Bob Talks to Kids about Evolution

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Now alate would agree with me that common morphologies and common anatomies dont neccesarily indicate two animals are directly related to one common ancestor. Alate would argue that it does indicate one common ancestor for all life on the planet. That is one interpretation. Another interpretation is that many times common morphologies and anatomies are indicative of design. All automobiles have wheels and an engine. What works very well for one creature can also work very well for another. Why radically engineer something different? The spine is found in all chordates. It is a very effiient organ used to transmit signals very fast. Why not use the same basic spine plan in thousands of organisms if it works very well? Why not just tweek it a little from one organism to the next? To me, it is just as valid an interpretation than morphologies and anatomies being passed down to a new organism when it evolves from another. Besides, how do you explain identical morphologies and anatomies appearing in the fossil record all at the same time in organisms from very different lineages?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Scratch the idea of anatomies being found in the fossil record. I realized my mistake soon after i typed it. Now im going to read where i left off yesterday.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
I started reading again and i cant help but reply with a retort against what i see as bait and switch even if unintentional. The link for the tree frogs was given with the intention of showing that a change in genome size does not necessarily mean a change in morphology. I Had in mind a larger genome with different content in the extra size than could be found in the smaller genome. Copes southern tree frog merely duplicated its former genome and is now twice the size of the north american tree frog. The only real difference is a mutated section that nows allows for a shorter call. The 2 frogs are identical because there are no new sequences in copes frog, just duplicated ones.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Alateone. I said the exact chromosome in both the chimp and human should be exactly the same(#6 for example) . I said i did not know if that had been established. You said it did. It is not established if it doesnt follow a criteria like this one....... Chromosome 6 in both humans and chimps should contain exactly the same genes and these genes should be at the exact nucleotide distance from the beginning of the chromsome in each animal. You should be able to take a section of non coding dna that is the exact same nucleotide distance from the beginning in both organisms and the exact same nucleotide length of the section. These sequences should have exactly the sa order of nucleotides. In other words, you should be able to count 300 nucleotides from the beginning of the section and arrive at exactly the same nucleotide.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Please provide me a link where chimp human homologous genomes have been demonstrating in an exacting fashion as i have asked for.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It isn't irrelavent when you make a statement that species is silly, whatever you propose as an alternative must be LESS silly otherwise you're a hypocrite. Which is exactly what, in every conversation, you reveal yourself to be.
I am under no obligation to reveal any alternative and I am utterly justified in calling silly what I consider silly and providing good reason. I have done that. Species is a silly term, vague and malleable. Your response is to launch into an assault upon the term "kind" which is clearly defined and very understandable.

This has nothing to do with hypocrisy on my part and everything to do with your inability to involve yourself in civil and rational discourse.

The definition includes "potentially interbreeding".
I know. It equivocates.

Scientists don't call the same species that lives on different continents different species just because they don't usually interbreed due to distance.
Never said they did. :idunno:

Sure it does. If it's a definitive classification you should be able to tell me what is a kind and what isn't very easily.
Nope. You're flat out wrong. Having a definitive classification system and the process of classifying individuals are two utterly distinct things.

You need to think things through a little more carefully.

You're the one using common ancestry as the basis for your categorization. You should know that biologists know that ALL organisms share a common ancestor if you go back far enough, so using that as a distinction is truly meaningless.
Only if you first assume the truth of your evolutionary theory.

Not consistently as one group breeds with another. Ligers are consistently larger than either parent, whereas tigons are consistently smaller than either parent. That tells you there's some serious genetic difficulties between the two groups.
Yeah...

Growing larger isn't necessarily a good thing.
And living longer?

There's an imbalance of growth hormones.
Or maybe it's just a different balance. They don't seem to have any trouble surviving. :idunno:

nor do they happen naturally at any frequency at all outside of a zoo.
Just like the offspring of Mbuti and Inupiat. :idunno:

Y hasn't shown me any evidence that contradicts evolution.
:rotfl:

The genetics are obvious, regardless of the obviousness of the morphology.
Platitudes - the proud domain of the evolutionist.

Perhaps you don't understand the concept of "family resemblance".
And perhaps you're over-stating your case.

I guess the fact that humans resemble each other is no evidence they share a common human ancestor either. All those human races must have been separately created then, according to your logic, there's no evidence they are related.

