Christianity's Biggest Blunders

disturbo

BANNED
Banned
Futurist only please.

Being raised Catholic, I can tell you that it never hurt me to get on my knees to pray and say the pledge of allegiance in every day at the beginning of class in Catholic school. After moving on from there to several different denominations I still call myself 'mostly' Catholic today but I'm a futurist and non-trinitarian. And that's the first blunder I would like to address.

The trinity

The bible clearly teaches that Jesus is God but that God is yet greater. Jesus admitted that the Father was greater and that God knew things he didn't know. Some people confuse diety with trinity. Jesus is GOD, but God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are not coequal.
Question: Why is the Holy Spirit no found in the depiction of God's throne when Jesus is IF He is a member of this 'trinity'?

Going to heaven after we die.

The bibles says many things about the intermediate state but not once does it state we go to heaven until after we get our glorified bodies. There variations are either being awake or brain dead for a while until the resurrection. All that is a matter of debate. But why do so many churches teach we go to heaven when it's clear we go to paradise to await the resurrection.

Preteriblationism. This one astounds me.

What makes pre-tribbers think that when God does remove His own, planes, trains, and automobiles would crash killing millions and causing havoc all over the earth? Why would people want to turn to God knowing he just murdered millions just to take you to 'heaven?' Sounds more like a terror attack to me. They make the rapture appear more like a destructive and sloppy transition from earth to heaven rather than a kind and loving act of God. Worst yet is preterism.

Preterism

It is the most destructive thing that has ever entered the church. God's power, wisdom and foreknowledge is proven by prophecy. Preterisn is a prophetic cop out. It's so easy to take a prophecy and find some history, especially from the first century, that's remotely similar to a prophecy AND CLAIM it's already fulfilled. Preterism is an awful denial of God's prophetic Word. It takes so much away from God's purpose in prophecy just before the return of His Son Jesus Christ.

There really isn't much difference between full and partial preterism.

The Revived Roman empire.

This is a colossal blunder and yet people still believe it even though there's no evidence of it and a classic misinterpretation of the great statue of Daniel 2. People are moving away from it for very simple reasons. The reformers and those that followed in their eschatological footsteps are responsible for an incredible amount of misleading prophecies because of it.

The challenge on this one is for anyone on the forum to show me ONE verse of prophecy where Rome, Catholicism, The EU, or America is implied anywhere in ebd-time prophecy.

Globalsim.

Does the bible really teach that in the end a demonic duo would somehow rise and unite the worlds governments and religions? Does it really predict an end-time world dictator? Do you really think all of the world's governments would relinquish their political and governing authority over to one man? How would one man accomplish such an enormous task?

This blunder primarily comes from a misinterpretation of about three simple words. ALL, WORLD, AND END. Neither will there be a global mark of the beast. The mark will be limited to the empire or caliphate of the Islamic beast in the Arab world headquartered in the Dome complex in East Jerusalem and probably will spill over to other Muslim dominated countries.

The Anti-Christ. He's NOT an global dictator and...

Some people say there not once is someone called "the anti-Christ' in the bible. This is not true as he is called the anti-Christ. Some say the anti-Christ is a system, a spirit, or a plurality of persons. That's not true either since several times personal pronouns are attributed to him.

This is the way 1John 2:18 is translated in the KJV and it's actually incorrect.

Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

If you look at several other translations you'll see it translated differently because that's the way it is in the Greek interlinear.
The correct rendering of 1st John 2::18 is more like this.

New International Version

Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.

This is actually the most accurate and 'reader friendly' one to understand.

New Living Translation

Dear children, the last hour is here. You have heard that the Antichrist is coming, and already many such antichrists have appeared. From this we know that the last hour has come.

Berean Study Bible

Children, it is the last hour; and just as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. This is how we know it is the last hour.

NET Bible

Children, it is the last hour, and just as you heard that the antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. We know from this that it is the last hour.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English

My children, it is an end time, and according to what you have heard that The False Messiah comes, already there have been many false messiahs, and by this we know that it is an end time.

