creation vs evolution

quip

BANNED
Banned
Hi......
We can't make our minds up about this just yet.
Physicist, Astronomers, Mathematicians etc are mostly in polite contention about how our Universe 'triggered' into being.

And so the only single fact that all can agree upon is that there is a REASON FOR OUR EXISTENCE.
Now you're only one step away from calling that reason 'God'.

There's quite a big leap between 'triggered' and REASON.

Can you justify this leap or are you purposefully bridging the two through preconception?

eider

Sartre or not, it does exist. the universe is enormous, complicated and chaotic. The why it exists may well be unknowable ........

Hang on. You have already said that there does not have to be a reason for existence. True?
In which case there is no point in you wondering about 'why' it exists, because 'why' suggests there is a reason.

Your posts are self contradicting.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Hang on. You have already said that there does not have to be a reason for existence. True?
In which case there is no point in you wondering about 'why' it exists, because 'why' suggests there is a reason.

Your posts are self contradicting.

Equivocation. "why" as a cause to an effect is different then "why" as intention.

eider

Equivocation. "why" as a cause to an effect is different then "why" as intention.

Meh....
Why is simply a question...... seeking an answer.
It's as simple as that.

If Jonah declares that there's no reason for a thing, then he can't later ask somebody to give him a reason for that thing!

It's....... very basic.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Meh....
Why is simply a question...... seeking an answer.
It's as simple as that.
Good...then quit obfuscating the matter.

If Jonah declares that there's no reason for a thing, then he can't later ask somebody to give him a reason for that thing!

It's....... very basic.

He didn't ask for a reason.

Greg Jennings

I understand the theory behind space time in the physics, math model sense. But how do you account for the period of time that passed before the so called "Big Bang"? Time as i said is conceptual to individuals where time is relavent. Its not something thats strictly measurable. So does Science just ignore that 'time period' because its unknown and doesnt fit into their mainstream theory? How can you be so certain of your position when there is no scientific empiricism that can prove it?

There is little certainty when it comes to this. It all highly speculative, because we are going to a "time" that is before the laws of physics were applied.

When it comes to "time" prior to the Big Bang there are multiple theories. They range from the universe coming from nothing, to a parent universe budding ours into existence, to dimensional waves colliding to produce a singularity that expanded into our Big Bang.

We simply don't have that much info to go on. And we might never. We put info that fits in with measurements that we have (from distant starlight we can determine elements and radiating heat of different types) into computer models, and we run them 100,000 times until we have an idea of what SHOULD have happened given what we currently see in the universe around us.

It's not nothing. But I very much doubt that the Big Bang tells the whole story

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
No one lives that way Jonah. Sartre already expressed your thought, that there is no reason because uniform causes and effects (as a closed system) cannot provide it. But I know of know one who actually thinks that way, and I deal with many people close to death in my medical work. A line from the Old Testament says "God has put eternity in their hearts." Only jaded scientists actually think the world is a closed system, and since Lyell they have try to impose that on society.

"The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever" stated the Westminster Confession from the 1700s. I'm not blanket-approving everything done by the Reformation, but they hit that one on the head. There is no metaphysical problem in the Christian faith because of that philosophical position.

Again, for one thing, the closed, uniformitarian system fails badly on geo-morphology; the shape of the earth structures indicates a recent and dramatic re-ordering of things. You'll find this in the Centralia theory about Australia, at Yosemite, at Grand Canyon, in the shape of the ridges of Patagonia, or the 400 lb Mayan calendar found randomly in sediment while excavating in downtown Brisbane, Australia, in the 90s (I think). Nearly 500 world legends refer to such re-ordering events. Before Mazama erupted and the great flood, says a Klamath account, there were white people.

While you have said "but it is there" you have to go a bit further and notice what Gonzales et al noticed; it is not 'mediocre.' It is there to be observed, and for us to feel privileged to do so.

No, but thank you anyway

SonOfCaleb

There is little certainty when it comes to this. It all highly speculative, because we are going to a "time" that is before the laws of physics were applied.

When it comes to "time" prior to the Big Bang there are multiple theories. They range from the universe coming from nothing, to a parent universe budding ours into existence, to dimensional waves colliding to produce a singularity that expanded into our Big Bang.

We simply don't have that much info to go on. And we might never. We put info that fits in with measurements that we have (from distant starlight we can determine elements and radiating heat of different types) into computer models, and we run them 100,000 times until we have an idea of what SHOULD have happened given what we currently see in the universe around us.

