Bush Among Biggest Spending Presidents

drbrumley

Bush Among Biggest Spending Presidents
by Chuck Baldwin
October 14, 2005

After nearly five years in office, the record is clear: President George W. Bush ranks among the biggest spending presidents in American history! With such a record, no person can honestly categorize G.W. Bush as a fiscal conservative. By comparison, Dubya's spending habits make Bill Clinton look like a conservative!

Writing for the Financial Times (7/15/05), Jim Cooper stated, "President George W. Bush has failed to impose discipline on congressional spending. His Republican Congress has, unsurprisingly, become headstrong and spendthrift as a result."

Cooper continued by saying, "Mr. Bush is the first US president since James Garfield in 1881 to accept every bill that Congress sends him as if it were perfect. And Garfield only served six months in office."

Again, Cooper wrote, "Most of the strong presidents in American history vetoed dozens, sometimes hundreds, of bills. Mr. Bush has vetoed none."

Beyond that, according to Stephen Slivinski of the libertarian Cato Institute, "[President] Bush has presided over the largest overall increase in inflation-adjusted federal spending since Lyndon B. Johnson. Even after excluding spending on defense and homeland security, Mr. Bush is still the biggest-spending president in 30 years." However, the story is even worse than that.

Jim Cooper notes that "Not only has Mr. Bush failed to veto any legislation, he has not rescinded any outlays. This lesser-known power has been used by every president since Richard Nixon except, again, for George W. Bush. Rescissions allow presidents to cut any spending programmes within larger bills as long as simple majorities in both Houses of Congress agree.

"Although this White House pretends it is powerless, former president Bill Clinton sought to rescind 163 spending items totaling $6.6 billion, and won 111 from a divided Congress, saving $3.6 billion. Mr. Bush's father tried to rescind 169 items totaling $13.3 billion, winning 34 from a divided Congress, saving $2.3 billion. The champion is Ronald Reagan, who tried to cut 602 spending items costing $43.4 billion and won 214, again from a divided Congress, thus saving $15.6 billion."

Cooper summarized by saying, "Mr. Bush has rescinded no programmes, saving no dollars, despite complete Republican control of Congress. The fiscal consequences of one-party government are dire. Today, there is no adult supervision of Congress. No wonder congressional 'earmarks'-pork-barrel spending in a member's own state or district-have multiplied to almost $24 billion annually. Mr. Bush is aiding and abetting the most expensive political logrolling in American history."

There can now be no argument on the subject. Anyone attempting to claim that G.W. Bush and the Republicans in Congress believe in limiting government spending is pixilated! George Bush consumes tax dollars the way he once consumed booze! And, on the whole, his Republican buddies in Congress are perhaps even bigger spending sops than he is! They don't belong in Washington; they belong in SA (Spenders Anonymous).

----------------------

Thanks Chuck.

Dear Mr. Bush, learn how to balance a checkbook please.

Army of One

What a shame. This is one of my biggest problems with the Republican party. They pretend to be fiscally conservative, but only act so when they are the minority and they're trying to stop Democrats from being irresponsible with tax money.

Not surprising to me. Probably the single largest reason why I didn't vote Bush in 04 was because the man is a spendthrift - and can't control the size of the federal government. I think there are many conservatives who will not vote in 08 because of what Bush has done.

Mr. 5020

Just a question. Is it possible that being faced with 9/11, the defensive efforts that ensued, Hurricane Charley, Hurricane Katrina, and Hurricane Rita had anything to do with his spending?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
Just a question. Is it possible that being faced with 9/11, the defensive efforts that ensued, Hurricane Charley, Hurricane Katrina, and Hurricane Rita had anything to do with his spending?
Well, yes they of course contributed, but Katrina and Rita are too recent to even see the effects of them financially. Not all the blame can be put on 9/11, the war, and the hurricanes. I don't think Bush ever turns down a bill.

Mr. 5020

kmoney said:
Well, yes they of course contributed, but Katrina and Rita are too recent to even see the effects of them financially. Not all the blame can be put on 9/11, the war, and the hurricanes. I don't think Bush ever turns down a bill.
:think:

If I find a bill he's turned down, will you retract your statement?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
:think:

If I find a bill he's turned down, will you retract your statement?
No. You think I'll change my statements just because some "facts" are brought to my attention?? :)

David2

BANNED
Banned
presidents ________-don't make decisions , big ones that is , it's the cronies and under cover scyohants

son't you remember when the big thing was reaction to 911, who was the geogie's spokesman?

ARIEL FLEISHER STEIN _______he knew everthing, all the ins and outs of all the going ons in iraq egypt, iran, and where did he areil get all his insight from ?____________more of the same and the
FEAR AND A NXIETY WAS MOUNTING IN ARIEL ______SHARONSKY LAND OF ARIELS

So suddenly it was maddman saddam the oil king and wide open "NEW DESERT CITY PLAN OF AMERICAN BOYS TO HAVE AN ARMY BASE TO PROTECT ________

ARIEL _____________ONSKY STEIN LAND chosen people of God, bush pepperstein camp david cronies and Greenspan Waters FROM INVASION BY radical muslims ______da

in the wonderful well written,document of WWMD, for the bully pulpit, texas, scarred, newly elected, heathen president, Bushwater. to all the heathen freedom fighters and liberally exploited white and trash americans for the follywood sycophants and their Hampton retreats > lololol.

peace in the midle east at a cost of __________________heathens to protect and guard the chosen ones.

oh well, i've written better conspiracy theories,
but this one is just a to tickle the feet a little1

please don't boot me, sir ,
~~~~~~~~~~i'm just lonely boy, lonely and true, i need nobody, to call on the phone , i'm just a soldier , a lonely soldier , away from home with One love of My own.~~~~~?~~~

bobby vintonless 1958

rerecorded in studio ONE by the big Guy Himself.