BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

logos_x

Because we accept what the Bible DIRECTLY says, not your long-winded attempts to explain it away. The onus of proof is on you,...

No..you rely solely upon the English translations that say the the aions are endless. Then you say that I'm long-winded in explaining that the Greek does not say they are. You say the onus of proof is on me...and then reject whatever proof I offer, and reject the sources...even the comentaries of the scholars that agree with what I've said about the words used in the Hebrew and Greek texts.

So...Kevin, what would you have me do? Throw up my hands and give up the argument? Quit in disgust?

Why is the onus of proof on me? Why is it that the onus of proof isn't on you?

How is it that everything I've said is invalid? WHY are you right about "what the Bible DIRECTLY says" no matter what, while you are at variance with many scriptures...which I continue to point out...and explain THOSE away according to your doctrine?

consistent hallmark among Universalists everywhere to attack the credibility of the Scriptures. In fact that is a hallmark of ALL false teaching groups. You can go to JW's, Mormons, etc... and find the same types of arguments (albeit with a different goal in mind).

Where have I attacked the credibility of the scriptures, Kevin? All I've done is point out what the words in those scriptures are in the original language they were written in. I am in disagreement with the way SOME Bibles have translated those texts.

That is because the ONLY WAY that Universalists can get people to accept their doctrines is to get them to believe that none of the translations can be trusted except the scant few unreliable ones that are translated the way they want them to be translated.

It is not my fault that the translation YOU rely upon have some flaws that are worthy of being corrected...and it isn't a matter of how I WANT them translated, its a matter of what they actually say, Kevin.

On this Iv'e pointed out that the Bible uses aion and it's adjectives, never says they are endless. I've also pointed out that four different words with very different meanings were all translated "hell"...and the reasons it was, and how that English word has changed meanings over time as much as "gay" has. I've pointed out the meanings of various other Greek words.

Now...why do you think the ones I have used...primarily the Weymouth New Testament, and Young's Literal, and the Rotherham, and the Concordant....are unreliable? Is it because that don't teach eternal torment and stick to the actual meaning of the Greek? Or because you know that they are unreliable in some way? Or is it that you know the ones you use have to be right because they are the ones that are sold the most?

You are right. I am extremely close-minded when it comes to compromising on the Word of God. I am not close-minded to consider and study new ideas. I have studied the ideas of Universalists and I for one soundly reject them as unBiblical. You and your cronies continue to reposit the exact same arguments over and over again and the result will always be the same.

Kevin...what makes you think anyone is MY cronie?
And, I'm sorry, but aren't you, also, reposting the same exact arguments over and over again.

The result will always be the same? Isn't that just saying that you will continue to consider that only by believing in eternal tormet you show yourself to be "uncompromising", and that you will not consider "new ideas" (although it isn't really new at all, as I've already pointed out) when it comes to this topic?

Say and by the way, we are still waiting an answer as to why Universalist Greek "scholars" should be trusted over the myriads who have worked on translating the word of God over the past few hundreds years?

Look at this sentence, Kevin.
What are you saying, that only those scholars who believe in eternal torment could possibly be right?

I've quoted from mydiads of commentaries...some of which were not believers in the Salvation of the Human race.

Why are they wrong and "yours" right?

Also we are awaiting that Scripture verse that clearly shows the Beast, the False Prophet, Satan, the fallen angels, and those whose names are not in the Book of Life being LET OUT of the Lake of Fire.

I'm still awaiting the one that says they will be in there forever.

Better yet how about that verse that shows HOW the sins of Satan and the fallen angels were paid for, thus allowing them to go to Heaven when the Bible says clearly they will not go there, and that Jesus did NOT die for angels!

Romans 11:36
Rom. 8:20-21
Eph. 6:12 and Colossians 1:16-20

How about the verses that show clearly that someone, ANYONE is given the opportunity to repent AFTER they die?

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Universalism is a system of belief that rests upon a glass house, and when someone throws the stone of truth it SHATTERS everytime!

I haven't seen any shattering yet...

red77

The B-I-B-L-E... it doesn't agree with you.

Still no answer huh? My, that answer to the disciples must really not be as clear as what it states for it to be causing you this much difficulty to address

You obviously don't understand it because you never experienced it. Just because you have never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can't make my witness go away.

