Due Process is a Sham

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Also, Sod was wrong when he said it forces one side to argue against truth. The truth is being determined so when a case is presented it's the process toward that, not an argument against it. The presumption is innocence. The burden beyond a reasonable doubt. The jobs of the lawyers to present the evidence and challenges on it for the determination of a trier of fact.

And no defense attorney may knowingly allow or instruct a client or witness to advance a lie. If he or she does that they're subject to prosecution and disbarment.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
To a large extent. You know the witnesses and evidence. You don't necessarily know how the defense will address the prosecution's narrative until they do. There's an element of the unexpected in everything, even testimony, which is why you have cross and redirect, etc.

Fair enough. It doesn't seriously take away from the point that I was making, but again, fair enough point. :idunno:

Yes, it's an over simplification. The defense does a number of things. It may simply refute the evidence provided, or challenge the veracity of it, the manner of its collection, the chain of possession, ect. (largely procedural checks of real importance relative to rights). It may move on the insufficiency for a directed verdict, it may do all that and supply an alternate reading/narrative of the evidence in route to defeating the prosecutorial narrative relative to the standard for conviction. And I'm doing this off the top of my head, so I've likely left a couple of things out.

You're giving me a number of premises. The defense is arguing x, y, and z. Great. So what? What conclusion is the defense trying to draw? You're just pushing the question back.

Because they serve as reasoned checks and balances against a greater likelihood of error in enforcing law. Consider, the charges begin with the police then reach a prosecutor and even a grand jury before making their way to indictment and then trial. All along that course is the potential for willful or accidental misconduct and error.

Then by your own admission, there's probably less likelihood of error if we cut out all the middle men and make sure that the cops are as likely do it properly in the first place as possible.

All along that course the rights of the accused are at stake.

Two points:

1. If the accused is accused, then he's probably guilty. That's the overwhelming probability. :idunno:

2. You say that as though this complex adversarial system is necessary to protect the rights of the accused, and this cannot be accomplished in other ways. I simply disagree with this. If you want an image of what this would look like, then I point you to the early Judge Dredd comics.

Would you want the doctor who performed your operation acting as the judge of whether the medical complications that arose from your surgery were the result of malpractice?

Of course you wouldn't. And you don't want the same people who charged you to determine the outcome of the charge.

Disanalogous! You are presupposing that the doctor has made a mistake. Of course, presupposing a mistake has been made, it makes no sense to entrust the evaluation of that mistake to the very person who made it. We may generalize this.

Nonetheless, the aim of the doctor is health, and it is not unfitting to entrust the very same doctor who made the diagnosis also to prescribe the cure, and even perhaps to enact it (perhaps, for example, by means of a medical or surgical procedure).

Likewise in the case of the interrogation, investigation, arrest, sentencing and punishment of lawbreakers.

Note that nothing of what I say precludes the possibility of outside evaluation in the event that the arresting, judging and sentencing officer(s) (let us call them "judges") go astray or make mistakes (though, given the appropriate education and training, this would prove extremely unlikely...even without what I would consider the ideal education and training (which we find detailed in the Judge Dredd comics), it's still extremely unlikely; again, watch any episode of Cops).

So we have an adversarial system. One side presents the prosecution and we have a second lawyer singularly dedicated to making sure the rights of the accused are protected and that the prosecutor meets his obligations before the law.

Does this system make sense in the evaluation of any other kind of evidence? Mathematical? Biological? Medical?

No, but I've watched the movies on it.

The first Judge Dredd movie has the looks, but doesn't really live up to the comics. Judge Dredd never takes off his helmet (even when he actually is falsely accused, arrested and sentenced to 20 years on Titan in the Day the Law Died saga...the comics, at least the early comics, have no interest in Judge Dredd the guy...we're only interested in him insofar as he is the Law), and he most certainly doesn't have a love interest (all of the judges are celibate; in this respect, at least, I consider Mr. Wagner to have had even greater insight than the great Plato himself).

The second Judge Dredd movie (Dredd 3D) didn't really have the looks, but they pretty much had the character down. That said, the film is much gorier than the comics. Mega-city 1 usually doesn't exact the death penalty. Even the murder of a street judge, for example, or multiple homicide, in the comics, generally only cares a maximum sentence of life in the isocubes (not to say that this is a mark against the movie or in favor of the comics).

