Cracked's POTD by laughsoutloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracked

You make a good point about there being a conflict between evolution and a literal interpretation of Genesis.

And by literal, I mean seeking to understand what Genesis would have meant to its original audience - what the clear meaning of the text would have been.

While Genesis 1 could be read as poetry, Genesis 2 is certainly meant to be taken as an attempt to explain how it happened.

Yet it is clear that we do not live in the world described in either Genesis 1 or 2 (and they are different).

So now what?

The inescapable conclusion is that the bible contains cultural misunderstandings, prejudices and errors.

Does the Bible claim for itself infallibility? No, this is an extra-biblical idea, like the infallibility of the Pope.

Did the bible assemble itself? No, it was a consensus document, that even now exists in several forms.

So what do we do? What every age, generation and church community does - the best it can with what it has.

Now that's a truthsmack! :maxi:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What a moronic post. Genesis 6. Time to reshape the planet.

Cracked

What a moronic post. Genesis 6. Time to reshape the planet.

Nick, you're an idiot. You are the first person I've every really considered putting on ignore - but if I did that I would stop getting a kick out of your self-righteous claptrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.