What is your witness red?

I'm not interested in trying to make your witness 'go away', and I have experienced genuine remorse and repentance, it comes from the heart and is real, no fear or even joy is involved in the act itself....

...said the lying hypocrite.

Pot meet kettle, you're in no position to make judgements on my character after your own little stunt on this thread, here's a hint, you dont take a snippet of someones post and totally misrepresent them - not if you dont want to become guilty of that with which you charge others - namely hypocrisy, you've not even attempted to answer when called on your own error, I wonder why? :think:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Still no answer huh? My, that answer to the disciples must really not be as clear as what it states for it to be causing you this much difficulty to address

Look, one or two out of context proof text isn't enough for me to convert seeing as the whole Bible speaks directly against you.

I'm not interested in trying to make your witness 'go away', and I have experienced genuine remorse and repentance, it comes from the heart and is real, no fear or even joy is involved in the act itself....

So what was your witness, red?

...you're in no position to make judgements on my character...

You are a couple months too late on that one.

red77

Look, one or two out of context proof text isn't enough for me to convert seeing as the whole Bible speaks directly against you.

Right now I'm only asking you to address the one verse...

So what was your witness, red?

I repented of my sins, I asked for forgiveness

You are a couple months too late on that one.

Hardly, and it doesnt excuse your misrepresentation on this thread if our initial disagreement was 2 years ago....

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Why is the onus of proof on me? Why is it that the onus of proof isn't on you?
Because Pastor Kevin uses verses from the Bible to back up what he says. He can point to Matthew 25 and say, "Here Jesus is teaching us that hell is real." He can point to the narrow gates and the wide gates. He can point to verses where the Bible says forever and ever.

When you point at the same verses you use words like, "Jesus didn't really mean forever." "God didn't really mean that many would go through the wide gate to destriction." You spend all your time trying to change the meaning of verses instead of talking them for what they say.

The burden of proof is on you because youare the one who insists on changing things. But your burden of proof is low. All we have asked for are verses saying the devil, or anybody, gets out of the lake of fire. We ask for a verse that says you will have a second chance to accept Christ after you die. Thats all. Just a couple o verses that plainly support your assertions as plainly as the verses we have shown you support an eternal lake of fire.

If you can do that, great! I will renounce eternal torment as a heresy and spend my time vigorusly fighting against it. If you can't, then maybe its time to ask yourself why you can't find those verses.

With sincerity, I wish you good luck in your Bible search. I pray that the Holy Spirit will be with you and guide your search.

Aimiel

I've heard it said that God wrote The Bible so that a child could understand It, and that you need help to misunderstand It. Seems like Logos_X and Red77 have had a lot of help.

logos_x

Because Pastor Kevin uses verses from the Bible to back up what he says. He can point to Matthew 25 and say, "Here Jesus is teaching us that hell is real." He can point to the narrow gates and the wide gates. He can point to verses where the Bible says forever and ever.

When you point at the same verses you use words like, "Jesus didn't really mean forever." "God didn't really mean that many would go through the wide gate to destriction." You spend all your time trying to change the meaning of verses instead of talking them for what they say.

The burden of proof is on you because youare the one who insists on changing things. But your burden of proof is low. All we have asked for are verses saying the devil, or anybody, gets out of the lake of fire. We ask for a verse that says you will have a second chance to accept Christ after you die. Thats all. Just a couple o verses that plainly support your assertions as plainly as the verses we have shown you support an eternal lake of fire.

If you can do that, great! I will renounce eternal torment as a heresy and spend my time vigorusly fighting against it. If you can't, then maybe its time to ask yourself why you can't find those verses.

With sincerity, I wish you good luck in your Bible search. I pray that the Holy Spirit will be with you and guide your search.

Show us a verse where Jesus used a word that means "endless aion" when He spoke of judgements. Show us where people live forever without Christ. Show where the wicked are granted immortality in their unbelieving condition.

I've shown many, many verses that simply CANNOT mean what they say and say what they mean if eternal torment is true...and it is YOU that change the meaning of those verses to fit with your plausibility structure.