The more concentrated the power in any system the more likely an unjust outcome and corruption.

This is an unproven axiom which is dogmatically asserted in democratic regimes. I find no reason to hold that this is true without qualification.

Ours works. And it works in the overwhelming majority of cases. That's why 98% of cases never make trial and of those that do and are subsequently appealed most remain in the verdict rendered.

Ok. And what about the guilty people who don't get convicted or get lighter sentences than they deserve? You say the system works because it's pretty much only guilty in prison. Fine. I say that it doesn't work: too many guilty people who get arrested either never face trial, or else, face lesser charges, or else, take plea deals and serve much less time than they deserve (if they even deserve to live at all, for that matter).

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Essentially he is saying that everyone who is arrested should be tried by the arresting cop (thereby almost guaranteeing guilt)

This is correct. Unless, of course, a complex investigation is required and the guilt of the accused is not immediately evident (i.e., the arresting officer failed to catch the accused committing the crime red-handed). Then a trial (and here, I am just thinking aloud) by an assembly of investigators (perhaps even from different districts) may be necessary.

which is just asinine in the extreme.

You say this, but what's your evidence? How often do cops make wrongful arrests? Again, you cannot cite the number of "not-guilty" verdicts against me. "Not guilty" doesn't actually mean "he didn't do it."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...You're giving me a number of premises. The defense is arguing x, y, and z. Great. So what? What conclusion is the defense trying to draw? You're just pushing the question back.
No, I'm providing anyone reading with a wider exposure to the obligations and considerations that are part of the process.

Then by your own admission, there's probably less likelihood of error if we cut out all the middle men and make sure that the cops are as likely do it properly in the first place as possible.
Only if you aren't paying any sort of attention to what I'm actually saying. No, before you even get to the greater chance of corruption and irreversible error brought on by a lack of checks and balances you'd have the problem of finding men who were capable of the most rigorous application of a couple of disciplines to even attempt it. Any way you look at it a bad and impractical notion.

Two points:

1. If the accused is accused, then he's probably guilty. That's the overwhelming probability. :idunno:
In our system, yes. And that yes has a great deal to do with our system.

2. You say that as though this complex adversarial system is necessary to protect the rights of the accused, and this cannot be accomplished in other ways.
Cannot with any assurance of equaling the success we have getting it right and protecting the rights of the innocent. Right. This system is the result a generations of fine tuning and thoughtful consideration.

It isn't a comic book notion of justice or its execution.

Disanalogous! You are presupposing that the doctor has made a mistake.
And we know, absolutely know that even understanding their work will be reviewed and challenged police not infrequently make mistakes. Many of them serious. We know, absolutely know that even understanding their work will be subject to review and disciplinary action that not infrequently they will abuse the limited powers they're granted. Now consider the likelihood of outcome where those powers are exponentially greater and checks removed.

Nonetheless, the aim of the doctor is health, and it is not unfitting to entrust the very same doctor who made the diagnosis also to prescribe the cure, and even perhaps to enact it (perhaps, for example, by means of a medical or surgical procedure).
All your impractical notion manages is to exponentially raise the likelihood of irreversible error and denial of right. You don't make it more likely that any other outcome will occur. So why in God's name would anyone desire it?

And that's the largest failing. You increase the chance of corruption and mistakes that can't be undone and you don't demonstrably do a better job of coming to just conclusions that aid society. A hard thing to do given the success rate of our actual system, as I discussed earlier.

Does this system make sense in the evaluation of any other kind of evidence? Mathematical? Biological? Medical?
Anything that bears on the matter can be brought into consideration. Familiarize yourself before you romanticize the impractical and undesirable.

This is an unproven axiom which is dogmatically asserted in democratic regimes. I find no reason to hold that this is true without qualification.
It isn't unproven. History is replete with examples of it, comparisons to the reign of kings and despots attest to it and further limitations within our own system were brought about because of it. Again, familiarize yourself before you romanticize the impractical and undesirable.

Ok. And what about the guilty people who don't get convicted or get lighter sentences than they deserve?
Deserve is subjective and we'd have to get into a couple of discussions, depending on the root and short of indisputable evidence you'll have guilty people go free. Innocent people are wrongfully convicted too, though fewer as we move forward into an age where eye witness testimony is less important than more conclusive forensic evidence. A system with checks and appeals it more likely to find and reverse the error that harms an innocent accused.

