Christian Art

clefty

Could it be that you misunderstand that quote? St. Augustine explains:

What is it, then, that He adds? "It is the Spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing." ... it is said that "the flesh profiteth nothing," in the same manner as it is said that "knowledge puffeth up." Then, ought we at once to hate knowledge? Far from it! And what means "Knowledge puffeth up"? Knowledge alone, without charity. Therefore he added, "but charity edifieth." Therefore add thou to knowledge charity, and knowledge will be profitable, not by itself, but through charity. So also here, "the flesh profiteth nothing," only when alone. Let the Spirit be added to the flesh, as charity is added to knowledge, and it profiteth very much. For if the flesh profited nothing, the Word would not be made flesh to dwell among us.​
not talking about spirit into flesh...talking about bread into flesh to actually eat Jesus...His entirety...have Him inside us our tummies and of course later turn into digested matter...

If the body and blood of Jesus profited nothing, then why was it necessary for the Son of God to become flesh and blood and be sacrificed on the cross for us?
His Law. Points out sin. And He needs appeasement...finally got it with His Son...

And why was it necessary for Jesus to institute the Lord's Supper?
to help us remember Passover...oh and His words are life...keep them and live...like when you eat food...you live

jsanford108

let what go? The prohibition against idolatry and traditions of man? Nope. Better we ought to obey Yah rather than man even Peter concludes...

You don't think our Creator knows what is best for us? He knows how prone we are to false worship and idolatry and had He written His own book you can be sure the line for kissing da ikon would be long and not cheap...

Ours is a faith in that which is UNSEEN...

Instead we are to worship in spirit and in truth...the words He speaks are life...truth and spirit

Write the words... but even in that (copyists and translators know this) there is an agenda to distort even with just punctuation, the understanding...

He was concerned that we do His Fathers will...you know, that OT thingy...

Certainly more than our comfort and dependance on worship aids and crutches...

How can you reference the OT when you deny it so often?

The OT is full of things like priests, incense, images (God ordained), physical items with power (relics), sacrifices, etc.

Also, the New Testament is also full of these (Gospels, Acts, Revelations). However, many like to overlook those things because they prove Catholic practices and doctrines more than their own biases.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

clefty

The Jews did not believe Jesus that he said they had to eat his flesh an drink his blood. They walked away. If he was speaking metaphorically he would have called them back and said, “Hey guys, you don’t understand — see the Protestants have it right — what I just said is metaphor so you don’t have to be offended and walk away!” But he didn’t — he let the crowd of disciples walk away.

Your friend will also try to use this verse as an argument against you:

“It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.” (John 6:63, NASB95)

He will probably say, “The flesh profits nothing, see!”

Concerning this, Jesus is not speaking about His Flesh (“My Flesh”), in verse 63 but “the flesh” which is very different and which is missed by sloppy-thinking Protestants like your friend. When Protestants claim “My flesh” profits nothing, they prove way too much! They are claiming that the Incarnation of Jesus in the flesh and the bodily resurrection has no profit.

What Jesus means by “”the flesh profits nothing” is very simple because he uses the phrase again in John 8:15 (we must let the Bible interpret the Bible :) where he says:

“You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one.” (John 8:15, NKJV)

duccioultimacenaOther Bibles translate this “according to the flesh”, or “by human standards”, or “by appearances” or “with your human mind“. When Jesus uses the phrase “the flesh” he is referring to human understanding apart from divine revelation. Your friend judges the Eucharist by human standards (“Looks like bread, feels like bread, tastes like bread — must be bread”).

This statement of Jesus affirms what he has said about eating his Flesh and drinking his Blood and tells us it is a great mystery — spirit and life. With these words Jesus castigates the unbelieving Protestant along with the unbelieving Jews for judging spiritual things with earthly minds — by the flesh — and failing to understand the deep mysteries of God in the Eucharist.

-- http://www.catholicconvert.com/blog/2009/05/12/the-eucharist-the-flesh-profits-nothing/

Aaah yes the mystery...after all He did for you to better understand and appreciate Him His ways...you would rather follow man his tradition of mystery

clefty

The OT is full of things like priests, incense, images (God ordained), physical items with power (relics), sacrifices, etc.

Also, the New Testament is also full of these (Gospels, Acts, Revelations). However, many like to overlook those things because they prove Catholic practices and doctrines more than their own biases.

Lol..."Some ordained" you had to admit...yup some were...He also said don't kill and don't steal and don't commit adultery...and He then instructed them and Hosea to do so...take it up with Him...

Even these "ordained" images were then used falsely and became idolatry...the serpent...the temple...even now they pray at a wall as if the Spirit were there...as if the land was holy still...

Last edited:

clefty

Proving catholic practices and doctrines is the point is it?

Rather we ought to obey Yah...

Last edited:

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
cloned-jesus-405x405.jpg

Interplanner

Art in all of its various forms has figured very prominently in the history of Christianity. It has even contributed to the conversion of masses of people to Christianity at times. Paintings and statues of Jesus and other biblical figures have inspired Christians to greater devotion to Christ and even inspired conversions of non-Christians to faith in Christ. With this in mind, I thought I'd start this thread to showcase images of Christian art throughout the centuries. Wherever possible, I will include references to the artists.

My personal favorite painting of Jesus is this one:

jesus2.jpg

We had one like that in my house when I was a child, and I've always appreciated it. I'm not sure who painted it, though. If anyone knows, please let me know.

I think you will find that this is by a German in the 19th or 20th century. The reason for saying that it is the 'transcendant' style used there by the Vril Society and later in Nazism. Also check the Weiss Rosen society (White rose). The Weiss Rosen society symbol is on the cover of my published annotated bibliography called KARMAGEDDON although I do not think it is available at Amazon with my others. It shows a white rose glowing with the same mystical light in front of a mountain in the dark.

One of the first questions about paintings of Christ is that of asking whether the person was treating him as history. Even if they are primitive, you can tell whether the artist is showing Christ as history or not. When Constantine inserted himself in the Last Supper, he was not history but the underlying assumption is that Christ was. When Dali painted Christ, somewhat in the style above, it was to say specifically that Christ was not in history; you can see 'through' Christ in a transfiguration painting; that Christ is outside of history. So beside the connection to the bizarre German groups, I don't happen to care for this type of depiction.

clefty

And Hitler was a big fan of Micky Mouse and other Disney art, but so what?

What matters is what Yah wants and its clear...make no image...

Which of these three depictions is the truth? And if not why are they at all necessary as we are to workship in spirit and truth...not by works of human hands...certainly not with distracting deceptive false and misleading ones...our faith is in that which is unseen...certainly not aided by imaginations sentimentalization romantic sensual stimuli falsifying worship...He abhors that...