Boko Haram refuses to release girl because she won't accept Islam

Gary K

Banned
This is the story of a girl with character and a great love for God. This girl's parents are to be commended for raising their girl right. A girl who values principle over all else. If this world was more like her it would be a far better place to live..

[h=2]Boko Haram refused to release a 15-year-old Christian girl kidnapped this month along with 110 other schoolgirls because she rebuffed the terrorist organization’s efforts to convert her to Islam, her parents revealed.[/h] Leah Sharibu is the only one of the abducted girls still held by the Boko Haram jihadists “because she refused to convert to Islam,” stressed USA Today.
Nathan Sharibu, the girl’s father, recently told the newspaper:
My daughter is alive, but they wouldn’t release her because she is a Christian. They told her they would release her if she converted, but she said she will never become a Muslim. I am very sad, but I am also overjoyed because my daughter did not denounce Christ.
Echoing Mr. Sharibu, the girl’s mother, Rebecca Sharibu, also indicated the jihadists are not releasing her daughter because she refuses to denounce her Christian faith.

The rest of this article can be found at Breitbart: http://www.breitbart.com/national-s...ase-girl-because-she-refuses-denounce-christ/

Gary K

Banned
Islam is sicko evil.

While I agree that it is, this story is about one tough little girl who is standing up to threats of death and violence against her where she has nobody but God to lean on for support. Her parents taught her right from wrong and not only who God is but how she can rely on God in all circumstances. To me this is an incredibly moving testimony to a 15 year old girl's faith in God.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
While I agree that it is, this story is about one tough little girl who is standing up to threats of death and violence against her where she has nobody but God to lean on for support. Her parents taught her right from wrong and not only who God is but how she can rely on God in all circumstances. To me this is an incredibly moving testimony to a 15 year old girl's faith in God.
Absolutely.

Greg Jennings

Islam is not compatible with Christianity.

In what way?

They were compatible in the Ottoman Empire, in Iraq and Syria pre-ISIS (the aforementioned terrorists), and in Jerusalem for the past 1500 years.

Works pretty well in the US too. There are fewer differences between Christianity and Islam ideologically than there are between Christianity and Judaism. Muslims at least revere Jesus. Jews do not.

Would you say that Jews and Christians are incompatible as well?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Jesus set aside religious hatreds, telling people to emulate a despised Samaritan who had charity for others, rather than religiously-correct people who don't have charity.

What He did for us, was show us the way out of the cycle of death caused by tribal hatreds. Those who try to turn faith in Him into another tribe are doing what Boko Haram is doing.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus set aside religious hatreds, telling people to emulate a despised Samaritan who had charity for others, rather than religiously-correct people who don't have charity.

What He did for us, was show us the way out of the cycle of death caused by tribal hatreds. Those who try to turn faith in Him into another tribe are doing what Boko Haram is doing.
Was the wounded man of the same ethnicity or have the same religion as the Samaritan that helped him?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Was the wounded man of the same ethnicity or have the same religion as the Samaritan that helped him?

Jesus doesn't think it mattered, so He didn't say. His point was that it made no difference. You have the same responsibility to love everyone, even if they don't believe what you do. Do you agree?

He chose a Samaritan to be the good guy, precisely because He wanted to challenge the tribal thinking of the Pharisees. It was a deliberate provocation to get the Pharisees to think.

He wants you to think about it, too.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus doesn't think it mattered, so He didn't say. His point was that it made no difference. You have the same responsibility to love everyone, even if they don't believe what you do. Do you agree?

He chose a Samaritan to be the good guy, precisely because He wanted to challenge the tribal thinking of the Pharisees. It was a deliberate provocation to get the Pharisees to think.

He wants you to think about it, too.
I do not think the story is about being accepting of other faiths at all.

Helping anyone with physical distress, yes.
But in no way, shape, or form is the story implying to be accepting of their faith.
I've said many times that Satan could show up in disguise at my door hungry and I would give him bread, simply because it is the humane thing to do.
But I don't have to be tolerant of his faith at all.
Nor do I have to invite him to join my community.

To suggest the story is suggesting an analogy that Christians should invite or tolerate the faith of Islam with open arms is a bunch of hooey.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I do not think the story is about being accepting of other faiths at all.

As I showed you, Jesus was showing you that a Samaritan who had mercy on the unfortunate was to be emulated in preference to a religiously-correct Levite who did not.

Helping anyone with physical distress, yes.

If you think that's the point of the parable, you haven't listened to a thing He told you.

But in no way, shape, or form is the story implying to be accepting of their faith.

It's even worse, from your point of view. He's telling you to be accepting of them as people.

I've said many times that Satan could show up in disguise at my door hungry and I would give him bread, simply because it is the humane thing to do.

