CA declaring a state of emergency

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Do you know how much water we could have if it weren't for the environmentalist whackos? Saudi Arabia has desalinization plants all along their coasts, and they have turned a desert into lush green lands. But we can't do that; we might hurt some freekin' sea snail or guppy of rare seaweed!!

im_106.jpg

23,500 ton/day x 20 units = total 470,000 ton/day
MSF Desalination plant
(1983 Saline Water Conversion Corp. Al Jubail, Phase II Saudi Arabia)

img2.jpg

The Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) has several water
treatment plants across Saudi Arabia.

zoo22

There are desalinization plants being built. Carlbad's going to have the biggest desalinization plant in the western world, and there are a number of others in the works. Currently, ocean desalinization costs twice as much more than importing water. So for the Carlsbad plant, San Diego had to agree to pay twice as much money for water than they're paying now until the plant hopefully becomes workable financially, which it might not. But look on the bright side: that gives you an opportunity to squawk about government spending.

There are places that had the green light for desalinization and passed because the numbers didn't add up. The plants take a huge amount of power to run, and no one's certain yet if the desalinization plants will be able to beat their electricity costs. Hopefully they will.

Also, it's not guppies. Do you realize how massive an impact a desalinization plant has (that's rhetorical; I know you don't). The desalinization plant being developed in Huntington Beach is expected to wipe out hundreds of millions of fish up to 100 miles off the coast. That's not guppies, and it's not wacko to be concerned about it.

But anyway, those plants won't be finished and functioning this year. And right now, California is facing it's driest year in over 150 years, and that's a good reason to say that the state's facing an emergency and ask that people try to voluntarily cut water consumption by 20%. Maybe the state's not on fire, but I think there are a few farmers in what's one of America's largest agricultural economies that are feeling like it's an emergency. But whatever, just ask Jabin; a wildfire's good for cleaning the forests. He saw it on an after-school special.

Last edited:

The Berean

You're a buffoon, Jabin. Seriously. You've already explained how you think like a monkey; there's no need for you to drive the point in further.

For everyone else: California has droughts. They're not uncommon. Neither are wildfires. But this past year has been least yearly rain in over 150 years. The reservoirs are very low. California has big devastating wildfires sometimes, that aren't always contained to the forest. They wipe out neighborhoods and people and businesses. Last year there were big wildfires, and water to contain them was a serious problem. The state is on high alert for wildfires right now. The governor wants to cut water consumption by 20%. Apparently, some people think that a state has to be completely waterless and in flames to declare a state of emergency? That's absurd. But I'm sending a letter to the governor suggesting that we can collect the drool that's drizzling down Jabin's chin and use that to combat wildfires. I suspect there's an endless stream.
I live in the Silicon Valley and its' been a bone dry winter so far. It rained one night about 2-3 weeks ago and that's it so far. Today it felt like a warm spring day in May. My wife and I are making a conscious effort to reduce our water use by taking quick showers and reducing our use of water when we wash dishes and brush our teeth. I hope t he rain comes soon. :rain:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You must be pretty young to ask that question. America today is nothing like the America when I was a kid.

After thinking about how things have changed just since i was a child to how they are now, i asked my mother for her opinion on when the downward spiral in society here started and she said with one event, the removal of prayer in schools.

Do you agree?

Jabin

Yeah, the government's incompetent for asking for water consumption cut by 20% in the driest season in over 150 years, and considering it as an emergency situation.

I get it... You're the twit who didn't want the levees repaired because it wasn't raining that day.

Zoo, you can't even accept that randomly opening 2 of 3 doors gives someone 2/3 chance of opening the correct door. I guess that's why you can't understand the simple point this drought was a long time in the making and this emergency is nothing but a failure of California to plan ahead. They could have started long ago by increasing their water capacity. And, they had another chance when this drought started, by promoting water rationing before it got bad enough to declare an emergency.

And, you call me a twit and say I'm is arguing that I didn't want levees repaired because it wasn't raining. You couldn't be any more backwards if you tried. The incompetent liberal government didn't repair the levee because it wasn't raining. and, now that it is raining, they're declaring a flood emergency.

You're always totally backwards.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
California droughts are periodic and increasing urbanization itself reduces rainfall. There's no emergency, just incompetence in state planning.

Unless you live here I couldn't care less what you think. I've lived here my entire life. I've lived through drought and wildfires that killed a girl in my son's class because the fire roared through at 4 in the morning and they couldn't get to all the rural houses in time to warn them. There were 15 people killed, 2200+ homes destroyed and over a quarter million acres burned in that fire alone. Don't talk to me about the "occasional fire." Fires in the Southland four years later destroyed 1500+ homes and killed another 9 people. You show me that you know jack about what it's like to live in California wildfire country and maybe I'll care what you have to say.

As for drought, it's an ongoing problem because we're semi-arid in much of the state. You know nothing about water conservation here or you'd know it's been ongoing, and anyway you'd be the first to cry about bars cages and laws if someone came along and told you you couldn't use the water you wanted to use. So go find some other subject where you don't know anything either, like wives who should be able to handle "a few bruises" or whatever.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
After thinking about how things have changed just since i was a child to how they are now, i asked my mother for her opinion on when the downward spiral in society here started and she said with one event, the removal of prayer in schools.

Do you agree?

I would say it is definitely around that time frame, and that the actual removal was a factor.

But I think the main factor was the post-war economic boom & affluence. Humans seem to excel under difficult times, and get apathetic during good times. With the great wealth increase of the average American in the 50's and 60's came a lot of free time, recreation, and so forth. God seems to often take a back seat to such things with many people. And then, with each succeeding generation the apathy toward church and God just increases exponentially.

