BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKevman

Redfin said:
PK's very next post...

Should I beware of being in league with you, PK? :think:

Maybe you should attempt at making sense. Red77 copied Dave Miller's lies so that even though I have him on ignore I would have to read them. I am not sure what exactly you were trying to prove in your post. My point stands. Dave Miller is a liar and if you want to be in league with liars go for it. I don't lie. I'm gonna stay with Jesus thank you very much. And the Lord Jesus Christ taught very explicitly that there is in fact an eternal punishment for the wicked unredeemed. It's too bad you are too blinded to listen to His words.

Redfin

PastorKevin said:
I am not sure what exactly you were trying to prove in your post.

It just seemed to me to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Besides, ignoring, neg-repping and name-calling is simply the last refuge of those without the wherewithal to offer anything of substance.

:think:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Redfin said:
Besides, ignoring, neg-repping and name-calling is simply the last refuge of those without the wherewithal to offer anything of substance.
Loser

Aimiel

Redfin said:
Not me. When I read many posts, my first inclination is to name-call, ignore or neg-rep someone who disagrees with me; but thank God I'm able to resist the temptation (most of the time). My last resort is to put the person on ignore, but I have only ever ignored about three people, and the longest of those was about three weeks. I found that having somone on ignore causes me to be more interested in what they're saying, and found myself trying to read everything the person posted in every thread I saw their name in. Funny how the human mind works, isn't it? It's always funny to see how many universalists are always focused on eternal torment and trying to force their mindset on others and explain our behavior with their own perverted theology.

logos_x

Aimiel said:
Not me. When I read many posts, my first inclination is to name-call, ignore or neg-rep someone who disagrees with me; but thank God I'm able to resist the temptation (most of the time). My last resort is to put the person on ignore, but I have only ever ignored about three people, and the longest of those was about three weeks. I found that having somone on ignore causes me to be more interested in what they're saying, and found myself trying to read everything the person posted in every thread I saw their name in. Funny how the human mind works, isn't it? It's always funny to see how many universalists are always focused on eternal torment and trying to force their mindset on others and explain our behavior with their own perverted theology.

Or vice-versa...;)

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
For the record, I never said Universalism wasn't around in the early days of the church. It was there just as Gnosticism, and many other false teachings. Sure you can find quotes that show it was there. But the bottom line is what does the Bible say? I simply showed the quotes of some of the early Christians (such as Polycarp-and again how could John's disciple have gotten John's teaching wrong?) to refute the idea that Universalism attempts to foist on people that the early Christians did not believe in eternal punishment. Your whole argument about the way the modern Bibles are translated is that they are not based on what the Apostles ACTUALLY taught. And YET when you read statements such as Polycarp's you find them to be in line with what the modern Bible translations say.

Universalism is false teaching and always has been, and always will be. And when the end comes, all who doubted God's Word will see that it was exactly right about the judgment. I for one am not going to stop warning people to stay away from eternity apart from God in the Lake of Fire. You can accuse me of being close-minded all you like, but I have searched the Scriptures, I have read and heard your arguments and I have given them consideration. They do not match what the Bible says and I will never accept Universalism.

It is obvious that we are not going to convince each other at this juncture, but I still pray that someday you will come back and reconsider the things I have said to you Stephen.

God bless!

Well...I don't think the ones I quoted were gnostics. And universal salvation was the majority belief for at least the first 500 years. I've provided some evidence that this is the case. And...since no one even tried to refute the restitution of all things until after the Roman Church began to do so systematically, I don't think your camp's view on history is accurate...I think it is spun by those that were enforcing their views upon other Christians.

But...you're right, we obviously aren't going to convince each other now... and I also pray that you will reconsider the things I've said to you.

God bless you Kevin.

Ecumenicist

Lets recap, and please, correct what I get wrong:

Dave: 2 Cor 5:18
PK: only applies to people already saved
Dave: But it says the whole world, and forgetting our sins
PK: Doesn't matter doesn't apply.
Dave: Would you cast your own children in a lake of fire?
PK: Doesn't apply, not God's children
Dave: Was Adam God's child?
PK: No answer
Dave: Would you disown your children and cast them out?
PK: Doesn't apply, only the saved are God's children (i.e. no answer)
Dave: What about Cain? And Abrahan? And David? And Saul (Paul)?
PK: No answer
Dave: Why would God send Jesus to die for unsaved people who aren't His children?
PK: I'm ignoring you.

Now, from the others side:

PK: Lake of fire is eternal
Dave: I agree, just as God's Grace is eternal. Maybe there's a connection there!
PK: People not written in the book are cast into the lake
Dave: I agree, that's what Scripture says. Couldn't God's Grace look like fire to the unsaved? Isn't there a flaming sword seperatign us from paradise? This interpretation
would seem to preserve teh loving , Graceful aspect of God in scripture as well.
PK: People cast into the fire never emerge from the fire
Dave: I agree. If they are purified, wouldn't they stay in the presence of God, never
emerging from God's presence?

