Does Romans 7:1-3 affirm different rules for women and men regarding adultery?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
God counts our seeking of intercession through others as "[a]dultery"...
The punishment for adultery is death (Lev. 20:10–12). It excludes one from God's kingdom (1 Cor. 6:9, 10) and ends in hell (Prov. 7:27; Rev. 21:8).

Spiritual adultery is: described graphically (Ezek. 16), symbolized in Hosea’s marriage (Hos. 1:1–3) and figurative of friendship with the world (James 4:4). Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 22). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

...[T]hat person has to open their heart to Jesus and receive his word...
The adulterer can repent and be forgiven (2 Sam. 12:7–14).
...[Y]ou have the freewill to overcome the hardness of your heart...
If it's your heart's desire is to please God and walk in holiness, he knows. If it's your heart's desire to please yourself and walk according to the flesh, he knows that, too.
If you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live (Ro 8:13).

...[T]o receive the message of the gospel, most people don't...
It's difficult to come back from a backslidden state. There comes a time (Ge 6:3) when God gives you over to your own depraved mind (Ro 1:28).

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
I quote you exactly. :peach:

Fair,

But On # 82, I didn't site those verses.

It's in my quote from your post, but it's altered.

And you never questioned my Utah reference.

Serpy,

Are you living it up with 40 spouses in UTAH? [emoji12][emoji85]

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

Flaminggg

BANNED
Banned
(Commentary in Parenthesis)

MICAH 7:5 Trust ye not in a friend, put ye not confidence in a guide: keep the doors of thy mouth from her that lieth in thy bosom.
MICAH 7:6 For the son dishonoureth the father, the daughter riseth up against her mother, the daughter in law against her mother in law; a man's enemies [are] the men of his own house.
MICAH 7:7 Therefore I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me.

God wants us to overcome the hardness of our heart in the "Hearing of his Word" that is achieved through the New Testament message of Jesus, that completes our understanding of righteousness (Hearing) in the old testament and the new testament ... ... ... ... We are commanded to not only give our Heart to Jesus, but also our Person, that is why we cannot serve our Person to Sin, and we cannot serve our Person to the Church ... ... ... ... God has put his Wrath in the Church to add to our trial of faith, so that the Blessing Jesus intends to give is clear cut. (During the Events of Revelation, when Jesus reveals his Body, it is a Tong for the Church, the Second Commandment to Love your Person as the Church, is temporarily reinstated as the Work that Jesus counts for Faith at that time, to solicit the nations in seeking his mercy by the sacrifice of Genetic Dan ... ... ... ... before said time the Church is in Contention with God, that is God's intention to reveal the Sin in our Person that exists as apart of the rejection of the Body of Jesus) With that Said:

Jesus is the Son, that has Dishonored the Father with Adultery (Because inorder for us to receive the testimony of Jesus, we have to wrestle with our stoney heart that does not seek the completion Jesus brings as the completion of our "Hearing of the Word" (understanding of the written word that exemplifies Jesus in both testaments, overcoming God's Wrath that has completed the First Testament without Jesus's Completion)

Daughter is Joseph, that riseth up against her Mother the Church .......... When God began to complete the New Testament he brought Joseph into view, to illustrate the fact that God was no longer writing the Gospel's Law to serve as a reproof. The Fallen Angels of Joseph (Jesus is the Head of Joseph his Father), do not write the gospel they just state it (so to help the faithful, accept the testimony of Jesus to over come our stony heart in preparation for the payment Jesus affords through "Joseph the Blessings), when they do this, they convict many and especially the Church of performing the Work of Adding to or Removing the Gospel's Message of Jesus. This casts out their sin, in various evils from the Church and State, so that God's Second Commandment Modification of, "Love Your Person as the Church, which became Love Your Person with no Respect to the Church", serves as an additional reproof to guide our walk of faith, leading to the completion of the Gospel (howbeit, the events of revelation are a blessing for the church).

Daughter in Law against her Mother in Law ... ... ... ... God is talking about the serious divide between the Elect and Believers that exists between the Church and State over the Testimony of Joseph God uses since the New Testament Began, and this is especially apparent when God sends Joseph to Testify of Jesus.

Man's Enemies are the Men of his House ... ... ... ... God is talking about the Events of Revelation as the declaration of his mercy. When God reveals the "Tong" (throws back the Second Commandment to its previous state) which is the "Sign of Divorce" or Lord's Body revealed to the Nations, then the Church/State is called Man to claim its place alongside the Elect/Believers that are called of Joseph's Testimony, God removes the enmity in order to complete the discernment of his mercy.

(inces*, rap*, murde*, and the various forms of cruelty, God uses euthanasia to answer these people with that enforce these policies with me, are simply the dead remnants of performing a work, and the leftovers of the divide of the church and state from the elect and the believers ... ... ... ... it not only means nothing, but it serves as a reminder of the euthanasia you must perform to those races of peoples and possibly more when God removes the pleasure of sin in said capacities to solicit the repentance of the church and state with the blood sacrifice of Genetic Dan and possibly more ... ... ... ... God will raise the Manchild as the Head of the Church to remove this divide as revelation states, possibly within about a week from now, we must keep watch) (the suffering and pain Gospel that is more prevalent now, God will answer at the appointed time to rebuff this position, you won't receive anything more than "Suicide by Antichrist" at this level, so it is your choice to pursue this issue or not, we don't have long left until the next level anyway)

Last edited:

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
I quote you exactly. :peach:

I have nothing to say about your Utah reference. :idunno: They're freak polygamists :peach: :peach: :peach: there (Ex 20:14).

That is all well.

I digress for now.

[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Just about.

Now let's free verse it a bit.

