Christian songs - what do you listen to?

PureX

I reject the use of art for propaganda. And that includes it's use as religious propaganda. And of course that includes music.

But I do like art and music that express spiritual, and even specifically Christian, themes. The difference being personal expression vs some ideological agenda.

Here's an interesting song I came across the other day …

Jamie Gigliotti

I reject the use of art for propaganda. And that includes it's use as religious propaganda. And of course that includes music.

But I do like art and music that express spiritual, and even specifically Christian, themes. The difference being personal expression vs some ideological agenda.

How bout songs that are intended for personal worship?

Jamie Gigliotti

PureX

Shouldn't they, by definition, be kept personal? … Unless they also express a universal human experience through the personal.

Mostly the reason I never liked art being used as ideological advertising is because it's almost always lousy art. As an example, I am associated with the visual arts at the college level, and have seen many a student attempt to make paintings and sculptures about environmental issues. I understand the desire, because these are issues that tend to be on their minds. But I always have to ask them how they think painting a painting or constructing a sculpture is helping the environment? Or how their concern for the environment is making a better painting or sculpture? The answer is almost always that neither endeavor is being better served by combining them.

Ultimately, art is about expressing personal yet universal experience. And it is not teaching, preaching, praising or proselytizing. So it's almost always better art when the latter is avoided. (Though, as with all things, there are some notable exceptions.)

Jamie Gigliotti

Shouldn't they, by definition, be kept personal? … Unless they also express a universal human experience through the personal.

Mostly the reason I never liked art being used as ideological advertising is because it's almost always lousy art. As an example, I am associated with the visual arts at the college level, and have seen many a student attempt to make paintings and sculptures about environmental issues. I understand the desire, because these are issues that tend to be on their minds. But I always have to ask them how they think painting a painting or constructing a sculpture is helping the environment? Or how their concern for the environment is making a better painting or sculpture? The answer is almost always that neither endeavor is being better served by combining them.

Ultimately, art is about expressing personal yet universal experience. And it is not teaching, preaching, praising or proselytizing. So it's almost always better art when the latter is avoided. (Though, as with all things, there are some notable exceptions.)

Personal worship can be done in private or en masse. In the group, powerful Spiritual unifying presence becomes a possibility.
The art can facilitate the expression of the heart and soul which is worship. Without the heart and soul expression of love, praise, thankfulness and humility art is just that art.

PureX

The art can facilitate the expression of the heart and soul which is worship.
No, I don't think it is. In most cases, when artists give expression to such individual, yet universal experiences, it's not about "worship". It's about unity. It's about our shared humanity. It's about recognizing both our uniqueness and our similarity, simultaneously.

To then turn this shared experience toward some abstract idea of "God", I think, is to abuse both art AND God. In the service of what?

Without the heart and soul expression of love, praise, thankfulness and humility art is just that art.
Art is our sharing of ourselves at the deepest levels. That isn't "just" something. It's nearly everything.