By January 1/2 of UK households in fuel poverty

Gary K

Banned
Then sanctions AB is gung ho about will be putting half the households in the UK in poverty, Yup, Gotta punish Putin by driving yourself into poverty.

Arthur Brain

Then sanctions AB is gung ho about will be putting half the households in the UK in poverty, Yup, Gotta punish Putin by driving yourself into poverty.

"Gung ho" about?

For starters, the rise in energy prices over here isn't solely down to Russia's invasion of the Ukraine so for once, stop apologizing for the Russian despot. Prices have risen, they're set to go up again in October and come January it's gonna be even less fun and I'm one of those households affected. There's more than one factor and frankly, no fan of how this has been handled. The UK has had ample time to have measures in place for an economic crisis.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not just the idiots in Britain

BERLIN—“It’s going to be a choice many of us will have to face when winter comes: freeze or starve.”

Gary K

Banned
Not just the idiots in Britain

BERLIN—“It’s going to be a choice many of us will have to face when winter comes: freeze or starve.”

I can't remember which eastern European country it is but they are ignoring the sanctions and buying Russian gas anyway. Their attitude is that they didn't agree with the sanctions to begin with so they aren't going to suffer along with the guilty.

Gary K

Banned
The effects on Britain are just starting. Their economy will completely collapse in a very short time. The suffering there is going to be intense and it is going to hit here soon too. No one alive has ever seen what is going to happen. There will be no more credit for anyone so nothing will move.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
This is America but it seems to fit in this thread

... for some 22,000 Xcel Energy customers in Colorado who wanted to be a little more comfortable on Tuesday when the thermometer was pegged at 90+ degrees, a bizarre message flashed on their thermostats indicating they’d lost the ability to control the temperature in their own homes.

According to KMGH-TV, “Energy Emergency” was part of the message that flashed on thermostats as temperatures skyrocketed and Xcel customers desperately tried to crank the A/C.

“Temperature locked temporarily during energy emergency. Due to a rare energy emergency that may affect the local energy grid, your temperature slider has been changed from 8:00 pm – 8:00 pm because you enrolled in a Community Energy Savings Program,” the full message read.

Gary K

Banned

... for some 22,000 Xcel Energy customers in Colorado who wanted to be a little more comfortable on Tuesday when the thermometer was pegged at 90+ degrees, a bizarre message flashed on their thermostats indicating they’d lost the ability to control the temperature in their own homes.

According to KMGH-TV, “Energy Emergency” was part of the message that flashed on thermostats as temperatures skyrocketed and Xcel customers desperately tried to crank the A/C.

“Temperature locked temporarily during energy emergency. Due to a rare energy emergency that may affect the local energy grid, your temperature slider has been changed from 8:00 pm – 8:00 pm because you enrolled in a Community Energy Savings Program,” the full message read.
With the new "smart meters" this is going to be sop. Your electricity will be cut off by the meter if you have an old manual thermostat or old manually controlled water heaters. This is going to be government control of every part of our lives. The only way to get away from it is to go off grid and use wood heat.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Had a similar system on my A/C and Hot Water Heater when I first bought the house...Shockingly easy to circumvent. :D

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
With the new "smart meters" this is going to be sop. Your electricity will be cut off by the meter if you have an old manual thermostat or old manually controlled water heaters. This is going to be government control of every part of our lives. The only way to get away from it is to go off grid and use wood heat.
Provided you have an EPA approved stove. :rolleyes:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When our old meter was exchanged for the smart one, I mentioned to the installer this would be used to shut off people's power for political reasons. He laughed pretty hard and agreed with me because most people he was installing the new meters at thought the smart meters could only be used at their will and lowered costs. He showed me the contract that said the company could only turn off power remotely in an unoccupied house, but then added that this was an amendment in a long line of amendments so they could change the contract at any time to whatever they wanted. He was a good guy and said he had contingency plans in his own house not for accidental power outages, but also for forced outages - and suggested I do the same.

Gary K

Banned
When our old meter was exchanged for the smart one, I mentioned to the installer this would be used to shut off people's power for political reasons. He laughed pretty hard and agreed with me because most people he was installing the new meters at thought the smart meters could only be used at their will and lowered costs. He showed me the contract that said the company could only turn off power remotely in an unoccupied house, but then added that this was an amendment in a long line of amendments so they could change the contract at any time to whatever they wanted. He was a good guy and said he had contingency plans in his own house not for accidental power outages, but also for forced outages - and suggested I do the same.
Doesn't surprise me at all as there are decent people in all walks of life.

The guy that installed the smart meters here lied to me when I asked if the landlord had ok'ed it , He said she had requested it. I asked her about it later and she knew nothing about it. Nobody had said anything to her.

eider

Take it! You'd take a beer off him, surely?
An old friend of mine has always sat on the bus with a book on cold days. He's really worried now because he knows that the buses are going to be crammed full after 0930hrs. :)

Gary K

Banned
Take it! You'd take a beer off him, surely?
An old friend of mine has always sat on the bus with a book on cold days. He's really worried now because he knows that the buses are going to be crammed full after 0930hrs. :)
It's always the poor and the elderly who pay the steepest price for the sins of the corrupt politicians. It is going to be the same way here. :mad: