Cruel Parenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
So far I'm on page 15. It looks like the "battle lines" for this book are being drawn between those who would, "baby-proof the home" and those that would, "home-proof the baby". (pg 5)

As to page 15 I have read nothing that comes even close to "abuse" but rather better ways to parent to avoid being abusive (like screaming at your kids and disciplining in public). I guess it's going to break down to what one lables abuse. I try to keep in mind some feel saying, "No." is abusive as it harms their "psyche"...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Nineveh

So far I'm on page 15. It looks like the "battle lines" for this book are being drawn between those who would, "baby-proof the home" and those that would, "home-proof the baby". (pg 5)
Don't most parents end up somewhere between those two poles?

I know we did and, with a few mishaps, our kids all survived to adulthood (relatively intact, too). :thumb:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: unfair review

Originally posted by frugalmom

How could you conclude that, when I even said: "HA - I can just imagine someone being dumb enough to try this and then have the baby look at you as if it's thinking "What are you talking about?" "
I specified that this was my assumption. I'm not sure why I assumed this. Maybe it was because you used phrases in your post such as "setting up the child for failure".

The book called it newborn training. And it specifically said that newborns would need training.
Yes, it does but if their idea of a "newborn" is one who "bows his back and bellows", before mom can even put him in the crib then it is obvious that this "newborn" is smart enough to try and get his way. If the author hadn't given this example and simply said "newborns need training", it might have bothered me because it kind of leaves things up in the air. But they make it clear when they suggest that a child is "never too young to train" that they are speaking of a child who is trying to maninpulate. In my experience, this might start at around 3 months old give or take. I don't think you can give an across the board age for this kind of training to start since babies start learning at different ages. Bottom line is, this kind of training should start when the baby is smart enough to start manipulating in order to get his way.

Where did I say that??

I visit alot of forums that have to do with parenting. A while back, a new mother was bragging how she was "sleep training" her new baby boy. She apparently thought that parenting is a day job, and would confine her baby all alone to the crib from 6 PM to 6 AM. The poor child must have been scared to death. She did mention that she goes in there once during the 12 hour period to change his diaper. :rolleyes:
This to me, is a little misleading. You do say that you read this on another forum but you kind of stick it in the middle of your critique of this book and it leads one to possibly assume that these authors support this same kind of thing when they make it clear that "crying is newborn's only way of communication in expressing his needs".

The "child" you were referring to was a 5 month old. It is disgusting to use a switch on a 5 month old baby. They even said, that her little brain didn't seem to understand why she was being switched.
Yes, a 5 month old who was smart enough at that age to already have a fascination with stairs. The author states "such was her fascination that she continued to climb, ignoring her spankings. Spankings are supposed to work but it seemed that at her young age, her little brain couldn't maintain the association. So I laid the switch at the bottom step. We later observed her crawl to the stairs and start the ascent, only to hault at the first step and stair at the switch. She backed off and never attempted to climb the stairs even after the switch was removed."

Also, it's clear that this is a personal experience that they had. They're not suggesting starting training at 5 months old. You'll notice that they never give specific ages that training should begin. They only have you note specific examples of a child's actions in certain situations.

They make gates for stairs and that sort of thing.
Yes, they do. I've used them. But I'm not perfect. In fact my "perfection" diminished more and more with each child that came along. What if the mom forgot to put up the gate one day? The only deterance this baby had was the gate so now that the gate is gone, it's almost a sure attraction for the baby. Again, how much would the parents be beating themselves up if she fell and broke her neck from climbing them due to her fancying them so much? They would have wished they would have trained her to not go near them under any circumstances.
I wonder if they used switches on their 5 month old for going near electrical outlets? What about the stove? And toilets? Coffee table corners?
What is wrong with wanting to prevent the baby from being electricuted, burned or drowned? I don't know if I've ever known of a baby who wasn't fascinated with outlets and, given time, will check it out. Are you willing to take the chance that you'll get him the first time he attempts? Are you confident enough that you will always have your eye on him? And, yes, I know they have those little plug ins. Are you also confident enough that they baby will never figure out how to pull them out. Besides, we should want our kids to refrain from things that are bad because they desire to obey us rather than because there is simply an obsticle in the way of them doing that which will harm them.

The book used these examples of setting up babies to fail, in order to "train" them. Did God know we would give in to temptation with the tree? And here I was thinking you were one of the ones against predestination. (sorry if I have you confused with another poster)
I hate to get into this since it is a whole other sticky topic, with plenty of great threads devoted to it but I have to comment.

If God stuck the tree in the garden and predestined (planned their sin, pre-programmed it, etc.) them to eat of the fruit, then that would be a warped God. But he knows man. We know our kids. I didn't have to pre-plan their actions but I knew, the day I brought each one of my precious little ones home from the hospital, that soon enough, they would attempt to get their way. Now we could try everything we possibly can and make a way for them not to give in to those things that will hurt them like putting things out of their reach or putting obsticles in their way, but what does that teach them? Ultimately we should want them to want to obey us and love us enough to do what pleases us. Love is not love unless there is a possibility to "not love". You can't make somebody love you. You want them to choose to do it. My ultimate goal is for my kids to choose to obey me out of their love for me rather than to be made to obey me.

