cattyfan's POTD 5-19-09

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cattyfan

Although I don't agree with the reference to evolution, fool does a great job of pointing out why it's so bizarre (and flies in the face of what's intended) that humans have begun systematically killing their young before they're born.

I actually watch much more TV than I should...
How much smarter this generation must be growing up with the Discovery and History channels.
When I was a kid we had Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom followed by the Dukes of Hazard.
PBS had NOVA once a week (plugs nose) "billions and billions"

DNA is an interesting angle from which to aproach this. My apologies about the confusion. A beautiful presentation of evidence which I can only wish you'd have presented earlier, as I'm sure it will promote much discussion.
Realizing your partner is pregnant is supposed to set off cascades of instincts that have been placed there by billions of years of evolution.
Gather resources
Nest
Bring her more food
Protect her belly
The animals get it right but for some reason we have talked ourselves out of some of the behaviors that are the reason we're alive if all those Penguins said "screw standing around in the cold with this egg on my feet" there's be no Penguins.

Examining the evidence from a more philisophical aspect,
Oh boy

is DNA what makes us human?
You can't bring a manslaughter charge for killing a pig.

If a human could grow, but possessed no consciousness, requiring machines to live, would he be considered human?
Is he someones son?

More relevantly, being a drain on resources with no possibility of productivity, would it be ethical for the family to "pull the plug"?
It's OK to let dieing people die, but if the family thinks there's hope then we would expect that, and respect it, because it's the correct answer.
Yes, there is a very poorly disguised and somewhat inadequate metaphor here.
Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.