Look at the young people in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's. You can see with each generation further movement away from traditional values to a more debased immoral outlook.

And today it is worse than ever. Just look at the horrific things that kids today believe and do. And the worst part is that many of these things are encouraged by leftists and liberals in this country. Liberals are the manifistation of evil in our nation today. It took several generations for it to bloom, but it has bloomed.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Do you know how much water we could have if it weren't for the environmentalist whackos? Saudi Arabia has desalinization plants all along their coasts, and they have turned a desert into lush green lands. But we can't do that; we might hurt some freekin' sea snail or guppy of rare seaweed!!

im_106.jpg

23,500 ton/day x 20 units = total 470,000 ton/day
MSF Desalination plant
(1983 Saline Water Conversion Corp. Al Jubail, Phase II Saudi Arabia)

img2.jpg

The Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) has several water
treatment plants across Saudi Arabia.

There are desalinization plants being built........

A plant here and there is meaningless. We need many plants along the California coast and the EPA & their extremist friends on the left will never allow it, just as they won't allow new nuclear power plants and have shut down existing ones.

Environmentalist extremists do not care about human suffering; they think humans are the problem!! They have gone lightyears beyond the basic issues of clean air and clean water and are no better than economic terrorists now.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Another too-warm, too dry winter in California - not enough rain and not enough snow.

NASA: California Tuolumne Snowpack 40 Percent of Worst Year

New NASA data find the snowpack in the Tuolumne River Basin in California's Sierra Nevada -- a major source of water for millions of Californians -- currently contains just 40 percent as much water as it did near this time at its highest level of 2014, one of the two driest years in California's recorded history.

California Gov. Jerry Brown ordered officials Wednesday to impose statewide mandatory water restrictions for the first time in history as surveyors found the lowest snow level in the Sierra Nevada snowpack in 65 years of record-keeping... The snow survey on Wednesday showed the statewide snowpack is equivalent to just 5 percent of the historical average for April 1 and the lowest for that date since the state began record-keeping in 1950.

rexlunae

Another too-warm, too dry winter in California - not enough rain and not enough snow.

NASA: California Tuolumne Snowpack 40 Percent of Worst Year

New NASA data find the snowpack in the Tuolumne River Basin in California's Sierra Nevada -- a major source of water for millions of Californians -- currently contains just 40 percent as much water as it did near this time at its highest level of 2014, one of the two driest years in California's recorded history.

California Gov. Jerry Brown ordered officials Wednesday to impose statewide mandatory water restrictions for the first time in history as surveyors found the lowest snow level in the Sierra Nevada snowpack in 65 years of record-keeping... The snow survey on Wednesday showed the statewide snowpack is equivalent to just 5 percent of the historical average for April 1 and the lowest for that date since the state began record-keeping in 1950.

I think we're in really big trouble, water-wise. We're going to have to really start shutting down some of the state's agriculture, which is going to be felt everywhere. Unfortunately, what Governor Brown is doing is way too little, way too late, and it's also punishing the cities for a problem that the farms must eventually bear. That's not an easy call to make, and he may not even have the legal authority to do much more, but the timetable he's established for water conservation has a literal 25-year implementation phase, and we could start really running out of water next year. There may be nothing to conserve by the time we get there.

The Berean

I live in the Silicon Valley and its' been a bone dry winter so far. It rained one night about 2-3 weeks ago and that's it so far. Today it felt like a warm spring day in May. My wife and I are making a conscious effort to reduce our water use by taking quick showers and reducing our use of water when we wash dishes and brush our teeth. I hope t he rain comes soon. :rain:

Wow, nothing changed this past winter. We had a big four day storm around December 14, 2014 (which is technically before Winter started) and we had a big 2-3 day storm the first week of February 2015. Then it rained for about an hour about three weeks ago. And that was it for rain in my neck of the woods. January 2015 was the driest January on record. :noid:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Wow, nothing changed this past winter. We had a big four day storm around December 14, 2014 (which is technically before Winter started) and we had a big 2-3 day storm the first week of February 2015. Then it rained for about an hour about three weeks ago. And that was it for rain in my neck of the woods. January 2015 was the driest January on record. :noid:

We had the hottest March since they began keeping records.

PureX

Last year I lived in the snowiest city in the U.S., this year it was the coldest winter on record, here. Many nights into the teens and twenties below zero.

It seems that they weather is becoming more and more extreme. Which is exactly what climatologists predict to happen when we increase the amount of energy in the Earth's atmosphere by one 2%.

By the way "heat" is energy. Global warming means there is an increase in the energy in the Earth's atmosphere, which would logically manifest an more extreme weather phenomena.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Prayers will be needed for California this year. There is no water to grow much in the way of crops that most of the nation depend on. If there is no water for crops, there is no water to fight fires.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I think we're in really big trouble, water-wise. We're going to have to really start shutting down some of the state's agriculture, which is going to be felt everywhere. Unfortunately, what Governor Brown is doing is way too little, way too late, and it's also punishing the cities for a problem that the farms must eventually bear. That's not an easy call to make, and he may not even have the legal authority to do much more, but the timetable he's established for water conservation has a literal 25-year implementation phase, and we could start really running out of water next year. There may be nothing to conserve by the time we get there.

No, it's not an easy call to make. Agriculture uses over 70% of the state's water, but look at how much food California produces, it's staggering. It would be tough to underestimate the impact. But you go through areas like the Imperial Valley and you know they're living on borrowed water and it's only a matter of time.

desert-agriculture-imperial-valley-california.jpg