Capitol Police Warn Of Threat On March 4th

Right Divider

Body part
How so?
Exactly how does the government regulate health care costs?
Here is one simple example:
What Obamacare has done by requiring that everyone be charged equally is disincentivize healthy practices. For instance, as you mentioned, Obamacare banned insurers from denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions. This means that it now makes sense for me to wait until I get sick to buy insurance. I could go for decades without paying for insurance and failing to practice preventative medicine, and then, when I develop heart disease because of my diet and lifestyle, I can purchase insurance and force everyone to cover my thousands of dollars of treatment costs.
Source: https://fee.org/articles/government-makes-healthcare-worse-and-more-expensive/

expos4ever

Prices for health care are so high because the government is involved. Get the government out of it, and more people will be able to get treated for less.
What does the actual evidence indicate? From a January 2020 report from Time magazine:

Administrative costs now make up about 34% of total health care expenditures in the United States—twice the percentage Canada spends, according to a new study published Monday in Annals of Internal Medicine.

Now given the abysmal caliber of the discourse in the Politics segment at TOL. the following will perhaps ricochet off thickened skulls not unlike a bullet off a steel plate. However, just in case there are any here who are interested in a serious discussion of such matters, please consider the following:

The tidbit I have produced is not, by itself, much of a case for the merits of public health care - there are many other aspects of the problem domain to consider, not least access to care and quality of care. Likewise, for serious thinkers, the bald claim that public health care will be more expensive becuase "the guv'ment is involved" carries very little weight - yes, the absence of a profit motive and the sprawling size of government can introduce inefficiencies. But, on the other hand, the government can leverage economies of scale and purchase medicines at cheaper prices.

I believe when all factors are considered, the case for public health care is very strong indeed.

Right Divider

Body part
I could give you plenty of names for just those who stormed the capitol back in January. You're a pedant.
You are asked a simple question and yet you cannot answer it. Why not?

Here is Stripes question again: Name one American who encapsulates the right wing.

Just answer that SIMPLE question or continue to be a weasel. Your choice.

Arthur Brain

You are asked a simple question and yet you cannot answer it. Why not?

Here is Stripes question again: Name one American who encapsulates the right wing.

Just answer that SIMPLE question or continue to be a weasel. Your choice.
Wow, you really want to go down that route? Ok then, for "fun", let's just keep it to folk on this forum for now.

Jefferson, with his Q promoting thread. Bob Enyart with his absurd chart of left to right. Catholic Crusader with his practical Trump worship. Extend that snapshot into America in general and you have what encapsulates a lot of the right wing - or at least the far right at any rate. The MAGA crowd, the conspiracy theorists etc. It's all over the news each and every day and it gets to the point just what whacked out stuff is going to appear in the headlines next.

Ya happy now?

Right Divider

Body part
Wow, you really want to go down that route? Ok then, for "fun", let's just keep it to folk on this forum for now.

Jefferson, with his Q promoting thread. Bob Enyart with his absurd chart of left to right. Catholic Crusader with his practical Trump worship. Extend that snapshot into America in general and you have what encapsulates a lot of the right wing - or at least the far right at any rate. The MAGA crowd, the conspiracy theorists etc. It's all over the news each and every day and it gets to the point just what whacked out stuff is going to appear in the headlines next.

Ya happy now?
I'm always very happy, even when you miss the point.

My understanding is that Stripe is asking about someone that represents what you consider the top people in the "far right". I would not consider anyone on this site, including Bob Enyart, to actually fit that bill.

One of Stripes points is that you cannot even say "right" without saying "far right". Who are these key "radicals" on the "far right"? And why are they "far right" instead of just "right"?

Arthur Brain

I'm always very happy, even when you miss the point.

My understanding is that Stripe is asking about someone that represents what you consider the top people in the "far right". I would not consider anyone on this site, including Bob Enyart, to actually fit that bill.

One of Stripes points is that you cannot even say "right" without saying "far right". Who are these key "radicals" on the "far right"? And why are they "far right" instead of just "right"?
"Top people in the far right?" Right now, the MAGA crowd and similar encapsulate the "right" in America and the last four years have seen just how bonkers that can be.

For some on here there's no such thing as being "too far to the right" either.

