Debating, 12th grade...

JoyfulRook

Originally posted by Christine

Greywolf, I must admitt, I wonder how old you are. I remember in another thread when the two of us were debating, you said you were raised Lutheran. If you were still at home (as I would expect you to be if your in the 10th grade) why did you use the past tense of raise? :confused:
Ahh, but you forget, in Publik Skool you can be 23 and in 10th grade, :chuckle:

ShadowMaid

Just to let you all know, there can be more then one debate going at one time. So if one of you want to talk about something, you can start it here.

Greywolf

And I believe homeschooling is the best form. However, it sounds like both of us might be a little biased, neither having ever had any other form of education. :)

It's very possible. :think:

Does it matter if the teachers are more experienced and more knowledgeable than, say the child's parents?

I think that it would certaintly improve the child's education.

I have to do that on TOL as well.

That is true. But consider how many posters on TOL and other religion debate sites are homeschoolers. I'd imagine (I can't say for sure) that you, Shadowmaid, Elaine, and Dread Helm represent a minority of homeschoolers (and people, at that) who deliberately go somewhere for the purpose (or at least in part) of engage with people who you may not necessarily like or get along with. Most kids seem to follow the old "birds of a feather" adage.

Also, I'm sure a part-time job could also do that, though

That is true.

I really doubt most people need help with social skills.

I figure that the greatest contribution to the development of one's social skills is socializing. Granted, homeschoolers aren't necessarily unsocial, but public schooling almost forces you to socialize. If I homeschooled, my only contact with the outside world would probably be through the internet. :chuckle:

True. Is that a good thing?

From a Christian standpoint, you already have the truth, so I don't see how it would hurt anything. One might even see it as an opportunity to do some proselytizing. There was a kid who sometimes used to invite me to attend his church's youth group.

From the atheist/agnostic standpoint (or at least from my standpoint) it's a great thing.

Sounds neat. There aren't any Muslims or Buddhists in my area.

If I didn't attend a public school I wouldn't have realized that there were so many minorities in my area.

I've never attended a private school, either. However, I would expect them to be better than public schools, but that may not always be the case.

I'd imagine that there are many good private schools, but I think that many parents use private schools as dumping grounds for "problem children", which doesn't help the quality of the school any.

Well, when God supports one view, it would follow he would not be in favor of it's counterpart. In Deuteronomy 6:7 God commands us to homeschool, "And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thy house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." The only way this verse can be fulfilled is through homeschooling.

I disagree.

Here is the verse in context:
Deuteronomy 6:1-9
Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it: that thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged. Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey. Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: and thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

The "them" in that passage is referring to the Lord's commandments, not the children. Substitute "the Lord's commandments" for "them" in Deuteronomy 6:7 and read it like that. All that that verse is saying is that you should diligently teach your children the Lord's commandments, and homeschooling isn't the only way to do that.

Christine

Originally posted by ShadowMaid

Just to let you all know, there can be more then one debate going at one time. So if one of you want to talk about something, you can start it here.
You might want to start side threads. It could get confusing.

ShadowMaid

You might want to start side threads. It could get confusing.

We could. Or we could all get "un-lazy" and put stuff in the subject boxes. :chuckle:

Christine

Originally posted by Greywolf

I think that it would certaintly improve the child's education.
Do you have proof, or anything?

That is true. But consider how many posters on TOL and other religion debate sites are homeschoolers. I'd imagine (I can't say for sure) that you, Shadowmaid, Elaine, and Dread Helm represent a minority of homeschoolers (and people, at that) who deliberately go somewhere for the purpose (or at least in part) of engage with people who you may not necessarily like or get along with. Most kids seem to follow the old "birds of a feather" adage.
Yes, homeschoolers are a minority on internet forums (though there are forums more for homeschoolers). I know that some homeschoolers try to be "in" but I don't believe the majority of homeschoolers try. I certainly don't try.

figure that the greatest contribution to the development of one's social skills is socializing. Granted, homeschoolers aren't necessarily unsocial, but public schooling almost forces you to socialize. If I homeschooled, my only contact with the outside world would probably be through the internet. :chuckle:
Nonsense. Besides socializing with you and others on-line, I socialize with friends, neighbors, and family. Not to mention other activities. Some homeschoolers take clases at community colleges, volunteer, attend church, play on sport teams, etc. Socialization is not something that I worry if I'm getting enough of.

