Bob Talks to Kids about Evolution

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
So Voltaire, just for the record, you're saying that in those seven million years or so, there are no transitional forms between chimp morphology and human morphology?

Also, are there any of these traits that are evolved ones for apes, with more primitive apes lacking them?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
No barbarian. The evolutionist position is that both chimps and humans evolved from great apes. I am making no claims about the number of so called transitional fossils between the first great ape and man. There arent any transitional fossils between chimps and humans since that is not the ancestral line you guys claim. I am saying there is an immense amount of human morphology that has supposedly evolved since the appearance of the first great ape 7 million years ago. How can random mutation and natural selection account for this?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You, like a lot of creationists, carry the criticisms of Haeckel beyond his flawed work and into other areas.

Haeckel's idea that the development of the embryo follows the same path as the evolution of its ancestors, is what's referred to by the O-R-P phrase, and this idea was discredited more than 100 years ago.

The O-R-P idea, by the way, contradicts the Darwinian understanding of evolution, so discrediting Haeckel's ideas strengthened Darwin's.

However, and this is an important point, the homology of embryos across different species is strong evidence for evolution. Putting pictures or drawings of the similar embryos of that stage into biology textbooks, is completely appropriate.

Edit: Please read this short article from yesterday about embryonic development, and watch the video that shows how the human face is pulled together from a more fish-looking early embryo.
You were doing well until the edit. The only reason to say that we inherit similar embryonic development to fish is if one assumes evolution first.

Until we actually find out what DNA is making a human face and compare that to what DNA makes a fish, we have no basis to say we've inherited development from fish. The looks mean nothing.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Barbarian asks if voltaire realizes that there are transitional forms, and if he thinks that there are evolved characteristics in chimps not found in primitive apes)

No barbarian.

Chimp%20afarensis%20human%20denta.jpg

Surprise.

The evolutionist position is that both chimps and humans evolved from great apes. I am making no claims about the number of so called transitional fossils between the first great ape and man.

So you're claiming none of these are primitive characters found in early apes? That's contradicted by the evidence.

I am making no claims about the number of so called transitional fossils between the first great ape and man. There arent any transitional fossils between chimps and humans since that is not the ancestral line you guys claim.

But there are transitional characteristics between chimps and humans, since both retain some primitive ape characteristics.

I am saying there is an immense amount of human morphology that has supposedly evolved since the appearance of the first great ape 7 million years ago.

Not very much, and much of it is pleiotropic. The facial/neck/larynx/skull capacity differences are largely neotonic, which relate to retarded development in humans. It's why young apes look more like humans.

Your argument is largely "Gee whiz, I can't figure out how that could have changed in seven million years, so it can't happen."

How can random mutation and natural selection account for this?

Neotony. This has been known for a long time. D'Arcy Thompson showed how the human skull and face reflect a retardation of development.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You were doing well until the edit. The only reason to say that we inherit similar embryonic development to fish is if one assumes evolution first.

Until we actually find out what DNA is making a human face and compare that to what DNA makes a fish, we have no basis to say we've inherited development from fish. The looks mean nothing.

You might want to read Sean Carroll's Endless Forms, Most Beautiful.

It will be a revelation for you.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I gather you've realized citing Disney as an example was not a very good tactic. If someone does that, then the conclusion follows.
Disney was cited as an influence in children. That would have been plain to any reader that didn't harbor all the rage and hatred you have for honest conversation on this topic.

So far, it's been able to handle everything. And so far, when we get to the bottom of those "Lamarckian" examples, none of them are Lamarckian. As you know, in every case, mutation plus natural selection turns out to be sufficient.
Again, your under-welling rage and hatred drives you to mis-represent the truth. When you say "As you know", you have no excuse not to be well aware that I've pointed out compelling evidence that NS is not a factor in most cases when a mutation occurs, including those mutations that are the initial requirements for a new feature.

Nope. That's just a fact that Haeckel tried to extend into a non-Darwinian theory. Some of your guys had holy tantrums when they removed the drawings and used photos instead.

