BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

red77

You are not satisfied that it is a parable even! IF what you say is true, then it is the only parable Jesus ever taught that was about a nation instead of and individuals relationship with God. That is just redefining the scripture too much to be acceptable.

Don't you see what you are doing? You are taking a piece of scripture and redefining it as a parable. Once you have convinced yourself that it is a parable then you continue to redefine the meaning of the parable to make into something that fits with your preconceived belief.

he last line of your post, "in regards to the 'chasm', well.....it could make sense that those in a hell would want to get out - but not much to believe that its there to stop people from crossing over from Heaven also!" has got to be a joke. Look at the passage. Abraham says quite plainly that it is a chasm that cannot be crossed. How can you believe that something that is described as impossible to cross can be crossed? Seriously, how can you take some that says a chasm cannot be crossed and say it really means it can be crossed by those who want to cross it badly enough.

If the rich man and the poor man are metephores, they are not metaphors for nations, they are metaphors for those whos treasure is on earth (rich men) and those whos treasures are in heaven (poor men). Logos's explination is no better. He willing twists the meaning of this passage to fit Universalist theology as well.

Er....i didnt say that this 'chasm' was possible to be crossed, I said it would hardly make sense to believe that anyone from Heaven would WANT to cross a chasm to get into hell, If i recall Abraham says its there to stop people from going from either hell to heaven or vice versa even if they wanted to, if you are happy to believe this to be a litreral story CM then its your call, i'm certainly not - and would have difficulty in doing so whether I was a universalist or not.....

logos_x

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

So was the above verse.

He did tell the Truth. Both times.

I agree.

As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
(Joh 17:2 KJV)

Now...I think the reason some have been given to Christ out of the world is so that the world may be saved...not that they are the only ones to ever be saved.

Surely you can understand that for the world to be saved, the agency to accomplish it must be in place and active in the world...and it can not be undone EXCEPT that men might not believe. It isn't because God cuts it all off because they die...which is what eternal torment says, it is because they cut themselves off....and unless you think that is made permanent somehow, there is no reason to think they will ALWAYS for all future time, refuse to come...continually rejecting their own salvation.

Perhaps they might, perhaps they could...but it does not follow as a forgone conclusion that they WILL.

But...that is what eternal torment teaches, in the current way it is viewed. They have NO CHOICE...and they are FORCED to live in torment, and FORCED to do so forever.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Surely you can understand that for the world to be saved,

Compare:
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. ... “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

God did not say He is going to save everyone or everything. Trash can be subjected without being saved.

the agency to accomplish it must be in place and active in the world...and it can not be undone EXCEPT that men might not believe. It isn't because God cuts it all off because they die...which is what eternal torment says, it is because they cut themselves off....and unless you think that is made permanent somehow, there is no reason to think they will ALWAYS for all future time, refuse to come...continually rejecting their own salvation.

Except most of human history recorded in the Bible witnesses to the fact men hate God and want to go their own way. How long would it take before God can finally let them have their own way? 6000 years isn't enough, how about 6000000000000000 years? Eternity isn't long enough to make people who hate God love Him.

Perhaps they might, perhaps they could...but it does not follow as a forgone conclusion that they WILL.

Nope. So why do you demand God keep forever open for that possibility. You yourself need to have forever for them because even you realize some just hate God.

But...that is what eternal torment teaches, in the current way it is viewed. They have NO CHOICE...and they are FORCED to live in torment, and FORCED to do so forever.
Entities have hated God almost from day 1. I'm glad at some point in the future there will be no more need to worry about those who hate God. It will be like... eternity in heaven :)

dale

...The Law shows us the need for a Savior.
I'm not convinced the Law shows us our need for a Savior. I agree it shows us our dilemma, but not convinced it shows how to remedy it.

Sadly, some anorexics go on to suffer and die for their willful ignorance.
That's why I said "sorta like." If God was doing the convincing He could make you want to do anything... like that king that God made to graze like a cow. What was his name?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Er....i didnt say that this 'chasm' was possible to be crossed, I said it would hardly make sense to believe that anyone from Heaven would WANT to cross a chasm to get into hell, If i recall Abraham says its there to stop people from going from either hell to heaven or vice versa even if they wanted to, if you are happy to believe this to be a litreral story CM then its your call, i'm certainly not - and would have difficulty in doing so whether I was a universalist or not.....
Why would you have trouble believing it? Be specific please.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
I'm not convinced the Law shows us our need for a Savior. I agree it shows us our dilemma, but not convinced it shows how to remedy it.

Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. - Paul

That's why I said "sorta like." If God was doing the convincing He could make you want to do anything... like that king that God made to graze like a cow. What was his name?

You mean like pharaoh?

red77

Compare:
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. ... “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

God did not say He is going to save everyone or everything. Trash can be subjected without being saved.

Yes God did say that and more, you would just sooner believe that God is incapable of doing so

Except most of human history recorded in the Bible witnesses to the fact men hate God and want to go their own way. How long would it take before God can finally let them have their own way? 6000 years isn't enough, how about 6000000000000000 years? Eternity isn't long enough to make people who hate God love Him.

Right......so according to you people would actually WANT to remain in hell because they 'hate' God?......:masochist:

Nope. So why do you demand God keep forever open for that possibility. You yourself need to have forever for them because even you realize some just hate God.

And so God is unable to restore those who are misguided with his love? Even Saul was transformed from hating God to witnessing for God, if Saul can be transformed what in all the world could stop God working the same healing in everyone?

Entities have hated God almost from day 1. I'm glad at some point in the future there will be no more need to worry about those who hate God. It will be like... eternity in heaven :)

Of course, those in heaven can put the misery of others out of their mind for ever, right? :rain:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Yes God did say that and more, you would just sooner believe that God is incapable of doing so

God is not incapable of keeping His Word, He just isn't bound by yours.

Right......so according to you people would actually WANT to remain in hell because they 'hate' God?......:masochist:

Why would they want to be with God if they hate Him?

And so God is unable to restore those who are misguided with his love? Even Saul was transformed from hating God to witnessing for God, if Saul can be transformed what in all the world could stop God working the same healing in everyone?

You can't say the same for the first Saul though, can you?

Of course, those in heaven can put the misery of others out of their mind for ever, right? :rain:

Jesus promises to wipe away every tear. I have a feeling there will be many to wipe away. Especially for those promoting a doctrine that promises there will be no end to God's patience when that is an utter lie.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
For all the reasons i've outlined already CM! It makes no sense when read literally.....
That is the same thing as saying that it makes no sense to read the Bible lterally. You are allowing yourself to pick and choose what you will believe and how you will believe it. How can so easily treat Gods word with such disdane?

red77

God is not incapable of keeping His Word, He just isn't bound by yours.

Ironically I'm not the one trying to bind God's ability, its you by saying that he cannot save his own world....

Why would they want to be with God if they hate Him?

What is your definition of hate exactly? unbelief, agnosticism? Not everyone is like Saul of Tarsus, yet if God can transform such an enemy of Christianity then what on earth makes you think that everyone else - once presented with God face to face - would NOT want to be with him?

You can't say the same for the first Saul though, can you?

I cant say it about anyone other than Saul/Paul, noone else I know of had an encounter with God the likes of what occurred on the road to damascus, whats your point?

Jesus promises to wipe away every tear. I have a feeling there will be many to wipe away. Especially for those promoting a doctrine that promises there will be no end to God's patience when that is an utter lie.

notice that Nin - EVERY tear, not just a few/some/ a handful here and there - but every single one.... :)

red77

That is the same thing as saying that it makes no sense to read the Bible lterally. You are allowing yourself to pick and choose what you will believe and how you will believe it. How can so easily treat Gods word with such disdane?

I dont read revelation literally either, do you? Do you read every single thing in the Bible literally? If not then please dont accuse me of treating the word with disdain,

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I dont read revelation literally either, do you? Do you read every single thing in the Bible literally? If not then please dont accuse me of treating the word with disdain,
We are not talking about one book here. A great deal of Revelations I do read literally such as the opening of seals and the sounding of the trumpits. I think the descriptions of the beast are metephore.

The parables are great teaching tools and do not need to be manipulated, nor should they be, to get some other message out of them. Jesus was very plain and very direct with His teachings. He want speople to be saved so He would not vail His teachings. WHat you are doing is wrong. It is just plain wrong to take something Jesus has said and say that Jesus really didn't mean that, He meant this. That is false teaching on your part.

dale

Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. - Paul
I agree the law was a tutor used to bring us to Christ, in that it showed our problem. I just don't believe it showed the way out of our problem.

"And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard?" - Paul

You mean like pharaoh?
Got it, King Nebuchadnezzar, Daniel 4:15-16
"...And let him graze with the beasts
On the grass of the earth.
Let his heart be changed from that of a man,
Let him be given the heart of a beast,"

The end of the chapter shows this is indeed what happened.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Ironically I'm not the one trying to bind God's ability, its you by saying that he cannot save his own world....

You are adding to His Word, red. He isn't bound by what you want.