From a Christian standpoint, you already have the truth, so I don't see how it would hurt anything. One might even see it as an opportunity to do some proselytizing. There was a kid who sometimes used to invite me to attend his church's youth group.
Some Christians school kids are not firmly grounded in the faith. Other faiths and view points could cause them to loose faith.

From the atheist/agnostic standpoint (or at least from my standpoint) it's a great thing.
Really? Why's that?

If I didn't attend a public school I wouldn't have realized that there were so many minorities in my area.
I don't attend school and yet I know that my town has Japanese, Mexicans, and Blacks. How do I know this? I see them when I go shopping in the stores. :)

I'd imagine that there are many good private schools, but I think that many parents use private schools as dumping grounds for "problem children", which doesn't help the quality of the school any.
Unfortunately, I've heard stories of Christian private schools being ruined by "problem children" being sent there.

I disagree.

Here is the verse in context:
Deuteronomy 6:1-9

The "them" in that passage is referring to the Lord's commandments, not the children. Substitute "the Lord's commandments" for "them" in Deuteronomy 6:7 and read it like that. All that that verse is saying is that you should diligently teach your children the Lord's commandments, and homeschooling isn't the only way to do that.
It's pretty hard to dilligently teach your children God's commandments when their at school, you're at work, and the only time you're together is evenings and weekends. In the evenings kids have homework, and on Sunday they would probably attend church. Some families think Sunday is enough spiritual growth for one week. I disagree, two hours of church service compared to five eight-hour days of school? The parents would need more time, which they have when they homeschool.

ShadowMaid

This certainly is interesting. I'm glad Greywolf and Christine decided to debate on this topic. I'm very glad thet they're so far keeping it very friendly. Not yelling in each others faces. Which I would like to point out to future debaters here.

Please keep your posts and replys friendly.:)

Greywolf

Greywolf, are we going to continue?

Sorry about not responding. The school year is finishing up for me, so I've been a bit swamped with work.

As for the debate. I think that it would be a good idea to see what happens with the Battle Royal Jr. It's looking like we may be debating public schooling vs. homeschooling there. If the topic ends up being something else, than I'd love to continue this debate.

Christine

Originally posted by Greywolf

Sorry about not responding. The school year is finishing up for me, so I've been a bit swamped with work.

As for the debate. I think that it would be a good idea to see what happens with the Battle Royal Jr. It's looking like we may be debating public schooling vs. homeschooling there. If the topic ends up being something else, than I'd love to continue this debate.
That's fine with me. :)

Pritykity

Some Christians school kids are not firmly grounded in the faith. Other faiths and view points could cause them to loose faith.

Then they are probably not 'true' believers. At the same time, a friend at school could invite them to their church and maybe then they would believe more. Or it could open them up to other views in the same religion.

ShadowMaid

Originally posted by Pritykity

Then they are probably not 'true' believers. At the same time, a friend at school could invite them to their church and maybe then they would believe more. Or it could open them up to other views in the same religion.

That's a maybe, PrityKity.

Christine

Originally posted by Pritykity

Then they are probably not 'true' believers.
Mortal man has no way of knowing who's saved and who's not. More than likely, their "babes" in Christ.
At the same time, a friend at school could invite them to their church and maybe then they would believe more. Or it could open them up to other views in the same religion.
But none of this would change the fact that their being exposed to secular humanism on a daily basis at school. The humanism is going to have an impact on their faith and life.

Christine

Well, since the Battle Royale Jr. is going to be over Public school vs. Homeschool, what should we debate now?