Democrat Andrew Cuomo: America Was "Never That Great"

rexlunae

I generally think it's unhealthy that Americans seem to feel a need to tell themselves how great they are, and that tendency deserves some criticism. But a comment like this from a high-level elected politician is basically political malpractice.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Democrat Andrew Cuomo: America Was "Never That Great"

Cuomo should have spent more time explaining the context of his comment - the kind of "Make America Great Again" to which Trump is referring was a time where wealthy white American males held all the levers of power - everyone else was a 2nd class citizen on the outside looking in!

Its common for politicians to redirect the public's attention to glorified versions of the past and/or future using "rose colored glasses" - the problem is that we are all living in the present, forced to confront life's "real world" problems!

Jerry Shugart

I generally think it's unhealthy that Americans seem to feel a need to tell themselves how great they are, and that tendency deserves some criticism.

Did you never read the history of the Second World War and the Marshall Plan, when the USA came to the rescue and defeated Hitler and Japan, and then donated billions of dollars in economic assistance to help rebuild Western European economies after the war?

Of course some Americans aren't proud of the great things which the USA did in that regard, like Michelle Obama, who told us that she had never been proud of her country until her husband was nominated for the presidency.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Did you never read the history of the Second World War and the Marshall Plan, when the USA came to the rescue and defeated Hitler and Japan, and then donated billions of dollars in economic assistance to help rebuild Western European economies after the war?

Of course some Americans aren't proud of the great things which the USA did in that regard, like Michelle Obama, who told us that she had never been proud of her country until her husband was nominated for the presidency.

nothing to be proud of here:

A1We8eMHqbhQEeCNUJ8H7dIhpoACzzpH8h32fsiwJlQ.png

yes, that's $30 billion, in 2016

rexlunae

That was my grandparents generation. And it's not like they did it because of their generosity. They were attacked.

I've never seen any reason to think you were proud of this country.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That was my grandparents generation. And it's not like they did it because of their generosity. They were attacked.

they donated billions of dollars to rebuild europe and japan because they were attacked? :freak:

rexlunae

they donated billions of dollars to rebuild europe and japan because they were attacked? :freak:

As with most foreign aide, we didn't do that simply because if the humanitarian need, but also because of the strategic need to build up Europe to buttress the advance of the largest army in Europe, the Soviet Red Army.

And a good thing came of it. But, again, that was generations ago.