Not open for further replies.

xavier47

BANNED
Banned
bigbang123 said:
this bears repeating until it sinks in

Originally Posted by bigbang123

my opinion

PastorKevin's position - biblical and one of the biggest obstacles to faith in the bible being divinely authored. he fully embraces the despicable teaching of the bible on the subject.

Logos_X position - biblically based wishful grasping at hemeneutical straws. he unsuccessfully trys to explain why the supposedly misunderstood teaching of scriptures is
not as despicable as it appears.

and before any christian responds to this - read post #380 first.

Why do you feel your opinion needs to be repeated until it sinks in? The need to state your opinion, on the other hand, is understandable...

Nineveh

Merely Christian
xavier47 said:
Great job of defending your doctrine... Aionos means 'forever and ever' ad nauseam, blah, blah, blah... This debate has been going on for centuries - thank God YOU came along and set things straight, eh?

Rather, it's pretty simple to just cut and paste "my doctrine" from John and Paul... but hey...what can I say? Unlike some who need pages and pages to keep dodging a question, I can see where this might seem a little strange.

And tell me what Paul means when He says Christ is the Saviour of the world, ESPECIALLY those who believe...

Sounds like what John said, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Paul isn't saying anything different.

Hmm, by WHOSE standards?

The One Who decreed kidnapping is punishable by death. "He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be put to death."

Nineveh

Merely Christian
bigbang123 said:
Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help.

Your version means not to trust Christ. The Biblical version says not to trust you.

No need to be dishonest :)

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
bigbang123 said:
not true - is contains some truth, some error, some myth, some fact

there are 31,273 verses in the whole bible - i don't disagree with all of it

verses i especially agree with

Matthew 5:44-46
44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?

Proverbs 15
1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.

1 Cor 13

Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

etc
It contains much more than some. And not all of that truth is pleasent. Take the debate that this thread is based upon. The truth of the Bible is that there is a place that unbelievers go where God is not. It is described as a lake of fire which implies extreme discomfort. It is not a pleasant truth but it is true none the less.

The verses you quote are the pleasent and encouraging verses. They are important and have their place along side the other less appealing truths.

You frequently make the point that God is a monster for sending billions of people to this hell. The fact of the matter is you do not know if that is a true statement or not. The Bible is silent regarding people who have never heard the word God. If it says nothing about a subject, what can you know about it? Nothing. You can and do (and you are not the only one to do this) infer much based on what you want to believe. But you don't know. None of us know.

The Bible is not written to the unbeliever, it is written to the believer. For those of us who believe, the Bible contans wisdom and truth and comfort and encouragement. For those who reject God, the Bible means nothing. Their hearts are closed to the truth.

The modern day world has turned God into the Great Big Teddy Bear of Love. A teddy Bear who would never dream of doing anything that we might find offensive. We have made God over in our image. When we are confronted with the Biblical truth that God is God and His wrath exists next to His love, we rebell. God is not a teddy bear, God is God. Holy and just by nature and not knowable to men. Jesus personified the grace and nercy of God and gives us a standard of care to live upto. Revelations lets us know that Gods patience has a limit and when the end times come, so does Gods wrath.

It is truth. I may not understand it all and there are parts of it I may not like or agree with. But it is truth that never changes and that I can always count on.

xavier47

BANNED
Banned
Nineveh said:
The One Who decreed kidnapping is punishable by death. "He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be put to death."

You see it as kidnapping - I see it as someone pulling an unconscious person out of a burning building... I won't answer the rest of your points - they have all been discussed here...

xavier47

BANNED
Banned
Nineveh said:

You see it as kidnapping - I see it as someone pulling an unconscious person out of a burning building... I won't answer the rest of your points - they have all been discussed here before at TOL,,,

xavier47

BANNED
Banned
CabinetMaker said:
The modern day world has turned God into the Great Big Teddy Bear of Love. A teddy Bear who would never dream of doing anything that we might find offensive. We have made God over in our image. When we are confronted with the Biblical truth that God is God and His wrath exists next to His love, we rebell. God is not a teddy bear, God is God. Holy and just by nature and not knowable to men. Jesus personified the grace and nercy of God and gives us a standard of care to live upto. Revelations lets us know that Gods patience has a limit and when the end times come, so does Gods wrath.

It is truth. I may not understand it all and there are parts of it I may not like or agree with. But it is truth that never changes and that I can always count on.

No - Christians who believe in the ultimate reconciliation believe that God's justice and wrath were meted out on the Cross... That's what the Bible says, doesn't it?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
xavier47 said:
No - Christians who believe in the ultimate reconciliation believe that God's justice and wrath were meted out on the Cross... That's what the Bible says, doesn't it?
No. Revelations talks of the end times and Gods wrath being poured out upon the world.

xavier47

BANNED
Banned
Isaiah 53 - Young's Literal Translation:

1Who hath given credence to that which we heard? And the arm of Jehovah, On whom hath it been revealed?