Right Divider

Body part
"Top people in the far right?" Right now, the MAGA crowd and similar encapsulate the "right" in America and the last four years have seen just how bonkers that can be.

For some on here there's no such thing as being "too far to the right" either.
So again you have no real answer to the simple question.

Arthur Brain

So again you have no real answer to the simple question.
You've concocted a question that Stripe didn't specifically ask. You were answered. As of the last four years, the MAGA crowd and similar ilk like Q have encapsulated a lot of the "right wing" in America. Doesn't make everyone who's a conservative or to the right on the political spectrum the same, of course not but the scenes on the election night, subsequent and beforehand have been all over the news.

Right Divider

Body part
You've concocted a question that Stripe didn't specifically ask. You were answered. As of the last four years, the MAGA crowd and similar ilk like Q have encapsulated a lot of the "right wing" in America. Doesn't make everyone who's a conservative or to the right on the political spectrum the same, of course not but the scenes on the election night, subsequent and beforehand have been all over the news.
So you cannot name any specific people that are "far right" leaders? Just vague "MAGA crowd"...

Arthur Brain

So you cannot name any specific people that are "far right" leaders? Just vague "MAGA crowd"...
You're the one shifting the goalposts to "far right leaders" as Stripe didn't specify anything of the sort. As an encapsulation of the "right" in America then unfortunately, the MAGA crowd, QAnon conspiracy nuts and covid deniers fit that bill as has been evidenced throughout news coverage for a long time now. What, you want me to reel off the names of high ranking Republicans, senators and the like? Go take a look at the thread regarding Joseph Chaplik then.

Right Divider

Body part
You're the one shifting the goalposts to "far right leaders" as Stripe didn't specify anything of the sort.
Just asking a question.
As an encapsulation of the "right" in America then unfortunately, the MAGA crowd, QAnon conspiracy nuts and covid deniers fit that bill as has been evidenced throughout news coverage for a long time now. What, you want me to reel off the names of high ranking Republicans, senators and the like? Go take a look at the thread regarding Joseph Chaplik then.
So the tail just wags the dog... got it.

Arthur Brain

Silly as usual... you believe that the followers are leading. :ROFLMAO: 🤪🥴😂
Yes, you were being. Nowhere have I intimated that the MAGA crowd et al are "leading things" but rather that they embody a lot of the "right" in America, as we've sadly seen reported on a daily basis over the last few years. Still, you carry on with the smileys if it makes you feel good.

Derf

Which makes your country superior ...

Here we have a MINORITY of the country trying to make sure only the wealthy have access to health care.
Actually, we here have a majority of people trying to get the minority to pay for their health care. Democracy in action!!!

When a majority become thieves, thievery becomes legal. Democracy in action!!!

When a majority become unjust, justice is lost. Democracy in action!!!

Arthur Brain

Actually, we here have a majority of people trying to get the minority to pay for their health care. Democracy in action!!!

When a majority become thieves, thievery becomes legal. Democracy in action!!!

When a majority become unjust, justice is lost. Democracy in action!!!
So, do you consider a health care service that encompasses all citizens to be able to avail themselves of its services, regardless of wealth to be some sort of 'thievery' in itself?

Derf

So, do you consider a health care service that encompasses all citizens to be able to avail themselves of its services, regardless of wealth to be some sort of 'thievery' in itself?
What is the health care service? Food? Yes, if the service is made available by taking from one by force to give to another. Thievery is not the only option, of course. Extortion is another possibility, like "pay for John Doe's medical bills, or I'll put you in jail." But it's pretty much the same thing.

It isn't just.

That doesn't mean the supposed alternative is just, either. For instance, if there were no Obamacare, or medicare, or Bush prescription drug plan, would it be ok if everyone (or anyone) decided not to help the widow or the orphan to have food? No.
Nations have been, and will continue to be, judged for such.
But is it ok to commit a greater wrong to correct a lesser evil?

Tell me, do you have church-owned hospitals in your country? We used to. I'm not sure we do anymore. I was born in a Methodist hospital. My daughter was born in a Catholic hospital. Neither are still church-owned. The government has deprived Christian churches of the blessing of helping others, while arguably ruining American healthcare. The ruination isn't complete yet, but it's getting close. I was denied healthcare for my daughter last week because I wouldn't agree to commit fraud.