David becomes anointed.

Two things occur that are specific and build forward.

1) David becomes Saul's comfort.

2) Israel is afraid of the champion of the Philistines.

Might I ask you to briefly expound on these matters from your perspective, and simultaneously link these events to Christ in your own words?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Polygamy was acceptable for the simple reason that marriage was not defined as 'one man and one woman'. It was simply 'man and woman'.
As well, marriage was seen far more for it's practical necessity than for it's covenant of love. It was something mostly of the wealthy or powerful to ensure a large and continuing legacy.

The presumption or bias of 'polygamy' being immoral is right out of nothing, really. Polygamy is neither wicked nor holy, which is why it is neither dismissed or defended in the scriptures.

The apostles simply recommend a holy alternative, which is to have one spouse.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives? For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him. So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

Is it true that Paul could not have said this about men? We know that polygyny was common in the OT but I'm not aware of any cases of polyandry.

Context?
What is Paul attempting to say here?
Nothing to do about New Testament Law concerning marriage at all.

He is using the Mosaic Law to illustrate the binding covenant of marriage and using the wife of Jehovah motif to teach that the Law has died and that he is no longer in bond to the covenant between Jehovah and Israel, and that Israel is free to be married to another.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Context?

He is using the Mosaic Law to illustrate the binding covenant of marriage and using the wife of Jehovah motif to teach that the Law has died and that he is no longer in bond to the covenant between Jehovah and Israel, and that Israel is free to be married to another.

This is money on!

What's got two thumbs, and is getting a friend request?

Hold em up intojoy.

Sonnet

spray_emoticon_by_juliatoffy-d79if3a.gif
When the bible discusses what occurred in history, it isn't a ringing endorsement of it. :dizzy:

"Deut 21:15–17 has two wives. In the original, the words are rendered “has had two wives,” referring to events that have already taken place, evidently intimating that one wife is dead and another has taken her place. Moses, then, is not legislating on a polygamous case where a man has two wives at the same time, but on that of a man who has married twice in succession. The man may prefer the second wife and be exhorted by her to give his inheritance to one of her sons. The issue involves the principle of the inheritance of the firstborn (the right of primogenitor). The firstborn son of the man, whether from the favorite wife or not, was to receive the double portion of the inheritance. The father did not have the authority to transfer this right to another son. This did not apply to sons of a concubine (Gen. 21:9–13) or in cases of misconduct (Gen. 49:3, 4)." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 126). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

Interesting - thanks.

If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.

If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master’s, and he shall go out by himself.

And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:

Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever [Exod. 21:3–6].

"This remarkable law states that if a man is a slave, after seven years he can go free. If he was married when he became a slave, he can take his wife with him. If he married while a slave, that is, if he married a woman who was already a slave of his master, at the end of seven years he could go free, but his wife would still belong to the master. He could, however, if he loved his wife and master, decide to stay on his own free will. If he decides to stay, his master is to bore his earlobe through with an awl signifying that he will serve his master forever.

This is a beautiful picture of the Lord Jesus Christ. He came to this earth and took upon Himself our humanity. And we were all slaves of sin. He could have gone out free. He could have returned to heaven, to His position in the Godhead, without going through the doorway of death. He did not have to die upon the Cross. But He willingly came down to earth and took upon Himself our humanity. “And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross” (Phil. 2:8)

Psalm 40:6–8 goes on to say, “Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required. Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.” This passage refers to Christ, because Hebrews 10:5–9 tells us that it does. It was fulfilled when our Lord came to this earth. “Wherefore when he cometh into the world [speaking of Christ], he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me [it was not only his ear that was “digged,” or bored through with an awl, but God gave Him a body which He will have throughout eternity]: In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me) to do thy will, O God. Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.” Christ was “made like unto His brethren.” He chose not to go out free without us. He could have left this earth without dying, but He said, “I love My Bride. I love the sinner.” So He became obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross so that He could redeem us from the slavery of sin. What a picture this is of Christ—placed right here after the giving of the Ten Commandments." McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Law (Exodus 19–40) (electronic ed., Vol. 5, pp. 34–36). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Also interesting. Ta.

1 Kings 15:5
For David had done what was right in the eyes of the Lord and had not failed to keep any of the Lord’s commands all the days of his life—except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.

Why is David not rebuked for his polygamy prior to his adultery with Bathsheba? Why is his polygamy never described as adultery?

Why is Solomon's polygamy never described as adultery? And why is it that he is rebuked for being led astray for having foreign wives - but not for having wives per se. See 1 Kings 11ff.

Sonnet

Now let's free verse it a bit.

David becomes anointed.

Two things occur that are specific and build forward.

1) David becomes Saul's comfort.

2) Israel is afraid of the champion of the Philistines.

Might I ask you to briefly expound on these matters from your perspective, and simultaneously link these events to Christ in your own words?

I'm struggling to do so...

2) Israel felt oppressed by the Romans and expected the Messiah would deliver them from such.

Sonnet

Polygamy was acceptable for the simple reason that marriage was not defined as 'one man and one woman'. It was simply 'man and woman'.
As well, marriage was seen far more for it's practical necessity than for it's covenant of love. It was something mostly of the wealthy or powerful to ensure a large and continuing legacy.

The presumption or bias of 'polygamy' being immoral is right out of nothing, really. Polygamy is neither wicked nor holy, which is why it is neither dismissed or defended in the scriptures.

The apostles simply recommend a holy alternative, which is to have one spouse.

Romans 7:1ff says otherwise.

Where does your view leave the 7th commandment?

Sonnet

Context?

Indeed, but it still reveals a fact regarding the definition of adultery and polygamy which is the focus of this thread.