Showed the same thing.
No they don't. Here's a word from grand poobah Ken Miller himself: http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/embryos/Haeckel.html

Indeed, sometimes they don't "look" alike because of enlarged yolk sacks or other reasons. The reason most of them look alike is because their development follows from the same tissues in the same way. The (by looks) dodge is the creationist attempt to get around the deeper, histological and chemical evidence.

Nice try, though.
Nice spin. You should learn to control your rage and hatred and you could have come up with the following quote below alone instead of the insult above so we could have a civil and honest conversation.

And yes, that our development is constrained by evolutionary history is evidence for the fact.
It's only evidence if you first assume evolution is true. Otherwise, you'd also have to consider that there aren't a great number of different ways to start an embryo. But even so, I'll bet when we have more data we'll find the DNA directing the development is so widely varied that correlations to looks will be irrelevant.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Im not going down the rabbit trails you set up barbarian. Here it is as simply as i can put it. There are several differences between modern apes and humans that were either gained by one of them or lost by one of them over a 7 million year period of time. You mention pleiotropism and retardation. You dont say a thing about random mutation and natural selection. Are you saying that this process played no role at all in most of these differences? What do you mean these differences are not huge? Can you explain how you achieve any of these differences in a short period of time?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
So you're claiming none of
these are primitive
characters found in early
apes? That's contradicted by
the evidence.-------no barbarian. I'm claiming that IF any of these characters where present in the earliest apes (7 million years ago), they have since been lost by the so called great ape.... homo sapiens. You still have to account for how homo lost them. Are you going to claim mutation and natural selection? If not, then what was the mechanism?

ApologeticJedi

Even Googling,

Firstly I'd like to point out to anyone reading along that I am not a prophet. It is simply that some peoples' minds are very easy to get a step ahead of and predict where they will go.

you didn't do so well, inserting "equilibrium" and failing to note the creative aspect of natural selection in Darwin's theory.

Complaining about equilibrium is silly since the same concept you are asking for is found adumbrated there the word. (granted your vocabulary skills have already begun to be embarrassing bad -- see "precise" -- so who knows what you think it means). It is like complaining that someone used different words to express the same point. Maybe a very bad school teacher might do something like that, but in real life no one complains about synonyms and paraphrases save those who are afraid to enter any substance of a conversation and merely remain argumentative.

Of course any fish caught in a trap is expected to thrash about. I just figure being caught in one of your own surmise would cause some retention of dignity when doing so.

And of course, inserting genes and mutations, neither of which were part of his theory.

So now you are denying that mutations and genes exist? Oh brother!

Or are you trying to fault me for being more complete?

Let's see if you do better with the modern synthesis.

Tell us how the findings of the geneticists affected the modern synthesis.

Ive played your game and aced your test, now I must insist that you return to relevancy instead of hiding behind your tangent. Youve already admitted my knowledge of evolution is exacting for modern evolution (your beef being only that mine was too correct for your liking) so now answer the question I gave.

Look how cowardly you behave, I oblige your irrelvany tangent and instead of getting back to the point (showing anything I've said that is incorrect concerning evolution) you want to hide in your rabbit hole.

I've indulged you to the utmost, now you will have to prove that you are not afraid to stay on topic.

Last edited:

ApologeticJedi

Disney was cited as an influence in children.

Is that what this is about? He made it sound like you were giving that as your knowledge base of evolution. I shouldn't be shocked but I am.

He also complained about an actual videotaped siminar of an evolutionist saying something because YouTube isn't a credible source for showing something was said.

Notice how none of the other evolutionists have a problem with that sort of behavior? Perhaps this is a valid indictment of them all?

ApologeticJedi

So you don't think that cats, dogs and bears could be related? Or that New and old world monkeys are related?

Could be? Are you expanding what I think to what I think possible? Sure I know of no reason unknown to the rest of mankind why it would be impossible. Perhaps the interdependent systems that creationists speak of, but I am no expert on those.

But no, that was not what I was saying.

