Dumocracy rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Some in CR favor a constitutional monarchy, definitely--I've heard others refer to it as a "benign dictatorship."

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by granite1010
"benign dictatorship"
Two words that have no business being together...

Such a dictator remains "benign" for about five minutes...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
I'd concur with Gerald because I believe that history shows that dictatorships (or monarchies) seldom stay benign for long once they seize the reins of power.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

It's a cheap shot, I'll admit that. I've met Dr. North several times.
I envy you. I've never met Dr. North. Where did you meet him? At seminars and/or debates? I'd like to pick his brain in person sometime. Was he accessable or did he not have time for any of the unwashed masses?

He's certainly not a fanatic;
I agree but you'll have a hard time convincing any nonchristian (and most Christians) of that.

his observations of early American history and the state of the American church are sharp and insightful;
Agreed. Have you read his book, "Political Polytheism?" I'm not much of a history buff but I couldn't put that 700 page book down. I'm also amazed at how often he has to delete appendixes to his books because they turn into complete books themselves. People hearing about this assume he must be unnecessarily wordy but he's not that at all. In fact, I find him to be often quite laconic. It's just that he has this incredible wealth of knowledge.

I've tried to get Enyart to glean some ideas from Dr. North but to no avail. I know Bob is very busy with projects of his own but by ignoring Dr. North's writtings he is really missing out.

and in regards to eschatology he's quite good at decapitating dispensationalists.
I saw the debate he had with Ice and House but those 2 were not mid Acts dispensationalists. I'd like to see North debate someone like Enyart or Bob Hill on eschatology. That would be a great show!

Bottom line, I agree with him that this society clearly needs some fine tuning. It's portions of his solution--public stoning, anyone?--that I question. As he is fond of saying, you can't beat something with nothing. But it's the "something" he proposes that scares the hell out of critics of CR (and some of his own associates).
Why do you question public stoning? Why should the family of the murder victim shell out their tax money to feed and cloth the murderer of their beloved family member in our prison system?

Granite

Hall of Fame
"I've never met Dr. North. Where did you meet him? At seminars and/or debates? I'd like to pick his brain in person sometime. Was he accessable or did he not have time for any of the unwashed masses?"

I met him at the church I (used to) attend in New Hampshire. He's there at least once a year, just to visit or for a seminar or meeting of some kind.

I own/have read many of his books. "Polytheism" is simply outstanding.

As far as I'm concerned, dispensationalism in any form is much dead, and DeMar, North, Chilton--RIP--and others buried that poor pup a long time ago. You don't even need to agree with the preterism of most within CR; their critique of dispensationalism stands alone as a death blow to pre-mil eschatology.

"Why do you question public stoning? Why should the family of the murder victim shell out their tax money to feed and cloth the murderer of their beloved family member in our prison system?"

You seem to assume that because I don't favor the public bludgeoning-by-mob execution of malefactors that I oppose the death penalty. Not true. I oppose STONING. Quite frankly, we have enough examples of stoning's potential abuse within the gospels to scare me away. The Pharisees were reaching for boulders every chance they had. It's an undisciplined, unregulated, potentially abusive system of capital punishment.

Go the New Hampshire way: injection, or the scaffold. Pick your poison, as it were.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
The problem I have with North is when he spouts off stuff like this:
"The question eventually must be raised: Is it a criminal offense to take the name of the Lord in vain? When people curse their parents, it unquestionably is a capital crime (Ex. 21:17). The son or daughter is under the lawful jurisdiction of the family. The integrity of the family must be maintained by the threat of death. Clearly, cursing God (blasphemy) is a comparable crime, and is therefore a capital crime (Lev. 24:16)."

[Gary North, The Sinai Strategy: Economics and the Ten Commandments (Tyler, TX: Institute for Christian Economics, 1986), pp. 59-60]

Sorry, but I can't abide killing people for bad-mouthing God. If God takes offense, let him kill the offender. Personally.