:rotfl:

Where do you get these stupid ideas?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Alatone. Stripe gave you a strict definition of Kind. You want to know how to tell what kind an animal is. We have a vague idea what some of the kinds are but to be specific, any two animals that share a common ancestor are the same kind. You say biologists KNOW all animals share ONE common ancestor. No they don't. That is their interpretation. You can make the case for several common ancestors as well. As i have said before, the fossil record must make a clear case for common ancestry and the genetics must as well. Saying two genomes are homololgous doesn't tell me much of anything. You have to show me why you think they are. The molst important genetic qualification for common descent is the non coding dna. It must be in EXACTLY the same spot on the qenome of both animals before we can consider them as having a common ancestor.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe's definition is meaningless. All are one kind under his definition.
Only if you are locked into the notion that all things must have descended from a single common ancestor. For us scientists, we are open to alternative ideas. :thumb:

But I'm happy to see that even religious fanatics like Jukia are able to clearly and easily understand scientific terminology. :up:

Jukia

Only if you are locked into the notion that all things must have descended from a single common ancestor. For us scientists, we are open to alternative ideas. :thumb:

But I'm happy to see that even religious fanatics like Jukia are able to clearly and easily understand scientific terminology. :up:

Sorry, I was unaware of your position as a scientist. I think you are simply telling another untruth. Please advise your specific scientific background--degrees, institutions, current work, publications etc. A copy of your C.V. should suffice.

Absent that information you remain a Liar for Jesus. He would not be happy with that. Although Pastor Bob seems willing to accept that title.
Thanks.

Jukia

That's OK. Just don't do it again. :)
You're welcome. :)

And once again you are unwilling to face your prevarications. I would suggest that you are the one who should not do it again, but such a suggestion is lost on someone with no idea of how to separate fact from fiction or truth from lies.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don’t know what Disney production you are referring to, but since it was presented as “a children’s cartoon”, that establishes that it was to be taken as fictional entertainment.
Presenting science as a cartoon is the best way to convey it to children.

You really want Disney to toe the line, never openly venturing into fantasy?
Only someone who has no interest in an honest conversation would say this.

For public school teachers ignorance of correct evolutionary ideas is a valid (poor, but valid) excuse. In contrast, Enyart was not ignorant, just dishonest.
Disney can do what they want. They have no excuse not to know basic evolution. Neither do public school teachers.

I looked it up. What in that is Lamarkian to you?
Throwing spears leading to speech.

I’m sure you know Enyart better than I. You think he is so incompetent that in 30 minutes he can’t portray evolution with fidelity.
It isn't a matter of incompetence. Live radio doesn't always go the way the host wants. But if you want an apology, call him.

Jukia

Disney can do what they want. They have no excuse not to know basic evolution. Neither do public school teachers.

Then Pastor Bob should have no excuse either, correct? He uses his apparent position of authority and of someone who knows what he is talking about to misrepresent science to children. If he does not know what he is talking about his should not. If he misrepresents on purpose (gets my vote) he is simply shameful and it amazes me that Pastor Bob and those like him believe his God supports his misstatements

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you actually read context before you jump in and make random comments? volt specifically asked about morphology. And yes morphology is one part of evidence, it certainly isn't all of it.
It's such a teeny tiny part of the evidence that it's a good topic for you to discuss.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Y hasn't shown me any evidence that contradicts evolution.
One of the reasons I know I'm right and you are wrong is that I acknowledge evolution's strengths, while you can't even acknowledge even the slightest weakness of evolution.

DavisBJ

One of the reasons I know I'm right and you are wrong is that I acknowledge evolution's strengths, while you can't even acknowledge even the slightest weakness of evolution.
This is one of the goofiest rationales I have ever seen for determining if something is correct. Don’t make the determination based on the merits of the arguments, but on the demeanor of the people arguing. As irascible as Newton was personally, I guess Yorzhik would feel no compunction at rejecting Newton’s Law of Gravity.

DavisBJ

Presenting science as a cartoon is the best way to convey it to children.
That does not necessitate that it be presented incorrectly, as Enyart elected to do.
Only someone who has no interest in an honest conversation would say this.
Once again, I am striving to hold an honest conversation. But if my approach transgresses some arcane personal rule you have, then feel free to walk away.
Your continued focus on trying to spread the blame for Enyart’s false presentation of evolution is noted. At least you have given up any pretense of defending your original assertion that you “find it unlikely he was using Lamarkian arguments”. But a straightforward admission on your part that Enyart was wrong would show some semblance of integrity on your part, instead of trying to distract the issue by casting blame on Disney and textbooks and teachers.
Throwing spears leading to speech.
Why is that Lamarkian?
It isn't a matter of incompetence. Live radio doesn't always go the way the host wants.
Enyart frequently boasts of besting numerous high-profile opponents on his show. But now you say he couldn’t even correctly guide the ideas he was presenting to really young kids from his own church. Come on Yorzhik, you said you listened to the show. This is embarrassing seeing this level of excuses come from you.

ApologeticJedi

When I was in high school many years ago the giraffe argument of stretching their necks was in my textbook. I would say that was silly.

The problem with arguing against evolution is that it is like trying to nail jello to a wall. Our current knowledge of evolution has been altered after each new finding (often claimed by necessity according to finders). Granted, referencing the giraffe view is campy, but allows people not to be duped should they come across the same textbook I got saddled with in the 80s.