Last edited:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by SOTK
I do certainly believe in spanking. I do it on occasion when appropriate. It can work pretty well. Like any form of discipline, if overused or abused, it will lose its effectiveness. I tend to mix up my disciplining. Keeps them guessing! :D

I think the point of this book is training so one doesn't have to be creative with discipline. They say "no amount of discipline will make up for lack of training" on page 2. If the child knows, No." means, "No." there is no need to go to the lengths I have seen some go to to "reinforce" the understanding of, "No."

It's really sad to see such a valuable tool like "training" be thought of in such a negative light.

Mr Jack

Originally posted by frugalmom Why the heck is Bob Enyart selling this cruel book??? He has it at the KGOV store and it comes with an audio tape by Bob titled "tyrant dad".

Given that Bob was jailed for Child Abuse for one of his attacks on his own children, I find it entirely unsurprising that he's lending his voice to this kind of misguided sadism.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Zakath

Don't most parents end up somewhere between those two poles?

I woudn't bet the house on that.

I know we did and, with a few mishaps, our kids all survived to adulthood (relatively intact, too). :thumb:

I'm glad for you :)

I wish I had this understanding 9 years ago. My daughter is well mannered and well behaved now, but we both could have saved a lot of stress. The problems I see today could have been addressed much sooner and most likely wouldn't have persisted so long.

Zakath

Resident Atheist

I woudn't bet the house on that.
If you're right, that's particularly sad. :(

I'm glad for you :)
Thank you. We tried to adjust our disciplinary style to what worked most effectively for each child, despite the frequent cries of "that's not fair..."

We just offered 'em a little cheese to go with their "whine". :cheers:

I wish I had this understanding 9 years ago. My daughter is well mannered and well behaved now, but we both could have saved a lot of stress. The problems I see today could have been addressed much sooner and most likely wouldn't have persisted so long.
Parenting is one of the toughest jobs to do right, yet one of the easiest to fall into with little or no training...

Sometimes it doesn't seem fair. :chuckle:

the Sibbie

The book called it newborn training. And it specifically said that newborns would need training.
I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but it actually says "A newborn soon needs training." I would think a parent should have enough wisdom to figure out when the baby has a genuine need or whether it just wants to be held 24/7. (I don't think that you should try to completely alienate the child. I'm sure they need some amount of attention. I believe it's possible to find a balance, though.)

The "child" you were referring to was a 5 month old. It is disgusting to use a switch on a 5 month old baby. They even said, that her little brain didn't seem to understand why she was being switched.
But a 5 month old is completely capable of learning, right? Perhaps the child didn't remember the consequences? Once they laid the switch on the bottom step, she stopped climbing the stairs. It seems she wasn't able to associate the stairs with a negative consequence, but by seeing the switch and the stairs she made the connection.

The book used these examples of setting up babies to fail, in order to "train" them. Did God know we would give in to temptation with the tree?
I don't believe that God would be so stupid not to be aware that it was a possibility that Adam and Eve might disobey. But, I'm not sure I totally agree with they way the author uses that scenario. While I wouldn't say that God was using the tree to "train the couple", I think it was used to allow Adam and Eve the option to obey or disobey if they so chose.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Zakath

If you're right, that's particularly sad. :(

Well, you know my perspective is based on my memories of public school and what I see in public today.

I have run into a woman and her 5 children twice while out shopping. What I witnessed both times was as soon as the youngest's foot touched the floor her entire reason for being in that store went to the wayside as she chases and yells at the boy through the aisles. When she finally catches him she says, "Wait till your dad gets home!"

Obviously "dad getting home" isn't doing the trick even well enough for this frazzled woman to merely shop in peace.

Thank you. We tried to adjust our disciplinary style to what worked most effectively for each child, despite the frequent cries of "that's not fair..."

We just offered 'em a little cheese to go with their "whine". :cheers:

At one point in the book talks about a guy who bribes his kid to be good in the grociery store with icecream after. They equate it with a "mob boss" being "bought off" for "protection". I had to laugh because not only have I made the same blunder in the past but see it almost everytime I'm at the grociery.

Parenting is one of the toughest jobs to do right, yet one of the easiest to fall into with little or no training...

And these folks offer, from what I have read so far, valuable ideas on learning to parent better sooner :)

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Re: Re: Re: unfair review

Originally posted by the Sibbie
But, I'm not sure I totally agree with they way the author uses that scenario. While I wouldn't say that God was using the tree to "train the couple", I think it was used to allow Adam and Eve the option to obey or disobey if they so chose.

Sibbie, that's what I was thinking, too. But new ideas sometimes need to settle and be thought out. I'm inclined to dismiss his ideas on this, but I guess I should think more on it before I dismiss it entirely...

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Mr Jack

Given that Bob was jailed for Child Abuse for one of his attacks on his own children, I find it entirely unsurprising that he's lending his voice to this kind of misguided sadism.
I believe it was a step-son. Have you considered the possibility the step-son was probably being defiant and it wasn't worse than any other spanking anyone else on this board has given?