It's not nothing. But I very much doubt that the Big Bang tells the whole story

From a philosophical point of view how do you square the concept of 'something from nothing?' Eg the Universe courtesy of the serendipity of the Big Bang when everything we can observe empirically tells us otherwise. EG its simply not possible for something especially an absurdly complex Universe and life could come literally from nothing? I know the house i live in didnt come from nothing. And yet Science has no problem accepting this theory on an intergalatic scale?

Its also clear that laws indicate intelligience. Its simply not possible for random abberations to be produced by a precise set of laws EG Physics, Quantum mechanics etc. How do you also square that circle? Or do you just dimiss it and attribute it to random causality?

Greg Jennings

From a philosophical point of view how do you square the concept of 'something from nothing?' Eg the Universe courtesy of the serendipity of the Big Bang when everything we can observe empirically tells us otherwise. EG its simply not possible for something especially an absurdly complex Universe and life could come literally from nothing? I know the house i live in didnt come from nothing. And yet Science has no problem accepting this theory on an intergalatic scale?
I have issues wrapping my head around something coming from nothing, in regards to ANYTHING. I have trouble picturing a beginning to the universe, but I also have trouble imagining a universe with no beginning that has existed forever.

In terms of a creator, I've never understood why your question doesn't apply to Him. Why, if the universe must have a beginning, must God not? What "began" God? Did He poof into existence one day and start creating?

Saying "he was always there" is no better an answer than saying "the universe has always been here" to me. If logic can be applied to the beginning of time/universe, then it should also be applied to the beginning of God.

Its also clear that laws indicate intelligience. Its simply not possible for random abberations to be produced by a precise set of laws EG Physics, Quantum mechanics etc. How do you also square that circle? Or do you just dimiss it and attribute it to random causality?
If the laws of physics were different, then life would have developed differently and looked differently to fit the universe it is in. Physics is fine-tuned for life in our universe because physics has been the same since before life existed. Life evolved in response to our universe's specific physical properties.

If our universe's gravity 1,000,000 times as great as it actually is, life could still have evolved, it just would look much much different. Normal life would probably more resemble deep-sea life (they handle intense pressures well).

What specific natural properties do you think must be designed? There is much symmetry and order throughout nature because atoms interact with each other in an effort to produce stable states, and this tends to gravitate towards order over randomness. Now maybe God did make atoms with this in mind, but it isn't a necessary step that God is responsible for order in the universe

quip

BANNED
Banned
I know the house i live in didnt come from nothing. And yet Science has no problem accepting this theory on an intergalatic scale?

That's because "house" is a preconceived concept...a derivation with an intentional essence, end-game or goal. Nature harbors no such goal. The universe is not mankind's "house" as presumed by the religious 'artifact theory of existence'. Nature is a (continuous) process not a product; it's patently self-serving to believe that within such a vast universe, which existed billions of years prior to mankind, the utter minutia we call human-life is some end-game for the universe...a process which will no less advance eons post-religious hubris.

Answer me a few questions:

Wherefore your strong instinct favoring intelligent design:

Take a wooden rocking chair and juxtapose it next to a tree. Now, why is there such an obvious, strongly intuitive, juxtaposition here?
Well, simply because you're experiencing a phenomenal contrast of an intentional design within a non-designed environment. Design is wrought from non-design, the derivation of the rocking chair is wrought for the tree (nature/universe); the opposite may not be true...yet, religion wants us to accept some contrived design of the tree.

By what demonstrable instinct or method may the tree be actuated as design?

Intelligent Design is a mere anthro-centric illusion.

Last edited:

eider

And the reason some people get cancer is...?

Very good!
Now you're thinking, at last..... :)
You see?
You've asked for a 'reason' for cancer, which means that you believe there is or are reasons for cancer.

Now, back to our existence. As soon as you wonder 'why', or 'how', you have basically consented to the common sense logic that there had to be a reason.

eider

Wrong.
'Why?' is a question. No more, no less.
Equally. How?' is a question, no more, no less.

As soon as a person wonders 'Why?' or 'How?' that person has already accepted that there is an answer to their question.

By the way, do you accept that there is a reason for our existence?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Wrong.
'Why?' is a question. No more, no less.
Equally. How?' is a question, no more, no less.

As soon as a person wonders 'Why?' or 'How?' that person has already accepted that there is an answer to their question.

Sure, though telos need not apply.

By the way, do you accept that there is a reason for our existence?

Life is simply a logically necessary existent.

eider

Life is simply a logically necessary existent.

That sentence is a contradiction of itself! :)

Life is simply.........
.................a logically necessary existent! :D

Question: Are you a Star Trek fan? You write like 1st Officer Spok talks. :D