ECT Celebration or Surrender?

Cross Reference

Celebration or surrender?
"We begin our Christian life by believing what we are told to believe, then we have to go on to so assimilate our beliefs that they work out in a way that redounds to the glory of God. The danger is in multiplying the acceptation of beliefs we do not make our own. Every now and again we find ourselves lost in wonder at the marvel of the Redemption; it is a wholesome initial stage, but if it is made the final stage it is perilous. The difficulty of believing in the Redemption in the sense of assimilating it is that it demands renunciation. I have to give up my right to myself in complete surrender to my Lord before what I celebrate becomes a reality. There is always the danger of celebrating what Jesus Christ has done and forgetting the need on our part of moral surrender to Him; if we evade the surrender we become the more intense in celebrating what He has done". . O. Chambers

How very true this is in that it has been the cause for the failure of the gospel preached today. The danger being the celebration goes on as a desensitizing agency until all is, once again by corporate passivity, lost to the world and the Devil. Jesus gets replaced by books by Christian psychology authors.

Last edited:

Interplanner

But personal transformation can also be packaged so slick (here's how you get a succesful life!) that it is 'liked.' You then get what 19th century missionaries to China called rice-Christians. They would come to hear Christian teaching because rice was offered afterward.

Justification through Christ is a rock that survives the weather and storms of ideologies. It is about the debt of sin, and there is something really rugged yet constant and beautiful about that fact. It is compelling and makes people willing to leave behind false religion like Paul did with Judaism in the midst of huge cost to himself. As you can see from Gal 6:14, clinging to the cross (for justification) was precisely how he was crucified to the 'world' (religion) and the 'world' (religion) was crucified/dead to him.

Like the sun's own heat and light, they were two separate things but happened at the same time and place, or not at all.

Cross Reference

But personal transformation can also be packaged so slick (here's how you get a succesful life!) that it is 'liked.' You then get what 19th century missionaries to China called rice-Christians. They would come to hear Christian teaching because rice was offered afterward.

Justification through Christ is a rock that survives the weather and storms of ideologies. It is about the debt of sin, and there is something really rugged yet constant and beautiful about that fact. It is compelling and makes people willing to leave behind false religion like Paul did with Judaism in the midst of huge cost to himself. As you can see from Gal 6:14, clinging to the cross (for justification) was precisely how he was crucified to the 'world' (religion) and the 'world' (religion) was crucified/dead to him.

Like the sun's own heat and light, they were two separate things but happened at the same time and place, or not at all.

How true.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Celebration or surrender?
"We begin our Christian life by believing what we are told to believe, then we have to go on to so assimilate our beliefs that they work out in a way that redounds to the glory of God. The danger is in multiplying the acceptation of beliefs we do not make our own. Every now and again we find ourselves lost in wonder at the marvel of the Redemption; it is a wholesome initial stage, but if it is made the final stage it is perilous. The difficulty of believing in the Redemption in the sense of assimilating it is that it demands renunciation. I have to give up my right to myself in complete surrender to my Lord before what I celebrate becomes a reality. There is always the danger of celebrating what Jesus Christ has done and forgetting the need on our part of moral surrender to Him; if we evade the surrender we become the more intense in celebrating what He has done". . O. Chambers

How very true this is in that it has been the cause for the failure of the gospel preached today. The danger being the celebration goes on as a desensitizing agency until all is, once again by corporate passivity, lost to the world and the Devil. Jesus gets replaced by books by Christian psychology authors.

Completely NONSENSE

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The cause of failure, the reason why your generation allowed the testimony to fall, is because having entrusted our very selves to Christ. You immediately snatch back the control of it and try to achieve it in your own strength, in your own way.

The Grace way is to give all that up to Christ and to let HIM work it out in our lives.

The "holiness" way made discipleship so onerous and unbearable to folks the only disciples it produced were Elvis, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and the whole host of them...they learned their art in the holiness churches.

Cross Reference

The cause of failure, the reason why your generation allowed the testimony to fall, is because having entrusted our very selves to Christ. You immediately snatch back the control of it and try to achieve it in your own strength, in your own way.

The Grace way is to give all that up to Christ and to let HIM work it out in our lives.

The "holiness" way made discipleship so onerous and unbearable to folks the only disciples it produced were Elvis, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and the whole host of them...they learned their art in the holiness churches.

"The difficulty of believing in the Redemption in the sense of assimilating it is that it demands renunciation. I have to give up my right to myself in complete surrender to my Lord before what I celebrate becomes a reality."

Read it again, for the first time.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
"The difficulty of believing in the Redemption in the sense of assimilating it is that it demands renunciation. I have to give up my right to myself in complete surrender to my Lord before what I celebrate becomes a reality."

Read it again, for the first time.

No I read you right we are to be saved by saving ourselves, that is your way.

And then we are to be holy by making ourselves holy.

No wonder Elvis turned to rock'n'roll

Interplanner

No I read you right we are to be saved by saving ourselves, that is your way.

And then we are to be holy by making ourselves holy.

No wonder Elvis turned to rock'n'roll

There is difficulty, but the Gospel is, so to speak, romantic. People do things in response to it that they would never do otherwise. The people who are too conscious of this usually don't make good moves and bog down into petty things like not smoking.

Interplanner

"Balderdash".

OK, try it this way (the same intended meaning): a believer does the things Christ wants because he wants to. A legalist thinks he has to, and tends to reduce the 'list' to the most demonstrable things that are easiest to check off as 'Christian.'

There is no other meaning to 'the love of Christ compels us,' 2 Cor 5. It's what turns some believers into missionaries.

As for the term 'romantic' well, there's Christ and his 'wives' isn't there, in 2 Cor 11:2. And then there is the analogy of the Song of Solomon; the woman does anything for the husband because he has done everything to provide for her.

You don't sound very familiar with your Bible. Read a lot. At least 10x the amount of time you spend here.