Flipper

Yes, a 5 month old who was smart enough at that age to already have a fascination with stairs. The author states "such was her fascination that she continued to climb, ignoring her spankings. Spankings are supposed to work but it seemed that at her young age, her little brain couldn't maintain the association. So I laid the switch at the bottom step. We later observed her crawl to the stairs and start the ascent, only to hault at the first step and stair at the switch. She backed off and never attempted to climb the stairs even after the switch was removed."

I expect that won't leave psychological scars for life or anything. I wonder how well-adjusted this person's children are?

the Sibbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: unfair review

Re: Re: Re: Re: unfair review

Sibbie, that's what I was thinking, too. But new ideas sometimes need to settle and be thought out. I'm inclined to dismiss his ideas on this, but I guess I should think more on it before I dismiss it entirely...
Right. In general it makes sense, but there are just a few things that I'm not sure about. I'm sure Turbo and I will be discussing this.

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Flipper

I expect that won't leave psychological scars for life or anything. I wonder how well-adjusted this person's children are?
Perhaps they are better off then me when I tumbled down the stairs because my dad forgot to put the gate up. :eek:

Mr Jack

I believe it was a step-son. Have you considered the possibility the step-son was probably being defiant and it wasn't worse than any other spanking anyone else on this board has given?

He was jailed for it. That rather suggests that it was a pretty serious assault. The courts don't tend to throw folks in jail for reasonable chastisement.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mr Jack

He was jailed for it. That rather suggests that it was a pretty serious assault. The courts don't tend to throw folks in jail for reasonable chastisement.
Really? Please tell me where this fairytale world of yours is so that I can live there.

drbrumley

Originally posted by Poly

I specified that this was my assumption. I'm not sure why I assumed this. Maybe it was because you used phrases in your post such as "setting up the child for failure".

Yes, it does but if their idea of a "newborn" is one who "bows his back and bellows", before mom can even put him in the crib then it is obvious that this "newborn" is smart enough to try and get his way. If the author hadn't given this example and simply said "newborns need training", it might have bothered me because it kind of leaves things up in the air. But they make it clear when they suggest that a child is "never too young to train" that they are speaking of a child who is trying to maninpulate. In my experience, this might start at around 3 months old give or take. I don't think you can give an across the board age for this kind of training to start since babies start learning at different ages. Bottom line is, this kind of training should start when the baby is smart enough to start manipulating in order to get his way.

This to me, is a little misleading. You do say that you read this on another forum but you kind of stick it in the middle of your critique of this book and it leads one to possibly assume that these authors support this same kind of thing when they make it clear that "crying is newborn's only way of communication in expressing his needs".

Also, it's clear that this is a personal experience that they had. They're not suggesting starting training at 5 months old. You'll notice that they never give specific ages that training should begin. They only have you note specific examples of a child's actions in certain situations.

Yes, they do. I've used them. But I'm not perfect. In fact my "perfection" diminished more and more with each child that came along. What if the mom forgot to put up the gate one day? The only deterance this baby had was the gate so now that the gate is gone, it's almost a sure attraction for the baby. Again, how much would the parents be beating themselves up if she fell and broke her neck from climbing them due to her fancying them so much? They would have wished they would have trained her to not go near them under any circumstances.

What is wrong with wanting to prevent the baby from being electricuted, burned or drowned? I don't know if I've ever known of a baby who wasn't fascinated with outlets and, given time, will check it out. Are you willing to take the chance that you'll get him the first time he attempts? Are you confident enough that you will always have your eye on him? And, yes, I know they have those little plug ins. Are you also confident enough that they baby will never figure out how to pull them out. Besides, we should want our kids to refrain from things that are bad because they desire to obey us rather than because there is simply an obsticle in the way of them doing that which will harm them.

I hate to get into this since it is a whole other sticky topic, with plenty of great threads devoted to it but I have to comment.

If God stuck the tree in the garden and predestined (planned their sin, pre-programmed it, etc.) them to eat of the fruit, then that would be a warped God. But he knows man. We know our kids. I didn't have to pre-plan their actions but I knew, the day I brought each one of my precious little ones home from the hospital, that soon enough, they would attempt to get their way. Now we could try everything we possibly can and make a way for them not to give in to those things that will hurt them like putting things out of their reach or putting obsticles in their way, but what does that teach them? Ultimately we should want them to want to obey us and love us enough to do what pleases us. Love is not love unless there is a possibility to "not love". You can't make somebody love you. You want them to choose to do it. My ultimate goal is for my kids to choose to obey me out of their love for me rather than to be made to obey me.

Awesome job! If I had a post of the day, this is it.

:thumb:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by the Sibbie

IIRC, at the time of the incident wasn't it his girfriend's son, not his stepson?

He basically used inappropriate physical force on someone else's kid. I don't think anyone would have said two hoots if he had been married to the boy's mother at the time.

Do you? :think:

Flipper

The sibbie:

Perhaps they are better off then me when I tumbled down the stairs because my dad forgot to put the gate up.

Switching a 5 month old because it was, by the author's own admission, unable to understand why it was being spanked?

I doubt very much the 5 month old has the capacity to understand why its parents are hurting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.