What I meant to say is that I find it unlikely. I am cynical about it. I find the differences reported in families to be stark unless the main and most frequent method if evolution is in fact massive and quick and not slow and steady as I was taught. Certainly I've heard scientists even interviewed on NPR that have suggested as much (or something like it) but without any good numbers to make calculations on I question whether they can hope to close the gaps fast enough.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Disney was cited as an influence in children. That would have been plain to any reader that didn't harbor all the rage and hatred you have for honest conversation on this topic.

Sounds like projection. We were talking about what science teaches, and suddenly Disney is an authority. You don't like that being examined, for obvious reasons.

Barbarian observes:
So far, it's been able to handle everything. And so far, when we get to the bottom of those "Lamarckian" examples, none of them are Lamarckian. As you know, in every case, mutation plus natural selection turns out to be sufficient.

Again, your under-welling rage and hatred drives you to mis-represent the truth.

It was my discussion on plieotropism that gave it away, um? :think:

When you say "As you know", you have no excuse not to be well aware that I've pointed out compelling evidence that NS is not a factor in most cases when a mutation occurs, including those mutations that are the initial requirements for a new feature.

As you should know, scientists long ago showed that mutations do not appear as needed, but randomly. Natural selection does not cause mutations, except in the trivial sense of some bacteria having higher mutation rates when stressed.

Barbarian chuckles.
Nope. That's just a fact that Haeckel tried to extend into a non-Darwinian theory. Some of your guys had holy tantrums when they removed the drawings and used photos instead.

Showed the same thing.

No they don't. Here's a word from grand poobah Ken Miller himself:
http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/ev...s/Haeckel.html

Well, let's take a look...

As you read this, you may wonder why evolution should be limited to changes tacked on at the end of the process of development. So did evolutionary biologists, and Haeckel's idea was quickly discarded. In fact, evolution can affect all phases of development, removing developmental steps as well as adding them, and therefore embryology is not a strict replay of ancestry. Nonetheless, many of the stages that embryos pass through can indeed be understood as remnants of their evolutionary past.

One example is the fact that the embryos of all placental mammals (including humans) form a yolk sac during their development. Why is this important? Because the eggs of these organisms do not have large amounts of stored yolk, and therefore their yolk sacs are empty! Nontheless, the persistence of a yolk sac stage makes perfect sense when one considers that these animals are descended from egg-laying reptiles in which the sac encloses a massive amount of yolk to support embryonic development

This idea has been pushed back into the news recently by the news that Haeckel's drawings of embryonic similarities were not correct. British embryologist Michael Richardson and his colleages published an important paper in the August 1997 issue of Anatomy & Embryology showing that Haeckel had fudged his drawings to make the early stages of embryos appear more alike than they actually are! As it turns out, Haeckel's contemporaries had spotted the fraud during his lifetime, and got him to admit it....(At Left): For examples of the early stages of development in vertebrate embryos. Unlike Haeckel's drawings, these photographs are absolutely accurate and have been taken at similar stages of development.

Top: a Fish Embryo
Next: a Chick Embryo
Next: a Pig Embryo
Bottom: a Human Embryo

Same stuff. Imagine that.

Barbarian:
Indeed, sometimes they don't "look" alike because of enlarged yolk sacks or other reasons. The reason most of them look alike is because their development follows from the same tissues in the same way. The (by looks) dodge is the creationist attempt to get around the deeper, histological and chemical evidence.

Nice try, though.

Nice spin.

For creationists, evidence is "spin." We all got that.

You should learn to control your rage and hatred and you could have come up with the following quote below alone instead of the insult above so we could have a civil and honest conversation.

Sounds like more denial. We're used to that, too.

Barbarian observes:
And yes, that our development is constrained by evolutionary history is evidence for the fact.

It's only evidence if you first assume evolution is true.

Nope. In fact, the embryological data was among the facts that convinced many scientists of the fact of evolution in the 19th century.