You say the system works because it's pretty much only guilty in prison. Fine.
No, I say it works because those convicted are overwhelmingly and demonstrably guilty and because where the system has failed there's a pretty good chance of reversal, again, especially as forensic evidence can be introduced toward that end. We were much more prone to error when we relied on the testimony of people who thought they knew what they saw but didn't.

I say that it doesn't work:
Yes, but you're ignorant. I don't mean that in the insulting way, but in the literal way. You've demonstrated a fair lack of understanding of the thing you're talking about and absent that you can't begin to judge it reasonably. And that's another problem with your comic book notion.

too many guilty people who get arrested either never face trial or else, face lesser charges, or else, take plea deals and serve much less time than they deserve (if they even deserve to live at all, for that matter).
How many, where do you get our data from and who decides that? Take plea deals, what's the average distillation? What happens normally in that process? Is a murderer offered a disturbing the peace? :nono: These are things you should know before you complain about them.

Prosecutorial discretion, which is still subject to a judge's approval, is at the heart of the plea. What's happening in a plea bargain is that someone who either knows he is guilty or believes he is guilty of something but not necessarily to the same extent the prosecution has charged him seeks that lesser charge and consequence and agrees to save the state the time and expense of trying him with a risk of failure, admitting on record a wrong that can be used in subsequent considerations should they occur. It actually ensures the guilty are punished instead of risking a worse outcome that is uncertain and prosecutors are going to keep the reduction within the close neighborhood of the original charge because that's the nature of their job.

fzappa13

Prosecutorial discretion, which is still subject to a judge's approval, is at the heart of the plea. What's happening in a plea bargain is that someone who either knows he is guilty or believes he is guilty of something but not necessarily to the same extent the prosecution has charged him seeks that lesser charge and consequence and agrees to save the state the time and expense of trying him with a risk of failure, admitting on record a wrong that can be used in subsequent considerations should they occur. It actually ensures the guilty are punished instead of risking a worse outcome that is uncertain and prosecutors are going to keep the reduction within the close neighborhood of the original charge because that's the nature of their job.

Unless the plea is "No Contest" ... at least here in Texas.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Unless the plea is "No Contest" ... at least here in Texas.
Nolo contendere pleas are limited to a handful of states and federal court on criminal counts. The typical plea bargain means pleading to the charges with specificity as an admission of actual guilt. And nolo's are completely at the discretion of the prosecutor and bench. So as a rarer exception, sure. As the larger rule, not so much. But thanks for the nudge on the point. It's worth making.

Tinark

You say this, but what's your evidence? How often do cops make wrongful arrests? Again, you cannot cite the number of "not-guilty" verdicts against me. "Not guilty" doesn't actually mean "he didn't do it."

Have you never heard of a thing called bias and conflict of interest in human affairs? We do _not_ want a biased party making determinations of guilt, let alone determinations of the sentence.

A law enforcement officer would almost _never_ admit to making any mistakes or be able to analyze their own investigation in an unbiased manner.

What you are proposing is a massive miscarriage of justice.

One key advantage of an adversarial system is is to mitigate the effects of bias, both the law enforcement side and the defendant, by letting a neutral third party hear both sides (whether that party be a judge or a jury) and then make a determination based on that. It also allows all available facts surrounding the situation to come to light after _careful_ analysis. It forces the state to be careful in its gathering of evidence and to conduct a _thorough_ investigation. This is not only to minimize mistakes and reduce the odds of wrongfully convicting someone, but also to prevent abuse of state power by letting those in power convict someone for political reasons on the flimsiest of evidence.

Just take a look at what is going on in some of the more repressive countries where opposition politicians are routinely arrested on the flimsiest of charges, purely for political reasons. And you want to then add to their power by giving them the ability to try and convict someone? What you are proposing is the wet dream of authoritarians and totalitarians.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
The United States has a higher percent of its people in prison than China, North Korea, Iran, Russia, and Saudi Arabia (it's the highest in the world), and Traditio worries about too many guilty people going free. Good one, you almost had me fooled there for a minute :up:

blame texas and california :idunno:
T0P1GSq.png