How many times have I pointed out 1 Corinthians 15:13-29?
How about the verses I pointed to in the last post I made in response to Kevin?

How about from the other direction...where the Bible says "All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul. (Psa 22:29)

That I have pointed out what aion and it's adjectives REALLY mean should not be a problem if what you believe is true. You should be able to have the Bible say what it says without having to change anything. So, the real question is...what do you do if the words HAVE been changed in the translation.

I haven't changed anything...the translators have. By saying aion is endless without anything that says it's endless.

Why is this an insurmountable problem for you?
Better yet, why do you believe that billions in torment is a better and more accurate representaion of the outcome of God's creation and ability to save?

Aimiel said:
I've heard it said that God wrote The Bible so that a child could understand It, and that you need help to misunderstand It. Seems like Logos_X and Red77 have had a lot of help.

...it seems you have to be brainwashed to think a child could accept that God has made a universe in which it is impossible for Him to save it.

Aimiel

...it seems you have to be brainwashed to think a child could accept that God has made a universe in which it is impossible for Him to save it.
I'm not brainwashed, but even a child knows that when they do wrong, they will be punished. It would seem that you lack the understanding even a child has, since Scripture is clear about the sound doctrine regarding eternal conscious torment. Having too many teachers scratch your itching ears seems to have washed away even the 'childlike' portions of your brain.

Aimiel

I've shown many, many verses that simply CANNOT mean what they say and say what they mean if eternal torment is true...and it is YOU that change the meaning of those verses to fit with your plausibility structure.
The difference being that you use Scriptures out-of-context and as 'proof-texts' to attempt to bring your invented universalism to life, while defenders of Truth simply quote Scripture which clearly disproves your false doctrine, which you seem to ignore every time they do so. We don't have a 'case' to build or even an agenda at all, we simply defend The Word of God, which, in case you hadn't noticed, doesn't really need any defense, since It stands on It's own.

PKevman

Well said CM :up:

logos_x

I'm not brainwashed, but even a child knows that when they do wrong, they will be punished. It would seem that you lack the understanding even a child has, since Scripture is clear about the sound doctrine regarding eternal conscious torment. Having too many teachers scratch your itching ears seems to have washed away even the 'childlike' portions of your brain.

And why do we punish them Aimiel?

For their CORRECTION!

ANYTHING ELSE IS ABUSE.

Aimiel

And why do we punish them Aimiel?

For their CORRECTION!

ANYTHING ELSE IS ABUSE.
You don't have to shout. Your posts will have more emphasis if you use some thought before BANGING them out on your keyboard violently; besides being easier to read (ALL CAPS is harder to read than proper upper and lower case type). Don't worry, though, I'm not going to spank you. Just don't let it happen again.

I punish my children because I'm instructed to do so, and I'm told that the parent that spares the rod hates their child. We're told to raise them up in the way that they should go. We punish them when they disobey, so that they learn to obey. If we didn't, the foolishness that we see in the streets and the violence (like at VA Tech yesterday) would be the norm instead of the exception.

We also send adults to prison, some are even put to death for their crimes. We only judge (at best) by what someone is seen doing. God looks further than that, He looks upon the very thoughts and intents of the heart. He brings into judgement every single word that everyone ever speaks, and even their thoughts. His Judgement is far superior to ours. He offers every man the opportunity to repent. God punishes because the guilty deserve their fate. He also offers forgiveness to anyone who wants to drink of The Waters of Life. Not one drop of That Water is available to those in hell. No one who is sentenced there will ever escape.

logos_x

I punish my children because I'm instructed to do so, and I'm told that the parent that spares the rod hates their child. We're told to raise them up in the way that they should go. We punish them when they disobey, so that they learn to obey. If we didn't, the foolishness that we see in the streets and the violence (like at VA Tech yesterday) would be the norm instead of the exception.

Absolutely.

We also send adults to prison, some are even put to death for their crimes. We only judge (at best) by what someone is seen doing. God looks further than that, He looks upon the very thoughts and intents of the heart. He brings into judgement every single word that everyone ever speaks, and even their thoughts. His Judgement is far superior to ours. He offers every man the opportunity to repent. God punishes because the guilty deserve their fate. He also offers forgiveness to anyone who wants to drink of The Waters of Life. Not one drop of That Water is available to those in hell. No one who is sentenced there will ever escape.