The fact that the word THE is in the interlinear, I say the passage indicates a coming antichrist as well as many antichrist.

The primary Protestant view of Daniel 7.

How can Daniels first beast similar to a lion rise from the sea, when the date of the vision occurred in the first year of Belshazzar who was the last king of Babylon? The Babylonian Empire had already risen decades before and was on it's way out when Daniel 7 was written! Why would Daniel prophesy about a kingdom that was already in existence for about 50 years and soon to end? Some atheist have actually caught onto this blunder and used it to debunk the bible by calling Daniel a false prophet which he would certainly be, since he prophesied about something already in existence. But you know wht? Christians typically don't care.

A PROPHET CANNOT PROPHESY ABOUT SOMETHING ALREADY IN EXISTENCE WITHOUT TRULY BEING A FALSE PROPHET!

Attributing APOSTASY to the church.

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

From the word 'except' in verse 3c, to the end of verse 12, the church is not implied in any way. In fact the words "but we" in verse 13 prove that the church is not part of the apostasy! The word but is a conjunction that shows distinction and opposition to a previous statement. It opposes persons to persons or things previously mentioned or thought of. The distinction in this passage is between the followers of Christ as opposed to the man of sin and his followers. The church is not implied whatsoever. Everything is attributed to the anti-Christ and his followers.

2Thes. 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Futurist only please.

Being raised Catholic, I can tell you that it never hurt me to get on my knees to pray and say the pledge of allegiance in every day at the beginning of class in Catholic school. After moving on from there to several different denominations I still call myself 'mostly' Catholic today but I'm a futurist and non-trinitarian. And that's the first blunder I would like to address.

What makes pre-tribbers think that when God does remove His own, planes, trains, and automobiles would crash killing millions and causing havoc all over the earth? Why would people want to turn to God knowing he just murdered millions just to take you to 'heaven?' Sounds more like a terror attack to me. They make the rapture appear more like a destructive and sloppy transition from earth to heaven rather than a kind and loving act of God. Worst yet is preterism.

Your a non-trinity thinker and catholic. I think the idea of crashing vehicles and planes is absurd, it's a warped view of the rapture. I believe exactly what the Bible tells us in Thess. God can work His Will in many different ways and we shouldn't try filling in the blanks with our imaginations.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why is the Holy Spirit no found in the depiction of God's throne when Jesus is IF He is a member of this 'trinity'?

The Holy Spirit is Jesus' father.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 1:18 NKJV)

But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 1:20 NKJV)​

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Apostles' Creed​

(1) I believe in God the Father Almighty;
(2) And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;
(3) Who was born of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary;
(4) Crucified under Pontius Pilate and buried;
(5) The third day He rose again from the dead,
(6) He ascended into Heaven,
(7) Sitteth at the right hand of the Father,
(8) Whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
(9) And in the Holy Ghost,
(10) The Holy Church,
(11) The forgiveness of sins;
(12) The resurrection of the body.

(http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01629a.htm)

brewmama

Apostles' Creed​

(3) Who was born of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary;
(10) The Holy Church,

(http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01629a.htm)

Ooops, you left out something! He descended into hell... and the communion of saints

brewmama

Futurist only please.

The trinity

The bible clearly teaches that Jesus is God but that God is yet greater. Jesus admitted that the Father was greater and that God knew things he didn't know. Some people confuse diety with trinity. Jesus is GOD, but God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are not coequal.
Question: Why is the Holy Spirit no found in the depiction of God's throne when Jesus is IF He is a member of this 'trinity'?

The bibles says many things about the intermediate state but not once does it state we go to heaven until after we get our glorified bodies. There variations are either being awake or brain dead for a while until the resurrection. All that is a matter of debate. But why do so many churches teach we go to heaven when it's clear we go to paradise to await the resurrection.

