Do you want prostitution legalized?

PureX

It is not abuse. It is a choice between two consenting adults.
In almost every case, it's abuse. Consent doesn't erase abuse. Nor does it justify it. People all over the world consent to be abused every day, just to survive.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
In almost every case, it's abuse. Consent doesn't erase abuse. Nor does it justify it. People all over the world consent to be abused every day, just to survive.

it's different when an adult chooses to "be abused" for money. if it was legal and regulated -

Quetzal

I think you are exaggerating because it doesn't sit well with you, morally. If that is the case, that is all you need to say. No need to guise it as something else.

Either way, I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it.

Quetzal

Who gave men the right to pass laws restricting the income of women?
Interesting perspective. Could you elaborate a bit? Do you think this is really about the morality of it or does gender roles and money play a bigger role?

PureX

it's different when an adult chooses to "be abused" for money. if it was legal and regulated -
It's still abuse, for money. And consent does not mitigate the fact that people would not do it if they REALLY had a choice.

People 'consent' to work in sweatshops all over the world. That doesn't mean they want to abuse their own bodies for money. And it doesn't mean their bodies are not being abused just because they get paid.

Prostitution is no different. It's still the sexual abuse of people's bodies and souls for money. And just because people consent to it doesn't mean they want to, or that it's not still abuse.

Money doesn't eliminate slavery. Nor does it justify it. Hopefully, someday, this country will come to understand this, and we will finally recognize the difference between commerce and exploitation. Right now, we do not. And that's why legalizing prostitution would be a big step in the wrong direction for this country.

PureX

I think you are exaggerating because it doesn't sit well with you, morally. If that is the case, that is all you need to say. No need to guise it as something else.

Either way, I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it.
My moral proclivities are not based on whim, they're based on reason. And I am trying to explain my reasoning so that you can't dismiss them as a personal whim.

I also understand and respect the ideal of personal freedom, including the freedom to be self-destructive. But we don't have the freedom to be socially destructive. And I believe prostitution is not just personally destructive, I believe it's also socially destructive. And I have been explaining why I believe that.

I'm not a religious conservative. I believe gay marriage should be legalized. As well as multiple marriage. Because I do not see them as being individually nor socially destructive. While I do see prostitution as being both.

Quetzal

My moral proclivities are not based on whim, they're based on reason. And I am trying to explain my reasoning so that you can't dismiss them as a personal whim.

I also understand and respect the ideal of personal freedom, including the freedom to be self-destructive. But we don't have the freedom to be socially destructive. And I believe prostitution is not just personally destructive, I believe it's also socially destructive. And I have been explaining why I believe that.

I'm not a religious conservative. I believe gay marriage should be legalized. As well as multiple marriage. Because I do not see them as being individually nor socially destructive. While I do see prostitution as being both.
I suppose that is our difference in opinion. In countries where prostitution is legal, I have not noticed any sort of social decomposition. Their lives go on as they always have.

TrakeM

No, why legalize immorality? It's encouraging it.
You know, the muslims feel exactly the same way. The argument you just gave is exactly the same as their argument for sharia law. I have the same response to you as I have for them. You wouldn't want others enforcing their religion on you. Just because you believe it's wrong isn't reason enough for a law just like the muslims believing bacon is wrong isn't reason enough for a law. That's why we require rational reasons for laws, not a belief in the supernatural.

I'm indifferent to whether prostitution is made legal or not, but let's base the decision on logic, reason and compassion, not a belief in magical powers.

Quetzal

It's still abuse, for money. And consent does not mitigate the fact that people would not do it if they REALLY had a choice.
Sure they could, why wouldn't they? Maybe they genuinely enjoy the work. Just because you don't understand why doesn't mean it isn't possible.

PureX

Sure they could, why wouldn't they? Maybe they genuinely enjoy the work. Just because you don't understand why doesn't mean it isn't possible.
How many prostitutes do you really think "enjoy the work"? And what's to enjoy? Letting people you don't know, and wouldn't choose, use your body for their own sexual gratification?

If I sexually abuse a child, and the child likes it, because he/she doesn't know any better. Is it no longer sexual abuse? How about if I pay them, afterward?

Consent doesn't mitigate sexual abuse. Money doesn't mitigate sexual abuse, adulthood doesn't necessarily mitigate sexual abuse, and neither does "liking it".

TrakeM

Exploitation, violence and domination of women happens outside of prostitution ... the latter two, even in marriage and relationships.

The difference is that legally regulating something would give more protection to those who actually *need* the protection. Minors.
This is true. How many single mothers stay with an abusive (often even physically so) man because it's impossible for her to provide for her child otherwise?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Who gave men the right to pass laws restricting the income of women?

Encouraging human trafficking (Ex. 34:15, 16, Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10). :BRAVO: Do you use that same argument for abortion? You cannot have an opinion :freak: about our murdering children if you don't have a womb. :sibbie: Pr 8:36

Quetzal

How many prostitutes do you really think "enjoy the work"? And what's to enjoy? Letting people you don't know, and wouldn't choose, use your body for their own sexual gratification?

If I sexually abuse a child, and the child likes it, because he/she doesn't know any better. Is it no longer sexual abuse? How about if I pay them, afterward?

Consent doesn't mitigate sexual abuse. Money doesn't mitigate sexual abuse, adulthood doesn't necessarily mitigate sexual abuse, and neither does "liking it".
Really, PureX? Are you comparing prostitution to child molestation? You know they aren't the same thing, I thought better of you. These women offer a service to a client for a fee, by their own choice. They don't have to do anything and if they want to stop they are able to do so. Just like any other profession.