I haven't refuted any scripture. I've worked towards an interpretation which accomodates
ALL scripture.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
...and now... for something completely different!

Scripture

In John:
Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.

In Matthew
Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels

In 2 Thessalonians
This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed.

red77

PastorKevin said:
For instance the quote that Red so happily copied for Dave is filled with a couple of lies. First of all I have always insisted that the WHOLE Bible be taken and not just isolated verses pulled out of context. Have I not?
I have never once said that there were only "PK approved" verses, but rather I believe that ALL of Scripture is God-breathed.

Dave Miller is a liar and a false teacher, and THAT is why I have him on ignore.

But you believe that ALL universalists are false teachers so why arent we all on ignore? why are you singling out Dave Miller for this dubious privilege? Why is he lying? Its a pretty hefty accusation to throw at someone to call them a liar, even if you think that Dave is mistaken in what he believes (as you do with all of us unis) that would not make him a liar....

red77

stipe said:
I'll say it's a blessing! When one neg-reps him and calls him a 'loser' he replies with green-rep. HEY! Mr. 5020! Yous hear this's?!?

Dave Miller, ya loser!

"You must spread some reputation around before giving any more to stipe"

Maybe he doesnt want to stoop to the same petty level....? :think:

red77

Redfin said:
It just seemed to me to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

:think:

:thumb:

Redfin

PastorKevin said:
And the Lord Jesus Christ taught very explicitly that there is in fact an eternal punishment for the wicked unredeemed. It's too bad you are too blinded to listen to His words.

Try to get it through your thick skull... :hammer:

AS A CHRISTIAN UNIVERSALIST, I AGREE WITH YOUR FIRST STATEMENT ABOVE!!!

WE ARE NOT IN DISAGREEMENT ON THAT STATEMENT!!!

Our difference is over what that statement means.

That is because, as logos_x has amply demonstrated, a knowledge of the original language shows that the word most often translated "eternal" does not mean "unending."

Second, there remains your unproven (and virtually unaddressed) premise that "the wicked unredeemed" must forever remain wicked and/or unredeemed.

That is the essence of our difference, not who listens to or agrees with Jesus, you hider-behind-a-clerical-title! It's quite evident that you are upset because I don't appear to be listening to the words of "Pastor" Kevin, who is surely accustomed to being heard, as he interprets what Jesus said. Doesn't "pastor" mean "shepherd?" As sorry as I feel for you, I feel more sorry for your flock if this thread is an example of how you deal with differences.

Peace.

PKevman

Redfin said:
Try to get it through your thick skull... :hammer:

AS A CHRISTIAN UNIVERSALIST, I AGREE WITH YOUR FIRST STATEMENT ABOVE!!!

WE ARE NOT IN DISAGREEMENT ON THAT STATEMENT!!!

Our difference is over what that statement means.

That is because, as logos_x has amply demonstrated, a knowledge of the original language shows that the word most often translated "eternal" does not mean "unending."

Second, there remains your unproven (and virtually unaddressed) premise that "the wicked unredeemed" must forever remain wicked and/or unredeemed.

That is the essence of our difference, not who listens to or agrees with Jesus, you hider-behind-a-clerical-title! It's quite evident that you are upset because I don't appear to be listening to the words of "Pastor" Kevin, who is surely accustomed to being heard, as he interprets what Jesus said. Doesn't "pastor" mean "shepherd?" As sorry as I feel for you, I feel more sorry for your flock if this thread is an example of how you deal with differences.

Peace.

Thick skull? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Stephen has hardly "amply demonstrated" anything in regards to the original languages, only that Universalist "scholars" disagree with the vast majority of modern Greek scholars many of whom make their living studying the ancient Greek and Hebrew texts. To continue to assert your position is ludicrous because it will just continue to go around and around and I for one am sick of repeating myself. You have accepted Universalism, fine and dandy, but you don't have to cram it down everyone else's throats who clearly do not accept it. To say that we have not shown that the wicked unredeemed never get out of the Lake of Fire is a lie. We have shown that. YOU HAVE NOT SHOWN THAT THEY GET OUT!

Not one verse can you supply that shows they get out, they repent after death, they get more opportunities to be saved, fallen angels are redeemed, Satan is redeemed, fallen angels and Satan repents, those whose names are not found written in Book of Life get their names put IN the Book of Life, NOTHING! Not one single Scripture verse to support those beliefs. And we have shown tons of Bible verses that show clearly those being tossed into the Lake of Fire, who they are, and why they are cast there.

God bless and have a good day.

Ecumenicist

Nineveh said:
...and now... for something completely different!

Scripture

In John:
Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.
No conflict here with the idea that the "resurrection of damnation" is healing and
purgative in nature.