...too bad the picture you paint here serves no purpose whatsoever except maintaining an eternal Auschwich from which people can't escape and in which they continue to suffer forever.

If God wants to be rid of them, then why not just leave them dead? Why make them immortal and THEN make them suffer forever?

Aimiel

...too bad the picture you paint here serves no purpose whatsoever except maintaining an eternal Auschwich from which people can't escape and in which they continue to suffer forever.
It keeps evil from escaping. Every evil being will suffer in The Lake of Fire, not just most or some. It serves to keep them from bringing any harm to anyone, anywhere; forever. It also serves as a deterrent to others (who hear Truth and believe). Because we're told that hell is real and that we should fear Him Who has The Power to cast body and soul into hell, many have repented and come into relationship with The Living God. You find no purpose in it because you see it as imaginary and false. You need to take off your blinders to see Truth. :cool:
If God wants to be rid of them, then why not just leave them dead?
He is The God of The Living. He created man a living soul. He gives life, not death.

logos_x

It keeps evil from escaping. Every evil being will suffer in The Lake of Fire, not just most or some. It serves to keep them from bringing any harm to anyone, anywhere; forever. It also serves as a deterrent to others (who hear Truth and believe). Because we're told that hell is real and that we should fear Him Who has The Power to cast body and soul into hell, many have repented and come into relationship with The Living God. You find no purpose in it because you see it as imaginary and false. You need to take off your blinders to see Truth. :cool:He is The God of The Living. He created man a living soul. He gives life, not death.

...and there you have it boys and girls.

Isn't that wonderful?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Show us a verse where Jesus used a word that means "endless aion" when He spoke of judgements. Show us where people live forever without Christ. Show where the wicked are granted immortality in their unbelieving condition.

How many times have I pointed out 1 Corinthians 15:13-29?
How about the verses I pointed to in the last post I made in response to Kevin?

How about from the other direction...where the Bible says "All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul. (Psa 22:29)

That I have pointed out what aion and it's adjectives REALLY mean should not be a problem if what you believe is true. You should be able to have the Bible say what it says without having to change anything. So, the real question is...what do you do if the words HAVE been changed in the translation.

I haven't changed anything...the translators have. By saying aion is endless without anything that says it's endless.

Why is this an insurmountable problem for you?
Better yet, why do you believe that billions in torment is a better and more accurate representaion of the outcome of God's creation and ability to save?
I'll give you a little longer to find a verse. Pointing back at all the noise does not constitute proof. Here are two examples of verses similar to what you would be looking for:

Matthew 24:41 (YLT) 41Then shall he say also to those on the left hand, Go ye from me, the cursed, to the fire, the age-during, that hath been prepared for the Devil and his messengers;

Revelations 20:10 (YLT)
10and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [are] the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night -- to the ages of the ages.

Matthew 7:13-14 (YLT)
13`Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide [is] the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it;
14how strait [is] the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Note that I used Youngs Literal Translation. The passages from Matthew were spoken by Jesus. The first states quite clearly that the cursed are to be sent to the fire prepared for the devil. The second clearly states that the wide gate leads to destruction and many will go to that destruction.

The quote from Revelations indicates that the lake of fire and brimstone lasts for ages and ages and does not say anything about getting out of it when the ages of ages (just how ling is that anyway?) is over.
You must see by now that verses you post as proof have not convinced anybody that you are right. They would not appear to offer the proof you claim.

So the proof I seek from you is a verse where Jesus says:
1) You have second chance toreceive Jesus as your savior after you die.
2) Jesus's teaching on what happens after the age-during of the lake of fire is over.

Don't post the same verses because they don't work. You post them and post them and they convice no one. It is time to try something different. It is time to offer verses as direct as the verses spoken by Jesus.

You find them, I am convinced. You can't ind them then...

logos_x

I'll give you a little longer to find a verse. Pointing back at all the noise does not constitute proof. Here are two examples of verses similar to what you would be looking for:

Matthew 24:41 (YLT) 41Then shall he say also to those on the left hand, Go ye from me, the cursed, to the fire, the age-during, that hath been prepared for the Devil and his messengers;

Revelations 20:10 (YLT)
10and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [are] the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night -- to the ages of the ages.