Preterism

It is the most destructive thing that has ever entered the church. God's power, wisdom and foreknowledge is proven by prophecy. Preterisn is a prophetic cop out. It's so easy to take a prophecy and find some history, especially from the first century, that's remotely similar to a prophecy AND CLAIM it's already fulfilled. Preterism is an awful denial of God's prophetic Word. It takes so much away from God's purpose in prophecy just before the return of His Son Jesus Christ.

This is a colossal blunder and yet people still believe it even though there's no evidence of it and a classic misinterpretation of the great statue of Daniel 2. People are moving away from it for very simple reasons. The reformers and those that followed in their eschatological footsteps are responsible for an incredible amount of misleading prophecies because of it.

The challenge on this one is for anyone on the forum to show me ONE verse of prophecy where Rome, Catholicism, The EU, or America is implied anywhere in ebd-time prophecy.

Globalsim.

Does the bible really teach that in the end a demonic duo would somehow rise and unite the worlds governments and religions? Does it really predict an end-time world dictator? Do you really think all of the world's governments would relinquish their political and governing authority over to one man? How would one man accomplish such an enormous task?

This blunder primarily comes from a misinterpretation of about three simple words. ALL, WORLD, AND END. Neither will there be a global mark of the beast. The mark will be limited to the empire or caliphate of the Islamic beast in the Arab world headquartered in the Dome complex in East Jerusalem and probably will spill over to other Muslim dominated countries.

Some people say there not once is someone called "the anti-Christ' in the bible. This is not true as he is called the anti-Christ. Some say the anti-Christ is a system, a spirit, or a plurality of persons. That's not true either since several times personal pronouns are attributed to him.

This is the way 1John 2:18 is translated in the KJV and it's actually incorrect.

Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

If you look at several other translations you'll see it translated differently because that's the way it is in the Greek interlinear.

Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.

New Living Translation

Dear children, the last hour is here. You have heard that the Antichrist is coming, and already many such antichrists have appeared. From this we know that the last hour has come.

Berean Study Bible

Children, it is the last hour; and just as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. This is how we know it is the last hour.

NET Bible

Children, it is the last hour, and just as you heard that the antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. We know from this that it is the last hour.

My children, it is an end time, and according to what you have heard that The False Messiah comes, already there have been many false messiahs, and by this we know that it is an end time.

The fact that the word THE is in the interlinear, I say the passage indicates a coming antichrist as well as many antichrist.

How can Daniels first beast similar to a lion rise from the sea, when the date of the vision occurred in the first year of Belshazzar who was the last king of Babylon? The Babylonian Empire had already risen decades before and was on it's way out when Daniel 7 was written! Why would Daniel prophesy about a kingdom that was already in existence for about 50 years and soon to end? Some atheist have actually caught onto this blunder and used it to debunk the bible by calling Daniel a false prophet which he would certainly be, since he prophesied about something already in existence. But you know wht? Christians typically don't care.

A PROPHET CANNOT PROPHESY ABOUT SOMETHING ALREADY IN EXISTENCE WITHOUT TRULY BEING A FALSE PROPHET!

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

From the word 'except' in verse 3c, to the end of verse 12, the church is not implied in any way. In fact the words "but we" in verse 13 prove that the church is not part of the apostasy! The word but is a conjunction that shows distinction and opposition to a previous statement. It opposes persons to persons or things previously mentioned or thought of. The distinction in this passage is between the followers of Christ as opposed to the man of sin and his followers. The church is not implied whatsoever. Everything is attributed to the anti-Christ and his followers.

2Thes. 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning.

I agree with everything you said except for the Trinity. I certainly believe in that.

Most of that stuff is just kind of wacko Protestant stuff.

Jerome84

God is everywhere. People do not need to visit churches to be "nearer" God.

To pray on a lawn in front of a factory is as powerful as praying in a cathedral.