Even the anti-Darwinian, Karl von Baer, was finally convinced by such data:

Despite von Baer’s rejection of strict recapitulation, he did allow that species within a given archetype yet displayed virtually identical structures during the earlier stages of embryogenesis. In a famous passage, which Darwin mistakenly attributed to Louis Agassiz (1807-1873), von Baer mentioned that he had two little embryos that he forgot to label: “They might be lizards, small birds, or very young mammals. The formation of the heads and trunks in these animals is quite similar. The extremities are not yet present in these embryos. But even if they were in the first stages of development, they would not indicate anything; since the feet of lizards and mammals, the wings and feet of birds, as well as the hands and feet of men develop from the same fundamental form” (1828-1837, 1: 221).

Otherwise, you'd also have to consider that there aren't a great number of different ways to start an embryo.

Not if they have a common ancestor. But there's no reason why they should first form a blastula or that there should be poles or even why the neural crest must form first, unless it's common ancestry. If you have evidence to the contrary, now is the time to trot it out.

But even so, I'll bet when we have more data we'll find the DNA directing the development is so widely varied that correlations to looks will be irrelevant.

As you learned, "correlations to looks" is a creationist fantasy. It's not done like that. For example, the genes that form our face have their origins in the most primitive chordates:

Hox genes, neural crest cells and branchial arch patterning.
Trainor PA, Krumlauf R.
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 East 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110, USAAbstract

Proper craniofacial development requires the orchestrated integration of multiple specialized tissue interactions. Recent analyses suggest that craniofacial development is not dependent upon neural crest pre-programming as previously thought but is regulated by a more complex integration of cell and tissue interactions. In the absence of neural crest cells it is still possible to obtain normal arch patterning indicating that neural crest is not responsible for patterning all of arch development. The mesoderm, endoderm and surface ectoderm tissues play a role in the patterning of the branchial arches, and there is now strong evidence that Hoxa2 acts as a selector gene for the pathways that govern second arch structures.

shig_jaw_coords.jpg

Not exactly what you were told, um?

There's a lot more. Would you like to see more?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Ive played your game and aced your test,

You've demonstrated that you don't know the first thing about evolutionary theory, even with the aid of Google.

now I must insist that you return to relevancy instead of hiding behind your tangent. Youve already admitted my knowledge of evolution is exacting for modern evolution

(Barbarian checks) Nope. You made that up, too. That kind of thing does your credibility no good at all.

(your beef being only that mine was too correct for your liking)

(Barbarian checks)

Nope. You made that up, too. Shame on you.

Look how cowardly you behave, I oblige your irrelvany tangent and instead of getting back to the point (showing anything I've said that is incorrect concerning evolution) you want to hide in your rabbit hole.

Well, if you think I've failed to answer a question, tell me what it is, and I'll give you an answer. And I won't pretend you said things that you did not.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is that what this is about? He made it sound like you were giving that as your knowledge base of evolution. I shouldn't be shocked but I am.
Yes. The OP said Bob Enyart promoted Lamarckism on his radio show to kids. One of the things I said was that Lamarck was taught to kids in even pro-evolution venues, like Disney. That was the only reason it was brought up.

Barbie, though, can't see through his hatred and rages on by grasping onto the word "Disney" and throwing it into a spin. I think he does a good job at using it as an insult, but when the insult is so transparent and unnecessary it takes away from the other comments of more honest opposition.

He also complained about an actual videotaped siminar of an evolutionist saying something because YouTube isn't a credible source for showing something was said.
Yes, I've been reading your exchange.

Notice how none of the other evolutionists have a problem with that sort of behavior? Perhaps this is a valid indictment of them all?
I don't think they are required to calm their dog, but I hope they wouldn't let Barbie do the talking, forgoing more fruitful dialog. Although it may be they are busy, too.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yes. The OP said Bob Enyart promoted Lamarckism on his radio show to kids. One of the things I said was that Lamarck was taught to kids in even pro-evolution venues, like Disney. That was the only reason it was brought up.

Obviously not pro-evolution, since they followed the creationist party line. As you know, scientists and textbooks don't follow Lamarckan ideas.

Barbie, though, can't see through his hatred and rages

That kind of thing seems to be an obsession with you. Anyone who gets you upset seems to be accused of "hatred and rages." You'd probably do better if you could find some evidence to support your claims, instead of focusing on the evil Barbarian.

on by grasping onto the word "Disney" and throwing it into a spin. I think he does a good job at using it as an insult, but when the insult is so transparent and unnecessary it takes away from the other comments of more honest opposition.

