Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Bob Accuses Caller of Lying

This is the show from Monday June 25th, 2007.

SUMMARY:

* Caller Says: that her friend is pregnant and that without an abortion, her friend will die. Bob calls the caller a liar, and then talks through with her the life-of-the-mother abortion issue, explaining that a doctor should never intend to kill either of his patients, neither the mother nor the child, but the goal should be to save both if at all possible, and if the child dies, that may be an unavoidable tragedy, but it is never the goal of moral healthcare provider.

* Bob Enyart & Bob Newhart: both on the same station! Ha, you've got to hear this 60-second commercial!

* Take Your Kids Out of Public School: Bob Enyart's discussion with this parent will help other parents pull their kids out of our officially godless public school system!

Today's Resource: To order the BEL Televised Classics on DVD, please call 1-800-8Enyart (800 836-9278).

dale

Is it a tubal preganancy?

Great question.

As I understand it, a tubal preganancy will kill both mother and child. Until the medical community learns how to remove the child from the tube and keep it alive, the only thing they know to do is remove the child (which always ends in it's death) to save the mother.

Silk Queen

Great question.

As I understand it, a tubal preganancy will kill both mother and child. Until the medical community learns how to remove the child from the tube and keep it alive, the only thing they know to do is remove the child (which always ends in it's death) to save the mother.
Yes that is true.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I guess saying the caller was honestly confused or misinformed didn't occur to anybody.

fool

Hall of Fame
What double talk?
The "it's not an abortion" double talk.
They smell it a mile away.
They don't listen cause they're drivein away by the smell.
And then they're gone and you standing there smelling like double talk.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The "it's not an abortion" double talk.
They smell it a mile away.
They don't listen cause they're drivein away by the smell.
And then they're gone and you standing there smelling like double talk.
What are you talking about? When did Bob say, "it's not an abortion"?

fool

Hall of Fame
What are you talking about? When did Bob say, "it's not an abortion"?
What did he say then?
What I see on the summery is "unavoidable tragedy".
Did he call it an abortion or an "unavoidable tragedy"?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
What did he say then?
What I see on the summery is "unavoidable tragedy".
Did he call it an abortion or an "unavoidable tragedy"?
You don't see the difference between chopping a preemie up into little pieces compared to delivering a preemie and doing everything you can to keep it alive for as long as possible?

dale

Is it a tubal preganancy?
Actually the girl admitted it wasn't a real situation. She said she did it because she wanted to know what Bob thought would be the right thing to do if it was.

Bob did discuss what to do as the result of a tubal pregnancy. I believe he handled it correctly. He understands that both baby and mother will die, so you do what you need to do to save the mother--abort the pregnancy (my words, not his). I realize most of you right wing, religious fanatic, homophobic, anti choice types wouldn't use those words, but, that is indeed what it is.

fool

Hall of Fame
You don't see the difference between chopping a preemie up into little pieces compared to delivering a preemie and doing everything you can to keep it alive for as long as possible?
They're both abortions are they not?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
They're both abortions are they not?
It depends if you're using the word "abortion" as it is commonly understood or technically. As it is commonly understood, "abortion" means a desire to make absolutely sure the baby dies. Technically it means to prematurely end the pregnancy. As technology advances and preemies are able to survive at younger and younger ages we might actually eventually get to the point where the baby in an "aborted" ectopic pregnancy could survive. Would that be an "abortion?" Technically, yes. But do you think Planned Parenthood would call it an abortion?

fool

Hall of Fame
Technically, yes.
There.
That wasen't so hard was it?
The age at which we can be handed a fetus and keep it alive is getting younger and younger.
But when you have to remove and you don't have the technology to transplant it or incubate it then you are performing an abortion.
You don't get to help yourself to technology you don't have to avoid the moral implications of that, your taking it out and you don't have anyplace to put it.

Some people might advocate that we should be sure it's dead before we take preemtive measures.
Bob wasen't espouseing that was he?
Most reasonable people don't.
Outside of that doing what needs doing is doing an abortion.
So your in favor of abortion to save the life of the mother.
Just say it like that and you don't have to talk in circles.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
There.
That wasen't so hard was it?
The age at which we can be handed a fetus and keep it alive is getting younger and younger.
But when you have to remove and you don't have the technology to transplant it or incubate it then you are performing an abortion.
You don't get to help yourself to technology you don't have to avoid the moral implications of that, your taking it out and you don't have anyplace to put it.

Some people might advocate that we should be sure it's dead before we take preemtive measures.
Bob wasen't espouseing that was he?
Most reasonable people don't.
Outside of that doing what needs doing is doing an abortion.
So your in favor of abortion to save the life of the mother.
Just say it like that and you don't have to talk in circles.

We aren't in favor of ending innocent life, it's a necessary outcome of the procedure to save the mother.

It's like the hypothetical where your mom and sister are drowing and you can only save one. You don't intentionally kill your sister/mom to save your mom/sister, you do everything you can to save them both and when one dies it's a tragedy.

Toast

I dont know that much about this stuff, but here's a question I would like answered. Apparantly, these so called "tubal pregnancies" kill the mother. But if the baby was left alone, would it survive? Or does a tubal pregnancy also kill the baby?

Silk Queen

I dont know that much about this stuff, but here's a question I would like answered. Apparantly, these so called "tubal pregnancies" kill the mother. But if the baby was left alone, would it survive? Or does a tubal pregnancy also kill the baby?
No the baby would not survive regardless, the baby grows in the tube and it is not so called by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.