Matthew 7:13-14 (YLT)
13`Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide [is] the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it;
14how strait [is] the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Note that I used Youngs Literal Translation. The passages from Matthew were spoken by Jesus. The first states quite clearly that the cursed are to be sent to the fire prepared for the devil. The second clearly states that the wide gate leads to destruction and many will go to that destruction.

The quote from Revelations indicates that the lake of fire and brimstone lasts for ages and ages and does not say anything about getting out of it when the ages of ages (just how ling is that anyway?) is over.
You must see by now that verses you post as proof have not convinced anybody that you are right. They would not appear to offer the proof you claim.

So the proof I seek from you is a verse where Jesus says:
1) You have second chance toreceive Jesus as your savior after you die.
2) Jesus's teaching on what happens after the age-during of the lake of fire is over.

Don't post the same verses because they don't work. You post them and post them and they convice no one. It is time to try something different. It is time to offer verses as direct as the verses spoken by Jesus.

You find them, I am convinced. You can't ind them then...

If Jesus never taught eternal torment to begin with, why woulfd there be the need for such an explicit description?

Nevertheless..I've already provided verses in abundance...and you still aren't convinced.

So...once again...here's a few more...

Ephesians 2:8- "For in grace, through faith, are you saved, and this is not out of you." Salvation comes through faith, and it has to be given by God...correct?

Romans 12:3 "God grants to each the measure of faith."
We arrive at the conclusion that salvation comes through faith, and only God can give it...correct?

1 Timothy 4:10: "God is the Savior of all mankind."

So...to be the Savior of all mankind, He has to save all mankind...correct?

And since salvation comes through faith, He has to give faith to all mankind...sometime, ....correct?

So...what would stand in the way of this happening?
Only one thing. An eternal Hell. A Hell that does not allow that to happen...and does not allow it to happen for all future time.

So...my question to you is, why would God want to create an eternal Hell to begin with, when He has everything in place to save all mankind...and the only thing that could possibly stop that outcome is to make an eternal Hell?

Prove that is what God intends to do...and I'll show you a double-minded God.

PKevman

logos_x said:
No..you rely solely upon the English translations that say the the aions are endless.

Good grief you just continue on and on with this error even after it has been exposed. If you only listen to one side of things, then you will only hear that side: i.e. the side of the Universalists. Again there are tons of REPUTABLE Greek scholars who completely disagree with your views. You have EVEN ADMITTED that those who hold your position are in the vast minority among Greek scholars. You attribute it to years of brainwashing on eternal judgment, instead of just that they know the Greek far better than the fools at Tentmaker who have shaken their fist at God and decided what THEY want the Bible to say!

You say the onus of proof is on me

It is because you are denying the clear words of Scripture and attempting to say they don't actually say what they say! And in order to believe that you must take only the translations that are friendly to Universalist doctrine, even when they are shown to be in error by serious Greek scholars!

and then reject whatever proof I offer, and reject the sources

That's right, I believe the Bible and God over ANY person or group of people, Stephen.
...even the comentaries of the scholars that agree with what I've said about the words used in the Hebrew and Greek texts.

I am sure they would be unable to defend those positions in a debate with a solid Greek scholar!

So...Kevin, what would you have me do? Throw up my hands and give up the argument? Quit in disgust?

No, re-examine your position and see if it be truly Scriptural. Shut yourself off from these people who have misled you and look at some different sources that refute your Universalist theology. Then see if your doctrine can stand. Agree to sit down with me for lunch (since we live close), and let's talk about this in person.

Why is the onus of proof on me?

Because your positions aren't Biblical buddy. I'm sorry but they just aren't.

Why is it that the onus of proof isn't on you?

Because I have done my part and shown the Scriptural side of my argument. I have answered every single question you gave in the BR, and asked tons that you never answered and still haven't really answered SCRIPTURALLY because Universalism cannot at its core be defended from the Bible!

How is it that everything I've said is invalid?

Strawman. I never said EVERYTHING you have said is invalid. Just the things that have been heavily affected by Universalism!