I criticize Catholicism.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Holy Spirit is Jesus' father.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 1:18 NKJV)

But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 1:20 NKJV)​

I would rather say the Father fathered Jesus by His Holy Spirit.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

To pray on a lawn in front of a factory is as powerful as praying in a cathedral.

I criticize Catholicism.

Welcome.

While God hears all, at the same time He is a Presence which is not everywhere.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Rev 18:1 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.
Rev 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.
Rev 18:3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Rev 18:5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

It depends on understanding the distinction between the churches (assemblies of believers) and the Church (the elect).

At the fall of OT Israel, the faithful were scattered, others were bound, and the wicked ruled.

The apostacy at the end is that of the churches, which of course in tandem with the unchurched world will turn away from Christ as we see in motion today in many places.

This can only refer to the nations which are/were the home of the gospel, the modern day Babylon, the once caretaker of the saints, from King Neb right though to the ten toes of Rev.

LA

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I would rather say the Father fathered Jesus by His Holy Spirit.

Yes, the Holy Spirit is the power of the Highest.

And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:35 NKJV)​

nikolai_42

Futurist only please.

The trinity

Who is it that we "see" in Isaiah 6 "...sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up"? Should we believe that Jesus is "the King, the Lord of hosts" (Isaiah 6:5) but not equal with the Father? And don't forget to read John 12:35-41 if you don't think that Isaiah's vision showed him the Son.

As for the Holy Spirit, Jesus is said to have the seven spirits of God (Rev 3:1) and Rev 4:5 clearly depicts the presence of these seven spirits at the throne.

Remember, though, the character and nature of the Holy Spirit is not to be seen (John 3:8 and John 16:13, for example) but points men to Christ.

Preterism

Globalsim.

New Living Translation

Berean Study Bible

NET Bible

I will avoid the eschatological points you are making since I'm not a futurist.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Should we believe that Jesus is "the King, the Lord of hosts" (Isaiah 6:5) but not equal with the Father?

Yes, if you take him at his word.

You have heard Me say to you, "I am going away and coming back to you." If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, "I am going to the Father" for My Father is greater than I. (John 14:28 NKJV)

Jesus also said, "I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God." (John 20:17 NKJV)​

We have the same father as Jesus so Jesus is our brother.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

I criticize Catholicism.

the church is a place to gather in His name
the church is a place to get fed
Jesus asked peter three times
to feed His sheep

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Futurist only please.

The trinity

Preterism

Globalsim.

New Living Translation

Berean Study Bible

NET Bible

The Holy Spirit is always mediated through the interpretations of men.

This is why the theology of the Fourth Gospel can state “I and the Father are One” as well as “the Father is greater than I.”

It’s all about interpretation.

Ben Masada

Apostles' Creed​

(3) Who was born of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary.
(10) The Holy Church,

(1) So do I.

(2) I don't. According to the Scriptures Jesus always referred to as the Word of God, the son of God is Israel. (Exod. 4:22,23) "Israel is My son."

(3) Jesus was born of Joseph and Mary. To deny that, we are simply agreeing with John 8:41.

(4) I agree with that too.

(5) I can't agree because Jesus would be in contradiction with II Sam. 12:23; II Sam. 14:14; Isa. 26:14 and Job 10:21)

(6) I can't agree with that either. See #5 above.

(7) - I can't agree with that either. Jesus said that HaShem is a Spirit. (John 4:24) A Spirit does not have a behind to seat it on a throne.

(8 ) The living yes; the dead no. The Lord is not a God of the dead but of the living only. (Mark 12:27)

(9) The Father and the Holy Ghost are one and the same. That's the Spirit Jesus said HaShem is. (John 4:24)

(10) And the holy Church! Most definitely not! The Church has no inheritance with the son of God aka Israel. (Exod. 4:23,24)

(11) Only if the forgiveness of sins is followed by repentance and return to the obedience of God's Law. (Isa. 1:18,19)

(12) Absolutely not according to II Sam. 12:23; II Sam 14:14; Isa. 26:14; and Job 10:21)