ECT Can God's grace be earned, merited or deserved?

Can God's grace be earned, merited or deserved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How did Noah find grace in the eyes of the Lord?

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Danoh

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

His had been the opposite of Genesis 6:5. His had been that of...

Proverbs 3:

5. Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Genesis 6:

5. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

8. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
9. These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

Hebrews 11:

7. By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

revpete

Hi,

Isn't the answer found in the meaning of the word grace itself?

Pete 👤

nikolai_42

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Romans 11:6

Doesn't that verse pretty much settle the matter?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NO. God's grace is a gift given to the folks who he wishes.

However he has rules, if you love me keep my commandments.

They are kept in the spirit from the heart.

You need more options in your poll.

Why more options? Is there a maybe in there somewhere? Grace is either a gift or it's not.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Do you claim the assurance of salvation or the certainty of salvation?

Why do people stumble over this?....show me where God ever chose for man to sin? show me where He ever chose to damn anyone?

It was MAN who chose....we were all in Adam, we fell when he fell.

Be absolutely certain of this, if it had been us in Eden, we would have fallen, every time we sin we PROVE that we are children of Adam, sinners.

So we are all lost, all worthy to be damned.

I don't get hung up, I know I got saved, I since learned that God ALWAYS loved me, ALWAYS intended to save me and to me it's the sweetest thing in the world, even in eternity God knew me and intended that I should be His.

Why people vex themselves over this is a matter of great amazement to me.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why more options? Is there a maybe in there somewhere? Grace is either a gift or it's not.

If it is only a gift given with no responsibility required to retain it then what is this---

Jas 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
Jas 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
Jas 4:11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
Jas 4:12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

LA

musterion

If it is only a gift given with no responsibility required to retain it then what is this---

Jas 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
Jas 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
Jas 4:11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
Jas 4:12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

LA

Ta-da.

W2G, this is why.

musterion

Grace Not Earned
by Pastor Cornelius R. Stam
Have you ever noticed that God does not hold the great men of Scripture up to us because of their personal goodness? Almost invariably their records are marred by failure and sin, but God bids us look at their faith, to see what their faith did for them. Even those who lived consistently good lives are not held up to us for their personal worth, because God knows their imperfections. Thus Romans 4:2,3 says:

“For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory – but not before God. For what saith the Scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.”

And Verse 6 goes on to say about David:

“Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works.”

This is because man cannot live a life good enough to make him acceptable to God, for with God only perfection is good enough. One sin spoiled the earth; God will not allow one sin to spoil heaven too. This is why in grace He gave Christ to die for our sins and to pay the just penalty for us. Because of the all-sufficient payment of Christ in our behalf, God can now be
“just, and the Justifier” of those who place their faith in Christ (Romans 3:26).

The famous eleventh chapter of Paul’s letter to the Hebrews bears out the fact that salvation, or acceptance with God, is obtained not by human effort but by faith. This great chapter on the heroes in God’s “Hall of Fame,” begins with the words: “For by it [faith] the elders obtained a good report,”and then goes on: “By faith Abel …,” “By faith Enoch…,” “By faith Noah…,” “By faith Abraham…,” etc., and closes with the declaration:

“…these all…obtained a good report through faith…”

genuineoriginal

Proverbs 3:34
34 Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly.​

James 4:6
6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.​

1 Peter 5:5
5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.​

God's Grace cannot be earned through works.
Only God can determine who has merited or deserves His Grace, and one of the things He uses in that determination is whether a person has humbled himself.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Proverbs 3:34
34 Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly.​

James 4:6
6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.​

1 Peter 5:5
5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.​

God's Grace cannot be earned through works.
Only God can determine who has merited or deserves His Grace, and one of the things He uses in that determination is whether a person has humbled himself.

Yes, men hide their lack of humility by claiming they do not have to.
They think the Lord did everything for them at the cross, and God requires nothing of them at all, except believe their doctrine.

Psa 50:16 But unto the wicked God saith, What hast thou to do to declare my statutes, or that thou shouldest take my covenant in thy mouth?
Psa 50:17 Seeing thou hatest instruction, and castest my words behind thee.
Psa 50:18 When thou sawest a thief, then thou consentedst with him, and hast been partaker with adulterers.
Psa 50:19 Thou givest thy mouth to evil, and thy tongue frameth deceit.
Psa 50:20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.
Psa 50:21 These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.
Psa 50:22 Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver.
Psa 50:23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.
LA