What is your definition of hate exactly? unbelief, agnosticism? Not everyone is like Saul of Tarsus, yet if God can transform such an enemy of Christianity then what on earth makes you think that everyone else - once presented with God face to face - would NOT want to be with him?

You mean like the first Saul or pharaoh or Israel?

I cant say it about anyone other than Saul/Paul, noone else I know of had an encounter with God the likes of what occurred on the road to damascus, whats your point?

So the only one that counts is the only one that you can build you case around? Not surprising. You tend to ignore the rest of the Book anyway.

notice that Nin - EVERY tear, not just a few/some/ a handful here and there - but every single one.... :)

...the more you offer false hope in the lake, the more tears there will be.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
I agree the law was a tutor used to bring us to Christ, in that it showed our problem. I just don't believe it showed the way out of our problem.

"And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard?" - Paul

Confused: "I agree the law was a tutor used to bring us to Christ" yet, " I just don't believe it showed the way out of our problem". Which is it?

Got it, King Nebuchadnezzar, Daniel 4:15-16
"...And let him graze with the beasts
On the grass of the earth.
Let his heart be changed from that of a man,
Let him be given the heart of a beast,"

The end of the chapter shows this is indeed what happened.

Ok... and?

logos_x

Compare:

Nineveh...were you ever trash? Were you always a believer?
Maybe you were. I wasn't...and neither was the Apostle Paul.

Now...why do you feel compelled on insisting that unbelievers must remain unbelievers forever?

God NEVER will compromise with sin, Nineveh.
They will not "get their own way"...because it is the way of death.

Just what do you think I mean by everyone being SAVED Nineveh?
And, why do you demand that people must live, forever even apart from God.

You are leaving out of your theology a very important consideration...Jesus Christ actually SAVING people.

Wouldn't it be great if no-one hated God? Is that ever going to be possible? Why is God all in all thought to be so damn dangerous to so many?

Is the complete obliteration of evil, while at the same time restoring all creation, so unthinkable that no one could possibly think it to ever be possible?

Or is it what it really seems...that the teaching has been that it's dangerous to think that the one who created all things could actually restore all things, so people think it IS dangerous to question the teaching that he can't? :think:

Balder

This self- and other-hatred is one of the "traits" I've noticed in proponents of eternal torment.

Redfin

PastorKevin said:
How utterly ridiculous! I asked a question of someone else. You piped in and did not answer the question. Then you asked ME a question which I answered not once but TWICE in TWO different posts! You are a doggone LIAR Redfin!

Since your original question was not addressed to me, I knew of no obligation to answer it.

You responded twice, PK, but you did not answer my question.

You still haven't. I noticed Poly decided to back off as well.

There is no lie on my part. The posts are there for all to see.

PastorKevin said:
Hypocrisy is saying one thing and doing another. You are accusing me of not answering a question when I provided you with TWO answers, and yet you still didn't answer mine. Interesting tactic. But then again you haven't offered a single positive thing in this entire thread that I can recall. Your eyes are blinded to the truth.

Your two off-question responses do not add up to even one answer in this case.

And if the vehemence of a response indicates the relevance of the point I made, then your two most recent responses to me say it all. :think:

PKevman

Since your original question was not addressed to me, I knew of no obligation to answer it.

You responded twice, PK, but you did not answer my question.

You still haven't. I noticed Poly decided to back off as well.

There is no lie on my part. The posts are there for all to see.

Your two off-question responses do not add up to even one answer in this case.

And if the vehemence of a response indicates the relevance of the point I made, then your two most recent responses to me say it all. :think:

Redfin you give yourself way too much credit. But then again, Universalists are some of the most arrogant of the false teaching groups that I have encountered. Logos is the only one in this group that I think has any sense of humility, and even he thinks that Universal Salvation is the only possible explanation. I am not exactly certain how I could have more answered the question Redfin. But to quelch your continued false accusations I will answer your question for a third time:

redfin said:
PK, is it God's will to allow people to participate in sexual immorality and reap the consequences if they so choose?

Redfin, it is NEVER God's will for people to participate in sexual immorality. NEVER. God hates sexual immorality. He denounces it throughout the Bible. People defy God's will when they commit sexual immorality. Then they reap the consequences for their actions. Yes it is God's will for them to reap the consequences for their actions, NO it is not God's will for them to HAVE to reap the consequences for those actions because it is NOT God's will for them to participate in sexual immorality. I am not exactly sure how much more plain this question could be answered. I am sure you will reject the answer, but at this point I honestly don't care because I have done everything I could to answer your question, and your own hard-heartedness towards God's Word prevents us from having a positive discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.