WHY are you right about "what the Bible DIRECTLY says" no matter what,

It is always possible for ME a human being, to be wrong! It is not possible for God's Word to be wrong. This isn't about ME. It's about God and His Word!

while you are at variance with many scriptures...

I have repeatedly said if I believe something that is at variance with Scripture that I would abandon that. The problem you have is in trying to make it out as if I am dishonest intellectually and ignoring things being shown to me purposefully, when I would never do that. If you had shown me the Scriptural answers that I asked for, I would certainly be able to consider your arguments a little more! But you didn't do that, because there are no answers to be found in the Bible to questions such as how do fallen angels get their sins payed for in your belief? You have to make up answers and guess, and theorize as to how Satan and the fallen angels are saved. You have to add to the Bible to claim that anyone in the Lake of Fire gets out, because that isn't shown ANYWHERE!

Here's a question for you that you still haven't answered: IF your belief system is right, why does the Bible CLEARLY show them being thrown in the Lake of Fire, and NOWHERE does it CLEARLY show them being allowed OUT?

which I continue to point out...and explain THOSE away according to your doctrine?

I believe the Bible, not "doctrines" that are made up!

Where have I attacked the credibility of the scriptures, Kevin?

All the time Stephen. All the time. But you don't see it because this belief system has blinded you my friend.

All I've done is point out what the words in those scriptures are in the original language they were written in. I am in disagreement with the way SOME Bibles have translated those texts.

Only because of things you have read from people who hold those positions. You have admitted that you aren't a Greek scholar yourself.

It is not my fault that the translation YOU rely upon have some flaws that are worthy of being corrected...and it isn't a matter of how I WANT them translated, its a matter of what they actually say, Kevin.

If that were the case I would have embraced Universalism long ago.

On this Iv'e pointed out that the Bible uses aion and it's adjectives, never says they are endless.

Despite the many times it has been shown to you that the word CAN and most often DOES mean forever.

Now...why do you think the ones I have used...primarily the Weymouth New Testament, and Young's Literal, and the Rotherham, and the Concordant....are unreliable? Is it because that don't teach eternal torment and stick to the actual meaning of the Greek? Or because you know that they are unreliable in some way? Or is it that you know the ones you use have to be right because they are the ones that are sold the most?

they have been regarded as unreliable and weak translations virtually since they came out. Sure it is possible for the majority to be wrong-see Calvinism as an example of that. BUT this isn't the case here.

Kevin...what makes you think anyone is MY cronie?

It's a figure of speech Stephen, I am sorry I didn't mean to be offensive.

And, I'm sorry, but aren't you, also, reposting the same exact arguments over and over again.

No in fact this entire post has mostly been new stuff. :cloud9:

I'm still awaiting the one that says they will be in there forever.

Then you are blindly ignoring them. And that answer still doesn't show them getting out! Forgetting the debate for the moment on forever, why does it show them CLEARLY being cast in, but no CLEAR reference of them getting out? If I saw the Bible say somewhere, "And those who had formerly been in the Lake of Fire were seen to be rejoicing God for the salvation given to them" something of that nature, then I would have no problem agreeing with your doctrine. (Although it would sure raise a host of other questions because then the Bible would be in conflict with itself). But thank the Lord that the Bible doesn't contradict itself and no such verse or verses exist!

Romans 11:36

36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

A Scripture ascribing praise to God, this does NOT teach that all will be saved, Stephen. This does not say anything about the wicked being allowed out of the Lake of Fire, Stephen. This does not say anything about Satan and the fallen angels being saved. All things are about God ultimately is what this means. God is the Creator, He should be praised and glorified forever! This is also in the context of Paul revealing that Israel's rejection by God is not final, and that He will one day return to Israel, but for now has offered salvation to the gentiles. Here is the passage IN ITS IMMEDIATE CONTEXT:

33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!
34 “ For who has known the mind of the LORD? Or who has become His counselor?”
35 “ Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?”
36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

Rom. 8:20-21

How about Romans 8:18-26? How about taking it all together?

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.