If it made you more cautious of tossing in strawmen like that, it did its job.

I did? (Barbarian checks) Nope. I just suggested that all sorts of stupidity can be found on You Tube, and asked if he had any support in textbooks or literature. He didn't, of course. BTW, the video doesn't say what he claimed, either. Just the opposite.

Notice how none of the other evolutionists have a problem with that sort of behavior?

We definitely have a bias toward evidence. Infuriating, um?

Perhaps this is a valid indictment of them all?

Depends on what you think of reality. For us, it's a good way. For you guys, maybe not so much.

I don't think they are required to calm their dog, but I hope they wouldn't let Barbie do the talking, forgoing more fruitful dialog.

Or you could read the evidence I showed you. You might even learn something thereby. That's the point, I suppose. If you can be full of indignation at the Barbarian, then you can feel justified in not reading any of the evidence.

So you can do some more tantrums, or you can deal with the facts. Your choice. If you can calm yourself, you might perhaps address the evidence that shows "looks alike" is not the means by which scientists work out phylogenies. Genetic, biochemical, and anatomical data combine to how how basic homobox genes can account for the evolution of vertebrates.

What have you got to refute it? Besides "the Barbarian just makes me so angry!", I mean.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Evolutionists claim that australopithecus garhi was the direct ancestor of homo. Its remains were discovered in the awash valley of ethiopia and dated to 2.5 billion years ago. If animals were being butchered with stone tools and bones were broken to remove marrow, how could non humans be capable of this? The following is a detailed description of what was found.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
The remains
consist of teeth and a
partial cranium, enough to
infer a cranial capacity of
about 450 cc (about average
for the genus) but not
enough to make any
confident link with Homo.
What we have suggests
non-relationship. It had a
sagittal crest at the top of
the skull for anchoring
large chewing muscles, its
upper jaw (unlike that of
Sahelanthropus) jutted out
prominently, and although
the dental arcade was U-
shaped, the molars and
canines were huge. A few
hundred metres distant lay
an antelope bone with cuts
and percussion marks
made by stone tools. The
discarded femur of a horse
also bore cut marks. Large
mammals at this lakeside
site were being butchered
for meat and their long
bones broken to extract
marrow. Although the tools
themselves were not
recovered, stone cores and
flakes were found 96 km to
the north at Gona, where
the raw materials for tools
were plentiful. At the lake
there were no such
materials, presumably
because the butchers were
conserving their tools for
future use. Was the skull of
Australopithecus garhi also
the remains of a meal, or
the remains of one of the
tool-making meat-eaters?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Evolutionists claim that australopithecus garhi was the direct ancestor of homo.

Science 23 April 1999:
Vol. 284 no. 5414 pp. 629-635
Australopithecus garhi: A New Species of Early Hominid from Ethiopia
Berhane Asfaw, Tim White,Owen Lovejoy, Bruce Latimer,
Scott Simpson and Gen Suwa

Abstract

The lack of an adequate hominid fossil record in eastern Africa between 2 and 3 million years ago (Ma) has hampered investigations of early hominid phylogeny. Discovery of 2.5 Ma hominid cranial and dental remains from the Hata beds of Ethiopia's Middle Awash allows recognition of a new species of Australopithecus. This species is descended from Australopithecus afarensis and is a candidate ancestor for early Homo. Contemporary postcranial remains feature a derived humanlike humeral/femoral ratio and an apelike upper arm–to–lower arm ratio.

(my emphasis; not confirmed yet)

Its remains were discovered in the awash valley of ethiopia and dated to 2.5 billion years ago. If animals were being butchered with stone tools and bones were broken to remove marrow, how could non humans be capable of this?

Chimps are capable of making and using tools. They are capable of making stone tools, although we don't have any instances of it in the wild. A much more human-like ancestor with a much larger brain/body ratio would seem to be capable.

I'd like to see the data on knees, hips, phalanges, and feet before I moved it from "candidate" to "known."