ECT Concerning the soul of man

Cross Reference

Of the three parts of man the soul is that part that enters eternity. The object of redemption is for a man to have the capability of perfecting his soul for entrance into iit. However, the gift of God is on this wise: because of Adam’s transgression for which no man conceived in sin can ever cancel out its penalty, his effort to whatever degree he is successful in the cleansing of his soul is still left with the impossibility of entering the presence of God. His soul must be glorified. The cross of Jesus Christ has made that possible both in the power to cleanse his soul and provide for his entrance into the kingdom of God, wherein is His presence found even in his earthly life. If it can be that this is the salvation of man per Jn 17:3, and how it is arrived at, then the “gift” of Ephesians 2:7-10 might be made more clear that it would alter the traditional understanding of it that has robbed redeemed man of the knowledge of the necessity of seeking God.

“That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of
[y]ourselves: it is the gift of God [by the revelation of Jesus Christ]: 
Not of works, lest any man should boast. 
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them”. Ephesians 2:7-10 (KJV)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
FIND THE INNER MAN-CRUSIFY THE OUTER PERSON
(SPIRIT, MIND OF INNER MAN. SOUL, BODY OF INNER MAN)

Col 3:9-10
9 Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds,
10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,
1 Pet 4:19
19 Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.
Matt 22:16
16 And they sent to Him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that You are true, and teach the way of God in truth; nor do You care about anyone, for You do not regard the person of men.
Rom 7:22
22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
Gal 5:24-25
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
John 6:63
63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
John 4:48
48 Then Jesus said to him, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe."
Matt 12:38-39
38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You."
39 But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
1 Tim 4:9-11
9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance.
10 For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.
11 These things command and teach.
1 Tim 4:13-16
13 Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14 Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership.
15 Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.
16 Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.
1 Pet 4:19
19 Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.
Eph 3:14-19
14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--
19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
2 Cor 4:16-18
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Eph 4:21-24
21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,
23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind,
24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
1 Pet 2:4-5
4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious,
5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Pet 2:11-12
11 Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul,
12 having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.
(NKJ)
xxxx Your inner man consists of your spirit(the mind of your inner man) and your soul(the body of your inner man). All affections come from your soul and all decisions come from your spirit. Not all ideas but all decisions. All ideas come from the different beings in you. You get one opinion from your guardian angel. And you get one opinion from the devil. Then you choose who to agree with. But if you have the Holy Spirit He will give you a verse to show you who is who.
All your emotions dwell in your outer person (body). All emotions are unclean spirits.

Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
(NKJ)

Heb 10:38-39
38 Now the just shall live by faith; but if anyone draws back, my soul has no pleasure in him."
39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.
(NKJ)

Gal 5:17
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
(NKJ)

1 Pet 1:3-9
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials,
7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
9 receiving the end of your faith-- the salvation of your souls.
(NKJ)

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Of the three parts of man the soul is that part that enters eternity. The object of redemption is for a man to have the capability of perfecting his soul for entrance into iit. However, the gift of God is on this wise: because of Adam’s transgression for which no man conceived in sin can ever cancel out its penalty, his effort to whatever degree he is successful in the cleansing of his soul is still left with the impossibility of entering the presence of God. His soul must be glorified. The cross of Jesus Christ has made that possible both in the power to cleanse his soul and provide for his entrance into the kingdom of God, wherein is His presence found even in his earthly life. If it can be that this is the salvation of man per Jn 17:3, and how it is arrived at, then the “gift” of Ephesians 2:7-10 might be made more clear that it would alter the traditional understanding of it that has robbed redeemed man of the knowledge of the necessity of seeking God.

The redeemed will be glorified in body and soul through Union in Christ Jesus.

They have been given His life, which includes spiritual cleansing, but receiving the life of God goes far beyond the cleansing.

Cleansing is not the primary means; only part. The comprehensive CHANGE of the heart, mind, and will of the sinner, to love God and His righteousness, is what works full redemption.

Therefore, your post (which does not sound like your own words) falls way short of the full truth of divine regeneration.

Cross Reference

The redeemed will be glorified in body and soul through Union in Christ Jesus.

Not so. Everyone has been redeemed but those who receive the benefit is conditioned upon their coming to salvation in Christ. Redemption is Not the gift of God. It is for Him.

They have been given His life, which includes spiritual cleansing, but receiving the life of God goes far beyond the cleansing.

Not before coming to Christ that they might receive His Life for their success in their own 'Christian' life. OMT: There is no spiritual cleansing as you suppose but simply the means by which the process might begin and that by the choosing of Christ Jesus.

Cleansing is not the primary means; only part. The comprehensive CHANGE of the heart, mind, and will of the sinner, to love God and His righteousness, is what works full redemption.

Again, no. The shed Blood of Jesus Christ is that which redeemed mankind __ plus nothing. Learn that Jesus held a "Spiritual pawn ticket" in His hands when hanging on that cross. He paid the price in Blood, His.

Therefore, your post (which does not sound like your own words) falls way short of the full truth of divine regeneration.

They are my own words and your "therefore" is very much out of order based upon your "religious conclusions". I haven't mentioned regeneration that you should think you need to include it in your argument.

Ever read anything by Andrew Murray?

oatmeal

“That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them”. Ephesians 2:7-10 (KJV)

I Thessalonians 5:23

Body and soul and spirit, three parts, that is what scripture shows

Last edited:

nikolai_42

On your first point (that the soul is the only part of man that enters into eternity), what of Jesus' words?

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matthew 10:28

EDIT : (I also thought of Ecclesiastes 12:7, but it is a little less direct on the matter. Someone who believes in man as tripartite wouldn't, I don't think, make the statement you made about eternity. So I don't want to distract from the thought, but add it here just for completeness)

Cross Reference

On your first point (that the soul is the only part of man that enters into eternity), what of Jesus' words?

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matthew 10:28

That would be God that by His sovereignty, could do so __ except the actual existence of the soul, He could not kill. Now, what does that declare about hell being an eternal fire "where their worm never dies"?

Cross Reference

Where do you find that He couldn't kill the actual existence of the soul?

That would be a good study for one as yourself. Does not the scripture say that God has a soul? Did He not make man a living being patterned after Himself? In doing so, He made man something that the substance of Himself could never die but at most, could be only eternally separated from God. In the end it will be either unto Him, by His salvation or to the Devil by His deception.

nikolai_42

That would be a good study for one as yourself. Does not the scripture say that God has a soul? Did He not make man a living being patterned after Himself? In doing so, He made man something that the substance of Himself could never die but at most, could be only eternally separated from God. In the end it will be either unto Him, by His salvation or to the Devil by His deception.

Do you believe man is tripartite or bipartite?

nikolai_42

Absolutely! 1John5:8 KJV

I'm assuming, then, that you mean tripartite. If so, then Ecclesiastes 12:7 certainly has something to say about this. It says the spirit (not the soul) returns to God who gave it.

As for God not destroying the soul because it is a part of being made in the image of God, then whether it is extinguished or not, doesn't destruction imply violence to that image? What is the difference if it is kept alive (while being consciously punished continually) or simply extinguished (forfeiture of existence)?

I would dispute the idea that God has a soul in the same sense that man does. God IS Spirit. He does say at various instances "My soul..." but we also hear "My Spirit...". If He IS a Spirit, then what business does He have of mixing the categories (possessing vs. being)? Or, more properly, if He does, then do we need to be held to rigid interpretation that "My soul..." implies He has one (in a materialistic sense)?

Truster

To understand the end of the body, soul and spirit it is first necessary to understand the office of the soul and of the spirit. Based on two years on TOL I haven't read a single post in which anyone has correctly shown that they posses this knowledge.

Cross Reference

I'm assuming, then, that you mean tripartite. If so, then Ecclesiastes 12:7 certainly has something to say about this. It says the spirit (not the soul) returns to God who gave it.

Yes.

As for God not destroying the soul because it is a part of being made in the image of God, then whether it is extinguished or not, doesn't destruction imply violence to that image? What is the difference if it is kept alive (while being consciously punished continually) or simply extinguished (forfeiture of existence)?

Can we not say that the process of being destroyed carries the same implication? Sort like, "The soul that sins, shall die"

I would dispute the idea that God has a soul in the same sense that man does.

God declared it, not me.

God IS Spirit.

He also has a Body __being the tripartite being that He is. . . :)

He does say at various instances "My soul..." but we also hear "My Spirit...". If He IS a Spirit, then what business does He have of mixing the categories (possessing vs. being)? Or, more properly, if He does, then do we need to be held to rigid interpretation that "My soul..." implies He has one (in a materialistic sense)?

Yes. John 1:1.

Question: Why do you want to hammer on these issues? What does it profit you?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Yes.

Can we not say that the process of being destroyed carries the same implication?

God declared it, not me.

He also has a Body __being the tripartite being that He is. . . :)

Yes. John 1:1.

Question: Why do you want to hammer on these issues? What does it profit you?

Tri-Partitism is the cause of several doctrinal difficulties/errors.

You present one here, by referring to the Triune Godhead, as the premise for your belief that man was created a "trinity" of body, soul, and spirit just like God.

BUT . . .

"Body, soul, and spirit" does not define Triune God!!!