It is clear that this text is about sin and it's effects on the whole of creation, and that all of creation awaits the liberty from sin that is coming. Just as WE who are Christians await the liberty that comes from leaving behind this body of sin! Again, where's the Universalism in that section of verses? Oh yes, nowhere to be found!

Eph. 6:12

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

I am not certain how the fact that the fallen angels and Satan are very organized has anything to do with their eventual salvation? Knowing that they are very organized should cause us to watch out for false doctrine as well! Wolves in sheeps clothing come along and seduce people into believing lies my friend.

Colossians 1:16-20

Colossians 1:9-20:

9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11 strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. 13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
19 For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, 20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

Wonderful passage of Scripture. It is all about the preeminence of Christ over all creation. There was false teaching from the Gnostics at the time that Paul was refuting in regards to angels having been the creators. Paul refuted them by quoting what was actually a popular hymn in the early church praising Christ for His being the head of His church AND all of creation! These verses do NOT ANYWHERE say that all will be saved! The idea of the text in verses 19-20is that through the sacrifice of Christ, peace will be restored in God's creation where now there is enmity and rebellion against God. The fullness in verse 19 is specifically speaking of Christ as our intercessor and the full embodiment of God. This was important because some false teachers were ascribing some intercessory powers to angels! Christ is the ONLY intercessor! (See 1 Timothy 2:5)

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

AMEN! Notice it doesn't say "He who believes in me after He is dead, will live!" I know that is what Universalism tries to force upon this text, but it doesn't say that at all. It says:
NKJV-25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.

NASB- 25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,

Amplified- 25Jesus said to her, I am [Myself] the Resurrection and the Life. Whoever believes in (adheres to, trusts in, and relies on) Me, although he may die, yet he shall live;

Believers in Jesus Christ do not have to fear death is the message of this verse very clearly! Again, it doesn't say "He who believes in my AFTER he dies shall live!"

I haven't seen any shattering yet

Of course you haven't because you aren't looking for it! :wave:

God bless!

PKevman

You don't have to shout. Your posts will have more emphasis if you use some thought before BANGING them out on your keyboard violently; besides being easier to read (ALL CAPS is harder to read than proper upper and lower case type). Don't worry, though, I'm not going to spank you. Just don't let it happen again.

The other thing is that unbelievers are NOT God's children, so the discipline for purpose rings hollow! God disciplines His children (Christians), and those disciplines have corrective purposes. God's PUNISHMENT of unbelievers is not discipline, but judgment!

logos_x

It is always possible for ME a human being, to be wrong! It is not possible for God's Word to be wrong. This isn't about ME. It's about God and His Word!

I feel the same way, Kevin

PastorKevin said:
I have repeatedly said if I believe something that is at variance with Scripture that I would abandon that. The problem you have is in trying to make it out as if I am dishonest intellectually and ignoring things being shown to me purposefully, when I would never do that.

The problem I have is attempting to prove my view without resorting to this.

It was never my intention to to make out that you are dishonest intellectually. All I want to do is point out where you might want to reconsider your position, and examine fully what the Word says.

This is why I have debated as I have.

The problem is, you are resistant out of the gate. You believe eternal torment to be true...and you have taken it upon yourself to fight for it.

I'm resistant to eternal torment being the truth. I believe the salvation of all men is the most scriptural position...and have taken it upon myself to fight for it.

So...you think you have proven eternal torment...and I think I've proven the Salvation of all men. You view my arguments as false, and I view your arguments are false.

It is as it has always been. We are either convinced about either view, or not.

I think most people have problems with eternal torment...even those who believe in it.
But, most of all, I think it causes people to distrust God more than any other thing in existance....I think it has very far reaching implications that are negative effects upon the people we are trying to reach, and even the people we have reached.

You indicated a rejection of Calvinistic teachings...which at it's core teaches that people that go to Hell are predestined to go there. Have you ever considered that the real problem with that doctrine is what it teaches about Hell itself?

I don't know, but it appears there is no convincing that can be accomplished utilizing an internet forum to get it done on this particular topic. people get so invested in formulating a rebuttal that they miss what is actually being argued.

At any rate...I guess it's time to throw up my hands in disgust and abandon this effort.

...as a side note, on this date, April 17 1521 Martin Luther was excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church. Seems to be a fitting day to stop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.