Catholics and Orthodox Seek Unity

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Catholics and Orthodox Seek Unity Proclaiming the Gospel Ministry] :eek:linger: "Pope Francis calls for the re-unification of Catholics and Orthodox in a message to Patriarch Bartholomew I. In his message he spoke of "the conditions necessary to journey towards re-establishing the 'full communion of faith, fraternal accord, and sacramental life which existed during the first thousand years of the life of the Church.'" The pope continued, "Having restored a relationship of love and fraternity, in a spirit of mutual trust, respect and charity, there is no longer any impediment to Eucharistic communion, which cannot be overcome through prayer, the purification of hearts, dialogue and the affirmation of truth. Indeed, where there is love in the life of the Church, its source and fulfillment is always to be found in Eucharistic love. So too the symbol of the fraternal embrace finds its most profound truth in the embrace of peace exchanged in the Eucharistic celebration. In every context of Church life, relations between Catholics and Orthodox must increasingly reflect the logic of love that leaves no room for the spirit of rivalry. Theological dialogue itself, sustained by mutual charity, must continue to examine carefully the questions which divide us, aiming always at deepening our shared understanding of revealed truth. Motivated by God's love, we must together offer the world a credible and effective witness to Christ's message of reconciliation and salvation. Read more." Pro-Gospel.org

brewmama

So what you mean is "Catholics seek unity with Orthodox", which is nothing new, Pope John Paul II wished for it too. The Orthodox are not very interested though.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So what you mean is "Catholics seek unity with Orthodox", which is nothing new, Pope John Paul II wished for it too. The Orthodox are not very interested though.

Are you a lapsed Roman Catholic? You weigh in on Rome related topics often. What does the "Christian (Other)" designation imply?

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Eastern Orthodox, which does not have its own category here, despite being the second largest church in the world.

Yes, they should have this as a category. You would be the third EO that has passed through that I recall. The most recent, Arsenious, was recently banned for spamming, so I hope you do not fall into that practice. I enjoyed most of his posts, some of which you can review here.

Go here:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Find section entitled "Custom User Title"

You can enter therein "Eastern Orthodox" if you are inclined. This will the appear immediately below your username in your posts.

This feature may or may not be available to you as some things are only available to paying subscribers. If you are not a subscriber, perhaps you will be able just add some clarifications to your signature.

AMR

Last edited:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

If the Catholics and Orthodox had not split in 1054, their combined military power might have contained and defeated Muslim expansion (Fall of Constantinople 1453), and it would have been a very different world!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

If the Catholics and Orthodox had not split in 1054, their combined military power might have contained and defeated Muslim expansion (Fall of Constantinople 1453), and it would have been a very different world!

the empire lasted one thousand years

just as it was written

rako

Yes, they should have this as a category. You would be the third EO that has passed through that I recall. The most recent, Arsenious, was recently banned for spamming, so I hope you do not fall into that practice. I enjoyed most of his posts, some of which you can review here.

Go here:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Find section entitled "Custom User Title"

You can enter therein "Eastern Orthodox" if you are inclined. This will the appear immediately below your username in your posts.

This feature may or may not be available to you as some things are only available to paying subscribers. If you are not a subscriber, perhaps you will be able just add some clarifications to your signature.

AMR
I am Eastern Orthodox too. Yes, they should have a category. There are more Eastern Orthodox in the US than followers of Judaism or of Islam. We can't have our own category?

rako

Pope Francis will want unity with Orthodox of course. But it's like a big fish swallowing a little fish. The problem for Orthodox is mainly really that the Pope believes in his own "supremacy". So by his count if you accept him, you become basically his subjects and he becomes basically your bishop. He gives you instructions and you are to obey him as far as organization and faith doctrines go.

So that is basically a nonstarter and something that Orthodox have a tough time uniting with him over. If we accept that, then basically all our major doctrinal differences with the Pope get overruled by him de facto as per the doctrine of papal Supremacy.

That is why it will be very hard for Orthodox as a Church to accept unity with the Pope.

And do you think the Pope will want to give up "Supremacy" any time soon, even for reunion with a little Church like Orthodox or Protestant Anglicans, etc.? I doubt it?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Pope Francis will want unity with Orthodox of course. But it's like a big fish swallowing a little fish. The problem for Orthodox is mainly really that the Pope believes in his own "supremacy". So by his count if you accept him, you become basically his subjects and he becomes basically your bishop. He gives you instructions and you are to obey him as far as organization and faith doctrines go.

So that is basically a nonstarter and something that Orthodox have a tough time uniting with him over. If we accept that, then basically all our major doctrinal differences with the Pope get overruled by him de facto as per the doctrine of papal Supremacy.

That is why it will be very hard for Orthodox as a Church to accept unity with the Pope.

And do you think the Pope will want to give up "Supremacy" any time soon, even for reunion with a little Church like Orthodox or Protestant Anglicans, etc.? I doubt it?

the churches do not want unity
but
some of their members do
and
all they have to do is change churches

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I don't think the Pope is looking for political power...

The two keys on the flag of the Vatican represent temporal (political) and spiritual powers. :rolleyes:

93200_NYL-GLOPAPALFFP_1_1_1.jpg

Last edited: