counter-terrorism begins with changing society???

republicanchick

This is what Pres O said in his speech recently, that we have to change society so as not to create terrorists. I agree... but i don't agree w/ his ideas as to how to change society to prevent psyhopaths.

a job isn't going to do it. There will always be psychos and they won't choose a job over... their murderous ways

and besides, this is like talking about... how arsonists become arsonists, as the house burns down, rather than picking up a water hose...

Where in his speech was the part about what we are going to do to rid the w orld of these out of control killers?

i must have nodded off or soemthing...

This isn't Whack-a-Mole

it is whack a cockroach...

An exterminator will tell you that you can't just kill a few of those disgusting creatures and expect to have a roach-free house... after killing, say, 5 of them. "Oh, i've killed 5 of them. That'll teach them a lesson... won't come to t his house anymore..."

uh... yeh...

____

Sitamun

When it comes to radical islam, a part of the reason people turn to it in the middle east, are very similar to the reasons the young people of this country turn to gangs. One of those reasons is poverty. There are other reasons yes, but it is a big one. In the middle east, poverty coupled with corrupt totalitarian regimes don't leave the young with a lot of options. One of the alternatives is emigration. This is a big no-no to many republicans. It is the option my husband chose. In his home country it was either give all of his money to the corrupt government, leave, or join a "terrorist" organization to fight the government to no avail. He, and many like him have chosen to leave. A lot have emigrated to France, so many in fact that France is sort of unofficially "closing their borders". His only options were the UK or the US. His family has a long history of fighting first the French Colonials and then the corrupt Algerian government. He spent nights as a teenager guarding the family home from both government forces and terrorist forces with automatic weapons. They are tired of fighting and just want to live a normal life with the freedoms we have here. I realize that many here might not believe me, or claim certain things about my husband, it's happened before. Now with all this being said, I don't think it is the United States role to go in and fight every non democratic government in the world.
Violence just begets more violence. Until nations learn that politics and religion don't mix they will continue to have problems.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
When it comes to radical islam, a part of the reason people turn to it in the middle east, are very similar to the reasons the young people of this country turn to gangs. One of those reasons is poverty. There are other reasons yes, but it is a big one. In the middle east, poverty coupled with corrupt totalitarian regimes don't leave the young with a lot of options. One of the alternatives is emigration. This is a big no-no to many republicans. It is the option my husband chose. In his home country it was either give all of his money to the corrupt government, leave, or join a "terrorist" organization to fight the government to no avail. He, and many like him have chosen to leave. A lot have emigrated to France, so many in fact that France is sort of unofficially "closing their borders". His only options were the UK or the US. His family has a long history of fighting first the French Colonials and then the corrupt Algerian government. He spent nights as a teenager guarding the family home from both government forces and terrorist forces with automatic weapons. They are tired of fighting and just want to live a normal life with the freedoms we have here. I realize that many here might not believe me, or claim certain things about my husband, it's happened before. Now with all this being said, I don't think it is the United States role to go in and fight every non democratic government in the world.
Violence just begets more violence. Until nations learn that politics and religion don't mix they will continue to have problems.

unfortunately, history shows nations never learn - history doesn't "exactly" repeat itself, but it rhymes. it's a small world, but huge differences. control and fear (terror), in varying forms cause people to accept a life they didn't choose. bitterness, resentment, anger, violence and False Faith soon follow. Lord Help us all - :patrol:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
This is what Pres O said in his speech recently, that we have to change society so as not to create terrorists. I agree... but i don't agree w/ his ideas as to how to change society to prevent psyhopaths.

a job isn't going to do it. There will always be psychos and they won't choose a job over... their murderous ways

and besides, this is like talking about... how arsonists become arsonists, as the house burns down, rather than picking up a water hose...

Where in his speech was the part about what we are going to do to rid the w orld of these out of control killers?

i must have nodded off or soemthing...

This isn't Whack-a-Mole

it is whack a cockroach...

An exterminator will tell you that you can't just kill a few of those disgusting creatures and expect to have a roach-free house... after killing, say, 5 of them. "Oh, i've killed 5 of them. That'll teach them a lesson... won't come to t his house anymore..."

uh... yeh...

____
Calling them Islamists with a holy agenda is just what they want us to do. The people who know the language of diplomacy in a complicated world are being mocked. It's as if it's okay to deny our nation the funds to defend ourselves, but at the same time some are arguing over words and terminology.

It shouldn't matter. Just call the terrorists "Larry" and go deal with them!

Osama bin Laden said similar things about Islam after he attacked us and poor Bush and the rest of our population bumped ourselves right in the hole Osama dug.

Bush has showed us a valuable lesson: we can never, ever kill our way out of this.

Mocking You

Calling them Islamists with a holy agenda is just what they want us to do. The people who know the language of diplomacy in a complicated world are being mocked. It's as if it's okay to deny our nation the funds to defend ourselves, but at the same time some are arguing over words and terminology.

It shouldn't matter. Just call the terrorists "Larry" and go deal with them!

I agree with this. Reminds me of the scene in Life of Brian when the group can't remember if they are the Peoples Front of Judea, or the Judean People's Front.

Also, there are "Islamic Terrorists" that kill other "Islamic Terrorists". So which ones should Obama apply the label to?

Bush has showed us a valuable lesson: we can never, ever kill our way out of this.

If this is a war, and it is, the way to win a war is to kill as many of the enemy as it takes to get them to surrender. That's the way wars have been won since forever.

republicanchick

Probably means that we need to make the societies over there more Democratic, by force obviously.

yeh... force gets a bad name, but sometimes, it is one Force against another.. and people have to choose

have to...

that doesn't sound good (have to) but... hey, life is full of unpleasant stuff...

___

republicanchick

like all leftie posts, this makes no sense

war is killing.

I know that sounds bad. It is bad, but we didn't start this thing. We do have the power to end it, though..

so knock it off with the lying... war involves killing

there, i said it again... might have to say it 1000 more times for some of the slower folks

killing is our only option

once the monsters are gone, then we can think about... other things..

monsters always interfere w/ those "other things"

___