Which I suppose gets me to the topic of why aren't these hometeachers either getting into the entreprenuerial aspect of this or even going 'open source' in creating material. Do to the public education attempts at styfling you what so many in the computer world have done to the oppresive measures of innovation stiffeling oligopolies via a wholesale turn to the more altruistic 'open source' material.

I've seen enough mediocrity and inanity in everything from elementary to some college text books to know that, especially on the low end, it wouldn't take too much to out do in real substance and potentially(with today's editing software, graphic software and some talent and know how) even in presentation and market viability, the reams of mediocrity that are pushed out through so much of the school text book industries texts. Such also seems more condusive to a one on one customized education experience, what seems to potentially be a key advantage of the likes of homeschooling vs pulic or even some private ed.

Mustard Seed

Dr. Hfuhruhurr said:
And you think $80 is a lot to pay to pass a class, that is if a bid ever did go that high? Boy are you living in the dark ages. The fact is, student purchases is exactly why eBay made its decision, whether you believe it or not.

I'm certain such exchanges occured in significant volumes. The answer would be to incist that a school's publisher keep far tighter reigns on their intellectual property. That would mean that the schools would have to relinquish many of their current freedoms and leaniencies they enjoy. The fact that schools themselves are quite possibly the single largest entity that infringes on intellectual property makes the whole intellectual property issue even more funny. Again it's a good cover story. I tend to think, however, that it would be rather easy, if such was desired, to overcome such things in terms of children accessing chear sheets. First off more competent and commited teachers would either more actively monitor their students work and/or they would be able to find some lasting solution to this problem. But I've known too many circumstances in which things are ignored, circumvented, or what have you. If a student is willing to lay down a couple jacksons to try and pass a class e-bay halting sales of teachers editions isn't going to stop most of those students, and those it does stop are likely not going to do much in life anyway, I mean if you can't even cheat successfully, if you're so incompetent that the avoidance of competency exercises is beyond your grasp then you're not shapping up too well to survive any kind of real economy.

This is like the banning of the sales of things like permenant markers etc. to young men in certain ranges to fight grafiti. What you're doing is simply applying a bandaid to a festering wound. More than anything it simply ticks off and punishes the law abiding individuals and those bent on evading the system find yet another way to do such.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Delmar said:
Does this include curriculums designed for home schoolers?
It just says "teacher's editions," as far as I could see, without designating whether the curricula was designed for home schoolers or not. I would guess the answer for that is yes, since they had quotes from people who have, in the past, sold their used curricula on eBay. :)

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Yeah... students just rush out to buy those $80 teacher editions on eBay for their history class. :rolleyes:
Umm, yeah, a lot of students do. $80 is a small price to pay. Dr. H is right about this one.

Outlaw

Dr. Hfuhruhurr said:

In order for that to be true, then the books being sold would of had to have been books used by the public and private school sectors.

If that were the case (which it is not) then all eBay would of had to do is only allow those companies that publish homeshool editions.

We searched all the teachers editions on a regular basis and never ever saw one that was publshed for public school curriculum.

I have been selling on ebay full time for 7 years, and you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

fool

Hall of Fame
Why does the teacher need a book with the answers?
Don't they know the answers?
What's the big deal if a student has a book with the answers?
They still have to pass the test, better they have the right answers memorized insted of the wrong ones.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
fool said:
They still have to pass the test, better they have the right answers memorized insted of the wrong ones.
:chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
fool said:
That's a good point as well.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't order the teacher's editions except for science anyway. But, I can't see where it would be a good idea for eBay to disallow them. Usually, by the time someone wants to get rid of their curriculum, it's outdated (a new edition has come out). At least, that's the way it is with the curriculum that I buy.

Dr. Hfuhruhurr

BANNED
Banned
Mustard Seed said:
This is alot of bunk . . . .
There sure are a lota words in what you say. Unfortunately, they don't amount to much, at least those parts I could understand. Rambling prose isn't my forte. Perhaps your second response will clear things up

I'm certain such exchanges occured in significant volumes. . . . .
Hopes dashed.

Anyway...... as I understand the process, school districts sell their used texts, teacher copies included, to redistributers, who then peddle them to others, primarily other countries. So, it isn't the schools or the school districts that are to blame, but private businesses. Also, there are businesses who buy publisher remainders, and sell them at prices lower than that of the new editions.

Evidently sometimes not. If you get a chance, look at a teachers edition, particularly an English grammar, or a math text. The answers and/or examples usually appear in red.