2Yea, he cometh up as a tender plant before Him, And as a root out of a dry land, He hath no form, nor honour, when we observe him, Nor appearance, when we desire him.

3He is despised, and left of men, A man of pains, and acquainted with sickness, And as one hiding the face from us, He is despised, and we esteemed him not.

4Surely our sicknesses he hath borne, And our pains -- he hath carried them, And we -- we have esteemed him plagued, Smitten of God, and afflicted.

5And he is pierced for our transgressions, Bruised for our iniquities, The chastisement of our peace [is] on him, And by his bruise there is healing to us.

6All of us like sheep have wandered, Each to his own way we have turned, And Jehovah hath caused to meet on him, The punishment of us all.

7It hath been exacted, and he hath answered, And he openeth not his mouth, As a lamb to the slaughter he is brought, And as a sheep before its shearers is dumb, And he openeth not his mouth.

8By restraint and by judgment he hath been taken, And of his generation who doth meditate, That he hath been cut off from the land of the living? By the transgression of My people he is plagued,

9And it appointeth with the wicked his grave, And with the rich [are] his high places, Because he hath done no violence, Nor [is] deceit in his mouth.

10And Jehovah hath delighted to bruise him, He hath made him sick, If his soul doth make an offering for guilt, He seeth seed -- he prolongeth days, And the pleasure of Jehovah in his hand doth prosper.

11Of the labour of his soul he seeth -- he is satisfied, Through his knowledge give righteousness Doth the righteous one, My servant, to many, And their iniquities he doth bear.

12Therefore I give a portion to him among the many, And with the mighty he apportioneth spoil, Because that he exposed to death his soul, And with transgressors he was numbered, And he the sin of many hath borne, And for transgressors he intercedeth.

Aimiel

PastorKevin said:
Well said! :up:
Thank you. Hey, if you see anything good in me, it's My Heavenly Father you're seeing, not me. I no longer live, but He lives in me. :thumb:

red77

Nineveh said:
And Paul says, "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen."

i believe Paul also says that if it's only in this life we have hope then we are of all men to be most pitied, I'd also love to know how you believe that God isnt the saviour of all men especially of believers - and how Jesus ransom for all - to be testified to in due time will actually only be for a few........
The passage above doesnt negate any of that, noone's saying that man isnt in a fallen state....

I'll have to stop replying to you here... your missing-the-forest-for-the-trees bit got old a long time ago. Let me know when you get some new material.

What a cop out, the whole 'muffin' segment is so flawed there isnt even a forest to see, the analogy does not work, comparing a chef who doesnt manage to get everyone to willingly eat his muffins - to A God who isnt a psychopath for tormenting people in a pit of fire but apparently is if He reconciles people unto himself is quite frankly laughable....i'm not surprised you havent got a reply, let me know when you stop trotting out the same excuse to avoid an answer.... :bang:

PKevman

Aimiel said:
Thank you. Hey, if you see anything good in me, it's My Heavenly Father you're seeing, not me. I no longer live, but He lives in me. :thumb:

Praise the Lord brother. Round #4 is in. I have been at it for about 8 hours and I am dog-tired! God bless all those who read it!

red77

Nineveh said:
Well... and God... unless you don't believe forever and ever means forever and ever that is.

There's no point in adding an 'ever' to forever, it seems that you just dont want to be open to aion not actually meaning what you infer it to

Except..."if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." So I guess John and Paul got it wrong. Good thing you happened along, huh? :)

Well everyone will bow their knee and every tongue will confess....

I'm of the firm belief the work has been done to cover everyone, but also of the firm belief not everyone wants saved. God isn't a kidnapper with an unhealthy view of love.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldnt everyone -once they have a knowledge of the truth- not want it??? I'm amazed at those who think it would somehow be possible to still reject God....you say that God isnt a kidnapper - he wouldnt have to be!! And the helathy view of love is to what........throw people into a pit of endless burning fire.....righto...... :doh:

red77

Sounds like what John said, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Paul isn't saying anything different.

Er....this is the weakest answer i've seen for the verse "God is the saviour of all men, especially of believers", you havent even attempted to address the verse itself! It sounds like God is the saviour of everyone - not just of believers but especially of believers, why would it or how could it mean anything different? If it meant only those who believe like the way you somehow seem to interpret it then the word 'especially' wouldnt be in there,
Have another go :)

red77

Aethril said:
CM just listen to them. All the people who go through the wide gate to their destruction will eventually end up with all the people who chose the narrow path... so basically it doesn't matter if you believe in Jesus here on Earth or not... sheesh how could I have been so blind?