You're still trying to downgrade His word to "it's good to help the needy." That's not what He's saying to you here.

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

When you understand this, you're with Him.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As I showed you, Jesus was showing you that a Samaritan who had mercy on the unfortunate was to be emulated in preference to a religiously-correct Levite who did not.

If you think that's the point of the parable, you haven't listened to a thing He told you.

It's even worse, from your point of view. He's telling you to be accepting of them as people.

You're still trying to downgrade His word to "it's good to help the needy." That's not what He's saying to you here.

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

When you understand this, you're with Him.
Not one thing in all that says that we should accept another faith.
You are adding an element to the story that is not there.

Galatians 1 KJV
(8) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
(9) As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.​

Does that sound anything like we are suppose to accept and welcome one of different faiths?
Nope.
The faith of Islam is not compatible with the faith of Christianity.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Not one thing in all that says that we should accept another faith.

But you're the one who brought that up. Jesus didn't tell us to accept all faiths; he said we were to accept all people as our neighbors. That's the part of His message you reject.

You are, by pretending it's about accepting other faiths, adding an element to the story that is not there.

Does that sound anything like we are suppose to accept and welcome one of different faiths?

Nope. That was your straw man. He's telling us that we are supposed to accept all people as our neighbors.

Your refusal to accept this is not compatible with the faith of Christianity.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But you're the one who brought that up.
No I am not the one that brought up the verse in response to Islam not being compatible with Christianity.
The verse has nothing to do with making Islam and Christianity compatible.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Tambora argues that the Good Samaritan isn't about accepting other religions)

Barbarian observes:
But you're the one who brought that up.

No I am not the one that brought up the verse in response to Islam not being compatible with Christianity.

You were.

The verse has nothing to do with making Islam and Christianity compatible.

But you're the only one making that argument so you can shoot it down. Where you oppose Jesus is in refusing to accept that His parable tells us to accept all people as neighbors.

Gary K

Banned
Here is a much better Biblical story for explaining Jesus' veiws on the relative merits of the Jewish vs the Samaritan religions.

John 4: 5 Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.
6 Now Jacob’s well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.
7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.
27 ¶And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?
28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,
29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?
30 Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.
31 ¶In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat.
32 But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.
33 Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat?
34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.
39 ¶And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.
40 So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.
41 And many more believed because of his own word;
42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

Now just where did Jesus say that the religion of the Samaritans was equal to the religion of the Jews? Here's a clue. He didn't. He told the Samaritan woman that the Samaritans didn't even understand what they worshipped. You will find nothing in the Bible that equates all religions as being of equal value. It simply does not exist. We are to love our neighbors, but loving our neighbor has nothing to do with the value of his religion, the quality of his ethics or his values. Jesus taught anything but the equality of all religions. He said there is but one way to heaven: through Him.

You just can't get away from marxist dogma, barby.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Here is a much better Biblical story for explaining Jesus' veiws on the relative merits of the Jewish vs the Samaritan religions.

Any verse would have been better, since the parable of the Good Samaritan is about all people being our neighbors, not a comparison of religions. Tambora's argument with Christ is in his assertion that one should emulate a person who has charity for others, regardless of his religion.

Now just where did Jesus say that the religion of the Samaritans was equal to the religion of the Jews?

You and Tambora seem to be arguing with yourselves. Jesus wasn't telling us we should respect all relgions equally; he was saying a Samaritan with charity should be emulated rather than a Levite who does not. Just that simple. You don't get it, because you don't agree with him on this point.

Here's a clue. He didn't.

You finally got around to reading my posts. Well done.

He told the Pharisees that they should emulate the man who had mercy on the injured person. And he led them into that by using a hated Samaritan as the person with mercy for others. You're completely off in even suggesting that it has anything to do with religions being equal. It's saying we should all regard other people as our neighbors regardless of their beliefs, as the Samaritan did.

Well, you thought the Cato Institute is Marxist, so we understand why you think so.

Just memorize this: Marxists favor government intervention in trade; libertarians oppose it.

If you can just get that, your misunderstanding will go away.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Now just where did Jesus say that the religion of the Samaritans was equal to the religion of the Jews? Here's a clue. He didn't. He told the Samaritan woman that the Samaritans didn't even understand what they worshipped. You will find nothing in the Bible that equates all religions as being of equal value. It simply does not exist. We are to love our neighbors, but loving our neighbor has nothing to do with the value of his religion, the quality of his ethics or his values. Jesus taught anything but the equality of all religions. He said there is but one way to heaven: through Him.

Exactly.
Helping a person in physical need is not the same as accepting their faith.

Not to mention that the question the Jewish leaders asked was "Who is my neighbor?" in response to the command to love thy neighbor.
In the story, was the man that was hurt said to be the good neighbor, or the man that helped?