In Matthew
Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels

Now here, you might actually have a concrete argument. To refute it, I would have to
argue that "Depart from me" actually means "draw near to me." Take a lesson from Nin
PK, this is how one discusses points of scripture without deriding and ignoring. Score a
solid point for Nin. Looking at the context, its a parable that illustrates the importance of
acting with mercy and Grace, feeding and clothing the poor.

In 2 Thessalonians
This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed.

Well, here, Jesus is blazing fire. Lets look at the Young's Literal:

7and to you who are troubled -- rest with us in the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven, with messengers of his power,

8in flaming fire, giving vengeance to those not knowing God, and to those not obeying the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ;

9who shall suffer justice -- destruction age-during -- from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his strength,

10when He may come to be glorified in his saints, and to be wondered at in all those believing -- because our testimony was believed among you -- in that day;

See, this is interesting. PK quoted similar text. Your translation
takes texts saying "from the face of the Lord" to mean "shut out from." I'm not a Greek
scholar, but it looks to me like "shut out" is added to the translation, a better understanding might be "destruction, which comes from the face of the Lord."

This understanding would be consistant with the idea that those who suffer
destruction are actually drawn to the purifying fire of God's presence, rather than
cast from it.

OK, now, if we wanted to be intelligent and civil about this, we might each address
each others' text which seem to conflict, and try to draw a meaning which accommodates
both viewpoints, yours the Matthew 25 quote, mine the 2 Cor 5 quote.

If we honor the Scripture, and try not to discredit one quote to prove the superiority of the
other, we might actually get some where.

Civil discourse, what a concept.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
Thick skull? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Stephen has hardly "amply demonstrated" anything in regards to the original languages, only that Universalist "scholars" disagree with the vast majority of modern Greek scholars many of whom make their living studying the ancient Greek and Hebrew texts. To continue to assert your position is ludicrous because it will just continue to go around and around and I for one am sick of repeating myself. You have accepted Universalism, fine and dandy, but you don't have to cram it down everyone else's throats who clearly do not accept it. To say that we have not shown that the wicked unredeemed never get out of the Lake of Fire is a lie. We have shown that. YOU HAVE NOT SHOWN THAT THEY GET OUT!

Not one verse can you supply that shows they get out, they repent after death, they get more opportunities to be saved, fallen angels are redeemed, Satan is redeemed, fallen angels and Satan repents, those whose names are not found written in Book of Life get their names put IN the Book of Life, NOTHING! Not one single Scripture verse to support those beliefs. And we have shown tons of Bible verses that show clearly those being tossed into the Lake of Fire, who they are, and why they are cast there.

God bless and have a good day.

One other point as regards this I will draw from history. As long as Greek was the primary language of the Christian world, the majority of theological schools were believers in the restitution of all things. The theological school in Rome taught endless punishment, and it relied on a Latin translation.

I pointed out in the BR that historically eternal torment had to come along and redefine the very words the universal salvation believers used to support their veiw, and added words to MAKE aion and it's adjectives mean eternal. This began to be done systematically by the emporer Justinian, in a LOCAL, not eccumenical, council.

This is because the LATIN translation gave the word aeternum for the Greek word aionios..assigning a definition of duration to a word that means undetermined TIME.

Those are the facts. What you make of them is up to you, of course...but I believe we really should be careful and listen to what the Holy Spirit says concerning this rather than what tradition has dictated to us.

Aionios was used to REFUTE endless duration in the first 500 years of Christianity...today men want to use it as support FOR endless duration. There just might be something wrong here that believers in eternal torment have been missing. I think there is, obviously.

But, tradition is a very powerful force. It is the fact that I'm going against 1500 years of tradition that makes me a suspect of heresy, because it is simply something that hasn't been considered by the vast majority of Christians today and teachers have said that Jesus being 100% successful in saving mankind from sin and evil and death is a false doctrine. So...no matter how I or other people interpret scripture there can be only one reaction if you come out believeing in the restitution of all things...it's a false teaching...even though it is explicitly in scripture.

It is amazing that the whole argument is based on the meaning of a word that means an undetermined time...isn't it?

PKevman

I would still like to know why you think that all of the Greek scholars from today would not have at their disposal the same information and WILLINGLY mistranslate those words?

PKevman

AND there are a host of other Scriptures that do not contain the word eternal and yet completely and totally match what we have been saying. Such as the Lord Jesus separating the wheat from the weeds and the weeds being cast into fire by the angels.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
AND there are a host of other Scriptures that do not contain the word eternal and yet completely and totally match what we have been saying. Such as the Lord Jesus separating the wheat from the weeds and the weeds being cast into fire by the angels.

All of which also fit with Universal Salvation...so long as aionios remains an undetermined time in our translation of scripture.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
I would still like to know why you think that all of the Greek scholars from today would not have at their disposal the same information and WILLINGLY mistranslate those words?

tradition, and what they themselves believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.