I dont know, how are you being so blind? Does faith only mean anything if there's an eternal hell to escape from? It sounds on one level that you'd be put out that everyone is reconciled instead of tormented which I very much hope isnt the case....

red77

Aimiel said:
Yes, it does, as do all Scriptures, when examined in the light. God is The Savior of All Men, though not all men are saved. What makes you think that all men will be saved? That's what doesn't make any sense. If all are (eventually) saved, what would the point of Jesus dying be? To show off? God sent His Son to die because there was no other way that men might be saved. Jesus, Himself, prayed earnestly that He might not have to die. Was it truly pointless for Him to die, or did He die because the wages of sin is death, and Jesus had to literally take the punishment for sin (even though we know that He never committed any)?That's your opinion. God doesn't have to meet with your approval or understanding to do a thing, and if He did, that would make you God, and not Him. He prepared hell for Satan and the other fallen angels. Adam brought death upon all men by his sin (being the father of all). That death is the 'marker' if you will to delineate a man's life. What he does from the time he's 'accountable' for his actions (Adam was created accountable, since God said, "But of the tree...") and all men who achieve that accountability are held responsible for their actions. Being as men disobey God, without excuse (there is no excuse for sin) their punishment (as far as I'm concerned) is certainly less than what they deserve. I believe that death, then eternal punishment is good, compared to being 'snuffed' out of existence.

Then you're another who cant address the verse, the reason I believe that all men will be saved is because its what it says in the word....
"God is the saviour of all men, especially of those who believe", it doesnt say "only"...its a thorn in the side of ET because noone so far has been able to address this verse without twisting the definition of 'especially' or trying to just get rid of the word altogether, even PK couldnt manage this, you havent either........
whats more Jesus said he died as a ransom for all to be testified in due time, what you are on about with Jesus showing off if all are reconciled is beyond me, and how the heck is it 'pointless' if all men are redeemed? Bizarre.....it would make Jesus 100% successful in his mission and his sacrifice would have been far from pointless......
As to your own opinions about what people deserve in the afterlife if they arent saved here is one of the more sickening aspects of this doctrine you hold to, you'll justify endless agony for other people after believeing yourself to be spared the agonies........ :nono:

I simply can't justify Jesus' description of the rich man in hell with discipline, nor do I believe for one minute that casting body and soul into a lake of fire would be required to simply 'snuff' someone out of existence or put them into some imagined 'eternal separation' from God. One is separated from God only by their own choice. If we want, we can be just as close to God as we desire; but being separate from Him is merely the consequence of our sin (selfish desire). I believe Scripture, but only in the full light of day provided by the rest of Scripture, and that light doesn't show God as forgiving sin without Jesus' Blood being applied; and the decision to apply That Blood to one's life must come in this life, not after death. After one dies, there is no more repentance.

The story of the rich man was a parable, you read it literally and it makes no sense, if the rich man was literally burning and on fire do you seriously think he would ask Lazarus to dip his finger in water to cool his tongue????!!!! Do you think he'd capable of coherent speech at all and ot just screaming "AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH"......?! Yet again the message of this story about how beingf selfish and not compassionate towards those who have less is lost amidst all the literal hellfire preach..........
If you believe that God is incapable of or unwilling to save each person then its your perogative, I believe that ALL things are possible with God, that in the fullness of time all people will be ransomed as the testimony predicts, god knew that left to man it would be impossible for him - hence his answer to the disciples when they asked about who could be saved, you both believe that God cant accomplish his own will and that all things are in fact not possible for God....

ChasClean

Aethril,

ChasClean, it is a song.

Yes. It is a song. The Psalms were songs.

But it was also a response to your post

Originally Posted by Aethril

Will God force someone against their will to live with Him?

God can place anyone in situations so that their will WILL change.

If you take that ability away from Him, He is no longer God.

As I said:

Indissputable.

ChasClean

Aethril,

CM just listen to them. All the people who go through the wide gate to their destruction will eventually end up with all the people who chose the narrow path... so basically it doesn't matter if you believe in Jesus here on Earth or not... sheesh how could I have been so blind?

Mt 13:13
This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

Oh, it matters Aethril.

They spent their whole life with the burden of sin weighing them down. Not knowing the peace that passes understanding. Not having life and having it more abundantly. Not having the Spirit of God residing inside of them. Not having a relationship with the Father through His Son. And according to their judgment, they may very well NOT experience life in the Kingdom Age.

But apparently none of these things matter much to you. Could it be that Jesus is simply your “get out of hell free” card?

ChasClean

PK said,

IT’S A GIFT! A gift that is given freely. Gifts must be accepted or they aren’t gifts. They just aren’t. Not in any language! Greek, Hebrew, English, doesn’t matter. Gifts are gifts are gifts. And that is my answer to your question.

So, you don't consider your original life to be a gift?

Did God ask your permission before He gave it to you?

What about your parents?

Your brothers and sisters and other relatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.