Granite

Hall of Fame
While I think many theonomists could make a case for blasphemy being a capital crime, I don't think many of them contemplate the implications. How exactly would this be enforced? Would you have to have the blasphemy on tape, video, or would you rely on an accuser's word? Would we rely on verbal blasphemy or written heresy?

Making "blasphemy" a capital offense opens the proverbial can of worms and smacks of thought crime. And on that note, see Mr. Lewis's thoughts below...

Zakath

Resident Atheist

While I think many theonomists could make a case for blasphemy being a capital crime, I don't think many of them contemplate the implications. How exactly would this be enforced? Would you have to have the blasphemy on tape, video, or would you rely on an accuser's word? Would we rely on verbal blasphemy or written heresy?

Making "blasphemy" a capital offense opens the proverbial can of worms and smacks of thought crime. And on that note, see Mr. Lewis's thoughts below...
If it were a true theonomy, the way I've seen Jefferson and other posters here present the concept, then the witness of two believers is sufficient to condemn anyone to death... since we all know that believers never lie, only their diety does that...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Would we rely on verbal blasphemy or written heresy?
To say nothing of defining what constitutes a blasphemous statement.

For example, is the statement "The is insufficient evidence supporting the existence of the Christian God" a blasphemous one?

Ask twelve people to define blasphemy and you'll get twelve different answers...

Granite

Hall of Fame
If we're defining blasphemy by CR's standards--admittedly tough ones--there will be no shortage of rock throwing parties.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
If we're defining blasphemy by CR's standards--admittedly tough ones--there will be no shortage of rock throwing parties.
Expound, please.

I've never really been able to find any concise criteria.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Please do, granite1010. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that since you attend a church that teaches along CR lines...

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gerald

Expound, please.

I've never really been able to find any concise criteria.

Rushdoony wrote this in his third volume of Institutes of Biblical Law: "To deny the foundation of the law can be worse than breaking it at some point. Blasphemy can involve this same offense. The essence of such apostasy is a revolution against the law order....Which is worse, to break specific laws, or to deny the whole of the law?"

North has more to say on the topic but I don't have time now...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
This is kind of dancing around the question... how do the CR groups, yours in particular, define the term "blasphemy"?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
It should be noted that "dancing around the question" is par for the course for CR groups.

They can't give any specific examples of blasphemy, because that would be...er...blasphemous.

:chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Zakath

This is kind of dancing around the question... how do the CR groups, yours in particular, define the term "blasphemy"?

First, a couple of things. I no longer attend my CR congregation and do not consider myself a Christian Reconstructionist any longer. As far as my theology goes, I consider myself "reformed," that is, the post-mil Calvinistic tradition, and that's about where my theological similarities with CR end. I do not, in other words, advocate public stoning (not that I ever did).

As far as my former church goes, the definition of blasphemy was simply never discussed. (Maybe not surprisingly; I mean, how often do you hear sermons defining blasphemy?) Based on what Rushdoony says, however, "blasphemy," in his definition, seems to involve a willful undercutting of the law word of scripture. Sutton, in That You May Prosper, gave an example from the 17th century--some rabble rouser publishing a statement spitting on Christ, the cross, referring to Mary as a whore, etc. That, in Sutton's mind, defines "blasphemy": a profane, vile, and uncouth attack against religious symbols and characters.

Whether or not this is a capital offense is another matter, in my opinion...

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

We ran the numbers a couple of years ago and posted them here on TOL. Enyart's silly re-organization would actually add a significant number of federal employees.
I remember running those numbers with you, and although the numbers are greater due to an increase in part-time workers, the costs are lower because the vast majority are not paid.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

A definition is not required because there is no law against it.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Yorzhik

I remember running those numbers with you, and although the numbers are greater due to an increase in part-time workers, the costs are lower because the vast majority are not paid.
Do you recall, which costs were lower than what? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.