Business Man versus Politico as President

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Okay, its not a headline. But, I am intrigued by Donald Trump as President. He is not a political animal, that should be painfully obvious by now, he is a business man. Politics as usual has left this country in some pretty dire straights. More politics wont change that and will most likely only make things worse. But what if a business man were in charge? How might things be different? We may never know.,

glassjester

You'd have to be a politician to win a political contest (election), right?

So for a non-politician to win, they'd have to become a politician.
I think you're right - we'll never know.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You'd have to be a politician to win a political contest (election), right?

So for a non-politician to win, they'd have to become a politician.
I think you're right - we'll never know.
That is why I am so intrigued. To win, he would have to learn and play in the political arena. But unlike a career politician, his back ground is business, not winning elections. So once elected, would he be able to hold to the rules of business or would he succumb to the political pressures of Washington.

Quetzal

I would trust him to balance my checkbook but I would not trust him to enter diplomatic meetings with Russia, China, etc.

sofatheologe

I don't think it is often the president himself that does diplomacy though. Generally others are appointed to do that. Or am I mistaken?

If my thinking is correct it could be an asset that Trump is a businessman. He would select people that would be qualified and capable of negotiating and getting the results he would want instead of surrounding himself with those whose only qualification is that they helped him get elected.

Quetzal

I don't think it is often the president himself that does diplomacy though. Generally others are appointed to do that. Or am I mistaken?

If my thinking is correct it could be an asset that Trump is a businessman. He would select people that would be qualified and capable of negotiating and getting the results he would want instead of surrounding himself with those whose only qualification is that they helped him get elected.
You... still have to show up. There are other people you can appoint but you still meet with the leaders of other countries.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
just try to imagine trump with his finger on the button

you're fired

there are a lot of idiots out there

perot proved that

do we need to do this again?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you need insight when something isn't clear, watch the demon possessed to see how they react to a candidate.

The list would be the usual suspects on TOL like Rusha, Barbie, now shaggy, quip, the batman cross dresser......

Look at what they say about Ted Cruz. Ted Cruz actually fights back against Obama, and that is what they don't want so they vilify him.

But rusha is pro-life without exception, right? Even though she supports politicians that put forth baby murdering policy.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you need insight when something isn't clear, watch the demon possessed to see how they react to a candidate.

The list would be the usual suspects on TOL like Rusha, Barbie, now shaggy, quip, the batman cross dresser......

Look at what they say about Ted Cruz. Ted Cruz actually fights back against Obama, and that is what they don't want so they vilify him.

But rusha is pro-life without exception, right? Even though she supports politicians that put forth baby murdering policy.

:yawn: Nice try, nicky ... but your assumptions and dishonesty do not equate to a rational argument. Outside of Reagan, I have never stated who I voted for OR who I will be voting for ... because frankly, it's none of your business.

rexlunae

I don't understand why so many people like the idea of a businessperson as President. The government isn't a business, and shouldn't be run like one. And a lot of the businesspeople who run for office are often successful because they're proven willing to destroy companies in order to enrich themselves (Trump, Fiorina, Romney...), which doesn't seem like a positive trait in a political leader.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Well, he's not going to win the Presidency with 20% of the GOP vote, and I think there's a large block of GOP voters who would never vote for him. I think what's going on is that his opponents are splitting the non-Trump vote 15 ways, whereas he has a block of relative loyalists.

it is hard to believe
but
you are smarter than 30% of the republicans

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I don't understand why so many people like the idea of a businessperson as President. The government isn't a business, and shouldn't be run like one. And a lot of the businesspeople who run for office are often successful because they're proven willing to destroy companies in order to enrich themselves (Trump, Fiorina, Romney...), which doesn't seem like a positive trait in a political leader.
Maybe it should be run a bit more like a business. Business has to run on balanced books. If they are in the red to long, they fail.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Maybe it should be run a bit more like a business. Business has to run on balanced books. If they are in the red to long, they fail.

You mean a psychopathic entity dedicated only to its survival, bottom line, and the benefit of its stockholders, at the expense of everything and everyone else?

Yeah, sounds pretty much like the status quo to me.

THall

just try to imagine trump with his finger on the button

you're fired

there are a lot of idiots out there

perot proved that

do we need to do this again?

Tell me you are not that naive about the
process by which nukes are launched
by the U.S. Department of Defense?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You mean a psychopathic entity dedicated only to its survival, bottom line, and the benefit of its stockholders, at the expense of everything and everyone else?

Yeah, sounds pretty much like the status quo to me.
Well, every president since and including Regan have driven the country deeper and deeper into debt. Maybe if somebody can quit racking up the debt then we could start paying it off.

Insanity: Do the same thing over and over in hopes that you will get a different result. I vote to try something different. Better or not remains to be determined, but it is at least different.

Quetzal

Well, every president since and including Regan have driven the country deeper and deeper into debt. Maybe if somebody can quit racking up the debt then we could start paying it off.

Insanity: Do the same thing over and over in hopes that you will get a different result. I vote to try something different. Better or not remains to be determined, but it is at least different.
Do you really think balancing the budget of single largest entity in the world is as simple as balancing a business ledger?