Charles Stanley, Patrick Franklin, & BEL

patman

Last edited:

patman

I was a member of his church and my grandfather was a deacon there. To avoid getting into anything where I might inadvertently breach the confidence in which things were told to me, I'm going to comment mainly on the divorce because it was something public and good example of the sort of hypocrisy Stanley engaged in.

The issue wasn't just the divorce, it's the hypocrisy involved in that Stanley himself preached that divorce disqualified one from the ministry right up until it became public that his wife had separated from him. At that point he had his sudden change of heart on the matter while refusing the church's offer of a leave of absence to deal with his marriage.

It was this sort of thing, combined with all kinds of financial improprieties in the church ranging from graft on land deals to deacons getting caught stealing cash from the offering and the church refusing to discipline them in any way, were among the reasons the church hemorrhaged members in the mid 90s and remains a shadow of its former self. That it survived at all is mostly attributable to handful of wealthy donors and it happening in the pre-internet era where it was a lot easier to keep things hidden.

They are, but they're also to be held to a higher standard so long as they are in that teaching role. (James 3:1)

I can't find fault in this divorce thing at all. I can see how you say he said one thing and then did another - but the thing he did wasn't wrong.

I think about it like this: Which is worst, divorce or murder?

Murder is.

Paul, when he was Saul, murdered many Christians. Yet he went on to be an apostle. Grace was able to cover even murder, to the point that he became the greatest minister for Jesus to ever have lived.

How much more could grace cover divorce? More over, there isn't much public info on the divorce that I can't tell if he was responsible for it.

When faced with a decision like "stay or leave" and it wouldn't be hard for someone to arrive at the correct decision after being forced to reconsider.

I do, however, take issue with the "loophole" the organization found in 1 Timothy 3:12 and Titus 1:5-9 and their decision to keep him... they said he couldn't remarry so he would remain the husband of one wife.

Their decision wasn't based on "grace" it was "Oh, just don't get remarried." The point of the one wife statement in those verses is explained in 1 Timothy 3:5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?). The real question that should have been asked was "is he a good leader in his own home?" not "did he get a divorce."

I am on the outside looking in, and I do not have the inside info that you do, but none-the-less I find myself finding no problem with the divorce issue. If there is something else there, I am unable to see it (obviously, I don't know the man).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The latest updates are here:
http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91200407

P'S OPPOSITION/RESPONSE TO MOTION is a good read.

There isn't much to comment on right now. The only thing "new" was their attempt to get a summary judgement, which failed. You can read the USTPO Decision here:
http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91200407&pty=OPP&eno=15

Whoever wants to pray, please do so. This whole thing could be resolved peacefully.
So ongoing?

I'm also curious as to the illness; how are things going on that front?

patman

So ongoing?

I'm also curious as to the illness; how are things going on that front?

Yeah. Still ongoing.

Thanks for asking about the scleroderma. I am doing very well, especially considering where I was, and where I was headed. I am still in the SCOT study, only one more visit in August and I am done with that one. They are going to talk about another study, which sounds very interesting and also pretty scary (it would take my brother's stem cells, wipe mine out, and then give me his - which could cure it if I can survive it). It's a lot to think about.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Yeah. Still ongoing.

Thanks for asking about the scleroderma. I am doing very well, especially considering where I was, and where I was headed. I am still in the SCOT study, only one more visit in August and I am done with that one. They are going to talk about another study, which sounds very interesting and also pretty scary (it would take my brother's stem cells, wipe mine out, and then give me his - which could cure it if I can survive it). It's a lot to think about.
Whatever you decide I hope you are around for a long time to come.:thumb:

S

Strefanash

God grief, brothers taking brothers to Law. Do they not care that the Bible speaks against this?

Clearly not. They judge money and ego more important

patman

August 13, 2012 – In Touch Ministries and Mr. Patrick Franklin, creator of the Touch Bible software application, are pleased to announce that they have amicably resolved their disagreement related to Mr. Franklin’s use and registration of the trademark “Touch Bible”. The terms of the resolution remain confidential between the parties.

:cool:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
August 13, 2012 – In Touch Ministries and Mr. Patrick Franklin, creator of the Touch Bible software application, are pleased to announce that they have amicably resolved their disagreement related to Mr. Franklin’s use and registration of the trademark “Touch Bible”. The terms of the resolution remain confidential between the parties.

:thumb:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame

Glad to hear its done, the whole thing sounded really lame.